Confirm Action

Are you sure you wish to do this?

Confirm Cancel
BCM
User Panel

Arrow Left Previous Page
Page / 2
Posted: 6/30/2016 2:56:46 PM EDT
I had a boss many years ago who was in his late 20s and owned a Lamborghini. One evening he was driving around the city and sees a group of young folks in a parking lot with the hoods up on their imports. He's bored and decides to pull in and chat. The story goes that they all thought it was a kit car, "who ever did this did a good job, look at the dash!" My European friend has an airplane in Germany; he told me that he doesn't ever tell people that he has it over there, not because he isn't proud of it, but that they instantly think that he's absolutely full of shit in spite of pictures, et cetera. It's been my experience that there's a bell-curve of display of wealth among people and that those who have the most tend to try their best to blend in, while others try to signal status by leasing expensive cars and they all find themselves in a circle-jerk, like going to a tech social and having it be full of recruiters instead of talented tech workers, or going to an open house and it being full of real estate agents and no buyers. I had a popular website with around 20,000 college kids from two universities in my early 20s. In spite of my name and photograph being on the front page, people didn't believe that it was me when I'd go out.
Link Posted: 6/30/2016 3:01:30 PM EDT
[#1]
Opulence, you has it OP.

I just let the haters pet my miniature giraffe and that shuts 'em up.
Link Posted: 6/30/2016 3:03:24 PM EDT
[#2]
I think if I was super wealthy and powerful.....I would not waste my time wondering if people believed me or not......because I wouldn't even bring it up.
Link Posted: 6/30/2016 3:03:49 PM EDT
[#3]
So many bullshitters out there, that not being believed is not uncommon.

Fortunately, we wealthy, famous, powerful people often do not feel the need to be ostentatious - so it's not a bad thing.
Link Posted: 6/30/2016 3:04:05 PM EDT
[#4]
If I was wealthy and powerful I would buy a team membership.
Link Posted: 6/30/2016 3:05:06 PM EDT
[#5]
Discussion ForumsJump to Quoted PostQuote History
Quoted:
I think if I was super wealthy and powerful.....I would not waste my time wondering if people believed me or not......because I wouldn't even bring it up.
View Quote

Yup.

OPSEC.

I'm broke as a joke son.
Link Posted: 6/30/2016 3:05:41 PM EDT
[#6]
Quoted:
View Quote

Link Posted: 6/30/2016 3:06:01 PM EDT
[#7]
I don't recognize your avatar.
Link Posted: 6/30/2016 3:07:07 PM EDT
[#8]
OP, I'm sorry no one believes you're Mark Zuckerberg.
Link Posted: 6/30/2016 3:07:17 PM EDT
[#9]
A guy that worked for me claimed to have been inducted into the College Football Hall of Fame, none of us believed him.  Next day he shows up to work with a dinner plate sized ring on his finger.  OK so maybe he's telling the truth, quick google search confirmed he wasn't bullshitting.
Link Posted: 6/30/2016 3:07:31 PM EDT
[#10]
It is my goal to one day become rich and powerful so that I can spend my free time with other rich and powerful people, so that I can engage in some SERIOUS dick measuring and not worry about what the proles and unwashed little people think.

[blue blood] Well, MY eighty foot yacht has a HELIPAD and a little mini yacht in a pool on the back of it. [/blue blood]

[me raising champagne glass] Au Chante! How do you keep the poors away from it? [me raising champagne glass]
Link Posted: 6/30/2016 3:09:42 PM EDT
[#11]
What money should buy is not lifeless objects but power over people.
Link Posted: 6/30/2016 3:10:20 PM EDT
[#12]
Liars believe that everyone is a liar.
Link Posted: 6/30/2016 3:10:25 PM EDT
[#13]

Quoted:

It is my goal to one day become rich and powerful so that I can spend my free time with other rich and powerful people, so that I can engage in some SERIOUS dick measuring and not worry about what the proles and unwashed little people think.

