Are you sure you wish to do this?

Confirm Cancel
BCM
User Panel

Arrow Left Previous Page
Page / 4
Posted: 2/12/2016 2:11:23 PM EDT
http://shareably.net/autistic-boy-broadway-play/

An actor for a Broadway play "The King and I" had some thoughts about an apparent autistic child disrupting a matinee performance. Bear in mind that apparently some of the tickets for these performances can be very pricey.

Some quotes from the article:

You think I will admonish that mother for bringing a child who yelped during a quiet moment in the show. You think I will herald an audience that yelled at this mother for bringing their child to the theater. You think that I will have sympathy for my own company whose performances were disturbed from a foreign sound coming from in front of them.

No.

Instead, I ask you- when did we as theater people, performers and audience members become so concerned with our own experience that we lose compassion for others?
[...]

It so happened that during “the whipping scene”, a rather intense moment in the second act, a child was heard yelping in the audience. It sounded like terror. Not more than one week earlier, during the same scene, a young girl in the front row- seemingly not autistic screamed and cried loudly and no one said anything then. How is this any different?

His voice pierced the theater. The audience started to rally against the mother and her child to be removed. I heard murmurs of “why would you bring a child like that to the theater?”. This is wrong. Plainly wrong.

Because what you didn’t see was a mother desperately trying to do just that. But her son was not compliant. What they didn’t see was a mother desperately pleading with her child as he gripped the railing refusing- yelping more out of defiance. I could not look away. I wanted to scream and stop the show and say- “EVERYONE RELAX. SHE IS TRYING. CAN YOU NOT SEE THAT SHE IS TRYING???!!!!” I will gladly do the entire performance over again. Refund any ticket because for her to bring her child to the theater is brave. You don’t know what her life is like. Perhaps, they have great days where he can sit still and not make much noise because this is a rare occurrence. Perhaps she chooses to no longer live in fear, and refuses to compromise the experience of her child. Maybe she scouted the aisle seat for a very popular show in case such an episode would occur. She paid the same price to see the show as you did for her family. Her plan, as was yours, was to have an enjoyable afternoon at the theater and slowly her worst fears came true.

I leave you with this- Shows that have special performances for autistic audiences should be commended for their efforts to make theater inclusive for all audiences. I believe like Joseph Papp that theater is created for all people. I stand by that and also for once, I am in a show that is completely FAMILY FRIENDLY. The King and I on Broadway is just that- FAMILY FRIENDLY- and that means entire families- with disabilities or not. Not only for special performances but for all performances. A night at the theater is special on any night you get to go.

And no, I don’t care how much you spent on the tickets
View Quote

I am of two minds.

On one hand, the mother seemed to be really trying to get her disruptive kid out of the theater. I think others should have been more patient with her as she did that.

On the other hand, the tickets are DAMNED EXPENSIVE! Why do that to everyone else in the theater! No doubt some of the people in the audience were in NYC for a rare treat, spent a lot of money on these tickets, and now they're getting to hear some scared child yelp instead of hearing the performance. I do think that the price of the tickets is an issue. I wouldn't feel so put out if I went to an $10 event and some child was yelping. I would feel a bit differently if I had paid $100, $200, $300 and the child was yelping.

I saw some discussion about this on Facebook, and a lot of parents of autistic children were saying, "I will take my child wherever, and screw everyone who doesn't like it!"

Then others were saying, "If your child cannot behave—for any reason—please be considerate and bring them to less expensive events, because it's pretty inconsiderate to potentially ruin a $300 evening for someone."
Link Posted: 2/12/2016 2:14:46 PM EDT
[#1]
Maybe the mother of the autistic child doesn't consider $300 tickets to be "expensive".  Fucking poor people.
Link Posted: 2/12/2016 2:16:10 PM EDT
[#2]
Leave your shitty kids with a sitter you inconsiderate fucking asshole.
Link Posted: 2/12/2016 2:16:22 PM EDT
[#3]
People act like a missing a couple minutes of a fucking stage full of guys in tights prancing around is going to ruin their night.  Fuck them.  I might have a problem if a parent just sits there and lets their kids scream and don't try to quiet them.  But if she was trying to get the kid out or quiet him, no big deal.
Link Posted: 2/12/2016 2:17:35 PM EDT
[#4]
Discussion ForumsJump to Quoted PostQuote History
Quoted:
View Quote

This, I paid to enjoy something, not listen to some fuck-tarded kid making noise.

