Confirm Action

Are you sure you wish to do this?

Confirm Cancel
BCM
User Panel

Arrow Left Previous Page
Page / 8
Posted: 10/3/2015 6:52:21 PM EDT
Met a guy a couple years ago who called me when he lost his job.  I do IT by trade but have had an on again off again remodeling business.  I do really well with it and get a lot of business from work (aka IT)and I am great at it.  Plus I don't need the cash and like working with my hands so I can undercut a lot of people.  So I take this kid and teach him a trade.  He goes from making $350 a week to $750-900.  Then the POS screws me for $85 bucks.  What is wrong with people other than really bad math $85>900????  Worst part is this kid goes to church so he tries to say he is a good guy because he does.  I believe in God, but so many people hide behind the church.
Link Posted: 10/3/2015 6:53:33 PM EDT
[#1]
OP talks about undercutting all the other remodelers in the area...complains about getting screwed over....
Link Posted: 10/3/2015 6:53:59 PM EDT
[#2]
I'll bite.

How'd he steal $85 from you?
Link Posted: 10/3/2015 6:54:18 PM EDT
[#3]
People are generally fucking retarded.

A hundred years ago when I was managing an auto parts store, I had to fire my asst. manager because he stole $40 out of a register he closed down.

Link Posted: 10/3/2015 6:54:46 PM EDT
[#4]
Discussion ForumsJump to Quoted PostQuote History
Quoted:
OP talks about undercutting all the other remodelers in the area...complains about getting screwed over....
View Quote

Free market economy, how does it work?
Link Posted: 10/3/2015 6:55:50 PM EDT
[#5]
Quoted:
Met a guy a couple years ago who called me when he lost his job.  I do IT by trade but have had an on again off again remodeling business.  I do really well with it and get a lot of business from work (aka IT)and I am great at it.  Plus I don't need the cash and like working with my hands so I can undercut a lot of people.  So I take this kid and teach him a trade.  He goes from making $350 a week to $750-900.  Then the POS screws me for $85 bucks.  What is wrong with people other than really bad math $85>900????  Worst part is this kid goes to church so he tries to say he is a good guy because he does.  I believe in God, but so many people hide behind the church.
View Quote

Sunday morning only Christians.

I know some.
Link Posted: 10/3/2015 6:57:43 PM EDT
[#6]
Quoted:
View Quote

Sorry someone did you wrong.  Some people are like that.  

Church doesn't have anything to do with a kid making bad decisions.   Going to church doesn't make you a Christian or a moral person, anymore than going into a garage makes you a car.  Going to church doesn't keep you from making poor or terrible decisions.  Churches have all kinds of people.  I would hope that most churches realize that all are sinners and try to point you to salvation and God, but people are gonna do bad things regardless.

Don't blame the church just b/c the kid uses church to justify him being good.  Obviously, going to church didn't make him good - nor should it.  It is a personal decision, not something that he gets through osmosis by sitting on the church bench.

Doesn't seem like the kid thought this out.  He just messed up a good income b/c he wanted to stiff you $85.  Not a wise or even selfish thing to do.  Even if he were thinking of himself you would think he would see how more money is better for him.
Link Posted: 10/3/2015 6:58:07 PM EDT
[#7]
Quoted:
View Quote

LOL, that's on par with being the most retarded post I've read today.
Link Posted: 10/3/2015 6:58:37 PM EDT
[#8]
I swear its a game with people. Same thing with poachers, they feel like they are getting away with it or something.
Not like they are hungry or poor, its a sport to screw someone before they get screwed I guess.
Link Posted: 10/3/2015 6:58:54 PM EDT
[#9]
Quoted:
People are generally fucking retarded.

A hundred years ago when I was managing an auto parts store, I had to fire my asst. manager because he stole $40 out of a register he closed down.

View Quote

People can be very stupid. Especially when it comes to handling money.

Link Posted: 10/3/2015 6:59:13 PM EDT
[#10]
Quoted:
I'll bite.

How'd he steal $85 from you?
View Quote

This.

If he straight up and took $85 out of your wallet, then confront him and can him.

If it's a calculation error or a mistake, confront him, give him a chance to make it right and move on.

Posted Via AR15.Com Mobile
Link Posted: 10/3/2015 6:59:15 PM EDT
[#11]
Quoted:
View Quote

Meh, at least it wasn't $87.
Link Posted: 10/3/2015 7:00:02 PM EDT
[#12]
Link Posted: 10/3/2015 7:02:55 PM EDT
[#13]
Kind of gay, the way it happened.  I taught him a bunch of stuff including fixing his car.  Long story short, I tell him how to change his oil, and he does it.  Drains the tranny fluid instead of the oil.  Tells me I should pay the bill.  I give him a choice, I stop teaching him remodeling, finances etc and give him $85 and walk or....  So after making $3500 in 4 weeks....  I grew up in the country and him the ghetto.