[blue blood] Well, MY eighty foot yacht has a HELIPAD and a little mini yacht in a pool on the back of it. [/blue blood]

[me raising champagne glass] Au Chante! How do you keep the poors away from it? [me raising champagne glass]
View Quote
Rich people don't do that, poor slobs with money do.

Link Posted: 6/30/2016 3:13:59 PM EDT
[#14]
How you treat people is infinitely more important than how rich you are.
Link Posted: 6/30/2016 3:15:38 PM EDT
[#15]
The number of people who claim to have wealth far exceeds the number of people who actually have wealth.  This leads most of us to the conclusion your probably lying.
Link Posted: 6/30/2016 3:16:25 PM EDT
[#16]
Quoted:

View Quote View All Quotes
View All Quotes
Quoted:
Quoted:

Then all the rich people I know are poor slobs with money because they are all about the subtle "lets go out on my new veranda so we can see my private petting zoo" dick swinging.

Just last weekend I was at a guy's house and he was praising the benefits of a 2016 Maserati Quatroporte over the 2015... with my Mazda parked next to it.
Link Posted: 6/30/2016 3:16:33 PM EDT
[#17]
Oddly enough, the wealthy often regale each other with their plebeian exploits.  You will find a great sense of adventure among some wealthy. You will also find a very powerful will.   These things tend to produce people who are accomplished in many fields. The proverbial polymath.  Each component of such a persons life is believable, but the totality of them isn't.  

If you meet a non famous Bruce Dickinson or Jason Everman type person,  most people would not believe their stories.  Those kinds of people are out there.
Link Posted: 6/30/2016 3:16:36 PM EDT
[#18]
The best part of having enough money to buy extravagant shit is NOT buying extravagant shit.
Link Posted: 6/30/2016 3:26:56 PM EDT
[#19]
I got a penthouse with a helicopter pad on the roof and snipers in the other building to make sure no one steals my helicopter.
Link Posted: 6/30/2016 3:32:33 PM EDT
[#20]
Quoted:
The best part of having enough money to buy extravagant shit is NOT buying extravagant shit.
View Quote

Link Posted: 6/30/2016 3:47:25 PM EDT
[#21]
Quoted:
View Quote

I am wealthy and powerful because I'm frugal.
Link Posted: 6/30/2016 3:53:54 PM EDT
[#22]
Quoted:

View All Quotes
Quoted:
Quoted:

This has been my experience too
Link Posted: 6/30/2016 3:56:43 PM EDT
[#23]
Quoted:
What money should buy is not lifeless objects but power over people.
View Quote

Hillary, is that you?!
Link Posted: 6/30/2016 4:09:35 PM EDT
[#24]
if I was worth a billion dollars.. you would never know it... id drive a dodge / ford / chevy 4x4 truck, and live in a $200,000 house... of course my house would be on 5000 acres, but hey.. no one needs to know how big my yard is.
Link Posted: 6/30/2016 4:11:16 PM EDT
[#25]
Link Posted: 6/30/2016 4:12:23 PM EDT
[#26]
Quoted:
I don't recognize your avatar.
View Quote

DK-Proflol.jpg

Link Posted: 6/30/2016 4:13:18 PM EDT
[#27]
What city would you drive a Lamborghini to in Somalia ?
Link Posted: 6/30/2016 4:13:53 PM EDT
[#28]
Quoted:
View Quote

St. Paul, MN.
Link Posted: 6/30/2016 4:17:13 PM EDT
[#29]
Why do you care...?
Link Posted: 6/30/2016 4:19:35 PM EDT
[#30]
Quoted:

Enchanté, you boor
View All Quotes
Quoted:
Quoted:

Enchanté, you boor

I think somewhere between 100 and 300 million will correct my prole French.
Link Posted: 6/30/2016 4:21:36 PM EDT
[#31]

Jeez!  Lots of envy on this thread.
Link Posted: 6/30/2016 4:24:18 PM EDT
[#32]
Link Posted: 6/30/2016 4:27:03 PM EDT
[#33]
OP is Mark Zuckerberg.
Link Posted: 6/30/2016 4:29:59 PM EDT
[#34]
Link Posted: 7/1/2016 12:10:49 AM EDT
[#35]
Quoted:

St. Paul, MN.
View All Quotes
Quoted:
Quoted:

St. Paul, MN.

