Are you sure you wish to do this?

Confirm Cancel
BCM
User Panel

Site Notices
Arrow Left Previous Page
Page / 8
Posted: 11/27/2015 7:27:29 PM EDT

There is much truth in this diagnosis. But it does not explain the plight of Liz Kelley, a Missouri high school teacher and mother of four who made a series of unremarkable decisions about college and borrowing. She now owes the federal government $410,000, and counting.

This is a staggering and unusual sum. The average undergraduate who borrows leaves school with about $30,000 in debt. But Ms. Kelley’s circumstances are not unique. Of the 43.3 million borrowers with outstanding federal student loans, 1.8 percent, or 779,000 people, owe $150,000 or more. And 346,000 owe more than $200,000.

Link Posted: 11/27/2015 7:29:40 PM EDT
[#1]
I bet she votes for Bernie.
Link Posted: 11/27/2015 7:30:57 PM EDT
[#2]
At some point these people need to be cut off.
Link Posted: 11/27/2015 7:31:09 PM EDT
[#3]
I give her credit for wanting to improve herself, but she made some pretty bad decisions along the way.    That kind of debt can buy a house and car.
Link Posted: 11/27/2015 7:31:34 PM EDT
[#4]
Discussion ForumsJump to Quoted PostQuote History
Quoted:
View Quote

Being fair, and not supporting Bernie in anyway, something will have to be done about college debt.  What that is I do not know, but the current levels of it are going to seriously hamper our future economy and are utterly unsustainable.
Link Posted: 11/27/2015 7:32:11 PM EDT
[#5]

Quoted:

I give her credit for wanting to improve herself, but she made some pretty bad decisions along the way.    That kind of debt can buy a house and car.
View Quote
A nice house and a nice car.

Link Posted: 11/27/2015 7:33:43 PM EDT
[#6]
She's a dumbass and should not be around children.
Link Posted: 11/27/2015 7:33:47 PM EDT
[#7]
Quoted:

Being fair, and not supporting Bernie in anyway, something will have to be done about college debt.  What that is I do not know, but the current levels of it are going to seriously hamper our future economy and are utterly unsustainable.
View Quote View All Quotes
View All Quotes
Quoted:
Quoted:

Nothing can be done about retarded people who make shitty decisions. Whether it be college debt, credit card debt, housing debit, vehicle debt, etc, etc.

You can't fix stupid.
Link Posted: 11/27/2015 7:33:51 PM EDT
[#8]
The line that gets lost in all the writers Boo Hoo:

"“I am not a victim,” said Ms. Kelley, who shared her loan documents with me. “I made choices.”"
Link Posted: 11/27/2015 7:34:08 PM EDT
[#9]
Quoted:

View All Quotes
Quoted:
Quoted:

To be fair......whatever is decided, needs to compensate those of who made decisions that didn't put us in a hole.
Link Posted: 11/27/2015 7:34:20 PM EDT
[#10]
What the hell did she do to roll up that kind of a debt???

Four years of college at the place I'm about to graduate from (a University) would run less than 1/8th of that.
Link Posted: 11/27/2015 7:34:45 PM EDT
[#11]
Quoted:

View All Quotes
Quoted:
Quoted:

Yeah, stop making ridiculous, shitty loans and make these retards pay back the money they borrowed.

Or the banks can fail, fuck it.
Link Posted: 11/27/2015 7:34:46 PM EDT
[#12]
Link Posted: 11/27/2015 7:34:57 PM EDT
[#13]
Link Posted: 11/27/2015 7:35:53 PM EDT
[#14]
This is symptom of the "college is a right" issue in society right now.

Along with the "everyone needs to go to college" issue.
Link Posted: 11/27/2015 7:35:54 PM EDT
[#15]
Thank goodness she didn't become a math teacher.

Her ex husband was a genius compared to her.

