Are you sure you wish to do this?

Confirm Cancel
BCM
User Panel

Arrow Left Previous Page
Page / 6
Posted: 10/1/2015 8:45:46 AM EDT
College personnel everywhere are struggling with students' increased neediness

Students are increasingly seeking help for, and apparently having emotional crises over, problems of everyday life. Recent examples mentioned included a student who felt traumatized because her roommate had called her a “bitch” and two students who had sought counseling because they had seen a mouse in their off-campus apartment. The latter two also called the police, who kindly arrived and set a mousetrap for them.

Faculty at the meetings noted that students’ emotional fragility has become a serious problem when in comes to grading. Some said they had grown afraid to give low grades for poor performance, because of the subsequent emotional crises they would have to deal with in their offices
View Quote

This bodes well for our future and definitely makes the case for expansion of student loan programs
Link Posted: 10/1/2015 8:47:51 AM EDT
[#1]
The Libtards have created some real losers in colleges these days. My students get the grade THEY EARN !
Link Posted: 10/1/2015 8:48:22 AM EDT
[#2]
Hard times make hard people
Hard people make good times
Good times make soft people
Soft people make hard times

...guess where we're at in that?
Link Posted: 10/1/2015 8:51:16 AM EDT
[#3]
*snort*
Link Posted: 10/1/2015 8:55:03 AM EDT
[#4]
That's pretty funny.
Link Posted: 10/1/2015 8:55:11 AM EDT
[#5]
Graduated in 2008 from OSU...

Definitely saw some people who couldn't cut it in the real world. We had a very cool international studies/history professor. Army in Vietnam... Was talking about the war and brought an AK47 in to show people what it was. (Pretty sure it was fake. Probably airsoft.) So may libtards complained then dropped the class because they were frightened.
Link Posted: 10/1/2015 8:57:19 AM EDT
[#6]
See it every day.
Link Posted: 10/1/2015 8:59:12 AM EDT
[#7]
This is the result of happens when every one gets a trophy.
Link Posted: 10/1/2015 8:59:39 AM EDT
[#8]
I can believe it. A lot of people I know who are in their early 20's (friends of my wife) are still hung up on the idea of things being 'fair'. Thankfully now that most of them are out of college and in the real world, they are wising up pretty quickly.
Link Posted: 10/1/2015 9:00:46 AM EDT
[#9]
Link Posted: 10/1/2015 9:03:20 AM EDT
[#10]

Too many people are not being told "Just Fucking Deal With It" when it comes to simple things in life....
Link Posted: 10/1/2015 9:04:46 AM EDT
[#11]
Discussion ForumsJump to Quoted PostQuote History
Quoted:

Too many people are not being told "Just Fucking Deal With It" when it comes to simple things in life....
View Quote

Where did that "Modern Man" list go...
Link Posted: 10/1/2015 9:04:50 AM EDT
[#12]
Quoted:

Students are increasingly seeking help for, and apparently having emotional crises over, problems of everyday life. Recent examples mentioned included a student who felt traumatized because her roommate had called her a “bitch” and two students who had sought counseling because they had seen a mouse in their off-campus apartment. The latter two also called the police, who kindly arrived and set a mousetrap for them.

Faculty at the meetings noted that students’ emotional fragility has become a serious problem when in comes to grading. Some said they had grown afraid to give low grades for poor performance, because of the subsequent emotional crises they would have to deal with in their offices
View Quote

This bodes well for our future and definitely makes the case for expansion of student loan programs
View Quote

They aren't preparing students for a career, they are preparing retards for voting.  If they understood this fully, the instructors would feel accomplished.
Link Posted: 10/1/2015 9:08:21 AM EDT
[#13]
Faculty also noted an increased tendency for students to blame them (the faculty) for low grades—they weren’t explicit enough in telling the students just what the test would cover or just what would distinguish a good paper from a bad one.
View Quote

LOL.  I went to a Catholic college where I took a course in Moral Theology of St. Paul.  The monk teaching the class told us that to prep for the final exam, "be prepared to vomit back anything and everything we have covered this semester."

