Confirm Action

Are you sure you wish to do this?

Confirm Cancel
BCM
User Panel

Arrow Left Previous Page
Page / 3
Posted: 9/2/2015 1:10:05 AM EDT
I've been working in the pet industry almost a decade.

It's amazing to me to see how many "rescue" dogs people have, that are really "adoptions" from the shelter. Better phrasing would be cheaply purchased dogs.

I know there's a lot of "rescue" groups out there, and I donate a lot of food and treats to the local ones, but when a group takes money for placing a dog, you are not rescuing the dog, you are purchasing it.

To me, a rescue dog is the Collie I hopped a fence for, and trimmed an ingrown nail, ruining a brand new pair of jeans with the blood.

The rescue is the dogfight in a back alley my friend saw, and took that throw away dog, and spent a few thousand nursing it back to health.

If you get your dog from a shelter, or rescue group, and have to pay, it's not a rescue, you are purchasing a dog.

You pay a fee, and buy a dog.

You aren't rescuing a dog, you're buying a dog.

No different than people who research a breed, search out reputable breeders, and buy a puppy based on what they want in a dog.
Link Posted: 9/2/2015 1:12:18 AM EDT
[#1]
All dogs are rescue dogs. I haven't heard of a non-rescue dog in probably 10 plus years.
Not true of course but that does seem to be the majority of dogs and it is a good thing.
Link Posted: 9/2/2015 1:12:32 AM EDT
[#2]
they want to sound noble, like they saved an injured dog who got stuck down a well or something
Link Posted: 9/2/2015 1:13:09 AM EDT
[#3]
I have two that people threw out or abandoned and showed up at my door step starving.

Link Posted: 9/2/2015 1:14:34 AM EDT
[#4]
Discussion ForumsJump to Quoted PostQuote History
Quoted:
they want to sound noble, like they saved an injured dog who got stuck down a well or something
View Quote

I could very well call my little dog a rescue dog, since he fits the bill.

Came out of a puppy mill at 4 or 5 weeks old, but if someone asks what he is, he's my dog, and his breed, is Purebred Badass.
Link Posted: 9/2/2015 1:15:47 AM EDT
[#5]
Quoted:
I have two that people threw out or abandoned and showed up at my door step starving.

http://i.imgur.com/ySkoIaY.jpg
View Quote

Good on you!

Fuck the people that threw them out.

This is an example of what a rescue is!
Link Posted: 9/2/2015 1:16:31 AM EDT
[#6]
Shelter receives dog.  Shelter takes dog to vet.  Shelter finds temporary placement for dog.  Shelter has website to find people who want dog.  Shelter has employees that verify people who want dog.  Shelter needs money to perform said activities.  Nothing is free.

$190 paid without regret.

Link Posted: 9/2/2015 1:17:23 AM EDT
[#7]
In some cases the dog may very well be saved from the needle. I consider mine a rescue; she was in a nightmare of a city pound, horribly sick and could barely move. I paid nothing for her, and when I told the lone person there "I'm taking this dog" he just said " ok cool"and had me sign a piece of paper and I walked out carrying her.

She ended up spending a few days at the vet, and probably wouldn't have made it if I didn't get her when I did.
Link Posted: 9/2/2015 1:19:57 AM EDT
[#8]
Quoted:
In some cases the dog may very well be saved from the needle. I consider mine a rescue; she was in a nightmare of a city pound, horribly sick and could barely move. I paid nothing for her, and when I told the lone person there "I'm taking this dog" he just said " ok cool"and had me sign a piece of paper and I walked out carrying her.

She ended up spending a few days at the vet, and probably wouldn't have made it if I didn't get her when I did.
View Quote

And she's an awesome doggie, too.
Link Posted: 9/2/2015 1:19:58 AM EDT
[#9]
Quoted:
View Quote

Without the organizations you're ragging on, there'd be more of this... Not sure that's the direction you want to go.

Link Posted: 9/2/2015 1:20:21 AM EDT
[#10]
Link Posted: 9/2/2015 1:20:24 AM EDT
[#11]
Quoted:
View Quote

Or would be put down if no one adopted/purchased/acquired/whatever phrase elicits the least butthurt?
Link Posted: 9/2/2015 1:20:52 AM EDT
[#12]
Quoted:

Without the organizations you're ragging on, there'd be more of this... Not sure that's the direction you want to go.