To the jackass who said I undercut.  Funny thing is professionals who I work with are so sick of "contractors" not showing up (they put stuff off), that I am winning the lottery to them.  Amazing what respecting people does...  Sorry for stepping on your toes...
Link Posted: 10/3/2015 7:03:41 PM EDT
[#14]
Quoted:
View Quote

There's a subtle difference here that seems to be evading you.
Link Posted: 10/3/2015 7:05:23 PM EDT
[#15]
Quoted:

View Quote View All Quotes
View All Quotes
Quoted:
Quoted:

Most guys that do it on the side don't usually carry insurance or licensing (if required in the area).

That allows them to do work a lot cheaper.
Link Posted: 10/3/2015 7:06:15 PM EDT
[#16]
Quoted:
View Quote

The student has become the teacher.
Link Posted: 10/3/2015 7:07:32 PM EDT
[#17]
Quoted:

Most guys that do it on the side don't usually carry insurance or licensing (if required in the area).

View All Quotes
Quoted:
Quoted:
Quoted:

You have the option to do that as well.

Link Posted: 10/3/2015 7:07:55 PM EDT
[#18]
Link Posted: 10/3/2015 7:08:04 PM EDT
[#19]
Quoted:

View All Quotes
Quoted:
Quoted:
Quoted:

And how did you extrapolate this into OP's business practices without so much as a smidge of information in support of same?
Link Posted: 10/3/2015 7:08:18 PM EDT
[#20]
Link Posted: 10/3/2015 7:09:13 PM EDT
[#21]
Link Posted: 10/3/2015 7:09:59 PM EDT
[#22]
Quoted:

I'd like to see him post his workers comp certificate.....

You do pay workers comp right OP? Since you have an employee you are required.

I'll hold my breath.
View All Quotes
Quoted:
Quoted:
Quoted:
Quoted:

I'd like to see him post his workers comp certificate.....

You do pay workers comp right OP? Since you have an employee you are required.

I'll hold my breath.

Much freedom, so wow.

Nothing like embracing the government regulations and crush small businesses.

Link Posted: 10/3/2015 7:10:41 PM EDT
[#23]
Quoted:
Kind of gay, the way it happened.  I taught him a bunch of stuff including fixing his car.  Long story short, I tell him how to change his oil, and he does it.  Drains the tranny fluid instead of the oil.  Tells me I should pay the bill.  I give him a choice, I stop teaching him remodeling, finances etc and give him $85 and walk or....  So after making $3500 in 4 weeks....  I grew up in the country and him the ghetto.
View Quote

Maybe I just need some coffee, but I think I  need a translator to understand what this means.

Link Posted: 10/3/2015 7:10:42 PM EDT
[#24]
I was looking into also getting him a 401K.  Dude I make $150K in my real job and $50K-75 doing remodeling. Don't try to judge me because you are a failure.  Anymore questions?
Link Posted: 10/3/2015 7:10:44 PM EDT
[#25]
Quoted:

20yrs in the trades.

How about you?
View All Quotes
Quoted:
Quoted:
Quoted:
Quoted:
Quoted:

And how did you extrapolate this into OP's business practices without so much as a smidge of information in support of same?

20yrs in the trades.

How about you?

Clearly you've never heard of a 1099.
Link Posted: 10/3/2015 7:11:22 PM EDT
[#26]
Quoted:
I was looking into also getting him a 401K.  Dude I make $150K in my real job and $50K-75 doing remodeling. Don't try to judge me because you are a failure.  Anymore questions?
View Quote

Fuck the guys who think people working on the side need to be 'regulated by the government'.

Fuck them with a rusty rake.
Link Posted: 10/3/2015 7:12:12 PM EDT
[#27]
Quoted:

20yrs in the trades.

How about you?
View All Quotes
Quoted:
Quoted:
Quoted:
Quoted:
Quoted:

20yrs in the trades.

How about you?

Running a welding truck, off and on, since 1979.
None of which supports your blind presumption slandering OP.

ETA: Wow, "ignore" doesn't work on Site Mods/Staff. Just learned this.
Link Posted: 10/3/2015 7:13:43 PM EDT
[#28]
I appreciate the anti regulations, trust me...  But I do want my workers protected.
Link Posted: 10/3/2015 7:14:14 PM EDT
[#29]
Quoted:

To the jackass who said I undercut.  Funny thing is professionals who I work with are so sick of "contractors" not showing up (they put stuff off), that I am winning the lottery to them.  Amazing what respecting people does...  Sorry for stepping on your toes...
View All Quotes
Quoted:

Ummm.....hey dude.....apparently YOU'RE the jackass who said you undercut people in your original fucking post.

FFS. If you're gonna be a swingin' dick, you need to learn to fuckin' OWN IT.

Quoted:
...so I can undercut a lot of people.

Link Posted: 10/3/2015 7:14:45 PM EDT
[#30]
Quoted:
View Quote

Yes. When are you buying a Team membership?

Link Posted: 10/3/2015 7:14:48 PM EDT
[#31]
Quoted:

Fuck the guys who think people working on the side need to be 'regulated by the government'.