Ha!
Link Posted: 7/1/2016 2:07:24 AM EDT
[#36]
A young kid (17-18) complemented me on my truck as I was getting in it the other day. I thanked him and we started talking about cars.
He started going on about his BMW M5 and all the stuff he had done to it.
I thought he was full of shit, he had a surprising level of knowledge but my BS meter was pinging.

He breaks out his phone and starts showing my pics and video. Now I am thinking that he is some lucky kid who's dad lets him drive his car.

As he is scrolling through pics, he pauses on one that caught my eye.
A picture of the check made out to the BMW dealership, in his name for said car.
Turned out young dude is a pro skater and has made a few bucks.
Good for him.

I deal with high net worth people for a living. Some of the conversations I have had are pretty absurd.
One client went to the olympics in China. I asked if they had to fly commercial or if the corporate jet had enough leg to make it to Beijing from San Diego.
He said 737BBJ, so yeah. I was like, OH.

Another client asked me to help her pick out the color for her new Bentley. She already had a Continental GT, she was ordering a Flying Spur because it would be more practical to haul her kid around in.

As far as truly wealthy people showing their wealth. Some do, some don't. Some just do it in certain ways.
One guy I deal with has a $20,000,000 beach house and a sprawling estate in Canada.
His fleet of cars:
2 old suburbans and a mini cooper in Canada
1 15 year old Honda minivan and a newer Mini cooper in California.
I mean I own more cars then this dude.
And he flys coach everywhere.

I have another client that collects hotel chains and mansions as a hobby. That dude just oozes "rich guy" everywhere he goes. One of Trump's buddies.

One of the top 3 wealthiest people I dealt with would wear bib overalls, shitkicker boots, wore a rolex that probably cost as much as my house and drove a Bentley. Guy was an utter riot.

Out of all of it, I have learned one thing.
Being wealthy seems to be a whole lot of work in and of itself.
I could use a few more bucks but I don't think I would trade places with them.

Link Posted: 7/1/2016 2:27:40 AM EDT
[#37]
When talking with people, I've developed kind of a Schrödinger's conversational philosophy.
I simultaneously believe they're full of shit and telling me the truth. Durring harvest season especially . That early twenties, shabby looking dude might just be a junky or he could just be coming back down to civilization from his palace up in the hills for the first time this year.
Link Posted: 7/1/2016 2:33:29 AM EDT
[#38]
Quoted:
How you treat people is infinitely more important than how rich you are.
View Quote

Lol

Sounds like something the poors say

Link Posted: 7/1/2016 2:34:41 AM EDT
[#39]
Quoted:
I got a penthouse with a helicopter pad on the roof and snipers in the other building to make sure no one steals my helicopter.
View Quote

I don't believe you
Link Posted: 7/1/2016 2:42:47 AM EDT
[#40]
Quoted:
I had a boss many years ago who was in his late 20s and owned a Lamborghini. One evening he was driving around the city and sees a group of young folks in a parking lot with the hoods up on their imports. He's bored and decides to pull in and chat. The story goes that they all thought it was a kit car, "who ever did this did a good job, look at the dash!" My European friend has an airplane in Germany; he told me that he doesn't ever tell people that he has it over there, not because he isn't proud of it, but that they instantly think that he's absolutely full of shit in spite of pictures, et cetera. It's been my experience that there's a bell-curve of display of wealth among people and that those who have the most tend to try their best to blend in, while others try to signal status by leasing expensive cars and they all find themselves in a circle-jerk, like going to a tech social and having it be full of recruiters instead of talented tech workers, or going to an open house and it being full of real estate agents and no buyers. I had a popular website with around 20,000 college kids from two universities in my early 20s. In spite of my name and photograph being on the front page, people didn't believe that it was me when I'd go out.
View Quote

There are people who don't believe we walked on the moon despite photographs, video footage, and more witnesses (many still living) than I can count.

