Confirm Action

Are you sure you wish to do this?

Confirm Cancel
BCM
User Panel

Arrow Left Previous Page
Page / 7
Posted: 10/12/2015 12:20:14 PM EDT
What small item did you "buy once, cry once" and feel like it was money well spent? I'm not including cars, houses, etc. I'm talking small stuff. If you need a dollar figure, say less than $500.

For me was REALLY nice bath towels. I always had shitty Walmart cheapies and finally ponied up for some turkish cotton towels my wife found (around $75/ea). Holy shit what a difference! I feel like king every time I step out of the shower.

Second fiddle is probably my Beltman belt. I wear it even if I'm pocket carrying. Been on dozens of job sites and seen plenty of abuse over the past several years, still looks new.
Link Posted: 10/12/2015 12:21:42 PM EDT
[#1]
Unfortunately its this ignorant smart phone.  I would LOVE to dump all our phones and go to just a cheap flip phone but I am not sure I could survive.
Link Posted: 10/12/2015 12:22:01 PM EDT
[#2]
Nest thermostat.
Link Posted: 10/12/2015 12:22:08 PM EDT
[#3]
Nice bed sheets.
Link Posted: 10/12/2015 12:22:25 PM EDT
[#4]
Brooks Brothers suits
Link Posted: 10/12/2015 12:22:32 PM EDT
[#5]
meat thermometer.
Link Posted: 10/12/2015 12:23:24 PM EDT
[#6]
Guns
Link Posted: 10/12/2015 12:23:25 PM EDT
[#7]
SureFire E1B. I had the mini maglites, even stepped up to a NiteCore, but this little SureFire is the best thought out light I've used. I want to try the new Titan, but I love the click tailswitch too much.

Posted Via AR15.Com Mobile
Link Posted: 10/12/2015 12:23:33 PM EDT
[#8]
weekly maid service
Link Posted: 10/12/2015 12:23:37 PM EDT
[#9]
Discussion ForumsJump to Quoted PostQuote History
Quoted:
Nest thermostat.
View Quote

Been considering that... Then my AC compressor died and I've been relying on a swamp cooler to get me through to winter . I plan on it when I replace my whole central air system
Link Posted: 10/12/2015 12:24:23 PM EDT
[#10]
Chromecast and Clark's slip on shoes.  That's right, laces are for kids and losers.
Link Posted: 10/12/2015 12:25:27 PM EDT
[#11]
Quoted:
SureFire E1B. I had the mini maglites, even stepped up to a NiteCore, but this little SureFire is the best thought out light I've used. I want to try the new Titan, but I love the click tailswitch too much.

Posted Via AR15.Com Mobile
View Quote

Do you think that its worth stepping up from say, a stream light polytac? I have about 1/2 dozen of the polytacs and use them often for work. Plus, I dont mind if they get lost or broken. They work great for the price, but I've been debating about upgrading. Battery life could be better.
Link Posted: 10/12/2015 12:27:59 PM EDT
[#12]
Quoted:
weekly maid service
View Quote

I used to have that, boy was it nice, house cleaned every week, sheets washed and put back on bed. It was glorious.

Link Posted: 10/12/2015 12:29:50 PM EDT
[#13]
Charmin ultra soft extra wide toilet paper. It's like wiping your behind with wool from a newborn baby lamb.
Link Posted: 10/12/2015 12:29:56 PM EDT
[#14]
I just bought a really expensive pair of backpacking boots.  I decided to wear them today to see how they feel before going on a shakeout hike.  

They're absolutely unbelievable and I may have to start wearing them every damn day.

Link Posted: 10/12/2015 12:30:49 PM EDT
[#15]
Kitchenaid stand mixer instead of a cheap stand mixer.
Link Posted: 10/12/2015 12:30:55 PM EDT
[#16]
Smart Wool socks. I can never go back to cheap socks now.
Link Posted: 10/12/2015 12:32:32 PM EDT
[#17]
Memory foam bed and a bluetooth.
Link Posted: 10/12/2015 12:32:43 PM EDT
[#18]
Xbox One.  One-stop shop for Netflix, games, blu-ray, music apps, etc.
Link Posted: 10/12/2015 12:35:29 PM EDT
[#19]
we spent 8 grand on a mattress and it was the best purchase we have ever made!
Link Posted: 10/12/2015 12:36:17 PM EDT
[#20]
Yeti cooler. The sheer amount of hate/jealousy it gets makes owning it worthwhile. Plus it got me out of a speeding ticket in West Virginia.

Currently wishing I had spent more on my immersion blender, the $25 one I bought is total garbage.

