Confirm Cancel
BCM
User Panel

Site Notices
Arrow Left Previous Page
Page / 3
Posted: 4/30/2016 4:02:22 AM EDT
Shoot on sight or not?

I shoot every one I see if it's reasonable to do so.

Fucking vegetarian coyotes.
Link Posted: 4/30/2016 6:12:58 AM EDT
[#1]
on sight
Link Posted: 4/30/2016 6:24:11 AM EDT
[#2]
Teach hunting skills to the next generation with them.  

There was a day when with two 400 round bricks of .22 (less than $20.00 total) you could spend all day in parts of the west blasting bunnies.  Best education a young boy or girl could get.
Link Posted: 4/30/2016 6:49:01 AM EDT
[#3]
Terminated with extreme prejudice.
Link Posted: 4/30/2016 6:59:33 AM EDT
[#4]
In before someone says "those poor bunnies".
Link Posted: 4/30/2016 6:59:50 AM EDT
[#5]
For us easterners, why?

Cottontails around here are tasty
Link Posted: 4/30/2016 7:02:45 AM EDT
[#6]
Link Posted: 4/30/2016 7:04:02 AM EDT
[#7]
Discussion ForumsJump to Quoted PostQuote History
Quoted:
For us easterners, why?

Cottontails around here are tasty
View Quote

Jack rabbits are not a game animial they are considered a pest in the same class as a yote. No license needed to take either in NV.
Link Posted: 4/30/2016 7:06:11 AM EDT
[#8]
Seems like it would be great fun to let loose a couple sighthounds and let them work their magic.
Link Posted: 4/30/2016 7:54:37 AM EDT
[#9]
Why are they pests? I walked up on one when I was in Wyoming a couple weeks ago. Didn't even bother taking a shot at it. My dad said he used to sit on the back porch and shoot them when he was a kid here in Florida. Now they are gone. Supposedly there is still a population down around the international airport in Miami but I've never seen one.
Link Posted: 4/30/2016 8:01:53 AM EDT
[#10]
When I lived in Nevada I used to drive out by Delamar Lake and shoot them for hours.  I nailed about 50 on one trip.  It all came from failing to call in any coyotes one day.  My friends and I realized we enjoyed shooting jack rabbits more and we racked up a good number of kills.
Link Posted: 4/30/2016 8:01:56 AM EDT
[#11]
They pretty much disappeared around here about the same time that the horned toads did.

Still see one every now and then, but not like they once were.

Link Posted: 4/30/2016 8:04:22 AM EDT
[#12]
Quoted:
Teach hunting skills to the next generation with them.  

There was a day when with two 400 round bricks of .22 (less than $20.00 total) you could spend all day in parts of the west blasting bunnies.  Best education a young boy or girl could get.
View Quote

There are no more jack rabbits in west tx because my cousin and I killed them ALL.
Link Posted: 4/30/2016 8:29:35 AM EDT
[#13]
I can remember seeing big nasty jack rabbits when I was going through basic training at Lackland AFB in San Antonio, TX.  I was standing in a formation outside a building waiting to inprocess when right at the edge of my line of sight was a big one.  Being from Ohio I had never seen anything like it.  Those ugly fuckers were everywhere and all I wanted to do was shoot one.  I could have cleaned up with a nice .25 caliber pellet gun.  Come to think of it, that could have kept me from wanting to choke people when I was there.  Going to Air Training Education Command bases does that to me.
Link Posted: 4/30/2016 9:17:05 AM EDT
[#14]
Quoted:
Why are they pests? I walked up on one when I was in Wyoming a couple weeks ago. Didn't even bother taking a shot at it. My dad said he used to sit on the back porch and shoot them when he was a kid here in Florida. Now they are gone. Supposedly there is still a population down around the international airport in Miami but I've never seen one.
View Quote

LOL ask my wife! She has an extensive garden in the back yard. They dig up all her plants.
Link Posted: 4/30/2016 9:28:14 AM EDT
[#15]
Quoted:

LOL ask my wife! She has an extensive garden in the back yard. They dig up all her plants.
View Quote View All Quotes
View All Quotes
Quoted:
Quoted:

So? We have to kill everything because your stupid garden?
Link Posted: 4/30/2016 9:38:21 AM EDT
[#16]
Used to be a nice population of snowshoe hares in the northern half of Wi too...the DNR brought in fishers....
The DNR has been saying that they are just on the downhill of a 7 yr cycle....
Haven't seen hide nor hare in 30 yrs.
Link Posted: 4/30/2016 9:43:52 AM EDT
[#17]
My dad shoots them and cotton tails on site now after the vet told him their urine on grass and feed for the cows can cause health problems.  This after one of his cows got sick and couldn't have calves any more.  We had lots of rabbits to begin with here and they seemed to have had a record mating season last year.
Link Posted: 4/30/2016 9:44:42 AM EDT
[#18]
Quoted:
They pretty much disappeared around here about the same time that the horned toads did.

Still see one every now and then, but not like they once were.

View Quote

My grandfather talked about filling the backs of trucks with jackrabbits. Now its a pretty big deal just to see one in this area.
Link Posted: 4/30/2016 10:01:47 AM EDT
[#19]
Odd thump sound when hit with .22.  Some just stand there then fall over minutes later.
Link Posted: 4/30/2016 10:05:48 AM EDT
[#20]
Used to love chasing them down on our YZ 250s as a kid in the high desert of CA.  Some would drop dead others would get so tired you could park you bike and walk up to them and grab them by the ears.

50/50 when you have a buddy on another bike chase with you 25/75 when trying it alone.  Was good sport.
Link Posted: 4/30/2016 10:07:03 AM EDT
[#21]
Quoted:

View All Quotes
Quoted:
Quoted:
Quoted:

No. We kill the ones that dig up the garden.

15'ers are getting out of hand.
Link Posted: 4/30/2016 10:08:31 AM EDT
[#22]
Quoted:
Used to love chasing them down on our YZ 250s as a kid in the high desert of CA.  Some would drop dead others would get so tired you could park you bike and walk up to them and grab them by the ears.

50/50 when you have a buddy on another bike chase with you 25/75 when trying it alone.  Was good sport.
View Quote

My dad used to run them down on foot. Cursorial hunting - only humans and wolves do it, and only humans can do it alone.

Posted Via AR15.Com Mobile
Link Posted: 4/30/2016 10:14:06 AM EDT
[#23]
Jacks are good practice. They run fast and erratically through brush. Lots of fun.

Link Posted: 4/30/2016 10:22:48 AM EDT
[#24]
On sight if you have an abundance or are ranching. 4 or 5 of them can eat as much as a goat, sheep, or whitetail
Link Posted: 4/30/2016 10:23:54 AM EDT
[#25]
My dad always said they were full of worms, never tried to eat one, probably tough and stringy as hell.
Link Posted: 4/30/2016 10:25:09 AM EDT
[#26]

Quoted:

View Quote

They will decimate a sugar beet crop.  They just go down the row killing one after another. I always have an AR with me to whack them.

Link Posted: 4/30/2016 10:25:12 AM EDT
[#27]
Moving target pistol quick draw practice.
Link Posted: 4/30/2016 10:33:03 AM EDT
[#28]
We have cute cottontails around here.
I saw a picture of a Jackrabbit when I was 7.

I have wanted to kill that ugly bug eyed sucker ever since
Link Posted: 4/30/2016 10:38:14 AM EDT
[#29]
Quoted:
Jacks are good practice. They run fast and erratically through brush. Lots of fun.