Seriously, who cares what some stranger thinks about the things you have?   I don't.    So long as they are not picking you out as their next mark, what they think doesn't really matter to me.

Of course that brings us to the part in red which has been my experience as well.   I have had the distinct displeasure to work with quite a few people who were once wealthy (or had lost considerable wealth) because they were suckered into scams, schemes, and other forms of theft and graft.    This is one of those areas of life where giving a damn what some stranger thinks of your life can open yourself up to very interesting consequences.

I have never felt the need to advertise what I own to anyone else however if you or someone else does, great.   Life is short; live it up and enjoy.  

Link Posted: 7/1/2016 2:46:11 AM EDT
[#41]
Not sure what I just read.  I have brother that makes mid-seven figures – drives an Accord.  His last one had 250K+ miles.  People with real money don’t piss it away.

Link Posted: 7/1/2016 2:57:56 AM EDT
[#42]
Quoted:
People with real money don’t piss it away.
View Quote

The ones who made it themselves don't piss it away in THOSE kinds of pursuits.

Second or third generation trustafarians sure as shit do, though....  Lottery winners, too.
Link Posted: 7/1/2016 3:02:41 AM EDT
[#43]
Quoted:
Not sure what I just read.  I have brother that makes mid-seven figures – drives an Accord.  His last one had 250K+ miles.  People with real money don’t piss it away.

View Quote

This is a demonstrably false statement.

There are things that only the very wealthy can afford.  Be it very expensive cars, jewelry, high end gambling....whatever.  Some people with money piss away piles of money. They are the only ones who can do it at some levels.

There are plenty of wealthy people who usually live modestly in public. There are also plenty who do not.  The other issue is the most expensive things are somewhat private, such as a private jet, where as no one can tell the difference between the billionaire and the living beyond his means Lawyer who both pulled into Starbucks in a Ferrari.    A moderately successful person can leverage their lifestyle to look like they are rich, but there are simply some things they can not do.  Your doctor might have a million dollar home and a new Benz but he can't credit his way into an 150 foot yacht or own a large private Jet. (both things people would not see or be a part of unless invited in or also around those things)  

The wealthy are also usually not famous if the do not want to be. Few people would recognize, by name or face, 90% of the people on the 400 list.  Even on a smaller scale, next to no one would recognize the guy who owns all the Taco Bells in town, but the guy may have a private jet and car collection.
Link Posted: 7/1/2016 3:07:58 AM EDT
[#44]
Quoted:

View All Quotes
Quoted:
Quoted:

Hear, hear! That's how you do it.

Don't blow fucking money and invest it wisely.
Link Posted: 7/1/2016 3:20:43 AM EDT
[#45]
Quoted:

View All Quotes
Quoted:
Quoted:
Quoted:

In the traditional sense, this is a lie. It is a horrible lie and people believe it.  If you want to be rich, you dont save your way to being rich, you have to do things that will create breakthrough profits or enjoy a liquidity event.

Middle and upper middle class people can not usually frugal their way to being rich.   Sure, we all know the construct where some occupation lived frugal and saved a low seven figure amount.   That happens, but that person lived like shit to end up with a really nice retirement.   Good for them if that is what they wanted but instead of  living OK all along and retiring with a similar level of OK, they lived like shit to end up with a double or triple level of OK.  

Usable levels of real wealth (new wealth) are made by creating equity in something and getting past the debt service on it or a liquidity event.    Again, you simply can not frugal your way past a few million and that takes most of your life.   Ferrari collection and private jet money IS NOT a function of frugal living. It is a function of creating conditions.  