View All Quotes
Quoted:
Quoted:

What they said.
Why does a cheaper rate for the same work immediately suggest something underhanded?
Link Posted: 10/3/2015 7:15:14 PM EDT
[#32]
Quoted:
View Quote

The Irony huh?
Link Posted: 10/3/2015 7:16:22 PM EDT
[#33]
Quoted:
If your a legit contractor take his ass to court.

g.
View Quote

For $85???
Link Posted: 10/3/2015 7:16:48 PM EDT
[#34]
Observer I'm sorry...  Does your work suck so bad you can't find a job.  I'm sorry capitalism offends you.  Maybe Obambi can send you a phone...
Link Posted: 10/3/2015 7:17:40 PM EDT
[#35]
Link Posted: 10/3/2015 7:17:44 PM EDT
[#36]
Quoted:
I appreciate the anti regulations, trust me...  But I do want my workers protected.
View Quote

Of course you do. That's the mark of a great employer.

I think that negotiation should be between you and your employee and you and your customer.

Not a bunch of busy body dicks who want to place retarded regulations on businesses.
Link Posted: 10/3/2015 7:18:19 PM EDT
[#37]
I paid the $85, out of pride, it's the lack of loyalty I can't understand.
Link Posted: 10/3/2015 7:19:10 PM EDT
[#38]

Quoted:

View Quote

Yes, will you buy me a car?

Link Posted: 10/3/2015 7:19:15 PM EDT
[#39]
Quoted:

Yeah, I am all for government deregulation, in fact I hope like hell they step the fuck out of my life, but they won't and I make my living and feed three mouths by running a legit business and paying my taxes and dues. I don't like guys who undercut me by not following the same rules I am forced to.

BTW- Aren't you in law enforcement? That's some irony.
View All Quotes
Quoted:
Quoted:
Quoted:

Yeah, I am all for government deregulation, in fact I hope like hell they step the fuck out of my life, but they won't and I make my living and feed three mouths by running a legit business and paying my taxes and dues. I don't like guys who undercut me by not following the same rules I am forced to.

How does me hating government regulation make anything ironic? Do you even know what that means?
Link Posted: 10/3/2015 7:19:22 PM EDT
[#40]
Quoted:
Observer I'm sorry...  Does your work suck so bad you can't find a job.  I'm sorry capitalism offends you.  Maybe Obambi can send you a phone...
View Quote

Sorry to hurt your feelz, but don't come whining like a little bitch when I quote what you said.

I'm capitalist as fuck lil' homie, you don't know me. You don't know me. At ALL.

Now go whine somewhere else.
Link Posted: 10/3/2015 7:19:43 PM EDT
[#41]
Quoted:

View All Quotes
Quoted:
Quoted:
Quoted:

And they usually don't pull permits etc.When your trying to run a legitimate business and have to pay for bonds,workman's comp, labor burden, bookkeeping, and two million dollars worth of insurance it really  changes the way you have to charge.
Link Posted: 10/3/2015 7:21:23 PM EDT
[#42]
Notice I live in CT, try not pulling a permit here.  I started this thread to get insight on how stupid people think and other than a couple good guys, I get more of the same...
Link Posted: 10/3/2015 7:21:48 PM EDT
[#43]
Quoted:
I paid the $85, out of pride, it's the lack of loyalty I can't understand.
View Quote

What does pride have to do with it?
Link Posted: 10/3/2015 7:22:11 PM EDT
[#44]
I fail to understand how he drained transmission  fluid trying to do an oil change so you owe $85.

Link Posted: 10/3/2015 7:22:45 PM EDT
[#45]
Link Posted: 10/3/2015 7:23:38 PM EDT
[#46]
Quoted:

View All Quotes
Quoted:
Quoted:

How so. Licensed contractors have to carry a bond, insurance, continuing ed and a plethora of other gov. costs. OP did not say if he was licensed but I assume not because he is able to undercut others. I dunno.
Link Posted: 10/3/2015 7:24:59 PM EDT
[#47]
It's 85 bucks.
Sounds like you've got the world licked.
You can afford to move on.
Link Posted: 10/3/2015 7:25:06 PM EDT
[#48]
I have a funny feeling the guys changing the subject are the ones who call a week late, show up 4 hours late and remove load bearing walls...
Link Posted: 10/3/2015 7:25:15 PM EDT
[#49]
Quoted:

Says the guy who enforces the laws, or do you only do that when it bennifits your argument?

Having workers comp and paying taxes is the law in case you were unaware.
View All Quotes
Quoted:
Quoted:
Quoted:
Quoted:
Quoted:

How does me hating government regulation make anything ironic? Do you even know what that means?

Says the guy who enforces the laws, or do you only do that when it bennifits your argument?

Having workers comp and paying taxes is the law in case you were unaware.

Can you even read? Who said anything about enforcing? Hating the laws has nothing to do with enforcement.

What the fuck, over?

Link Posted: 10/3/2015 7:25:39 PM EDT
[#50]
Quoted:

How so. Licensed contractors have to carry a bond, insurance, continuing ed and a plethora of other gov. costs. OP did not say if he was licensed but I assume not because he is able to undercut others. I dunno.
View All Quotes
Quoted:
Quoted:
Quoted:

A lot of assumptions going on around here.
Arrow Left Previous Page
Page / 8
Top Top