My MacBook Pro was definitely over the $500 mark, but every day I'm glad I bought it. Love that thing.
Link Posted: 10/12/2015 12:36:44 PM EDT
[#21]
Cable TV
Link Posted: 10/12/2015 12:38:01 PM EDT
[#22]
Ohh, I have one more to add that I cannot believe I've lived without all these years - wireless bluetooth headphones. No more dangling wires to catch on stuff, yank the ear buds out of your ears, etc. when listening to music. I got a mid-level JBL pair for ~$100 and they are good, but I have loved them so much some day I may sport for the expensive $200-$300 kind if the music sounds better. Only downside is with headphones you look like an air traffic controller walking around town, but I'm old enough to not give a hoot what other people think about me.
Link Posted: 10/12/2015 12:38:05 PM EDT
[#23]
talon grips Iphone 6 cover.

superfeet.

Link Posted: 10/12/2015 12:38:12 PM EDT
[#24]
Quoted:

I used to have that, boy was it nice, house cleaned every week, sheets washed and put back on bed. It was glorious.

View Quote View All Quotes
View All Quotes
Quoted:
Quoted:
weekly maid service

I pay a local woman to do it. Much better rates than the large companies were charging and she is very thorough. Like under the fridge, behind the toilet and all the other places I'm too lazy to get to. It's just me and the cat  though and I'm pretty neat so it's not a real big job for her I guess. I also pay for landscaping because I hate spending my limited time at home doing yard work all summer. The three amigos keep my lawn looking like a golf course for $100 per month over the summer.
Link Posted: 10/12/2015 12:38:16 PM EDT
[#25]
Quoted:
I just bought a really expensive pair of backpacking boots.  I decided to wear them today to see how they feel before going on a shakeout hike.  

They're absolutely unbelievable and I may have to start wearing them every damn day.

View Quote

Do tell...
Link Posted: 10/12/2015 12:38:31 PM EDT
[#26]
Quoted:
Charmin ultra soft extra wide toilet paper. It's like wiping your behind with wool from a newborn baby lamb.
View Quote

This

I'm a Charmin girl.

The other thing I'm fond of that is expensive is my Clairisonic.  Required?  Nope but it feels dreamy on my face.
Link Posted: 10/12/2015 12:38:47 PM EDT
[#27]
Quoted:
View Quote

My wife got one as a wedding gift and its never been used. Just sits on the counter collecting dust. I try to sell it at every garage sale and she says no

Link Posted: 10/12/2015 12:40:31 PM EDT
[#28]

Quoted:

Chromecast and Clark's slip on shoes.  That's right, laces are for kids and losers.
View Quote
Recently got one to stream Netflix to our TV, and for ~$25 it's a great little piece of tech.  As more and more companies add support to their apps and services it just gets better.

Link Posted: 10/12/2015 12:40:35 PM EDT
[#29]
Quoted:

I pay a local woman to do it. Much better rates than the large companies were charging and she is very thorough. Like under the fridge, behind the toilet and all the other places I'm too lazy to get to. It's just me and the cat  though and I'm pretty neat so it's not a real big job for her I guess. I also pay for landscaping because I hate spending my limited time at home doing yard work all summer. The three amigos keep my lawn looking like a golf course for $100 per month over the summer.
View All Quotes
Quoted:
Quoted:
Quoted:
weekly maid service

That too, I used to pay someone to cut my grass and landscape.

But nooooooooo Midcap you need to do all of this stuff. Hence Why I have only gone fishing like twice in 3 years and why my guns collect dust.
Link Posted: 10/12/2015 12:41:39 PM EDT
[#30]
Quoted:
View Quote

Was going to post the exact thing. Love mine. Bought them last winter and thought they might be too hot come summer time but nope they are great and I wear them everyday.
Link Posted: 10/12/2015 12:42:01 PM EDT
[#31]
Link Posted: 10/12/2015 12:43:19 PM EDT
[#32]
Quoted:

Was going to post the exact thing. Love mine. Bought them last winter and thought they might be too hot come summer time but nope they are great and I wear them everyday.
View All Quotes
Quoted:
Quoted:

I've heard about these. 'splain

My socks are purchased in packs of 6 pairs, wrapped in plastic, for $10. Am I doing it wrong?
Link Posted: 10/12/2015 12:43:50 PM EDT
[#33]
I will spend money on shoes, socks and underwear.  I also like nice soap for the shower.  Im too old for cheap booze.

I will be turning 4o this year and have worked hard to have the life I have.  If I have to buy or replace something I try to buy the best quality available.

