Are you sure you wish to do this?

Confirm Cancel
BCM
User Panel

Arrow Left Previous Page
Page / 7
Posted: 10/1/2015 6:19:22 PM EDT
Stephen Hawking says nomadic aliens might crush us

Many of Stephen Hawking's recent pronouncements have been slightly dire.

He worries about artificial intelligence. We evolve so slowly that it could simply stomp us out, he said last year.

But there are other threats. In an interview with Spain's El Pais, the world-renowned physicist said he feared aliens might destroy us. He said it might be worse that when Columbus turned up in the Americas.

"Such advanced aliens would perhaps become nomads, looking to conquer and colonize whatever planets they can reach," Hawking told El Pais. "To my mathematical brain, the numbers alone make thinking about aliens perfectly rational.
View Quote

I am thinking they will be so advanced they won't have any idea how to protect themselves from primitive weapons like a bullet.
Link Posted: 10/1/2015 6:21:55 PM EDT
[#1]
Link Posted: 10/1/2015 6:23:12 PM EDT
[#2]
I'm thinking we find a hot-shot, cocky pilot laden with one-liners that is black and a Jewish computer-expert working well under his potential to fly a capture alien fighter and plant a virus in their mothership before we nuke it anyway.
Link Posted: 10/1/2015 6:23:41 PM EDT
[#3]
Why, I bet you could make a movie about such a scenario of nomadic aliens invading earth.  If someone hurried they might even be able to get into theaters before next Independence Day.
Link Posted: 10/1/2015 6:25:37 PM EDT
[#4]
Considering our distance from the nearest potentially habitable planet, if aliens could make it here, they would need some incredibly advanced technology. If they had the tech to warp space and time, their weapons tech is certainly going to be way out of our league.
Link Posted: 10/1/2015 6:26:13 PM EDT
[#5]
Link Posted: 10/1/2015 6:26:21 PM EDT
[#6]
We can't get that lucky... you know this!!

But if it does happen,  and we break down  into militia units a la falling skies, I call dibs on the hot young latina medic... just putting it out there now..
Link Posted: 10/1/2015 6:28:42 PM EDT
[#7]
Discussion ForumsJump to Quoted PostQuote History
Quoted:
Why does anyone listen to anything that guys says/types/drools?
View Quote

Good question...
Link Posted: 10/1/2015 6:34:59 PM EDT
[#8]
Quoted:
View Quote

Please be joking.
Link Posted: 10/1/2015 6:37:13 PM EDT
[#9]

Quoted:

I'm thinking we find a hot-shot, cocky pilot laden with one-liners that is black and a Jewish computer-expert working well under his potential to fly a capture alien fighter and plant a virus in their mothership before we nuke it anyway.
View Quote
Don't forget the drunk former pilot alien abductee that joins a ragtag group of pilots that sacrifices himself to show us how to bring them sum bitches down.

Link Posted: 10/1/2015 6:39:09 PM EDT
[#10]
It's amazing that a man so limited in mobility can still continue to jump the shark
Link Posted: 10/1/2015 6:40:35 PM EDT
[#11]
Link Posted: 10/1/2015 6:42:25 PM EDT
[#12]
Quoted:

He worries about artificial intelligence. We evolve so slowly that it could simply stomp us out, he said last year.

But there are other threats. In an interview with Spain's El Pais, the world-renowned physicist said he feared aliens might destroy us. He said it might be worse that when Columbus turned up in the Americas.

"Such advanced aliens would perhaps become nomads, looking to conquer and colonize whatever planets they can reach," Hawking told El Pais. "To my mathematical brain, the numbers alone make thinking about aliens perfectly rational.
View Quote

I am thinking they will be so advanced they won't have any idea how to protect themselves from primitive weapons like a bullet.
View Quote

Bullets wouldn't do anything against some sort of super bio weapon that would kill us.
Link Posted: 10/1/2015 6:43:15 PM EDT
[#13]
Quoted:
Don't forget the drunk former pilot alien abductee that joins a ragtag group of pilots that sacrifices himself to show us how to bring them sum bitches down.  
View Quote View All Quotes
View All Quotes
Quoted:
Quoted:

Since I doubt our CinC can fly a plane, can we just duct him to a SAM and let it do its thing?

Posted Via AR15.Com Mobile
Link Posted: 10/1/2015 6:43:57 PM EDT
[#14]
I await the Borg......................

Link Posted: 10/1/2015 6:46:00 PM EDT
[#15]
Quoted:

Not in the slightest bit.  

This "announcement" is Exhibit "A".

"Nomadic aliens might destroy us".  How brilliant is that?  Jeez, know what?  We might not get destroyed by aliens.      
View All Quotes
Quoted:
Quoted:
Quoted:

Please be joking.

"Nomadic aliens might destroy us".  How brilliant is that?  Jeez, know what?  We might not get destroyed by aliens.      

I just figured someone shoved a microphone in his face speaker and asked "whatcha' thinkin'" and that was his answer.
Link Posted: 10/1/2015 6:48:20 PM EDT
[#16]

I'm with Hawking.  But we have our response team, and when the time comes, I'll proudly yell "Welcome to Erf" with the best of them.
Link Posted: 10/1/2015 6:48:42 PM EDT
[#17]
Link Posted: 10/1/2015 6:51:03 PM EDT
[#18]
Quoted:

Bullets wouldn't do anything against some sort of super bio weapon that would kill us.
View All Quotes
Quoted:
Quoted:

Yup, an alien war on us would be like the one we wage against insects.

