Confirm Cancel
BCM
User Panel

Site Notices
Arrow Left Previous Page
Page / 3
Posted: 10/8/2015 10:30:36 PM EDT
Obama weighs expanding background checks through executive authority

In response to the latest mass shooting during his presidency, President Obama is seriously considering circumventing Congress with his executive authority and imposing new background-check requirements for buyers who purchase weapons from high-volume gun dealers.

Under the proposed rule change, dealers who exceed a certain number of sales each year would be required to obtain a license from the Bureau of Alcohol, Tobacco, Firearms and Explosives and perform background checks on potential buyers.

The proposed executive action aims to impose background checks on individuals who buy from dealers who sell a significant number of guns each year. The current federal statute dictates that those who are “engaged in the business” of dealing firearms need to obtain a federal license — and, therefore, conduct background checks — but exempts anyone “who makes occasional sales, exchanges, or purchases of firearms for the enhancement of a personal collection or for a hobby, or who sells all or part of his personal collection of firearms.”

White House officials drafted the proposal in late 2013 to apply to those dealers who sell at least 50 guns annually, after Congress had rejected legislation that would have expanded background checks more broadly to private sellers. While the White House Office of Legal Counsel and then-Attorney General Eric H. Holder Jr. initially concluded the regulation was legally defensible, according to several individuals involved in the discussions, some federal lawyers remained concerned that setting an arbitrary numerical threshold could leave the rule vulnerable to a challenge.

ATF officials, moreover, objected that it would be hard to enforce and that it was unclear how many sellers would be affected by the change. “Everyone realized it would be hugely politically controversial,” said one individual, who spoke on the condition of anonymity to discuss private discussions.
Link Posted: 10/8/2015 10:31:11 PM EDT
[#1]
FBHO
Link Posted: 10/8/2015 10:32:44 PM EDT
[#2]
Link Posted: 10/8/2015 10:33:00 PM EDT
[#3]
Discussion ForumsJump to Quoted PostQuote History
Quoted:
FBHO
View Quote

About right!

FBHO
FHRC

Link Posted: 10/8/2015 10:33:15 PM EDT
[#4]
wtf did i just read?
Link Posted: 10/8/2015 10:33:31 PM EDT
[#5]
C&R FFL?

Link Posted: 10/8/2015 10:33:37 PM EDT
[#6]
I've had a really long day so maybe I'm just missing something... but isn't this system already in place?  You sell guns for a living, you have to have a license (ffl).  What is he proposing to be different?
Link Posted: 10/8/2015 10:34:05 PM EDT
[#7]
Who sells 50 guns a year?
Link Posted: 10/8/2015 10:34:09 PM EDT
[#8]
Link Posted: 10/8/2015 10:34:43 PM EDT
[#9]
Hmm. So, background checks on the background checks?

FBHO.
Link Posted: 10/8/2015 10:34:55 PM EDT
[#10]
Link Posted: 10/8/2015 10:35:14 PM EDT
[#11]
Quoted:
I've had a really long day so maybe I'm just missing something... but isn't this system already in place?  You sell guns for a living, you have to have a license (ffl).  What is he proposing to be different?
View Quote

I'm not seeing it either.
Link Posted: 10/8/2015 10:35:27 PM EDT
[#12]
Quoted:
View Quote

Yeah, I'm not getting it.
Link Posted: 10/8/2015 10:35:54 PM EDT
[#13]
what an idiot
Link Posted: 10/8/2015 10:37:06 PM EDT
[#14]
I'm deeply concerned (not).
Link Posted: 10/8/2015 10:37:28 PM EDT
[#15]
Half black, half white, half wit.
Link Posted: 10/8/2015 10:37:48 PM EDT
[#16]
Wouldn't work.  No "teeth" without statutory penalty.
Link Posted: 10/8/2015 10:39:06 PM EDT
[#17]
If only this would have been law sooner.. Think of all the lives that could have been saved.
Link Posted: 10/8/2015 10:39:21 PM EDT
[#18]
lol, ok.

Fuck him.