Link Posted: 2/12/2016 2:18:57 PM EDT
[#5]
Quoted:
People act like a missing a couple minutes of a fucking stage full of guys in tights prancing around is going to ruin their night.  Fuck them.  I might have a problem if a parent just sits there and lets their kids scream and don't try to quiet them.  But if she was trying to get the kid out or quiet him, no big deal.
View Quote

LOL, People pay money to hear the show, not a spoiled rotten crumb hustler screaming nonsense.
Link Posted: 2/12/2016 2:19:47 PM EDT
[#6]
I hardly ever go to the movies but when I do I go to the ridiculously overpriced 21 and over only theater. If I paid $100+ for a theater ticket I'd be unhappy too, it's irritating enough at the movies.
Link Posted: 2/12/2016 2:19:54 PM EDT
[#7]
Hire a babysitter for the night.   Problem solved.
Link Posted: 2/12/2016 2:22:34 PM EDT
[#8]
I'm also of two minds with this.

Okay, take your kid, but if things go south, remove him. Yes you have my best wishes in trying to raise him in a "normal" environment, but for whatever reason, this is YOUR cross to bear.

I'm much more patient with someone who is trying to correct a nuisance to others, but I don't have any with someone who thinks I should also bear their pain.
Link Posted: 2/12/2016 2:26:37 PM EDT
[#9]
Quoted:

This, I paid to enjoy something, not listen to some fuck-tarded kid making noise.
View Quote View All Quotes
View All Quotes
Quoted:
Quoted:

I love this place, but I do agree.

If there is a reasonable expectation on the mother's part, that the kid is going to act up in public, maybe Chuck E Cheese is a better destination?

Chris
Link Posted: 2/12/2016 2:28:08 PM EDT
[#10]
Quoted:
View Quote

I tend to agree. The performance "The King and I" is the type of thing that kids would want to see, so it's not like people are never expecting kids to be there.

Other kids will occasionally act up, you have to expect that. If it's just a FEW MINUTES of disruption, as the parent frantically hustles the kid away, fair enough.

This kid seemed to be difficult to remove (holding onto the railing and yelping) which may have delayed his removal. That is where the problem may have escalated for the rest of the audience.

One of the things many people are saying is that all people, regardless of disability, "deserve" to share the experience of the performance. But does that "experience" include a lot of yelping, moaning, groaning, and carrying on from some audience members? If I know ahead of time that I'm paying $300 to potentially hear a bunch of kids make these types of sounds, then I know that going in. But if I'm not expecting that, then it seems unfair to foist it upon me and demand that I accept it, in the sake of "inclusion."

I don't think that the reason why there is a disruption is always the main thing. "But it's not his fault!" doesn't mean I can hear the dialog of the performance better. If I want to hear the performance, and a baby is crying, someone's phone going off, someone yakking with their friends, a kid is being a brat, or a special needs kid is yelping, guess what—ANY of these things are keeping me from enjoying the performance. I can't hear past the yelping any easier than I can hear past the phone going off. I will be far more patient and understanding about the yelping, but at the end of the day, if it goes on too long, my expensive evening has been just as ruined as it would be with a phone ringing.
Link Posted: 2/12/2016 2:28:50 PM EDT
[#11]
Don't burden others with your defective spawn.
Link Posted: 2/12/2016 2:30:59 PM EDT
[#12]
Quoted:
I hardly ever go to the movies but when I do I go to the ridiculously overpriced 21 and over only theater.
View Quote

Oh come on man, you don't want to hear a 4 year old next to you climb over seats and deafshout questions?

"DAD HOW COME (PROTAGONIST) DOESN'T XYZ"
whispering
"BUT HOW COME"

I understand that someone's kid is their pride and joy, this is a mystery to no one - but if I walked into someone's living room and began deaf-shouting while the local sports franchise is in the final few minutes of the game, down by ___?
And god forbid you grimace or shoot a dirty look, someone else comes in and tells you why me, snowflake, has the right to ruin the game for you and your 14 buddies?
You'd be even angrier, and understandably so.
Especially if you paid a ticket price to watch the game.
Link Posted: 2/12/2016 2:31:11 PM EDT
[#13]
Remember when they'd kick disruptive people out of theaters?

