Confirm Action

Are you sure you wish to do this?

Confirm Cancel
BCM
User Panel

Arrow Left Previous Page
Page / 6
Posted: 10/8/2015 12:38:09 PM EDT
http://lifehacker.com/verizon-will-add-20-to-grandfathered-unlimited-plan-cu-1735417871
Link Posted: 10/8/2015 12:41:49 PM EDT
[#1]
This will either backfire on them stupendously or people will suck it up and take it.

I predict much outrage and then compliance because of the excellent service.
Link Posted: 10/8/2015 12:42:16 PM EDT
[#2]
Dammit i'm still on unlimited. >=[
Link Posted: 10/8/2015 12:43:05 PM EDT
[#3]
Hrm.

I have unlimited

But use between 20 and 60 gigs a month
Link Posted: 10/8/2015 12:43:13 PM EDT
[#4]
Straight Talk for the win, bitches!
Link Posted: 10/8/2015 12:44:24 PM EDT
[#5]

How good is Straight Talk?
Link Posted: 10/8/2015 12:44:36 PM EDT
[#6]
Discussion ForumsJump to Quoted PostQuote History
Quoted:
View Quote

Me too...  still cheaper to use PDANet+ for my home hotspot than Charter or Uverse...
Link Posted: 10/8/2015 12:44:56 PM EDT
[#7]
Guess i will be losing my unlimited 3 phones with it.

i already have a $300 a month phone bill this will make it more than what i willing to pay.
Link Posted: 10/8/2015 12:48:22 PM EDT
[#8]
I have a mobile mifi with unlimited data - only option out where I live besides dial-up or satellite. I'll gladly pay more but I will cut down on other options to bring the price back down.
Link Posted: 10/8/2015 12:48:40 PM EDT
[#9]
Quoted:
i already have a $300 a month phone bill this will make it more than what i willing to pay.
View Quote

Even with the extra cost, I don't think there is a better option, unless you don't need that much data.
Link Posted: 10/8/2015 12:52:20 PM EDT
[#10]
Quoted:

How good is Straight Talk?
View Quote

I have ST, and my service is Verizon...my phone info says Verizon, and when I dial 411, I get Verizon directory assistance.

On my previous ST phone, I used ATT service...It just depends on what phone you want to use...Do your research and use a phone on Verizon bands.

Easy peasy....been with them since 2009.

I would gladly fuck Verizon with the same rusty cactus that I used to fuck Obamas ass.
Link Posted: 10/8/2015 12:52:33 PM EDT
[#11]
Awesome. Now I'll be paying $200 for two phones. Guess it's time to find a new carrier. Fuck Verizon.
Link Posted: 10/8/2015 12:54:36 PM EDT
[#12]
Still on unlimited, with Mobile Hotspot.

I no longer use that phone as a phone, it is my dedicated internet device.  

Living in the country gives me few options for fast internet but the cell tower is a mile away.  Speeds are awesome and we stream everything.  Usually use 30 to 50g per months.  Bill will go from $108 to $128 per month.  I get a 25% discount through work.
Link Posted: 10/8/2015 12:58:46 PM EDT
[#13]
Way to shaft loyal customers who've been around for a while when the data plans started for smart phones.

I only save $5 if I go down to the 3gb range and typically used 3~5gb monthly, pretty pointless.

Link Posted: 10/8/2015 1:03:23 PM EDT
[#14]
Quoted:

Living in the country gives me few options for fast internet but the cell tower is a mile away.  Speeds are awesome and we stream everything.  Usually use 30 to 50g per months.  Bill will go from $108 to $128 per month.  I get a 25% discount through work.
View Quote

You run your house on 30 to 50GB/month? WITH streaming?

Damn. I can't remember when that last happened.

Link Posted: 10/8/2015 1:05:43 PM EDT
[#15]
Quoted:
Way to shaft loyal customers who've been around for a while when the data plans started for smart phones.

I only save $5 if I go down to the 3gb range and typically used 3~5gb monthly, pretty pointless.

View Quote

And how much data did those first smart phones use?

