Confirm Action

Are you sure you wish to do this?

Confirm Cancel
BCM
User Panel

Arrow Left Previous Page
Page / 4
Posted: 5/1/2016 1:24:15 AM EDT
It did really well in the garden last year but this northerner doesn't know what to do with this stuff  besides pickling them.

So if I want to go out to the garden and pick some Okra what do I do with it? Just fry it up?
Link Posted: 5/1/2016 1:25:40 AM EDT
[#1]
Fried.

It is also good with potatoes and onion.
Link Posted: 5/1/2016 1:26:20 AM EDT
[#2]
Quoted:
It did really well in the garden last year but this northerner doesn't know what to do with this stuff  besides pickling them.

So if I want to go out to the garden and pick some Okra what do I do with it? Just fry it up?
View Quote

Link Posted: 5/1/2016 1:27:59 AM EDT
[#3]
Discussion ForumsJump to Quoted PostQuote History
Quoted:
Fried.

View Quote

Fried cut thin with cornmeal coating. The onions and potatoes just make it better. Cutting thin takes all the slimyness out of it. Down here in the south they pickle it. Although personally I don't care for that.
Link Posted: 5/1/2016 1:28:12 AM EDT
[#4]

Okra.  Huh.  What is it good for?  Absolutely nothin, uh huh.
Link Posted: 5/1/2016 1:28:21 AM EDT
[#5]
Coat with Cajun spices and fry it.
Link Posted: 5/1/2016 1:28:24 AM EDT
[#6]
Absolutely nothing.

Link Posted: 5/1/2016 1:28:41 AM EDT
[#7]

Quoted:

Fried.

View Quote
Yep, my Mom made it fried, crunchy with salt and pepper when I was young, and it was indeed awesome.

Link Posted: 5/1/2016 1:30:02 AM EDT
[#8]
okra makes a good natural thickener for soups and stews.
Link Posted: 5/1/2016 1:31:45 AM EDT
[#9]
Fried okra is God's gift to rednecks.

If you don't love fried okra your shit's all fucked up and you talk like a fag.
Link Posted: 5/1/2016 1:32:09 AM EDT
[#10]
fried okra is almost as good as french fries!
Link Posted: 5/1/2016 1:33:35 AM EDT
[#11]
Gumbo
Link Posted: 5/1/2016 1:33:58 AM EDT
[#12]
Pickled or fried.
Link Posted: 5/1/2016 1:34:48 AM EDT
[#13]
What is okra good for?

You either fry it (not for me except rarely, heart healthy diet and all,) or you sauté it, or you use it to thicken soups or stews, and then you shove it right not that big hole in the middle of your face, that's what you do with it.

Mind you, it is rare to encounter it in restaurants here, as okra was never part of traditional NOLA cuisine, but you can get it at some grocery stores.
Link Posted: 5/1/2016 1:35:16 AM EDT
[#14]
Pickled, as a garnish for a Bloody Mary.
Link Posted: 5/1/2016 1:38:02 AM EDT
[#15]
OH!
Krah!
HUH!
What is it good for?
Absolutly
Nothing
Good God Yall!
Link Posted: 5/1/2016 1:38:51 AM EDT
[#16]
Quoted:

View Quote

Agree as long as fresh and sliced thing with nice corn bread breading. Best shit out there. Does ok in gumbo if you like it stewed which I was born and raised in Texas so that is out and only fried is in. Although if you eat to much then you find out that it is pretty much pure fiber real quick.
Link Posted: 5/1/2016 1:40:08 AM EDT
[#17]

Quoted:

View Quote

Sir, you are a modern day Shakespeare.

Link Posted: 5/1/2016 1:40:21 AM EDT
[#18]
Quoted:
Absolutely nothing.
View Quote

Came to post this.
Link Posted: 5/1/2016 1:41:44 AM EDT
[#19]
It's a nice thickening agent for soups, if you have a need for such things.

Fried is about the only way I like it.
Link Posted: 5/1/2016 1:42:55 AM EDT
[#20]
Quoted:
Okra.  Huh.  What is it good for?  Absolutely nothin, uh huh.
View Quote

+1
Link Posted: 5/1/2016 1:43:24 AM EDT
[#21]
Quoted:

Came to post this.
View Quote View All Quotes
View All Quotes
Quoted:
Quoted:
Absolutely nothing.

Came to post this.

Besides frying and putting in your gumbo, you cook it in the peas from you garden. It's good eats that way.
Link Posted: 5/1/2016 1:43:33 AM EDT
[#22]
If you boil it down into a sludge, it can probably be used as a temporary fix if you need some wheel bearing grease.

