Confirm Action

Are you sure you wish to do this?

Confirm Cancel
BCM
User Panel

Arrow Left Previous Page
Page / 4
Posted: 2/13/2016 7:33:09 PM EDT
ARFcops, would you consent to a search of your personal car during a traffic stop?

Inspired by the 12 year old "lawyer up" thread.

Poll inbound.
Link Posted: 2/13/2016 7:37:12 PM EDT
[#1]
If a cop wanted to search my car after I identified myself, I'd probably look at him like he was mentally ill and say "No".
Link Posted: 2/13/2016 7:38:07 PM EDT
[#2]
Discussion ForumsJump to Quoted PostQuote History
Quoted:
If a cop wanted to search my car after I identified myself, I'd probably look at him like he was mentally ill and say "No".
View Quote

And first post nails the problem, if unintentionally.
Link Posted: 2/13/2016 7:38:34 PM EDT
[#3]
"lol you know better than that"

Link Posted: 2/13/2016 7:38:36 PM EDT
[#4]

Quoted:

View Quote
Only a mentally ill cop asks to search another cops car?

Link Posted: 2/13/2016 7:38:46 PM EDT
[#5]
Does my car match the description of one seen leaving the area of a child abduction? Sure, go ahead.

I don't give off doper vibes so can't imagine a scenario where I'd be subject of that sort of thing
Link Posted: 2/13/2016 7:41:24 PM EDT
[#6]
In before I have nothing to hide, so why object
Link Posted: 2/13/2016 7:41:32 PM EDT
[#7]
Quoted:
View Quote

I had a local cop disarm me once after I identified myself during a traffic stop of my personal vehicle. I was in my jurisdiction (state), he was out of his jurisdiction (town). I was scruffy because I was working dope so I identified myself. I complied because no good would have come out of a side-of-the-road fight. I filled a complaint. Nothing happened.

The chucklehead let me draw my own pistol and place it on top of the car. It was bizarre.
Link Posted: 2/13/2016 7:43:19 PM EDT
[#8]
I would,  so so I could write up a critique of his performance..
Link Posted: 2/13/2016 7:43:23 PM EDT
[#9]
I won't consent to a roadside search, neither should anyone else; however I'll continue to ask because criminals are stupid.
Link Posted: 2/13/2016 7:45:19 PM EDT
[#10]
Quoted:
View Quote View All Quotes
View All Quotes
Quoted:
Quoted:

Rat fucks and mentally ill.

Link Posted: 2/13/2016 7:47:26 PM EDT
[#11]

Quoted:
I had a local cop disarm me once after I identified myself during a traffic stop of my personal vehicle. I was in my jurisdiction (state), he was out of his jurisdiction (town). I was scruffy because I was working dope so I identified myself. I complied because no good would have come out of a side-of-the-road fight. I filled a complaint. Nothing happened.

The chucklehead let me draw my own pistol and place it on top of the car. It was bizarre.
View All Quotes
Quoted:

Quoted:

I would be very careful about drawing my weapon-even at the request of LE.

Unfortunately, I don't know what the right response/answer is.

"Dash cam shows driver drawing weapon and is shot by officer."
Link Posted: 2/13/2016 7:49:47 PM EDT
[#12]
Quoted:

View All Quotes
Quoted:
Quoted:

You tinned him and he continued on? There are some real winners out there.
Generally, if you're a cop, fire turkey, doc, nurse....the next words I speak are, "Drive safe".
Link Posted: 2/13/2016 7:50:14 PM EDT
[#13]

Quoted:

View All Quotes
Quoted:

Quoted:

that happened to me once.... cept im not LEO

Link Posted: 2/13/2016 7:50:16 PM EDT
[#14]
Zero fucks given, if I feel slighted I will take it up with his OIC after we are done.
Link Posted: 2/13/2016 7:51:04 PM EDT
[#15]
No.......for the hundredth time
Link Posted: 2/13/2016 7:52:32 PM EDT
[#16]
As I learned it doesn't matter if you say no, because he "smelled weed"
Link Posted: 2/13/2016 7:53:28 PM EDT
[#17]
Quoted:

Generally, if you're a cop, fire turkey, doc, nurse....the next words I speak are, "Drive safe".
View All Quotes
Quoted:
Quoted:
Quoted:

Lol, moar equal
Link Posted: 2/13/2016 7:53:38 PM EDT
[#18]
Abso-fucking-lutely not. (Ex-cop.)
Link Posted: 2/13/2016 7:53:50 PM EDT
[#19]
Tell them, got PC?  Then fuck off.
Link Posted: 2/13/2016 7:54:43 PM EDT
[#20]
Link Posted: 2/13/2016 7:55:00 PM EDT
[#21]
If I'm not in a hurry....sure.  
Link Posted: 2/13/2016 7:56:47 PM EDT
[#22]
Ask..............what are you looking for?  Or are you just fishing?

BTW, have your supervisor stop by and I'll consider your request.

Aloha, Mark
Link Posted: 2/13/2016 7:56:59 PM EDT
[#23]
Lol, moar equal
View Quote

Yes, the guy may be saving my ass...not more equal, more useful!
Link Posted: 2/13/2016 7:57:23 PM EDT
[#24]
Link Posted: 2/13/2016 7:59:29 PM EDT
[#25]
Quoted:
View Quote

This. No traffic stop ever gets past me identifying myself as a heavily armed LEO.

Haters can suck it.

Link Posted: 2/13/2016 8:00:07 PM EDT
[#26]
*misread the title

Link Posted: 2/13/2016 8:00:45 PM EDT
[#27]
Im in the, if you have nothing to hide why not.

edit: though I'm not a police hater like arfcom is so well known for.

edit two: I have nothing in my car except, a snowboard/boats and clothes for said activity in a backpack. An ice scraper, two pens, one flash light, one thing of Purrell hand sanitizer and some chapstick...along with a cord to charge my phone.

edit three: I'm not a cop, but it's the internet and I wanted to share my opinion.
Link Posted: 2/13/2016 8:03:14 PM EDT
[#28]
Depends.  Do I have my wetsuit in the car?
Link Posted: 2/13/2016 8:05:01 PM EDT
[#29]
Quoted:

Even if I smell or see weed. I always ask for consent to search first.

View All Quotes
Quoted:
Quoted:

Don't forget the all inclusive "appeared to be impaired"
That's a good one they like using when you don't consent..
One way or the other if they want us out of the car, they'll make it happen then search the fucking thing anyway.

2 classes of citizens here, maybe you don't act that way, but many flatfoots do.
Link Posted: 2/13/2016 8:05:28 PM EDT
[#30]
Quoted:
I won't consent to a roadside search, neither should anyone else; however I'll continue to ask because criminals are stupid.
View Quote

This.
Anyone who forfeits a right is a fool.
Link Posted: 2/13/2016 8:08:07 PM EDT
[#31]
Quoted:
No.

I did drive through some type of highway interdiction site outside of Anniston about three time in a rental car trying to get stopped and see what it was like from the other side.

With that said, the thread you mention and this don't compare. In the other thread a juvy pickup order can be issued based on whatever the cops know of his involvement.
View Quote

So you need probable cause to pick up an adult but a juvy can be arrested detained and taken to juvy or jail on mere suspicion?
Link Posted: 2/13/2016 8:08:18 PM EDT
[#32]
No, sir.  May I search your cruiser?
Link Posted: 2/13/2016 8:09:01 PM EDT
[#33]
Quoted:

View All Quotes
Quoted:
Quoted:
Quoted:

I agree. Hell, I did that with almost everyone after my first 6 months or so. I think that's why I got sent to work dope.

The only thing I can think of is that I'd known him since I was a kid and I was a bit of a troublemaker. Maybe he didn't believe I was a cop. Who knows.