<a href="http://s947.photobucket.com/user/Lungbuster_photos/media/Hunting/46D25B58-6677-431D-8EB8-789583831F68_zpsvnj7nfxg.jpg.html" target="_blank">http://i947.photobucket.com/albums/ad314/Lungbuster_photos/Hunting/46D25B58-6677-431D-8EB8-789583831F68_zpsvnj7nfxg.jpg</a>

<a href="http://s947.photobucket.com/user/Lungbuster_photos/media/Hunting/CC8548DF-EAB8-4E2D-B3C1-CC20DA6A8FD5_zpsdrsde8ns.jpg.html" target="_blank">http://i947.photobucket.com/albums/ad314/Lungbuster_photos/Hunting/CC8548DF-EAB8-4E2D-B3C1-CC20DA6A8FD5_zpsdrsde8ns.jpg</a>

<a href="http://s947.photobucket.com/user/Lungbuster_photos/media/Hunting/7CB5E81E-8112-43B9-BE86-C678B34A5A16_zpsmlpddwvh.jpg.html" target="_blank">http://i947.photobucket.com/albums/ad314/Lungbuster_photos/Hunting/7CB5E81E-8112-43B9-BE86-C678B34A5A16_zpsmlpddwvh.jpg</a>

<a href="http://s947.photobucket.com/user/Lungbuster_photos/media/Hunting/47C50C5A-AAAA-49A2-8E62-7E879C59F78C_zpsdcdj7cfy.jpg.html" target="_blank">http://i947.photobucket.com/albums/ad314/Lungbuster_photos/Hunting/47C50C5A-AAAA-49A2-8E62-7E879C59F78C_zpsdcdj7cfy.jpg</a>

<a href="http://s947.photobucket.com/user/Lungbuster_photos/media/Hunting/EE77B9CE-690E-4219-BBEE-641F45520B44_zpsdlpkaost.jpg.html" target="_blank">http://i947.photobucket.com/albums/ad314/Lungbuster_photos/Hunting/EE77B9CE-690E-4219-BBEE-641F45520B44_zpsdlpkaost.jpg</a>
View Quote

Was just going to post that this thread is useless without pics of dead jackrabbits then you went and saved it.   The 10/22 was made for that kind of work.
Link Posted: 4/30/2016 10:21:32 PM EDT
[#30]
Quoted:
Odd thump sound when hit with .22.  Some just stand there then fall over minutes later.
View Quote

Yep. About the only .22 lr rifle I use these days is a Marlin 39A with a 20" barrel. At 30 yards or more it won't even make it all the way through some of those tough bastards.

There aren't as many as there used to be in Bosque county but they sure aren't going extinct.
Link Posted: 4/30/2016 10:28:29 PM EDT
[#31]
I would shoot on sight, too.

If I lived where I could .

Link Posted: 4/30/2016 10:32:14 PM EDT
[#32]
I give them a pass.  Anything that lives by outrunning a coyote has my respect.  OTOH I have to thin out the cottontails every now and then, next week is rabbit season as the dumpster gets hauled on Friday.  Jacks are too wild to come in the yard or near the garden.
Link Posted: 4/30/2016 10:41:15 PM EDT
[#33]
Quoted:

View All Quotes
Quoted:
Quoted:
Quoted:

They are foul, mangy, LARGE pests. I might try to eat one if I was starving to death and no worm ridden coyote was available.

Just one will ruin a garden over night. It's not like they just eat a couple of tomatoes or squash. They will dig everything up. Uproot plants they don't even seem to eat on.

Looking for grubs or maybe eat on the roots or just fucking evil.

I don't touch them once I shoot them unless I need to fling them over a fence. And then I wear gloves.
Link Posted: 4/30/2016 10:42:40 PM EDT
[#34]
Quoted:
My dad shoots them and cotton tails on site now after the vet told him their urine on grass and feed for the cows can cause health problems.  This after one of his cows got sick and couldn't have calves any more.  We had lots of rabbits to begin with here and they seemed to have had a record mating season last year.
View Quote

Your dad needs a new vet.
Link Posted: 4/30/2016 11:23:23 PM EDT
[#35]
I don't kill what I don't plan to eat.
Link Posted: 4/30/2016 11:34:00 PM EDT
[#36]
Quoted:
View Quote

Wait another year or two, the armadillos will be in TN to change your mind.
Link Posted: 4/30/2016 11:36:29 PM EDT
[#37]
I still hunt them for fun. I wouldn't eat one unless I was real hungry. Not much left after COM impact wit a 60gr V-max at 5.56mm velocities though.

Around here, they are educated... almost NEED to have a centerfire rifle to be able to reach them, running 100+ yards out in the sage. They don't hold as tight and flush like pheasants anymore.