Shit be nasty when boiled, dawg.
Link Posted: 5/1/2016 1:43:41 AM EDT
[#23]
Quoted:
What is okra good for?

You either fry it (not for me except rarely, heart healthy diet and all,) or you sauté it, or you use it to thicken soups or stews, and then you shove it right not that big hole in the middle of your face, that's what you do with it.

Mind you, it is rare to encounter it in restaurants here, as okra was never part of traditional NOLA cuisine, but you can get it at some grocery stores.
View Quote

Really not a NOLA thing yet it is one of the main ingredients of any gumbo recipe I have ever seen. Now it does great to thicken up stews and shit yet anything else it is just slimely. Maybe I am getting that from Dageaux's and the Coon Asses that I used to know.
Link Posted: 5/1/2016 1:44:12 AM EDT
[#24]
Lubricating a ship launch.  But bananas are better.
Link Posted: 5/1/2016 1:44:34 AM EDT
[#25]
You mean I can put Okra in fried potato and onion? Now we are talking.

When I make fried potatoes and onion I put the onion in near the end so it doesn't get overcooked. When does the Okra get put in?
Link Posted: 5/1/2016 1:45:07 AM EDT
[#26]
fried okra, fried cat fish and hush puppies with honey, miss my Grandmother
Link Posted: 5/1/2016 1:45:56 AM EDT
[#27]
Cajuns will eat anything
Link Posted: 5/1/2016 1:47:56 AM EDT
[#28]
Quoted:

Really not a NOLA thing yet it is one of the main ingredients of any gumbo recipe I have ever seen. Now it does great to thicken up stews and shit yet anything else it is just slimely. Maybe I am getting that from Dageaux's and the Coon Asses that I used to know.
View All Quotes
Quoted:
Quoted:
What is okra good for?

*trggering intensifies*

Mais, put dat in da gumbo!
Link Posted: 5/1/2016 1:48:03 AM EDT
[#29]
Quoted:

Besides frying and putting in your gumbo, you cook it in the peas from you garden. It's good eats that way.
View All Quotes
Quoted:
Quoted:
Quoted:
Absolutely nothing.

Came to post this.

Cooking peas from the garden? Blasphemy. We're lucky if some make it to the kitchen.
Link Posted: 5/1/2016 1:48:32 AM EDT
[#30]
Quoted:

Came to post this.
View All Quotes
Quoted:
Quoted:
Absolutely nothing.

Came to post this.

Tsk tsk.

I did have a certain ambivalence to okra growing up, partially fueled by visits to my great-grandfather's farm during the years when the only crop that did well enough to provide enough surplus above sales was........okra.  (And his pecan trees.) So I've been through menus which included a breakfast of fried okra, with a side of pickled okra and a side of sautéed okra, with pecans for dessert, a lunch of pecans with a side of pickled okra, and a supper of sautéed okra, with a side of fried okra, a side of pecans, and a dessert of pickled okra.
Link Posted: 5/1/2016 1:49:08 AM EDT
[#31]
Quoted:

When I make fried potatoes and onion I put the onion in near the end so it doesn't get overcooked. When does the Okra get put in?
View Quote

Start with the taters, they take the longest. Add the onion and cornmeal dredged okra after the potatoes have had a minute or two.

Slice the okra thinner than you would just making fried okra on it's own.

That's just about the best fried side dish ever.
Link Posted: 5/1/2016 1:49:10 AM EDT
[#32]
Gumbo...
Link Posted: 5/1/2016 1:49:33 AM EDT
[#33]
Gumbo or jambalaya
Link Posted: 5/1/2016 1:49:50 AM EDT
[#34]

Everything.
Link Posted: 5/1/2016 1:50:22 AM EDT
[#35]
Shrimp and okra gumbo is one of my favorites.

However it's pretty difficult to make well; even most of the restaurants around here can't even master it so I just leave it up to my grandmother
Link Posted: 5/1/2016 1:50:56 AM EDT
[#36]
Quoted:

View All Quotes
Quoted:
Quoted:
What is okra good for?

In the rest of LA, okra is in gumbo.  But here, for reasons I cannot explain, tons of people make gumbo without a share of okra in it.  It's weird.