View Quote View All Quotes
View All Quotes
Quoted:
Quoted:

Who are you talking to?
Link Posted: 9/2/2015 1:21:26 AM EDT
[#13]
This thread has potential for epic butthurtness. In.
Link Posted: 9/2/2015 1:22:20 AM EDT
[#14]
Quoted:

Who are you talking to?
View All Quotes
Quoted:
Quoted:
Quoted:

Who are you talking to?

OP

Link Posted: 9/2/2015 1:24:10 AM EDT
[#15]
Quoted:

OP

View All Quotes
Quoted:
Quoted:
Quoted:
Quoted:

Who are you talking to?

OP

Ah.

In fairness, the people who threw these animals away could have lived right next door to an animal shelter and wouldn't have bothered to take them there.

Abandoned animals is a constant problem here.
Link Posted: 9/2/2015 1:25:41 AM EDT
[#16]
I have a Romanian dictator for a pet.  He's a Ceausescu dog
Link Posted: 9/2/2015 1:25:45 AM EDT
[#17]
Edit - Realized what you were getting at.

People use the word rescue because of kill shelters.

Link Posted: 9/2/2015 1:28:06 AM EDT
[#18]
Quoted:

Ah.

In fairness, the people who threw these animals away could have lived right next door to an animal shelter and wouldn't have bothered to take them there.
View All Quotes
Quoted:
Quoted:
Quoted:
Quoted:
Quoted:

Who are you talking to?

OP

Ah.

True.  But most people aren't cold hearted, they just don't take on the responsibility they signed up for -- basically how I got mine.  Rescue per se, nah, but adoption.  However, without the outlets OP is bitching about there would be far more "rescues."  

Link Posted: 9/2/2015 1:28:12 AM EDT
[#19]
Something people like to use to shame people who aquire the dog they want
Link Posted: 9/2/2015 1:31:48 AM EDT
[#20]
Quoted:
Something people like to use to shame people who aquire the dog they want
View Quote

That's also bullshit.  I was going to go to a breeder until my friend forwarded a perfect match.
Link Posted: 9/2/2015 1:33:08 AM EDT
[#21]
I consider my dog to be a rescue.  I found him on Craigslist from a single mom who couldn't afford to keep him.  Turns out he was heartworm positive as well and has some permanent damage due to it.  He's my best friend in the world and even with all of his quirks I wouldn't trade him for anything in this world.

Some might say this is dog abuse
Link Posted: 9/2/2015 1:39:35 AM EDT
[#22]
I rescued this guy when the neighbor that owned him died.
The neighbor had no relatives or anyone that wanted the dog and the police were going to take him to the pound.
Had him 3 years now, and he's a darn good friend.

Link Posted: 9/2/2015 1:43:20 AM EDT
[#23]
A rescue dog is just like your dog, or any other dog.

It's owner ("Rescuer") just feels more smug about it than you do.
Link Posted: 9/2/2015 1:45:52 AM EDT
[#24]
WHO RESCUED WHO?
Link Posted: 9/2/2015 1:59:20 AM EDT
[#25]
Tomorrow I'm going to push my dog off the boat....just to make it legit.  
Link Posted: 9/2/2015 2:02:43 AM EDT
[#26]
I know a guy who's fiancee just put a down payment on a dog. She will also be doing installments until its paid off. Boom! Rescued.

Makes me sad. A lot of people won't consider shelter dogs, I guess they're not a fashion accessory at that point.

Link Posted: 9/2/2015 2:12:20 AM EDT
[#27]
Came from a kill shelter in Alabama. Best dog I've ever had.

Link Posted: 9/2/2015 2:21:47 AM EDT
[#28]
My current dog is a rescue.  She was taken by animal control from a house with many animals, all underfed, the dogs had been fighting amongst themselves, or were goaded into fighting.  She's about the most gentle dog I've ever owned, scared of everything and just happy to lay on a bed and not be starved, bitten or beat.

Link Posted: 9/2/2015 2:23:54 AM EDT
[#29]
Quoted:
A rescue dog is just like your dog, or any other dog.

It's owner ("Rescuer") just feels more smug about it than you do.
View Quote

Those are the people I keep bumping into. Kind of like the women that "donate" their eggs but get paid $3000 for it.
Link Posted: 9/2/2015 2:24:41 AM EDT
[#30]
How many of you have volunteered or fostered for a non profit org.?  