I understand this is a broad brush and there are exceptions and other methods but my point stands.
Link Posted: 7/1/2016 4:15:36 AM EDT
[#46]
Link Posted: 7/1/2016 4:29:34 AM EDT
[#47]
Quoted:

Second or third generation trustafarians sure as shit do, though....  Lottery winners, too.
View All Quotes
Quoted:
Quoted:
People with real money don’t piss it away.

You speak the truth.  Brother was given education and mindset, the rest he has accomplished through hard work & intelligence.

Link Posted: 7/1/2016 4:34:49 AM EDT
[#48]
Quoted:

There are things that only the very wealthy can afford.  Be it very expensive cars, jewelry, high end gambling....whatever.  Some people with money piss away piles of money. They are the only ones who can do it at some levels.

There are plenty of wealthy people who usually live modestly in public. There are also plenty who do not.  The other issue is the most expensive things are somewhat private, such as a private jet, where as no one can tell the difference between the billionaire and the living beyond his means Lawyer who both pulled into Starbucks in a Ferrari.    A moderately successful person can leverage their lifestyle to look like they are rich, but there are simply some things they can not do.  Your doctor might have a million dollar home and a new Benz but he can't credit his way into an 150 foot yacht or own a large private Jet. (both things people would not see or be a part of unless invited in or also around those things)  

The wealthy are also usually not famous if the do not want to be. Few people would recognize, by name or face, 90% of the people on the 400 list.  Even on a smaller scale, next to no one would recognize the guy who owns all the Taco Bells in town, but the guy may have a private jet and car collection.
View All Quotes
Quoted:
Quoted:

I promise I did not understand what OP wrote.  Also the things I said about my brother are most certainly true.

If you meant to say some wealthy people piss away money, then okay, sure they do.  They aren’t wealthy for long so they don’t count.  I was speaking of behaviors of wealthy people I know and it is a constant.

Link Posted: 7/1/2016 4:47:51 AM EDT
[#49]
Quoted:

I promise I did not understand what OP wrote.  Also the things I said about my brother are most certainly true.

If you meant to say some wealthy people piss away money, then okay, sure they do.  They aren’t wealthy for long so they don’t count.  I was speaking of behaviors of wealthy people I know and it is a constant.

View All Quotes
Quoted:
Quoted:
Quoted:

Of course I was not speaking about your brother.  It is also false to say "they aren't wealthy for long..."  

Again, there are some frivolities only the wealthy can afford and plenty of them engage in such things and stay wealthy. Sure, some dont, but statistically speaking the majority of those who become ultra high net worth people, even lottery winners (although they do lag behind), keep their wealth.

This is simply a function of math.  If you are worth 20 million or more and have an  income of two million or more a year,  you can engage in a lot of frivolity and still manage to get  even richer.   The margin of error rises with you bank account.    

Again, people outside the top 2% simply can not frugal there way to that level.  Not buying name brand potato chips and driving beat up cars for 40 years can make one comfortable in the end, even with a million or three, but that is not the same thing as actually being rich and able to enjoy that wealth as life grinds on.

Link Posted: 7/1/2016 4:58:04 AM EDT
[#50]
Quoted:

Again, there are some frivolities only the wealthy can afford and plenty of them engage in such things and stay wealthy. Sure, some dont, but statistically speaking the majority of those who become ultra high net worth people, even lottery winners (although they do lag behind), keep their wealth.

This is simply a function of math.  If you are worth 20 million or more and have an  income of two million or more a year,  you can engage in a lot of frivolity and still manage to get  even richer.   The margin of error rises with you bank account.    

Again, people outside the top 2% simply can not frugal there way to that level.  Not buying name brand potato chips and driving beat up cars for 40 years can make one comfortable in the end, even with a million or three, but that is not the same thing as actually being rich and able to enjoy that wealth as life grinds on.
View Quote

I started my engineering career designing jets for world leaders and Fortune 50 individuals.  So clearly, people at that level, as well as many others purchase luxurious items that average people can’t fathom.  That really wasn’t my point though.
Arrow Left Previous Page
Page / 2
Top Top