I miss those days.
Link Posted: 2/12/2016 2:31:51 PM EDT
[#14]
It's a family show.  Don't want to be around kids?  Don't go.

It's like going to fucking Applebees and bitching about the toddlers.

Look, nobody likes screaming kids.  The kids themselves, least of all.  You think they're doing that on purpose just to be dicks?  They're not.

Y'all chill out with the high and mighty.  You weren't even there.
Link Posted: 2/12/2016 2:33:45 PM EDT
[#15]

Quoted:

View Quote

+1

Link Posted: 2/12/2016 2:34:42 PM EDT
[#16]
We need to just put all children in training camps to become soldiers.

Link Posted: 2/12/2016 2:35:25 PM EDT
[#17]
I see no actual evidence the child was autistic. And it seems all bad behavior is explained away these days.

But her son was not compliant. What they didn’t see was a mother desperately pleading with her child as he gripped the railing refusing- yelping more out of defiance.
View Quote

Ah. Defiance. I did that when I was a kid too (not autistic) but my parents weren't so weak as to still not get me to do stuff. My hands would've been pried or smacked off that railing and then, outside, there would have been hell to pay.

Yelling, being defiant, and gripping things isn't automatically autistic behavior. That can easily be bad child behavior. But it seems live everybody is autistic today.
Link Posted: 2/12/2016 2:36:29 PM EDT
[#18]
Link Posted: 2/12/2016 2:38:15 PM EDT
[#19]
We all have unfortunate things that happen to us throughout life.  I don't expect others to have to bear the burden of mine along with their own.

Link Posted: 2/12/2016 2:39:17 PM EDT
[#20]
Quoted:
View Quote

+ about a million.

Roy
Link Posted: 2/12/2016 2:44:24 PM EDT
[#21]
Quoted:

I miss those days.
View Quote

They still do.  Going there tonight in fact.

Link Posted: 2/12/2016 2:46:21 PM EDT
[#22]
WTF

people aren't content to just be part of a victim group

now their victim group has to have supremacy over all other people

because nobody else has any rights if you are a victim

I wish I could bring a whole platoon of autistic kids to the actor's gay wedding and give all of them trumpets and drums to bang on

When the guy finally lost his shit after an hour of listening to the autistic wedding band, I'd say "HEY MOTHERFUCKER, AUTISTIC KIDS OUTRANK GAYS IN THE VICTIM PECKING ORDER SO STFU."

Link Posted: 2/12/2016 2:48:04 PM EDT
[#23]
Quoted:
Maybe the mother of the autistic child doesn't consider $300 tickets to be "expensive".  Fucking poor people.
View Quote

I would hope that they are not that out of touch
Link Posted: 2/12/2016 2:51:55 PM EDT
[#24]
Quoted:
WTF

people aren't content to just be part of a victim group

now their victim group has to have supremacy over all other people

because nobody else has any rights if you are a victim

I wish I could bring a whole platoon of autistic kids to the actor's gay wedding and give all of them trumpets and drums to bang on

When the guy finally lost his shit after an hour of listening to the autistic wedding band, I'd say "HEY MOTHERFUCKER, AUTISTIC KIDS OUTRANK GAYS IN THE VICTIM PECKING ORDER SO STFU."

View Quote

That's the whole point of victim politics.
Silence your critics and give yourself extra voice, because feelings.

In the past, to get heard you probably had to be an expert, offer knowledge, humor, something new, or something good.
Now you can skip all of that by saying, I'm in the right prefix victim class, now you have to hear me, and you're not allowed to speak or disagree.

You get to make yourself special without having done or accomplished anything.
Link Posted: 2/12/2016 2:53:37 PM EDT
[#25]
Sedate or leave your unruly crotchfruit at home or with a babysitter.
Link Posted: 2/12/2016 2:54:32 PM EDT
[#26]
Quoted:
View Quote

But what if the kids are autistic?

Then the whole world belongs to them.

Link Posted: 2/12/2016 2:54:43 PM EDT
[#27]
Quoted:

View All Quotes
Quoted:
Quoted:

I miss those days.