Link Posted: 10/12/2015 12:44:51 PM EDT
[#34]
The really good roast beef at the deli counter

All the store brand and cheap stuff tastes like crap now
Link Posted: 10/12/2015 12:45:06 PM EDT
[#35]
Universal Studios Halloween Horror Night Express Pass.

Best $128 ever spent. 15 minute wait for something that on average has a wait of 115 minutes. Feels good to skip the bullshit. Wife and I can do every ride and haunted house in the park while everyone else does maybe two to three houses and no rides.
Link Posted: 10/12/2015 12:45:39 PM EDT
[#36]
Either my Thermapen instant read thermometer or Anova sous vide
Link Posted: 10/12/2015 12:45:57 PM EDT
[#37]

Quoted:
Wet wipes was mine. It is what I was going to post even before I saw yours.

View All Quotes
Quoted:

Quoted:

Wet wipes was mine. It is what I was going to post even before I saw yours.

I'm not sure I'd like using wet wipes to wipe my...behind...but although my kids are now ten and eleven I still keep a pack of wet wipes in each car because they are great when stuff spill, kids' hands are coated in Doritos dust, or I just put gas in my truck and my hands stink like diesel fuel and there isn't a washroom nearby.

Link Posted: 10/12/2015 12:46:01 PM EDT
[#38]
Quoted:

My socks are purchased in packs of 6 pairs, wrapped in plastic, for $10. Am I doing it wrong?
View All Quotes
Quoted:
Quoted:
Quoted:

Yup.

But get ready to pay $15-20 per pair of socks. They last forever though, I have smartwool socks that are over 5 years old. I use the medium hiking socks with a liner when backpacking.
Link Posted: 10/12/2015 12:46:57 PM EDT
[#39]
Quoted:
Guns
View Quote

This plus Vanilla Nut Coffemate.  What a way to start the day.
Link Posted: 10/12/2015 12:48:02 PM EDT
[#40]
I never wear cotton socks or underwear. I'll wear synthetic socks for athletic shoes and wool for everything else. I could never go back to cotton.
Link Posted: 10/12/2015 12:49:24 PM EDT
[#41]
Quoted:

View All Quotes
Quoted:
Quoted:

I wear wool in the summer. They keep my feet nice and dry, and therefor, comfortable.
Link Posted: 10/12/2015 12:50:09 PM EDT
[#42]
Kraft American Singles. Heinz-brand ketchup.

What can I say, I'm a baller.

This thread reminds me- I need to start researching mattresses. Mine is from my college days. Lots of miles on that thing...
Link Posted: 10/12/2015 12:50:12 PM EDT
[#43]
Quoted:
Nest thermostat.
View Quote

I love mine, knocked 30 percent off my power bill in a couple months.  Going to be interesting to see how it works post-solar installation.
Link Posted: 10/12/2015 12:50:13 PM EDT
[#44]
Temperpedic
Link Posted: 10/12/2015 12:52:30 PM EDT
[#45]
Dual monitor setup. I just had a monitor shit the bed and I'm about to go nuts working on just one.
Link Posted: 10/12/2015 12:53:21 PM EDT
[#46]
Quoted:
Recently got one to stream Netflix to our TV, and for ~$25 it's a great little piece of tech.  As more and more companies add support to their apps and services it just gets better.

View All Quotes
Quoted:
Quoted:

I got three of them when I ditched satellite. They can be a little buggy at times but generally work pretty well. I have a Nexus player in the living room that I prefer but it was something like $80 vs the $30 Chromecast.
Link Posted: 10/12/2015 12:53:48 PM EDT
[#47]
Link Posted: 10/12/2015 12:54:36 PM EDT
[#48]
Quoted:

My wife got one as a wedding gift and its never been used. Just sits on the counter collecting dust. I try to sell it at every garage sale and she says no

View All Quotes
Quoted:
Quoted:

I love mine.  Buy her this, and it won't collect dust on the mixer itself.

Link Posted: 10/12/2015 12:58:25 PM EDT
[#49]
Quoted:

View All Quotes
Quoted:
Quoted:
Quoted:

Yes. Very wrong indeed.
Link Posted: 10/12/2015 12:59:16 PM EDT
[#50]
Heated and padded toilet seats.  I've been tempted to retrofit them to my dining room chairs.
Arrow Left Previous Page
Page / 7
Close Join Our Mail List to Stay Up To Date! Win a FREE Membership!

Sign up for the ARFCOM weekly newsletter and be entered to win a free ARFCOM membership. One new winner* is announced every week!

You will receive an email every Friday morning featuring the latest chatter from the hottest topics, breaking news surrounding legislation, as well as exclusive deals only available to ARFCOM email subscribers.

By signing up you agree to our User Agreement. *Must have a registered ARFCOM account to win.
Top Top