On the other hand, in law school our Evidence professor gave a 100 question multiple choice exam.  He held a review session two days prior for FOUR HOURS.  The questions at the review session were nearly identical to the ones on the exam.  He STILL had people get Fs.  Invariably, when questioned, those F students admitted they had NOT attended the review session.
Link Posted: 10/1/2015 9:10:29 AM EDT
[#14]
It is a direct result of the war on boys waged in the educational system.
Link Posted: 10/1/2015 9:10:51 AM EDT
[#15]
Quoted:

View Quote View All Quotes
View All Quotes
Quoted:
Quoted:

25. The modern man has no use for a gun. He doesn’t own one, and he never will.

26. The modern man cries. He cries often.

http://www.nytimes.com/2015/10/02/fashion/mens-style/27-ways-to-be-a-modern-man.html?_r=0
Link Posted: 10/1/2015 9:10:53 AM EDT
[#16]
Quoted:

View Quote

This
Link Posted: 10/1/2015 9:11:03 AM EDT
[#17]
Quoted:

View Quote

I've never heard that. I like it
Link Posted: 10/1/2015 9:11:15 AM EDT
[#18]
This is what happens when you push anyone and everyone with an IQ higher than a goldfish to go to college. You end up with a lot of people who dont have the motivation, maturity or intellectual ability to be there.

Many students, they said, now view a C, or sometimes even a B, as failure, and they interpret such “failure” as the end of the world.
View Quote

Ok well when you have to maintain a GPA of 3.5 or higher to keep your scholarship students start getting really upset with anything less than a A. Even straight Bs would cause you do loose your scholarship. And with the cost of education its understandable for them to panic. Again this problem could be solved if less people went to college....less demand for college = lower tuition rates.
Link Posted: 10/1/2015 9:13:27 AM EDT
[#19]
I know a high school student who finished in the top 1% on the SAT who turned down a free ride from Cal Tech because he wanted to go to college locally so he could live at home with his mom. Sad. A nation of wimps.
Link Posted: 10/1/2015 9:14:12 AM EDT
[#20]
Link Posted: 10/1/2015 9:15:36 AM EDT
[#21]
The modern man child. Maintains his condidence so that other always think things are going swimmingly. Meanwhile he's in counseling for getting drunk and flunking out of advanced art history and deep fryer operation 101.
Link Posted: 10/1/2015 9:16:02 AM EDT
[#22]
Its OK, Bernie Sanders will make sure that the government takes care of all those issues for them.
Link Posted: 10/1/2015 9:16:43 AM EDT
[#23]
Life sucks, get a helmet.
- Denis Leary
Link Posted: 10/1/2015 9:18:17 AM EDT
[#24]
my oldest son is tragically as ugly as I am.  
but he is scoring girl friends waaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaay out of his league.

this article finally figured it out for me.

he is a man amongst boys.

Raise your boys to be men and the world will kneel before them.

and enjoy the lamentations of the feminists.
Link Posted: 10/1/2015 9:20:01 AM EDT
[#25]
Let's see, they create this environment with "microagressions", "triggers", "speech codes", etc., and now they're worried about students who can't deal with everyday life?
Link Posted: 10/1/2015 9:21:08 AM EDT
[#26]
School my kids go to allow "therapy" animals to live in the dorms.  Daughter's roommate was looking to bring in her mid-sized family mutt. Both she and I were beyond pissed... picturing chewed-up laptops, dog hair all over my daughter's clothes, inescapable dog-sitting when roommate decides she wants to go spend a weekend with a friend...

Luckily it didn't pan out for her, but the whole idea is patently ridiculous.

ETA:  I'm pretty convinced that this is a result of a childhood based on video games, social media and texting instead of sports, chores and summer jobs.  Yes, I'm a crusty old fart.
Link Posted: 10/1/2015 9:21:31 AM EDT
[#27]
I see the same thing with new members of the military.

They break under pressure of a standard work load, or calling them a dipshit when they fucked up and they report you for workplace harassment.
Link Posted: 10/1/2015 9:26:52 AM EDT
[#28]
Quoted:

View Quote

This gets true as he gets older too. Im and engineer and have some friends/co-works, all in their late 20s to early 30s that are some awkward, ugly dudes (Im one of them ) yet most are dating/married to some very good looking women. I can only attribute it to the fact that they have their s**t together in life. A guy with good career, life goals and a desire for a family becomes more desirable to a women the older they get.

The high school football team captain may have been hot stuff in high school but now that hes 30+ and still delivering pizzas women have little interest.

Link Posted: 10/1/2015 9:27:26 AM EDT
[#29]
Quoted:
This is what happens when you push anyone and everyone with an IQ higher than a goldfish to go to college. You end up with a lot of people who dont have the motivation, maturity or intellectual ability to be there.

Ok well when you have to maintain a GPA of 3.5 or higher to keep your scholarship students start getting really upset with anything less than a A. Even straight Bs would cause you do loose your scholarship. And with the cost of education its understandable for them to panic. Again this problem could be solved if less people went to college....less demand for college = lower tuition rates.
View All Quotes
Quoted:

Many students, they said, now view a C, or sometimes even a B, as failure, and they interpret such “failure” as the end of the world.