Fixed that for you! GREAT video, by the way.
Link Posted: 2/12/2016 2:54:52 PM EDT
[#28]
Quoted:
It's a family show.  Don't want to be around kids?  Don't go.

It's like going to fucking Applebees and bitching about the toddlers.

Look, nobody likes screaming kids.  The kids themselves, least of all.  You think they're doing that on purpose just to be dicks?  They're not.

Y'all chill out with the high and mighty.  You weren't even there.
View Quote

If you're child is so severely autistic that they are yelping, squirming, and what not THEN they are getting nothing from the performance anyway and the parent is being self-centered and inconsiderate of others.

Plop that kid down in front of a TV with funny noises and colorful shapes and they'll be more at home.
Link Posted: 2/12/2016 2:56:53 PM EDT
[#29]
I have a son with autism. He is very well behaved in public. It wasn't always that way, I've had to spank his ass in public a few times.

The mother in question is not only inconsiderate to the public, but to her child as well.
Link Posted: 2/12/2016 2:57:23 PM EDT
[#30]
Quoted:

View All Quotes
Quoted:
Quoted:
Quoted:

I miss those days.

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=JVz-fO7kxcQ

Thanks!
Link Posted: 2/12/2016 2:57:29 PM EDT
[#31]
Generally speaking autistic kids need less stimulation not more...
Link Posted: 2/12/2016 3:01:20 PM EDT
[#32]
Quoted:

View All Quotes
Quoted:
Quoted:

Really nice....glad to see we can all think reasonably here.  That child deserves to see that play as much as the next person.

ETA: I am on both sides of this. The mother was trying to quiet and/or remove her child.  I commend that.  Some people have no patience, however, take that same person who has a family member with the same issue and they become advocates for that issue.  I may have grown impatient, but once I saw the mother trying to remover her child, I would appreciate that and understand and not gripe about it.  If you don't want to hear kids, then don't go to a "kid" type movie, play, etc...  NEWSFLASH,  kids will be there.  I commend the actor for standing up about this.
Link Posted: 2/12/2016 3:06:00 PM EDT
[#33]
Quoted:

Really nice....glad to see we can all think reasonably here.  That child deserves to see that play as much as the next person.
View All Quotes
Quoted:
Quoted:
Quoted:

That child is not seeing the play and is keeping others from seeing it as well.
Link Posted: 2/12/2016 3:07:02 PM EDT
[#34]
Quoted:
For example, today we learned that person has the right to run a theater performance for 500 other people if her child is autistic.
View Quote

I saw some comments on Facebook, where parents of autistic children were acting like no one dare question whatever their kid does, and by damn, they're going to take their kid everywhere, regardless!

There's all this hyperbole and emotional histrionics when anyone complains that the autistic child is making it impossible to concentrate on the performance. These parents act like because it's "not the kid's fault" (true, it's not) that no one should believe that the behavior is disruptive, unwelcome, and heaven forbid anyone notice that the loud yelping is preventing everyone from hearing any of the performance! Hell no, that's just part of the "experience" and you'd better accept it and shut up.

I have no quarrel with a parent who is earnestly trying to get their child out of the theater, as to minimize the disturbance to others. But this sense of entitlement, as if they should never have to worry what anyone else thinks or how it's affecting them...it astonishes me.
Link Posted: 2/12/2016 3:08:00 PM EDT
[#35]
Link Posted: 2/12/2016 3:08:19 PM EDT
[#36]
Quoted:

View All Quotes
Quoted:
Quoted:
Quoted:
Quoted:

Actually he is seeing it, maybe not the way others are......
Link Posted: 2/12/2016 3:09:05 PM EDT
[#37]
Quoted:
View Quote

This
Link Posted: 2/12/2016 3:09:47 PM EDT
[#38]
Quoted:

I saw some comments on Facebook, where parents of autistic children were acting like no one dare question whatever their kid does, and by damn, they're going to take their kid everywhere, regardless!

There's all this hyperbole and emotional histrionics when anyone complains that the autistic child is making it impossible to concentrate on the performance. These parents act like because it's "not the kid's fault" (true, it's not) that no one should believe that the behavior is disruptive, unwelcome, and heaven forbid anyone notice that the loud yelping is preventing everyone from hearing any of the performance! Hell no, that's just part of the "experience" and you'd better accept it and shut up.