That money goes toward medical treatments mainly. Foster homes give up a lot of time and care to save from kill shelters.
Link Posted: 9/2/2015 2:50:55 AM EDT
[#31]
my wife and I rescued a couple of puppies 7yrs ago. They were dumped off in the country and hanging around the nursery unit she was looking after and dragging the dead piglets out of the dead box. The site manager was going to shoot them the next day if they were still there so we went back that evening and was able to get both of them to come to us and we took them home. We already had two dogs of our own and didn't have room for two more that we knew were going to be big so we took them to a no kill animal shelter and they were happy to get a couple of puppies. We didn't keep them but did rescue them from a certain death.
Link Posted: 9/2/2015 3:23:53 AM EDT
[#32]
I just got my mom a "rescue" dog last month... a little female yorkie that was used for breeding at  a puppy mill... she's about 7 years old they think, and the poor thing's been through hell..  we got her from 1 of those rescue groups, and yes, i did pay for her.

the way i see it, a dog who was nothing more than a money maker to some asshole was freed from a terrible situation and now she has a good home.  she's still a little scared, but she's coming around, slowly...she's loved, fed, kept safe and warm in the house.

i didn't "rescue" her per se, but i gave her a better life than she would have had otherwise...
Link Posted: 9/2/2015 4:01:28 AM EDT
[#33]
What's the purpose of your post OP? Are you trying to make dog owners feel bad?
Link Posted: 9/2/2015 5:32:59 AM EDT
[#34]
Quoted:

Ah.

View All Quotes
Quoted:
Quoted:
Quoted:
Quoted:
Quoted:

Who are you talking to?

OP

Ah.

It cost money to bring an animal to the shelter here so the animals get a ride out of town to "live free in the wild".
Link Posted: 9/2/2015 5:40:09 AM EDT
[#35]
Quoted:
What's the purpose of your post OP? Are you trying to make dog owners feel bad?
View Quote

Probably.
Link Posted: 9/2/2015 5:47:31 AM EDT
[#36]
If people get to feel smug by saying they rescued a dog instead of adopting it, who gives a shit? It's more motivation for people to adopt rather than supporting puppy mills.  If you don't work your dog, there is absolutely zero reason to buy your dog from a breeder.
Link Posted: 9/2/2015 5:48:11 AM EDT
[#37]
I have a dog and two cats, not because I needed a dog and two cats, but because a dog and two cats needed a home.  I'll deal with the shame as best I can, OP.
Link Posted: 9/2/2015 5:52:05 AM EDT
[#38]
It's amazing to me to see how many "rescue" dogs people have, that are really "adoptions" from the shelter.
View Quote

Adopted dog: Rescued.
Non-adopted dog: Euthanized.

seems simple enuf.
Link Posted: 9/2/2015 6:10:09 AM EDT
[#39]
Go here: Collie Rescue of the Carolinas, read these dogs stories. Yes, I paid a fee to "rescue" my two older collies. This organization survives and continues to "save" these dogs by fees and donations. Granted, if I didn't take these dogs, someone else would have. That said, there is probably a limit to the number of dogs Jean could take at any one time, I'm sure she would try to stretch it as much as she could, but there is a limit at some point.

Edit - T

Instead, I will just say, OP, bless your heart and thank you for posting!

Link Posted: 9/2/2015 6:24:34 AM EDT
[#40]
This must bother you a lot.
Link Posted: 9/2/2015 6:27:34 AM EDT
[#41]

Quoted:

How many of you have volunteered or fostered for a non profit org.?  

That money goes toward medical treatments mainly. Foster homes give up a lot of time and care to save from kill shelters.
View Quote

I volunteer with two groups. The vet costs alone would kill the shelters without adoption fees and donations.

There is much stupidity in this thread, countered by a bunch of good people.

3 of our 5 are rescues. Don't like that term, you can go step in poop.
Link Posted: 9/2/2015 6:30:02 AM EDT
[#42]
Quoted:
Go here: Collie Rescue of the Carolinas, read these dogs stories. Yes, I paid a fee to "rescue" my two older collies. This organization survives and continues to "save" these dogs by fees and donations. Granted, if I didn't take these dogs, someone else would have. That said, there is probably a limit to the number of dogs Jean could take at any one time, I'm sure she would try to stretch it as much as she could, but there is a limit at some point.

edit - T

Instead, I will just say, OP, bless your heart and thank you for posting!

<a href="http://s36.photobucket.com/user/OMCHamlin/media/IMG_0374_zps88a63a53.jpg.html" target="_blank">http://i36.photobucket.com/albums/e23/OMCHamlin/IMG_0374_zps88a63a53.jpg</a>
View Quote

edit - TI'm totally sure there were lines of people waiting to adopt the 12yo toothless chihuahua with luxating patellas from the city pound. My wife and I RESCUED this little guy earlier this year. Love him to death.