Hey now I lost my scholarship AND got booted out of honors the first semester, what now biatch
Link Posted: 10/1/2015 9:27:32 AM EDT
[#30]
Quoted:

http://www.nytimes.com/2015/10/02/fashion/mens-style/27-ways-to-be-a-modern-man.html?_r=0
View All Quotes
Quoted:
Quoted:
Quoted:

Lol @ #16 vs. #25.  That whole list is pretty fucking stupid.
Link Posted: 10/1/2015 9:27:34 AM EDT
[#31]
Quoted:

View All Quotes
Quoted:

Ahh but if less people went to college then there would be less need for college professors.  Can't have a lot of blowhards non practitioners without jobs.
Link Posted: 10/1/2015 9:35:19 AM EDT
[#32]

Some said they had grown afraid to give low grades for poor performance, because of the subsequent emotional crises they would have to deal with in their offices
View Quote
View Quote

Contributing to the whiner's problem they are whining about.

Not really a new phenomenon.  I saw it in the late 70's in college.  In the 80-90-00's in the various company tech schools.  Perhaps not total meltdowns, just a number of people attempting to manipulate for a better grade than was earned.  For the most part, the company tech schools were OPEN BOOK for GOD's sake.  20 minutes worth of material review prior to a test was all it took to score an ace.

The crisis cult types were the ones I knew I'd never have to compete with in the work place.

Link Posted: 10/1/2015 9:35:55 AM EDT
[#33]
Quoted:

Hey now I lost my scholarship AND got booted out of honors the first semester, what now biatch
View All Quotes
Quoted:
Quoted:

Hey me too, i was put on "Academic Probation" after my freshman year. Which is anything below a 3.0 gpa for students in the engineer department, I think i had a 2.5 gpa. By the end of my sophmore year i got it up to a 2.9, at which point i lost my scholarship as I had to maintain a 3.5 Think i graduated with a 2.7 gpa.

Needless to say i have not donated a single penny to my school since i graduated.
Link Posted: 10/1/2015 9:37:07 AM EDT
[#34]
Great article, OP.  My wife and I have discussed the topic of helicopter parenting fucking everything up many times, and have unerringly reached the same conclusion as the author.  If this kind of pantywaistedness is the shape of the future, my children will walk the earth like gods.
Link Posted: 10/1/2015 9:38:25 AM EDT
[#35]
Quoted:
Great article, OP.  My wife and I have discussed the topic of helicopter parenting fucking everything up many times, and have unerringly reached the same conclusion as the author.  If this kind of pantywaistedness is the shape of the future, my children will walk the earth like gods.
View Quote

I cant wait to have kids just so i can say "Man the f**k up" to my son someday.
Link Posted: 10/1/2015 9:39:13 AM EDT
[#36]
Student loans, no middle class job future, declining economy.  Oh the Noes.  If they can't handle the little fish (small issues), what happens when the balloons pop?  They're f*cked.

Next stop, cannibalism.  
Link Posted: 10/1/2015 9:45:24 AM EDT
[#37]
Quoted:

View All Quotes
Quoted:
Quoted:

lol

Your last two posts sound kinda conflicting.

You haven't donated to your school cuz they were hard on you and you graduated with a "meh" GPA, and then post this.

Plus, the way things are going people (and their kids) hardening up is going to be pretty common.
Link Posted: 10/1/2015 9:48:30 AM EDT
[#38]

Quoted:

View Quote
Yep, the relative peacefulness of the 70's, 80's and 90's came home to roost. Now it's been on the current generation to harden the fuck up and take care of business.

Link Posted: 10/1/2015 9:48:33 AM EDT
[#39]
Does this really surprise anybody, that these little, pampered, special snowflakes can't understand a world which doesn't revolve around them?

It even tells them "no" which is a completely new experience, for many of them.
Link Posted: 10/1/2015 9:49:41 AM EDT
[#40]
Quoted:

View Quote

View Quote

Well, look on the bright side----if there ever is some cataclysmic end of society as we know it, you will be in a far better position to be a powerful warlord with a large harem.
Link Posted: 10/1/2015 9:53:15 AM EDT
[#41]
Quoted:

lol

You haven't donated to your school cuz they were hard on you and you graduated with a "meh" GPA, and then post this.

Plus, the way things are going people (and their kids) hardening up is going to be pretty common.
View All Quotes
Quoted:
Quoted:
Quoted:

lol

I worked my a$$ off in college to get that degree. I didnt take fluffy poofy art history. When i was struggling and my grades were sucking I can remember my dad telling me to suck it up, study more and get my grades up. He is an engineer and got through it and said if he could do it i can do it too. I can count the number of parties i went to after freshman year on one hand, my weekends were spent in the library studying, not at the frat house trying to pick up chicks.