Might bump into some tomorrow.
Link Posted: 4/30/2016 11:36:43 PM EDT
[#38]
Quoted:
View Quote

You'd kill jack rabbits if you'd ever had to deal with them. Theoretically you can eat them.

Armadillos as well, now that they've been mentioned.
Link Posted: 4/30/2016 11:39:07 PM EDT
[#39]

Quoted:
View All Quotes
Quoted:

Quoted:

Those fuckers carry plague (yersinia pestis).

Link Posted: 4/30/2016 11:42:21 PM EDT
[#40]
Quoted:

View All Quotes
Quoted:
Quoted:
Quoted:

No, they can carry leprosy though.
Link Posted: 4/30/2016 11:45:02 PM EDT
[#41]
Give them the bayonet!

They're everywhere out here. Planning to go out and reduce the population a bit this next weekend with a 6" .357 and a PGO 12-ga, to make it interesting. What sort of shot size is recommended? I have birdshot, but don't think it's big enough, and 00 might be too big.
Link Posted: 4/30/2016 11:46:14 PM EDT
[#42]

Quoted:
View All Quotes
Quoted:
Quoted:

Quoted:

Quoted:

Opps, that's what I was thinking.

Sorry, I was initially thinking of prairie dogs.
Good riddance to them as well.

Link Posted: 4/30/2016 11:48:37 PM EDT
[#43]
Me and the Son in law would go find a hill and snipe them with the ARs . Who ever made the longest shot didn't have to buy beer that night. Those are great memories. The drought we went through a few years ago really made a dent on the rabbits and quail.
Link Posted: 4/30/2016 11:51:09 PM EDT
[#44]
i thump them on sight during season.

300 blackout has a good way of turning the lights off real fast.
22-250 does well and will levitate their ears with head shots.

tried cooking a few up a couple of different ways and different ways and never found a way i liked them
Link Posted: 4/30/2016 11:51:57 PM EDT
[#45]
I'm starting to see them in big numbers again, seems like they've exploded the last few years in NV-S.Utah. They were pretty scarce for almost 20 yrs, now I'm seeing tons of them again. Not like the bunny bash days, but definately way more in the last few years. You could definately burn through a brick of .22 on a good night if you were lettin them rip.
Link Posted: 4/30/2016 11:52:41 PM EDT
[#46]
4 seems to do well for me
Link Posted: 4/30/2016 11:54:19 PM EDT
[#47]
Quoted:

http://i1283.photobucket.com/albums/a560/zaxpowerwagon/DBCADB33-35E5-4860-A8F0-5B008C62AC4B_zpsvpi8pcc5.jpg

tried cooking a few up a couple of different ways and different ways and never found a way i liked them
View Quote

Pretty sure that's the Easter Bunny
Link Posted: 4/30/2016 11:54:58 PM EDT
[#48]
Quoted:

http://i1283.photobucket.com/albums/a560/zaxpowerwagon/DBCADB33-35E5-4860-A8F0-5B008C62AC4B_zpsvpi8pcc5.jpg

View Quote

My Grampa told me to shoot every one I saw. I asked him about eating them and he just laughed and said, "no".
Link Posted: 4/30/2016 11:56:59 PM EDT
[#49]

Quoted:
My Grampa told me to shoot every one I saw. I asked him about eating them and he just laughed and said, "no".
View All Quotes
Quoted:

Quoted:

Usually the oldest wisdom is the truest.

Link Posted: 4/30/2016 11:57:14 PM EDT
[#50]
Good practice to blast them.
Arrow Left Previous Page
Page / 3
Close Join Our Mail List to Stay Up To Date! Win a FREE Membership!

Sign up for the ARFCOM weekly newsletter and be entered to win a free ARFCOM membership. One new winner* is announced every week!

You will receive an email every Friday morning featuring the latest chatter from the hottest topics, breaking news surrounding legislation, as well as exclusive deals only available to ARFCOM email subscribers.

By signing up you agree to our User Agreement. *Must have a registered ARFCOM account to win.
Top Top