Link Posted: 9/2/2015 6:31:34 AM EDT
[#43]
Quoted:

View All Quotes
Quoted:
Quoted:

This.

I consider my "pound" hound mix a rescue.  I also have a Border Collie we found starving to death on the side of the road.

While she was certainly in more dire straights than our hound, any animal saved from being euthanized or a life spent inside a cage at a no kill shelter is a rescue.
Link Posted: 9/2/2015 6:32:27 AM EDT
[#44]
Quoted:
Shelter receives dog.  Shelter takes dog to vet.  Shelter finds temporary placement for dog.  Shelter has website to find people who want dog.  Shelter has employees that verify people who want dog.  Shelter needs money to perform said activities.  Nothing is free.

$190 paid without regret.

http://i173.photobucket.com/albums/w41/n00g77/Loki_zps7eo3fgni.jpg

View Quote

This.  Depending on which shelter you adopt from, the money is usually for what they already spent on the dog, or operating costs.  Many of these shelters run only on donations or out of their own pockets.

Even an animal adopted from animal control or the local government-run shelter isn't free.  There's always some fee involved, unless they're seriously trying to offload the animal.  Not to mention some shelters charge an additional deposit that you only get back if you have the animal spayed/neutered within the month.
Link Posted: 9/2/2015 6:33:06 AM EDT
[#45]
Went up to the SPCA once and as I was leaving I was rescued by someone dropping off a 1-1/2 YO Sheltie. He pulled me out of the gutter after I had lost my last Sheltie.
Link Posted: 9/2/2015 6:34:56 AM EDT
[#46]
Rescue dogs are just dogs with baggage
Link Posted: 9/2/2015 6:35:41 AM EDT
[#47]
Quoted:
Edit - Realized what you were getting at.

People use the word rescue because of kill shelters.
View Quote

Bingo. If they dog is going to die without the intervention of the adopter, it is a rescue. As in rescuing them from impending death.
Link Posted: 9/2/2015 6:42:26 AM EDT
[#48]
I wanna know what a therapy dog* is, or whatever the technical name is.

My colleague has "anxiety," so needs a dog to help cope. She is 25, has a great job, lives in a safe place, no ex is out to kill her, etc. What happens when life actually does throw a curveball (like no food in the stores)? What will people like her do?

*Not to disparage vets and the like who could actually use a therapy dog
Link Posted: 9/2/2015 6:43:23 AM EDT
[#49]
Quoted:

View Quote

Our dog was lucky.  She was found as a puppy by a woman who volunteered for a no-kill shelter, so she spent a long time healthy and well treated before we adopted her.  However some of the other dogs the shelter took in were true rescues - dogs that were about to be killed, or dogs people thought were going to die soon.  The shelter would care for them - or foster them to caring people - until the dogs were healthy (physically & mentally) enough to be adopted.  

I still remember one French poodle... when they took him in, everyone thought he was going to be dead soon.  However with just a couple of months of proper nutrition and loving care, he was a normal dog.  The woman who was fostering him ended up adopting him as well.

This is also another reason why we didn't mind the "adoption fee" - because it helped keep the shelter open to save other dogs.
Link Posted: 9/2/2015 6:45:34 AM EDT
[#50]

Quoted:

I know a guy who's fiancee just put a down payment on a dog. She will also be doing installments until its paid off. Boom! Rescued.

Makes me sad. A lot of people won't consider shelter dogs, I guess they're not a fashion accessory at that point.

View Quote

Local humane society here charges more per breed age etc.

2 month old pit/lab/cur mix   75$

2 month old GSD 280$

Reason i wont look there much....plus to adopt they put you through some screening shit..piss blood samples and shoe size.

70$

At a ""rescue ""- shelter got me the best dog ive had.

She was missing 3/4s of her hair and was only 30lbs...

Shes a aussie shep /border collie mix.(per her breeder papers ...) 43lbs now...her coat is full and she has been the best addition to the family...
Arrow Left Previous Page
Page / 3
Close Join Our Mail List to Stay Up To Date! Win a FREE Membership!

Sign up for the ARFCOM weekly newsletter and be entered to win a free ARFCOM membership. One new winner* is announced every week!

You will receive an email every Friday morning featuring the latest chatter from the hottest topics, breaking news surrounding legislation, as well as exclusive deals only available to ARFCOM email subscribers.

By signing up you agree to our User Agreement. *Must have a registered ARFCOM account to win.
Top Top