Since she also accumulated debt in her name and not her kids for their education, she is still actively bilking her lenders and ultimately, the taxpayer. As far as I'm concerned, she can live in the poorhouse the rest of her life.
Link Posted: 11/27/2015 7:36:24 PM EDT
[#16]

She had taken out her first student loan 25 years earlier and had yet to make a single payment.
View Quote

Link Posted: 11/27/2015 7:36:24 PM EDT
[#17]
Quoted:

Four years of college at the place I'm about to graduate from (a University) would run less than 1/8th of that.
View Quote

Deferred payments for 25 years
Link Posted: 11/27/2015 7:36:44 PM EDT
[#18]
There must be a point once you get past that initial sick to your stomach feelings and it's not even like it's real money anymore.
Link Posted: 11/27/2015 7:37:21 PM EDT
[#19]
Quoted:
There is much truth in this diagnosis. But it does not explain the plight of Liz Kelley, a Missouri high school teacher and mother of four who made a series of unremarkable decisions about college and borrowing. She now owes the federal government $410,000, and counting.

This is a staggering and unusual sum. The average undergraduate who borrows leaves school with about $30,000 in debt. But Ms. Kelley’s circumstances are not unique. Of the 43.3 million borrowers with outstanding federal student loans, 1.8 percent, or 779,000 people, owe $150,000 or more. And 346,000 owe more than $200,000.

http://www.nytimes.com/2015/11/29/upshot/student-debt-in-america-lend-with-a-smile-collect-with-a-fist.html?hp&action=click&pgtype=Homepage&clickSource=story-heading&module=mini-moth®ion=top-stories-below&WT.nav=top-stories-below

View Quote

I'd say that her decision were pretty remarkable.  Student loans aren't to live off of unless your major will gaurentee a ROI that will cover it.  A simple cost benefit analysis (as in, I want to be a teacher and probably shouldn't borrow a1/2 million dollars).  Some fucktards haven't figured that out.
Link Posted: 11/27/2015 7:37:24 PM EDT
[#20]
Anyone who goes to college is a fool.  No pity.
Link Posted: 11/27/2015 7:37:32 PM EDT
[#21]
Quoted:

View All Quotes
Quoted:
Quoted:

How about colleges eliminate all degrees that end in "studies" and get the damn government out of the loan business?
Link Posted: 11/27/2015 7:37:44 PM EDT
[#22]
I'm a fast reader.... And it's easy to see who didn't read the article before posting!

Sucks to be her. The issue is more than her bad decisions. It is also how the law allows abuse not only by the lender but also the educational institutions that push these loans harder than crack dealers!
Link Posted: 11/27/2015 7:38:52 PM EDT
[#23]
Quoted:
She's a dumbass and should not be around children.
View Quote

Yup. How can someone THIS stupid be allowed to teach children?

I swear the movie "Idiocracy" will be viewed as a documentary in the near future.
Link Posted: 11/27/2015 7:39:20 PM EDT
[#24]
Quoted:
There must be a point once you get past that initial sick to your stomach feelings and it's not even like it's real money anymore.
View Quote

It's "free" because they don't ha the foresight to be good stewards of their own future.  When they don't have initial repercussions because they borrowed, and have the mentality I just described, it's a recipe for disaster.
Link Posted: 11/27/2015 7:39:40 PM EDT
[#25]
Quoted:
View Quote

Eh, I wouldn't say that.

Some fields, such as the medical field and engineering fields need to have formalized education.

Trades and technical folks have no business going to college.

Don't even get me started on degrees in "women's issues" and "social work".

A friend of the family spent 4 years going to an ivy league school to get a degree in "social work", so she could make 30k a year working on CPS cases.

I'm pretty sure anyone with a pulse can do that.
Link Posted: 11/27/2015 7:40:43 PM EDT
[#26]
Quoted:

Nothing can be done about retarded people who make shitty decisions. Whether it be college debt, credit card debt, housing debit, vehicle debt, etc, etc.