The reason i dont donate is because i think 3.5 GPA is pretty ridiculous for a scholarship, especially something in a hard science/math degree. I had professors that the first day of class said something along the lines of "I havnt given out a A grade in 20 years, one or two of you will get Bs, if you try hard you should be able to get a C but many of you will a D or F." hmm yeah good luck maintaining that gpa with professors like that. There is a disconnect, the school thinks all students should be getting As &Bs but the professors think they should be giving out Cs & Ds.  As a result i had to work part time while i was at school and full time during summers to pay for it all. I figure i dont owe my school any money as it was all donated my junior and senior year in the form of 100% full tuition, which was literally tens of thousands of dollars.
Link Posted: 10/1/2015 9:53:35 AM EDT
[#42]
Not bragging.  But my closer to 50 ugly ass has increasingly drawn the attention of 20's and 30's again.

I have had them come out and say they're not enough "men" available their own age.

Interesting times indeed.
Link Posted: 10/1/2015 9:56:23 AM EDT
[#43]

Quoted:

Does this really surprise anybody, that these little, pampered, special snowflakes can't understand a world which doesn't revolve around them?

It even tells them "no" which is a completely new experience, for many of them.
View Quote
Right.  The generation that raised them should feel ashamed to have let things get so bad.  

Link Posted: 10/1/2015 9:58:40 AM EDT
[#44]
Quoted:

View Quote

That's fucking beautiful, man.
Link Posted: 10/1/2015 10:03:17 AM EDT
[#45]
Quoted:

Ahh but if less people went to college then there would be less need for college professors.  Can't have a lot of blowhards non practitioners without jobs.
View All Quotes
Quoted:
Quoted:

This depends on the major. Most professors I know in the sciences would be perfectly happy to not teach undergrads at all. For them teaching is only a small part of their job.
Link Posted: 10/1/2015 10:03:36 AM EDT
[#46]
victimhood is a highly competitive field.
Link Posted: 10/1/2015 10:04:27 AM EDT
[#47]
Quoted:

This depends on the major. Most professors I know in the sciences would be perfectly happy to not teach undergrads at all. For them teaching is only a small part of their job.
View All Quotes
Quoted:
Quoted:
Quoted:

In the words of a prominent academic, "fuck the undergrads"
Link Posted: 10/1/2015 10:12:14 AM EDT
[#48]

Quoted:

Graduated in 2008 from OSU...

Definitely saw some people who couldn't cut it in the real world. We had a very cool international studies/history professor. Army in Vietnam... Was talking about the war and brought an AK47 in to show people what it was. (Pretty sure it was fake. Probably airsoft.) So may libtards complained then dropped the class because they were frightened.
View Quote
I had a prof at OU who carried a 1911 and was a raging case of PTSD.  Another one who would drop to the floor unable to stand because of all the damage done to his back during a helicopter crash in Viet Nam.  Yet another one trained to be a kamikazee pilot in WWII.  The hardest left wing one in the department once did a lecture on how to make a proper Molotov Cocktail launcher out of a shotgun.  They were "interesting" when it came time to have a faculty mixer.  Some of my fellow students were terrified of them.  It was nothing to get called out in class for being lazy, dumb, drunk, intellectually rigid, or any other variety of offenses.  I suspect that kind of learning is not done any more.  

Link Posted: 10/1/2015 10:13:20 AM EDT
[#49]
Quoted:

View All Quotes
Quoted:
Quoted:
Quoted:

Holy shit.
Link Posted: 10/1/2015 10:14:40 AM EDT
[#50]
Quoted:

...Faculty at the meetings noted that students’ emotional fragility has become a serious problem when in comes to grading. Some said they had grown afraid to give low grades for poor performance, because of the subsequent emotional crises they would have to deal with in their offices
View Quote

View Quote

Sounds to me like the faculty can't handle their own emotional problems when dealing with students.
Arrow Left Previous Page
Page / 6
Close Join Our Mail List to Stay Up To Date! Win a FREE Membership!

Sign up for the ARFCOM weekly newsletter and be entered to win a free ARFCOM membership. One new winner* is announced every week!

You will receive an email every Friday morning featuring the latest chatter from the hottest topics, breaking news surrounding legislation, as well as exclusive deals only available to ARFCOM email subscribers.

By signing up you agree to our User Agreement. *Must have a registered ARFCOM account to win.
Top Top