And I mean, the phenomenon is weird, not the gumbo----I'm talking about folks that make good gumbo, just without okra in it.
Link Posted: 5/1/2016 1:51:35 AM EDT
[#37]
http://toriavey.com/toris-kitchen/2014/04/middle-eastern-okra-bamya/

Indian Bindi recipes are available on the interwebz too
Link Posted: 5/1/2016 1:52:37 AM EDT
[#38]
Quoted:

View Quote

Never done it like that (see above, not doing a lot of frying these days,) but it should go in before the onion I'm thinking.  Not sure on your potato and onion frying practices, so I can't tell you more than that.
Link Posted: 5/1/2016 1:53:45 AM EDT
[#39]
Quoted:

Start with the taters, they take the longest. Add the onion and cornmeal dredged okra after the potatoes have had a minute or two.

View All Quotes
Quoted:
Quoted:

That with cheese and eggs sounds like a perfect 10 o'clock hungover breakfast.
Link Posted: 5/1/2016 1:58:34 AM EDT
[#40]
Nasty.
Link Posted: 5/1/2016 1:59:35 AM EDT
[#41]
Quoted:
View Quote

Like dipping a cat turd in menstrual blood.
Link Posted: 5/1/2016 2:00:51 AM EDT
[#42]
Quoted:

View All Quotes
Quoted:
Quoted:

You are fired.
Link Posted: 5/1/2016 2:02:50 AM EDT
[#43]
Quoted:

Never done it like that (see above, not doing a lot of frying these days,) but it should go in before the onion I'm thinking.  Not sure on your potato and onion frying practices, so I can't tell you more than that.
View All Quotes
Quoted:
Quoted:

I pan fry in peanut oil with a 12" cast iron Lodge, potatoes about 1/2" cubed. They take 12 to 15 minutes. I add the diced onion 3 minutes before the end. They get salt and paper towels when the come out of the pan.
Link Posted: 5/1/2016 2:04:56 AM EDT
[#44]
Quoted:

You are fired.
View All Quotes
Quoted:
Quoted:
Quoted:

You are fired.

I don't like crayfish much either. And don't get me started on those muddy assed oysters.
Link Posted: 5/1/2016 2:05:07 AM EDT
[#45]
What the hell is up wit ya'll? All these answers and noone has mentioned stewed okra and tomatoes, with some onions and a little Tony Chachere's, toss in a few bacon strips, pinch o garlic,  serve over a little rice with some andouille sausage! Mon cherie, das fit for a king I guarantee. Coupla Abita Springs cold beers and some cornbread, tis a taste of paradise you heathens. Get wid the program son............
Link Posted: 5/1/2016 2:10:59 AM EDT
[#46]
Quoted:
fried okra is almost as good as french fries!
View Quote

Better.

I used to "steel" fried okra off my pops plate. Granny started to make extra because I always ate all of Pop's every time.
Link Posted: 5/1/2016 2:13:48 AM EDT
[#47]
Quoted:

View Quote

This.

And proper Gumbo...of course.
Link Posted: 5/1/2016 2:17:19 AM EDT
[#48]
Quoted:
What the hell is up wit ya'll? All these answers and noone has mentioned stewed okra and tomatoes, with some onions and a little Tony Chachere's, toss in a few bacon strips, pinch o garlic,  serve over a little rice with some andouille sausage! Mon cherie, das fit for a king I guarantee. Coupla Abita Springs cold beers and some cornbread, tis a taste of paradise you heathens. Get wid the program son............
View Quote

I'm guessing you were raised in the triangle, or you are a transplant. Either way, keep the food coming!
Link Posted: 5/1/2016 2:21:54 AM EDT
[#49]
Lived in the triangle for awhile many moons ago, and took advantage of learning all I could about the awesome food from that time of my life, including how to cook a lot of it. Yummmmmmm.
Link Posted: 5/1/2016 2:38:19 AM EDT
[#50]

Quoted:

This.

View All Quotes
Quoted:

Quoted:

This.

And Jambalaya.

Okra is delicious. It's how I can tell if someone is actually from the South or if they're full of shit. Lots of people want to throw on an accent and fly a battle flag while spinning a yarn about how Southern they are. If fried okra is on the menu at a chicken joint and you skip it for some bullshit like mashed potatoes or baked beans
Arrow Left Previous Page
Page / 4
Close Join Our Mail List to Stay Up To Date! Win a FREE Membership!

Sign up for the ARFCOM weekly newsletter and be entered to win a free ARFCOM membership. One new winner* is announced every week!

You will receive an email every Friday morning featuring the latest chatter from the hottest topics, breaking news surrounding legislation, as well as exclusive deals only available to ARFCOM email subscribers.

By signing up you agree to our User Agreement. *Must have a registered ARFCOM account to win.
Top Top