You can't fix stupid.
View All Quotes
Quoted:
Quoted:
Quoted:

You can't fix stupid.

Not disagreeing with you, but do you really think these people will ever pay off their loans?  A lot of the idiots in my generation get worthless degrees and are so narcissistic they are nearly unemployable.  Add in the subsidizing of college education with government backed loans that are not able to be discharged with bankruptcy and the spending power of this generation to support our economy is being drastically reduced.

Something is going to have to give somewhere.

ETA: Full disclosure... I have about $30k in loans that I'm working on paying off.  I do not, nor do I wish for anyone else other than me to be responsible for them or for their repayment.
Link Posted: 11/27/2015 7:40:52 PM EDT
[#27]
Link Posted: 11/27/2015 7:41:20 PM EDT
[#28]
Quoted:

View All Quotes
Quoted:
Quoted:

Nope.  I went to school (a private university, so more expensive than state school), took on debt, got a good job in the field I studied, and paid it off in 10 years.  

There are TONS of scholarship funds out there, and multiple degrees that actually generate enough income to pay off the debt.  It is when people go to school to get obscure degrees in fields that offer very little ROI that people start calling for free tuition.
Link Posted: 11/27/2015 7:41:37 PM EDT
[#29]
4 kids and massive debt . She has made more than 1 poor decision
Link Posted: 11/27/2015 7:41:41 PM EDT
[#30]
Quoted:

View All Quotes
Quoted:
Quoted:

What a stupid ass. I hope to get my loan paid off ASAP upon graduation.
Link Posted: 11/27/2015 7:41:42 PM EDT
[#31]
Quoted:
View Quote

No, she made a lot of bad choices along the way.  She didn't make a single payment on the loans in 25 years.  Outside of the uncontrollable life events, e.g. illness, she still made lots of bad choices.

Compound interest is the greatest and the worst thing depending on which way it is cutting.
Link Posted: 11/27/2015 7:41:48 PM EDT
[#32]
Quoted:

It's "free" because they don't ha the foresight to be good stewards of their own future.  When they don't have initial repercussions because they borrowed, and have the mentality I just described, it's a recipe for disaster.
View All Quotes
Quoted:
Quoted:

Yea. Maybe they never even get that initial gut feeling.
Link Posted: 11/27/2015 7:42:06 PM EDT
[#33]
All she needs to do to see what an idiot looks like is to find a mirror.
Link Posted: 11/27/2015 7:42:17 PM EDT
[#34]
Quoted:

View Quote

The left wants everyone to go to college so they can use the college system to further indoctrinate the students.
Link Posted: 11/27/2015 7:42:26 PM EDT
[#35]
Quoted:
View Quote

No anyone who goes to an expensive college and does not get a stem degree is a fool. if you want to be a teacher go to a cheap state or community college and pay cash. if you want to be a doctor or a lawyer you can go to harvard because your career will allow you to pay for it.
Link Posted: 11/27/2015 7:42:33 PM EDT
[#36]
I think teaching should be the last occupation she needs to be doing...that and financial advisor...
Link Posted: 11/27/2015 7:42:53 PM EDT
[#37]
she needs to pay back every penny of it

people with student loan debt come across like they had nothing to do with having it and it should be the govt's problem
Link Posted: 11/27/2015 7:43:02 PM EDT
[#38]
Quoted:

Not disagreeing with you, but do you really think these people will ever pay off their loans?  A lot of the idiots in my generation get worthless degrees and are so narcissistic they are nearly unemployable.  Add in the subsidizing of college education with government backed loans that are not able to be discharged with bankruptcy and the spending power of this generation to support our economy is being drastically reduced.

View All Quotes
Quoted:
Quoted:
Quoted:
Quoted:

You can't fix stupid.

Oh, I agree with you 100%.

The only solution I'm aware of is to completely do away with college lending.