Spray pests as many times as necessary.
Link Posted: 10/1/2015 6:51:22 PM EDT
[#19]

Quoted:

Why, I bet you could make a movie about such a scenario of nomadic aliens invading earth.  If someone hurried they might even be able to get into theaters before next Independence Day.
View Quote

They'd have to Battle in Los Angeles to see which theater opened it first. The Earth Might Stand Still in anticipation. I see Signs that such a film would be an Arrival of sorts.
Link Posted: 10/1/2015 6:53:23 PM EDT
[#20]
I for one welcome our alien overlords.
Link Posted: 10/1/2015 6:54:59 PM EDT
[#21]

Assimilate me please.
Link Posted: 10/1/2015 6:55:41 PM EDT
[#22]
Quoted:

They'd have to Battle in Los Angeles to see which theater opened it first. The Earth Might Stand Still in anticipation. I see Signs that such a film would be an Arrival of sorts.
View All Quotes
Quoted:
Quoted:

Yeah, it makes me really wish someone would get off their ass and finally make a good alien vs earth style movie!  Clearly its never been done
Link Posted: 10/1/2015 6:56:02 PM EDT
[#23]
Link Posted: 10/1/2015 6:56:55 PM EDT
[#24]

Stephen Hawking doesnt say nomadic alien transvestites might rape us,why is he avoiding that???

what does he know??
Link Posted: 10/1/2015 6:57:34 PM EDT
[#25]
Just give them a virus
Link Posted: 10/1/2015 6:58:28 PM EDT
[#26]
No shit. I don't have to be an astrophysicist to know that.
Link Posted: 10/1/2015 6:59:05 PM EDT
[#27]

Quoted:

View All Quotes
Quoted:

Quoted:

Quoted:

Please be joking.

Not like any science fiction book has ever come up with it (cough-cough John ringo).

Link Posted: 10/1/2015 7:06:09 PM EDT
[#28]
AI is way scarier than the prospect of aliens.
Link Posted: 10/1/2015 7:07:12 PM EDT
[#29]
Quoted:

View All Quotes
Quoted:
Quoted:
Quoted:

Please be joking.

GD loves anti-intellectualism.
Link Posted: 10/1/2015 7:09:47 PM EDT
[#30]
Quoted:

View All Quotes
Quoted:
Quoted:

You win the internet.
Link Posted: 10/1/2015 7:18:30 PM EDT
[#31]
Quoted:

View Quote

View Quote

Liberal aliens got rid of their guns long ago. They didn't need guns.

ETA:
What if aliens are so advanced that they lost the need to be smart, and they are living in a world portrayed by the movie"Iidiocracy"
Link Posted: 10/1/2015 7:19:27 PM EDT
[#32]

WHY?!!!!!

Link Posted: 10/1/2015 7:19:53 PM EDT
[#33]
Just send the Reaver fleet after them.
Link Posted: 10/1/2015 7:20:25 PM EDT
[#34]

Quoted:
Please be joking.
View All Quotes
Quoted:

Quoted:

Please be joking.

The guy is brilliant, but if he's not talking about quantum mechanics it's best to tune him out.
Link Posted: 10/1/2015 7:21:17 PM EDT
[#35]
Or nukes, or Yellowstone, or an asteroid, or solar radiation, or the communists, or the devil, or god, or time travlers, or cern, or hfcs, or ice age, and so on.  Why worry about something hypothetical.

Posted Via AR15.Com Mobile
Link Posted: 10/1/2015 7:27:45 PM EDT
[#36]

Borg tits FTW!

Link Posted: 10/1/2015 7:31:01 PM EDT
[#37]
If an alien species capable of reaching us with the desire to conquer us actually decided to do so, everything on the planet they wanted dead would be dead before we even knew they were there.
Link Posted: 10/1/2015 7:33:10 PM EDT
[#38]
It's all about resources man. Didn't you learn anything from 'Prometheus' and why they built their bioweapons?
Link Posted: 10/1/2015 7:38:29 PM EDT
[#39]
I will fuck them to death with my dick. I mean it.
Link Posted: 10/1/2015 7:45:46 PM EDT
[#40]
Nomadic space aliens? I welcome and look forward to sexy time with our Quarian overlords.
Link Posted: 10/1/2015 7:47:15 PM EDT
[#41]
What's black and charred at the top of a flight of stairs?
Stephen Hawking after a house fire
Link Posted: 10/1/2015 7:47:28 PM EDT
[#42]
We should prepare for some serious probing.
Link Posted: 10/1/2015 7:48:51 PM EDT
[#43]
An operator must utilize his battle space capabilities with maximum efficiency to be a force multiplier in asymmetric combat scenarios, thus neutralizing all terrestrial or extraterrestrial threats.
Link Posted: 10/1/2015 7:50:15 PM EDT
[#44]

Link Posted: 10/1/2015 7:52:53 PM EDT
[#45]
We were probably pretty safe until "big mouth" opened his suck and gave them ideas.  OpSec much Hawking?  
Link Posted: 10/1/2015 7:54:09 PM EDT
[#46]
Could go either way, nomadic space aliens might destroy us, we might destroy them, or we might forge a beautiful relationship and they give us FTL capabilities
Link Posted: 10/1/2015 7:55:10 PM EDT
[#47]
Based on the actions of the nomadic alein in the White House I'm with Hawkins on this one.......
Link Posted: 10/1/2015 7:57:46 PM EDT
[#48]
Link Posted: 10/1/2015 7:59:39 PM EDT
[#49]
Sounds like the Crackers in Stephen Baxter's novel Manifold: Space.

Many thousands of light sail ships, wiping out humans all over the Solar System.

They converge on Mercury, they want the metals to build lots more light sail ships and a machine to blow up the Sun, which will propel their ships to new destinations.
Link Posted: 10/1/2015 8:01:16 PM EDT
[#50]
Quoted:
No shit. I don't have to be an astrophysicist to know that.
View Quote

This!
Arrow Left Previous Page
Page / 7
Top Top