I will not comply.
Link Posted: 10/8/2015 10:39:32 PM EDT
[#19]
Divide by zero?
Link Posted: 10/8/2015 10:41:21 PM EDT
[#20]
Quoted:

View Quote View All Quotes
View All Quotes
Quoted:
Quoted:

My guess is that he's going to issue a 'feel good' executive order that basically says to do what the law already says.
Link Posted: 10/8/2015 10:41:22 PM EDT
[#21]
Quoted:
View Quote

None of your fucking business, that's who.
Link Posted: 10/8/2015 10:41:23 PM EDT
[#22]
the idiot liberal retards don't even know that this is already current law so now obongo gets to brag about his "victory over the NRA" to his autistic supporters.

being liberal autistic retards, it will embolden them to push for even more gun control because now they are "winning"
Link Posted: 10/8/2015 10:41:23 PM EDT
[#23]
Ok, here's my swag at this. He's proposing to take the current NICS check and impose some NFA type restrictions? Or does he not know that NICS is standard, no way is he that stupid; nor is there no way that BATF hasn't briefed him here.

In short, I'm guessing he's looking to increase the wait and cost on the individual looking to purchase a gun? More meaningless BS aimed at law-abiding citizens which is the intent here. Since he knows he has no way of actually seeing this EO holding, he's going to say "see, the republicans/NRA are against background checks.)

This has got to be some stealth registration play, it's gotta be.
Link Posted: 10/8/2015 10:42:03 PM EDT
[#24]
Sounds like Barry wants pretend he's doing something anti-gun while keeping up the Big Lie about a lack of background checks for the Low Information Voters to feed on.
Link Posted: 10/8/2015 10:43:54 PM EDT
[#25]
Can we just impeach this turd already
Link Posted: 10/8/2015 10:44:34 PM EDT
[#26]
Quoted:
Wouldn't work.  No "teeth" without statutory penalty.
View Quote

It will have statutory penalties. He is probably telling the ATF to reinterpret "occasional" to some arbitrarily low number.
Link Posted: 10/8/2015 10:45:23 PM EDT
[#27]
No, he wants to expand licensing to "unlicensed" dealers, or people who may sell firearms from their personal collection. Not those currently considered "engaged in the business".
Link Posted: 10/8/2015 10:45:35 PM EDT
[#28]

Yeah....  Anything he does by executive action - no matter how small or seemingly insignificant, is bad for our country.  .
Link Posted: 10/8/2015 10:46:04 PM EDT
[#29]
Huh?   Did I miss something?

If you're an FFL Dealer.....you're in the business of selling guns.  The FFL Dealer's Lic........isn't just given to everyone that asks for one.   NCIC background checks are already required on transfers done through an FFL Dealer.

Or maybe............

It's just that the Washington Post's writer doesn't know jack about the subject?  Like when, a writer calls a magazine a clip.  Or, says that an AR15 is an automatic weapon.

Aloha, Mark
Link Posted: 10/8/2015 10:46:32 PM EDT
[#30]
Quoted:

View All Quotes
Quoted:
Quoted:

This post nailed it.
Link Posted: 10/8/2015 10:49:33 PM EDT
[#31]
It is a tale told by an idiot, full of sound and fury, signifying nothing.
Link Posted: 10/8/2015 10:50:18 PM EDT
[#32]
OH!

they are putting a real documented number to show when its a hobby and when you really become a dealer needing a 01.. as of right now that number is fuzzy..
Link Posted: 10/8/2015 10:52:40 PM EDT
[#33]

In response to the latest mass shooting during his presidency, President Obama is seriously considering circumventing Congress with his executive authority and imposing new background-check requirements for buyers who purchase weapons from high-volume gun dealers.
View Quote

As opposed to those low volume dealers, who are of course not required to perform BG checks.

Under the proposed rule change, dealers who exceed a certain number of sales each year would be required to obtain a license from the Bureau of Alcohol, Tobacco, Firearms and Explosives and perform background checks on potential buyers.
View Quote

Making dealers get a license from the ATF. Making dealers perform BG checks on all buyers. Never. Been. Done. Before.

Link Posted: 10/8/2015 10:52:44 PM EDT
[#34]
Eh, I thought they wanted to get rid of kitchen table ffl folks and make everyone have a storefront and blah blah blah.

I think they should make an ffl easy to get.

Guns in the mail right to your door.

I figure they don't know the current rules and regs and I really doubt they know all about the atf bungling paperwork, or maybe they do.