Link Posted: 11/27/2015 7:43:14 PM EDT
[#39]
Quoted:
View All Quotes
Quoted:
Quoted:

You could throw in a rental house or two around here for that kind of coin.
Link Posted: 11/27/2015 7:44:17 PM EDT
[#40]
Quoted:

Nope.  I went to school (a private university, so more expensive than state school), took on debt, got a good job in the field I studied, and paid it off in 10 years.  

There are TONS of scholarship funds out there, and multiple degrees that actually generate enough income to pay off the debt.  It is when people go to school to get obscure degrees in fields that offer very little ROI that people start calling for free tuition.
View All Quotes
Quoted:
Quoted:
Quoted:

If you work a part time job during your sophomore and senior year of high school, and work a full time job through all 4 years of college, you can graduate debt free with zero scholarships.

It's actually quite easy.

Then again, that would require actual work ethic and less of the "entitlement" mentality.
Link Posted: 11/27/2015 7:44:35 PM EDT
[#41]
She should have spent some of that money on an exercise bike.
She's a fat-assed pig.
Who in the fuck would stick their dick on that fat-assed whore to make babies.

Fuck her, at this rate she'll never pay back her loans.

She'll be on the bankruptcy wagon in 3, 2, 1.
Link Posted: 11/27/2015 7:45:46 PM EDT
[#42]
Quoted:

View All Quotes
Quoted:
Quoted:

Imagine what will happen to a society that takes debt and does not pay it back. $19 trillion will be nothing.
Link Posted: 11/27/2015 7:46:19 PM EDT
[#43]
Quoted:

The left wants everyone to go to college so they can use the college system to further indoctrinate the students.
View All Quotes
Quoted:
Quoted:

Well, sure, but that's only part of it.

The "working" class is flooded with  shitty 4 year degrees to the point that employers are mandating degrees for entry level positions, because they can. Basically the whole thing is cheapened. Outside of specialty fields, the vast majority of college grads never find jobs in their field of study.
Link Posted: 11/27/2015 7:46:26 PM EDT
[#44]
Quoted:

ETA: Full disclosure... I have about $30k in loans that I'm working on paying off.  I do not, nor do I wish for anyone else other than me to be responsible for them or for their repayment.
View All Quotes
Quoted:
Quoted:
Quoted:
Quoted:

You can't fix stupid.

They can sell their blood, or their organs, or their brains seeing as they're not using them anyway.
Link Posted: 11/27/2015 7:47:21 PM EDT
[#45]
How is that even fucking possible to run up that much debt on just school?
Link Posted: 11/27/2015 7:47:30 PM EDT
[#46]
I know of a Reed college graduate and a law school grad who has failed the board exam twice ...owes over 200k and works in a coffee shop.
Link Posted: 11/27/2015 7:47:48 PM EDT
[#47]
Quoted:

View Quote

I bet it pisses you off to see these worthless fucks getting sympathy degrees on the taxpayer dime.
Link Posted: 11/27/2015 7:47:57 PM EDT
[#48]
Quoted:

View Quote

Can put 2 doctors through med school for her english degree.
Link Posted: 11/27/2015 7:48:40 PM EDT
[#49]
Quoted:

I bet it pisses you off to see these worthless fucks getting sympathy degrees on the taxpayer dime.
View All Quotes
Quoted:
Quoted:

You have no idea.
Link Posted: 11/27/2015 7:49:14 PM EDT
[#50]
Quoted:
View Quote

Found one.
Arrow Left Previous Page
Page / 8
Close Join Our Mail List to Stay Up To Date! Win a FREE Membership!

Sign up for the ARFCOM weekly newsletter and be entered to win a free ARFCOM membership. One new winner* is announced every week!

You will receive an email every Friday morning featuring the latest chatter from the hottest topics, breaking news surrounding legislation, as well as exclusive deals only available to ARFCOM email subscribers.

By signing up you agree to our User Agreement. *Must have a registered ARFCOM account to win.
Top Top