Now phones are basically computers. A few people hogging bandwidth keep everyone else from enjoying what they too are paying for. If everyone paid for what they used - the problem goes away.
Link Posted: 10/8/2015 1:06:37 PM EDT
[#16]

Quoted:
http://img.photobucket.com/albums/v217/tep0583/cm_zpscvcyuvn6.jpg
View Quote View All Quotes
View All Quotes
Quoted:
Quoted:

Link Posted: 10/8/2015 1:07:33 PM EDT
[#17]
So this is Verizons way of saying "go to sprint, they are not only cheaper than us, but you actually get unlimited"
Link Posted: 10/8/2015 1:08:04 PM EDT
[#18]
Quoted:

Now phones are basically computers. A few people hogging bandwidth keep everyone else from enjoying what they too are paying for. If everyone paid for what they used - the problem goes away.
View All Quotes
Quoted:
Quoted:

Do you think $10/gig is a fair price?  Because I don't.  No reason for an LTA network to get bogged down unless you're in a densely populated area with few towers.
Link Posted: 10/8/2015 1:08:22 PM EDT
[#19]
View All Quotes
Quoted:
Quoted:
Quoted:

http://i.imgur.com/tFBhIv7.jpg    

It's streaming, not downloading...

I used to stream more, but I am rarely home before 10 pm and the GF thinks toasters are too high tech for her so she never uses the set up.
Link Posted: 10/8/2015 1:09:29 PM EDT
[#20]
Quoted:

View All Quotes
Quoted:
Quoted:

Not arguing there, but most of those people moved on with new phones and new contracts.

I paid for my phone in full to keep the unlimited; in the end if I kept my phone for over 2 years, it was the cheaper route contrast to getting a new contract for a lower cost of a phone and paying more for a data service which would equate to the 5mb range.
Link Posted: 10/8/2015 1:09:52 PM EDT
[#21]
There is some good and bad news unlimited data guys.

"Good" news- You will now be able to take advantage of Verizon's device payment program, meaning that you are not stuck with the only option of buying your device full price off contract as we were before.

Bad news: Unlike the attemtped speed throttling that resulted in the FCC ass raping Verizon, price changes are allowed in the contract you signed, so the FCC probably won't go to bat for us on this.

For those of you on Unlimited data and considering bailing PLEASE LISTEN.

We are moving into an age where every device we own uses data and needs a data connection- phones, watches, mobile computing, appliances, cars. In addition the sheer amount of data consumed by each device increases every year. CRT to VGA to HD to 4k. There is no going back. In this world and in this FUTURE truly UNLIMITED data is of undefinable value. It's like you bought into a fixed gasoline price when it was 50c a gallon. Verizon will trick or cajole many people into giving this away over the years, but keeping it is something truly invaluable and future proof.

There will come a time where current tiered data plans size and speed does not live up to consumer needs and as time goes on the infrastructure will support cheaper data, but that will take DECADES. Data is a commodity. Don't throw this unlimited resource away even if you don't take advantage of its full potential today. In 6 years when every mobile device has a 4k screen and streams full 4k (or higher) gigabytes will seem like megabytes.

Link Posted: 10/8/2015 1:11:26 PM EDT
[#22]
on the straight talk site it has a function and asks what phone you have, type the info in and see if all is compatible. I had verizon with a motorola andriod. Roughly 95 a month 4 gig plan. Went to straight talk for 45 a month and 5 gig, slowed past that. Same verizon service. I've not had any problems to speak of. My phone is what I use to surf interwebs and have gotten rid of sat internet to save another 60 a mth. And theres some breaks paying 3mth, 6mnth, or yrly is like a month free. I can add time by buying a card with a pin super easy or just pay by credit card straight to account, add months to my phone or any straight talk phone number as a gift per say. I was paying double or more than now, wished I had made the move yrs ago. Only change is the sim card and all your info stays in your phone.
Link Posted: 10/8/2015 1:12:03 PM EDT
[#23]
OMG what about meeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeee?

Link Posted: 10/8/2015 1:12:15 PM EDT
[#24]
Quoted:

Me too...  still cheaper to use PDANet+ for my home hotspot than Charter or Uverse...
View All Quotes
Quoted:
Quoted:

When I got fucked out of my unlimited plan it pretty much made my paid PDANet useless as I don't have enough data to stream movies anymore
Link Posted: 10/8/2015 1:13:05 PM EDT
[#25]

Quoted:
View All Quotes
Quoted:

Quoted:

This.

Link Posted: 10/8/2015 1:13:21 PM EDT
[#26]
Quoted:

"Good" news- You will now be able to take advantage of Verizon's device payment program, meaning that you are not stuck with the only option of buying your device full price off contract as we were before.

Bad news: Unlike the attemtped speed throttling that resulted in the FCC ass raping Verizon, price changes are allowed in the contract you signed, so the FCC probably won't go to bat for us on this.

We are moving into an age where every device we own uses data and needs a data connection- phones, watches, mobile computing, appliances, cars. In addition the sheer amount of data consumed by each device increases every year. CRT to VGA to HD to 4k. There is no going back. In this world and in this FUTURE truly UNLIMITED data is of undefinable value. It's like you bought into a fixed gasoline price when it was 50c a gallon. Verizon will trick or cajole many people into giving this away over the years, but keeping it is something truly invaluable and future proof.