I have no quarrel with a parent who is earnestly trying to get their child out of the theater, as to minimize the disturbance to others. But this sense of entitlement, as if they should never have to worry what anyone else thinks or how it's affecting them...it astonishes me.
View All Quotes
Quoted:
Quoted:
For example, today we learned that person has the right to run a theater performance for 500 other people if her child is autistic.

I agree, some parents take it too far, they are the ones who make it hard on the parents who try to keep their child calm & quiet.
Link Posted: 2/12/2016 3:10:50 PM EDT
[#39]
Quoted:
View Quote

Link Posted: 2/12/2016 3:11:29 PM EDT
[#40]
If your child is disruptive, then they don't belong in an area where they would be disruptive.
Link Posted: 2/12/2016 3:11:42 PM EDT
[#41]
Quoted:

LOL, People pay money to hear the show, not a spoiled rotten crumb hustler screaming nonsense.
View All Quotes
Quoted:
Quoted:

Link Posted: 2/12/2016 3:13:52 PM EDT
[#42]
Quoted:

View All Quotes
Quoted:
Quoted:

Stay classy GD stay fucking classy.
Link Posted: 2/12/2016 3:16:01 PM EDT
[#43]

Quoted:

People act like a missing a couple minutes of a fucking stage full of guys in tights prancing around
is going to ruin their night.  Fuck them.  I might have a problem if a parent just sits there and lets their kids scream and don't try to quiet them.  But if she was trying to get the kid out or quiet him, no big deal.
View Quote
I truly feel sorry for people whose attitude of theater is this.
Ignorance can be fixed.

But the poster's attitude is stupid...and that is forever.
Link Posted: 2/12/2016 3:23:12 PM EDT
[#44]
Doesn't matter if it's a $2.00 show or a $300.00 dinner if your kids act up take them outside don't be a lazy parent.

If you don't take your kid outside your teaching your kid to be a self absorbed asshole. He will grow up to be like his parents and the cycle goes on.
Link Posted: 2/12/2016 3:35:51 PM EDT
[#45]
Quoted:
Doesn't matter if it's a $2.00 show or a $300.00 dinner if your kids act up take them outside don't be a lazy parent.

If you don't take your kid outside your teaching your kid to be a self absorbed asshole. He will grow up to be like his parents and the cycle goes on.
View Quote

What did you read that leads you to believe she was being lazy?
Link Posted: 2/12/2016 3:37:17 PM EDT
[#46]
Quoted:

View All Quotes
Quoted:
Quoted:

This.

Posted Via AR15.Com Mobile
Link Posted: 2/12/2016 3:40:07 PM EDT
[#47]
Tie the little bastards up to the Hitching Post out front.
Link Posted: 2/12/2016 3:44:17 PM EDT
[#48]
Quoted:

View All Quotes
Quoted:
Quoted:

Link Posted: 2/12/2016 3:46:32 PM EDT
[#49]
I went to see "The Revenant" last Friday. This is obviously not a movie for a 4 to 5 year old boy. Yet there he is, with his parents. About 30 minutes in he begins the mommy, mommy, mommy MoMMY! MOMMY! Look! MOMMY LOOK! screaming and yelling. They just sat there telling him to be quiet, which is also disruptive. I finally went out to the manager and asked them for my money back, told them why and the gave me a refund. I saw the next showing. Motherfuckers are bad people. Fuck them.

Link Posted: 2/12/2016 3:46:55 PM EDT
[#50]
Arfcom GD I-hate-autisitc-kids threads are so entertaining. Let the dog pile continue!
Arrow Left Previous Page
Page / 4
Close Join Our Mail List to Stay Up To Date! Win a FREE Membership!

Sign up for the ARFCOM weekly newsletter and be entered to win a free ARFCOM membership. One new winner* is announced every week!

You will receive an email every Friday morning featuring the latest chatter from the hottest topics, breaking news surrounding legislation, as well as exclusive deals only available to ARFCOM email subscribers.

By signing up you agree to our User Agreement. *Must have a registered ARFCOM account to win.
Top Top