I gave him my ID, identified myself, he asked me to step out of the car, asked me to remove my pistol and place it on the roof, and then told me to slow down. He was always a weird dude, who knows...
Link Posted: 2/13/2016 8:09:57 PM EDT
[#34]
Nope .
Link Posted: 2/13/2016 8:10:53 PM EDT
[#35]
As a cop I would have the same ability to say no, just like you.

Having said that that, I may consent to a search for a Suspect hiding in my trunk or something like that but not a full search of my vehicle.

I would request a supervisor before any search takes place.
Link Posted: 2/13/2016 8:10:53 PM EDT
[#36]
Nope
Serious question for the OP what does your question have to do with the 12 yr old and his chalk thread?
I'm not seeing even the slightest connection.
Link Posted: 2/13/2016 8:12:24 PM EDT
[#37]
Quoted:

View All Quotes
Quoted:
Quoted:

This
Link Posted: 2/13/2016 8:12:27 PM EDT
[#38]
Quoted:
Nope
Serious question for the OP what does your question have to do with the 12 yr old and his chalk thread?
View Quote

Probably evoking your rights, something that didn't appear too popular with some posters in the 12 YO thread.
Link Posted: 2/13/2016 8:12:30 PM EDT
[#39]
I typed out a couple responses, but deleted.
No offense, but there are many layers to this issue and a knee jerk response wouldn't do them justice.
Short version...Imagine being asked while in your cruiser.
Link Posted: 2/13/2016 8:13:07 PM EDT
[#40]
Quoted:

View All Quotes
Quoted:
Quoted:
Quoted:

It was way before dash cams.
Link Posted: 2/13/2016 8:14:14 PM EDT
[#41]
Link Posted: 2/13/2016 8:15:31 PM EDT
[#42]
You should have asked if clenching is involved.
Link Posted: 2/13/2016 8:15:34 PM EDT
[#43]
Quoted:

View All Quotes
Quoted:
Quoted:

Thread/
Link Posted: 2/13/2016 8:16:24 PM EDT
[#44]
But the incidental search/inventorying of the vehicle after the arrest means you don't have to get PC to search.
Link Posted: 2/13/2016 8:16:28 PM EDT
[#45]
Quoted:

Probably evoking your rights, something that didn't appear too popular with some posters in the 12 YO thread.
View All Quotes
Quoted:
Quoted:
Nope

They're are not even close to the same thing.
Link Posted: 2/13/2016 8:16:42 PM EDT
[#46]
Link Posted: 2/13/2016 8:16:48 PM EDT
[#47]
Nope.  Got nothin to hide, but fuck off
Link Posted: 2/13/2016 8:18:14 PM EDT
[#48]
Quoted:

You need a pickup order signed by a judge. Not that hard.
View All Quotes
Quoted:
Quoted:
Quoted:
No.

I did drive through some type of highway interdiction site outside of Anniston about three time in a rental car trying to get stopped and see what it was like from the other side.

With that said, the thread you mention and this don't compare. In the other thread a juvy pickup order can be issued based on whatever the cops know of his involvement.

So you need probable cause to pick up an adult but a juvy can be arrested detained and taken to juvy or jail on mere suspicion?

You need a pickup order signed by a judge. Not that hard.

So the pick up order requires PC?
Link Posted: 2/13/2016 8:18:22 PM EDT
[#49]
Link Posted: 2/13/2016 8:19:48 PM EDT
[#50]
Quoted:

They're are not even close to the same thing.
View Quote

I respectably disagree.
Arrow Left Previous Page
Page / 4
Close Join Our Mail List to Stay Up To Date! Win a FREE Membership!

Sign up for the ARFCOM weekly newsletter and be entered to win a free ARFCOM membership. One new winner* is announced every week!

You will receive an email every Friday morning featuring the latest chatter from the hottest topics, breaking news surrounding legislation, as well as exclusive deals only available to ARFCOM email subscribers.

By signing up you agree to our User Agreement. *Must have a registered ARFCOM account to win.
Top Top