There will come a time where current tiered data plans size and speed does not live up to consumer needs and as time goes on the infrastructure will support cheaper data, but that will take DECADES. Data is a commodity. Don't throw this unlimited resource away even if you don't take advantage of its full potential today. In 6 years when every mobile device has a 4k screen and streams full 4k (or higher) gigabytes will seem like megabytes.
View Quote

Link Posted: 10/8/2015 1:13:25 PM EDT
[#27]
Quoted:
So this is Verizons way of saying "go to sprint, they are not only cheaper than us, but you actually get unlimited"
View Quote

No good having all that unlimited freedom when you can't get a signal on Sprint
Link Posted: 10/8/2015 1:14:16 PM EDT
[#28]
I wondered why they sent me a txt message this morning saying I could get a free phone for being a long time customer.
Link Posted: 10/8/2015 1:14:42 PM EDT
[#29]

Quoted:

View Quote

Yes, that's exactly what it is.  The theory is that folks who use 50-500 GB of data a month while paying the same rate as someone who uses 5-10 are customers they'd rather have leave for a competing network.

And as much as I don't like VZ, I don't blame them. Pay for what you use or go clog up someone else's network.
Link Posted: 10/8/2015 1:15:19 PM EDT
[#30]
Quoted:
I wondered why they sent me a txt message this morning saying I could get a free phone for being a long time customer.
View Quote

Link Posted: 10/8/2015 1:17:36 PM EDT
[#31]
Quoted:

Even with the extra cost, I don't think there is a better option, unless you don't need that much data.
View All Quotes
Quoted:
Quoted:

That's what they are trying to do.  Boot you from unlimited.

The problem they face with this plan, is that the people they want off of unlimited (people who use a fuckton of data) aren't the ones who are going to be happy with a limited plan.

Link Posted: 10/8/2015 1:17:51 PM EDT
[#32]
Quoted:

And as much as I don't like VZ, I don't blame them. Pay for what you use or go clog up someone else's network.
View All Quotes
Quoted:
Quoted:

Right, screw those people who go on board first and took advantage of it, equality for all bitches.
Link Posted: 10/8/2015 1:20:32 PM EDT
[#33]
Quoted:

View Quote

What's to stop them from saying effective X future date. Unlimited data will no longer be available. You have the choice of going to one of our other plans or losing your account.
No clue what legal terms there are in the cellular world
Link Posted: 10/8/2015 1:23:03 PM EDT
[#34]

Quoted:
Do you think $10/gig is a fair price?  Because I don't.  No reason for an LTA network to get bogged down unless you're in a densely populated area with few towers.
View All Quotes
Quoted:

Quoted:

Quoted:

What's "fair" got to do with it?  It's a business, not a public utility. If you think the price is unfair, go to another network. Vote with your wallet and if enough people join you the market will cause VZ to change their ways.

My LTE speeds are 1/4 what they were when VZ first implemented it.

But I'm leaving VZ myself next year for Google Fi.  We'll see how that goes.  I predict I'll be back on VZ within a year, but I think it's worth a shot.
Link Posted: 10/8/2015 1:23:42 PM EDT
[#35]
How long until AT&T does the same thing?
Link Posted: 10/8/2015 1:24:36 PM EDT
[#36]
Quoted:

View Quote

I'm gonna keep my unlimited plan.
Link Posted: 10/8/2015 1:25:15 PM EDT
[#37]
Quoted:
What's to stop them from saying effective X future date. Unlimited data will no longer be available. You have the choice of going to one of our other plans or losing your account.
View Quote

Breach of contract, class action lawsuits, and all that...
Link Posted: 10/8/2015 1:27:06 PM EDT
[#38]
Quoted:
How long until AT&T does the same thing?
View Quote

Probably 2-3 months.
It seems like Verizon and AT&T mimic each other.
Link Posted: 10/8/2015 1:27:37 PM EDT
[#39]
Quoted:
What's "fair" got to do with it?  It's a business, not a public utility. If you think the price is unfair, go to another network. Vote with your wallet and if enough people join you the market will cause VZ to change their ways.

My LTE speeds are 1/4 what they were when VZ first implemented it.