Would a straight talk phone be ok for an ffl phone number?
Link Posted: 10/8/2015 10:53:59 PM EDT
[#35]
Quoted:
OH!

they are putting a real documented number to show when its a hobby and when you really become a dealer needing a 01.. as of right now that number is fuzzy..
View Quote

If they use the 50 number it sounds more reasonable than the ATF has been when it comes to pressuring people who sell guns without an FFL.
Link Posted: 10/8/2015 10:54:29 PM EDT
[#36]
I think that fucked up article is trying to say individuals that sell over X amount of guns per year will have to get some kind of license.
Kinda like a mini FFL
Stupid shit that really won't do anything.

Link Posted: 10/8/2015 10:54:42 PM EDT
[#37]
How can they prove it? I don't see how they can.

Or am I missing something here?
Link Posted: 10/8/2015 10:54:44 PM EDT
[#38]
Quoted:

View All Quotes
Quoted:
Quoted:

In other words, "Fucking mind your own."
Link Posted: 10/8/2015 10:55:11 PM EDT
[#39]
Quoted:

If they use the 50 number it sounds more reasonable than the ATF has been.
View All Quotes
Quoted:
Quoted:
OH!

If they use the 50 number it sounds more reasonable than the ATF has been.

yup might be doing us a favor.. most times they will bust at 25.
Link Posted: 10/8/2015 10:55:15 PM EDT
[#40]
Quoted:
Zero divide's by zero?
View Quote

FIFY
Link Posted: 10/8/2015 10:55:17 PM EDT
[#41]
Quoted:
View Quote

Says right in the article.... Dealers.

Link Posted: 10/8/2015 10:56:44 PM EDT
[#42]
Quoted:
How can they prove it? I don't see how they can.

Or am I missing something here?
View Quote

That's the real problem in this (now that I actually understand it).  How can they prove that you sold X amount of guns in a given period without tapping your phone, e-mail, ect.  and even then, some guns are sold word of mouth through friends and family.  Yeah, good luck atf.
Link Posted: 10/8/2015 10:57:07 PM EDT
[#43]
Quoted:
C&R FFL?

View Quote

terrorists, every one
Link Posted: 10/8/2015 10:57:08 PM EDT
[#44]
Basically, they are saying that CR licensees are why the streets are running red. Putting too many assault  mausers and mosin nagants on the street. They really are idiots...
Link Posted: 10/8/2015 10:57:44 PM EDT
[#45]
Quoted:

My guess is that he's going to issue a 'feel good' executive order that basically says to do what the law already says.
View All Quotes
Quoted:
Quoted:
Quoted:

Yep.  Won't do shit.
Link Posted: 10/8/2015 10:58:41 PM EDT
[#46]
Quoted:
Hmm. So, background checks on the background checks?
View Quote

Yo dawg ... I heard you like background checks ...
Link Posted: 10/8/2015 10:58:49 PM EDT
[#47]
Quoted:
wtf did i just read?
View Quote

+1

What are they trying to say?  It sounds like he's trying to make something illegal that is already illegal, that is, to deal in firearms without an FFL.
Link Posted: 10/8/2015 10:59:03 PM EDT
[#48]
Well, I think the plan is that this change will eliminate all crime, making the ownership of a firearm for self-defense pointless...pretty sneaky.

...and FBHO
Link Posted: 10/8/2015 10:59:30 PM EDT
[#49]
Quoted:

Nonsense.
View All Quotes
Quoted:
Quoted:
wtf did i just read?

Nonsense.

Yup.

It's pretty fowl and I bet he ends up with a goose egg of supporters.
Link Posted: 10/8/2015 11:00:08 PM EDT
[#50]
So, when has the Communist In Chief issued an EO that was rejected?

TC
Arrow Left Previous Page
Page / 3
Close Join Our Mail List to Stay Up To Date! Win a FREE Membership!

Sign up for the ARFCOM weekly newsletter and be entered to win a free ARFCOM membership. One new winner* is announced every week!

You will receive an email every Friday morning featuring the latest chatter from the hottest topics, breaking news surrounding legislation, as well as exclusive deals only available to ARFCOM email subscribers.

By signing up you agree to our User Agreement. *Must have a registered ARFCOM account to win.
Top Top