View Quote

The price of my unlimited plan isn't unfair, $30 for 20-5 gig a month.
I woudn't pay 10x that like I would have to on a tiered system, and you're darn right I'd be with someone else at that point.
Verizon has the best coverage, and 4G for me means about 16mbps at home, which is plenty for most uses.
Link Posted: 10/8/2015 1:28:06 PM EDT
[#40]
Quoted:

View All Quotes
Quoted:
Quoted:

From what I understand, those who still have unlimited are grandfathered in via buying the phone in full price, not contract so technically they won't be breaching anything.
Link Posted: 10/8/2015 1:28:56 PM EDT
[#41]
Quoted:

View All Quotes
Quoted:
Quoted:

Aren't you out of contract after 2yrs or whatever?
If they can't end that plan then they're going to do what they're doing now. Keep adding fees until it's no long affordable
Link Posted: 10/8/2015 1:29:44 PM EDT
[#42]
Not surprising, and a long time coming, but still..

Link Posted: 10/8/2015 1:30:22 PM EDT
[#43]
My unlimited data plan with my 10% discount is less than $70.00 a month with T-Mobile.
Link Posted: 10/8/2015 1:33:09 PM EDT
[#44]
Quoted:

I used to stream more, but I am rarely home before 10 pm and the GF thinks toasters are too high tech for her so she never uses the set up.
View All Quotes
Quoted:
Quoted:
Quoted:
Quoted:

http://i.imgur.com/tFBhIv7.jpg    

it's still downloading, you just aren't retaining the data
Link Posted: 10/8/2015 1:34:45 PM EDT
[#45]
Quoted:

View All Quotes
Quoted:
Quoted:

Been there, done that. It's why I went to Verizon in the first place.

Link Posted: 10/8/2015 1:35:00 PM EDT
[#46]

Quoted:
From what I understand, those who still have unlimited are grandfathered in via buying the phone in full price, not contract so technically they won't be breaching anything.
View All Quotes
Quoted:

Quoted:

Quoted:

No the only portion of the contract that is not indefinite is the subsidized phone prices which went the way of the dinosaur a couple years ago as per the contract. Otherwise the contract is the contract and the service provided cannot be changed. When they tried to change something (throttling after a certain amount of data used) the FCC choke slammed them for violating contract law. The fine was to be somewhere in the hundreds of millions.
Link Posted: 10/8/2015 1:36:36 PM EDT
[#47]
I guess all the users out there who put on their face when talking about how they've been able to keep unlimited data are about to take it in the shorts.  I'm surprised Verizon didn't do this earlier.  My wife had the first Verizon iPhone 4, but we couldn't transfer the unlimited data because that phone didn't have a SIM card because it was pre-4G.  Therefore, we had no way to transfer service to an off-contract phone.  Oh well.
Link Posted: 10/8/2015 1:38:49 PM EDT
[#48]
Quoted:

No the only portion of the contract that is not indefinite is the subsidized phone prices which went the way of the dinosaur a couple years ago as per the contract. Otherwise the contract is the contract and the service provided cannot be changed. When they tried to change something (throttling after a certain amount of data used) the FCC choke slammed them for violating contract law. The fine was to be somewhere in the hundreds of millions.
View All Quotes
Quoted:
Quoted:
Quoted:
Quoted:

What I was implying is, a few years ago they changed their plans so that if you wanted a new phone with your unlimited plan you would have to pay for your phone in full instead of a contract plan for a price reduction.  That was the only way you could keep your unlimited with a new phone.  If you still have your old phone, by now that contract has ran out as it's been roughly 3~4 years since they did that.

In other words, unless I'm missing something, I don't see how anyone still has unlimited and also a contract plan.
Link Posted: 10/8/2015 1:39:08 PM EDT
[#49]
Quoted:

View All Quotes
Quoted:
Quoted:
Quoted:
Quoted:

Yeahhh, I'm still on my old Droid 4, waiting on some new decent QWERTY phone.
I'll buy it full price, probably 3rd party, and stick my sim card in it.
Link Posted: 10/8/2015 1:40:01 PM EDT
[#50]
Quoted:

View All Quotes
Quoted:
Quoted:
Quoted:
Quoted:

Throttling is a little different I would think. You're still providing the service, just not the service you signed up for.  Like I said I don't know but I'm surprised they don't have a legal way out to just drop all unlimited plans
Arrow Left Previous Page
Page / 6
Close Join Our Mail List to Stay Up To Date! Win a FREE Membership!

Sign up for the ARFCOM weekly newsletter and be entered to win a free ARFCOM membership. One new winner* is announced every week!

You will receive an email every Friday morning featuring the latest chatter from the hottest topics, breaking news surrounding legislation, as well as exclusive deals only available to ARFCOM email subscribers.

By signing up you agree to our User Agreement. *Must have a registered ARFCOM account to win.
Top Top