Are you sure you wish to do this?

Confirm Cancel
BCM
User Panel

Site Notices
Arrow Left Previous Page
Page / 2
Posted: 8/30/2015 3:34:01 PM EDT
First home. My offer price was accepted (Damn near full asking) but some terms were changed. Basically, in the offer we asked the seller to leave some things in the home like a water feature outside, an awesome table they used for staging, few other minor touches like appliances that were already on the original ad, etc.

Seller countered today and basically only agreed to price and added some things he wants to keep. One thing is a petty little outdoor light fixture and the one that concerns me most is his insistence upon taking the water softener system.

I have a few reasons why I don't want him fucking with the water softener but the main reason is that if he takes it, it needs to be gone asap so I can have a home inspection done (and see if he fucks it up).  I suspect he won't have it removed professionally and it won't be done in a timely manner which will delay closing.

What say GD?

1. Counter again with higher price?

2.  Counter with same price but keep the softener installed?

No poll, too many possible options.

TLDR: seller wants to keep water softener system which could cause OP $$K in the future if it's removed improperly.
Link Posted: 8/30/2015 3:37:46 PM EDT
[#1]
I would walk and tell him to keep it all.

Link Posted: 8/30/2015 3:38:04 PM EDT
[#2]
Tell him to foad
Link Posted: 8/30/2015 3:38:57 PM EDT
[#3]
Discussion ForumsJump to Quoted PostQuote History
Quoted:
Tell him to foad
View Quote

Yep pass.
Link Posted: 8/30/2015 3:40:10 PM EDT
[#4]
Quoted:

View Quote

Link Posted: 8/30/2015 3:40:37 PM EDT
[#5]
Quoted:
First home. My offer price was accepted (Damn near full asking) but some terms were changed. Basically, in the offer we asked the seller to leave some things in the home like a water feature outside, an awesome table they used for staging, few other minor touches like appliances that were already on the original ad, etc.

Seller countered today and basically only agreed to price and added some things he wants to keep. One thing is a petty little outdoor light fixture and the one that concerns me most is his insistence upon taking the water softener system.

I have a few reasons why I don't want him fucking with the water softener but the main reason is that if he takes it, it needs to be gone asap so I can have a home inspection done (and see if he fucks it up).  I suspect he won't have it removed professionally and it won't be done in a timely manner which will delay closing.

What say GD?

1. Counter again with higher price?

2.  Counter with same price but keep the softener installed?

No poll, too many possible options.

TLDR: seller wants to keep water softener system which could cause OP $$K in the future if it's removed improperly.
View Quote

Counter same price but leaving softener.  That's an idiotic thing to try and take.
Link Posted: 8/30/2015 3:40:41 PM EDT
[#6]
Tell him to leave it or deals off.
Link Posted: 8/30/2015 3:41:10 PM EDT
[#7]
Lower the price to reflect what he wants to keep. The water softener should be viewed as part of the house, since it is part of the water system. Way beyond an appliance.

Or, keep the same price and ask for a credit for XX amount to install a new water softener system. This may be much easier than lowering the amount and coming out of pocket.
Link Posted: 8/30/2015 3:43:27 PM EDT
[#8]
Quoted:

View Quote

Link Posted: 8/30/2015 3:44:56 PM EDT
[#9]
Don't be all dramatic like the first few posters. Price a water softener system and agree to let him take it for your offer price minus the cost of replacing the system.

Or adjust your offer up the cost of a water softener system and insist they leave it.

Or just let them take it and be glad that you don't have to mess with a water softener. If they mess up the removal, you'll be able to go after them.

Or just walk. It's a buyer's market right now, right? (Wrong)
Link Posted: 8/30/2015 3:46:57 PM EDT
[#10]

Agree to his terms but lower your offer by $5000.

Link Posted: 8/30/2015 3:47:07 PM EDT
[#11]
Taking the water softener?????????? Kinda like asking to take the water heater, the fucking thing is plumbed in.

Although I have heard of a few million dollar deal fall through because the seller refused to leave a porch statue (couple of a hundred bucks at the most).  Yes my city is very expensive.

Roy
Link Posted: 8/30/2015 3:47:16 PM EDT
[#12]
How much does a new water softener system cost?
Figure out how much its gonna cost to replace the stuff the seller just has to keep, knock down your offer accordingly.

This little stuff at the last minute is the seller's way of peeing on you to establish dominance.

Is this your dream house in a perfect location? If not walk away from their insult. If it is, suck it up and do the deal...it will be a distant memory in the following years you enjoy the new home.
Link Posted: 8/30/2015 3:55:15 PM EDT
[#13]
Quoted:

View Quote

Me too.  

Link Posted: 8/30/2015 3:57:18 PM EDT
[#14]
Quoted:

View Quote

Link Posted: 8/30/2015 3:59:05 PM EDT
[#15]
Is the water softener rented or owned? If rented, then he's not "taking" it.
Link Posted: 8/30/2015 4:00:35 PM EDT
[#16]
Quoted:
Tell him to foad
View Quote

Yep, take the offer as is or find another buyer. When you sell a house, pretty much anything semi-permanent is part of it. Appliances are *generally* included but you want to make sure that's annotated in your written, exceptions are generally the washer and dryer. I wouldn't fight the washer/dryer personally unless they're newish and higher end stuff as you'd be better off buying a new set from Lowes/HD/Sears/etc.

I'd get a ballpark quote for putting in the water feature and the other items you want in the sale and take that amount off your offer but unless this is a house you really, really want I'd just say no thanks and move on. There are plenty of houses out there, besides give the owner a few days thinking he blew the sell over petty things and he'll call you and/or realtor begging you to buy based on your previous offer.

Link Posted: 8/30/2015 4:04:42 PM EDT
[#17]
What kind of softener is it? [brand] If it's something like a Kinetico they can be thousands of dollars, if it's something from Sears, it may be $400. Most softeners have a bypass and even a moran can remove it in about 5 minutes without any issues.
Link Posted: 8/30/2015 4:04:56 PM EDT
[#18]
I suppose next he'll want to take the garbage disposal and cabinet hinges with him.

No brainer, tell him to fuck off.
Link Posted: 8/30/2015 4:06:13 PM EDT
[#19]
If the seller knows you're a first-timer, they may be trying to take advantage and pull stupid shit like ripping out the water softener as a thinly-veiled attempt to squeeze more money out of you.  If you think your offer is fair, tell the seller that and be prepared to move on.  If the seller thinks he has a line of people waiting to buy, great.  Don't forget to cut $5k off your offer when he calls you back after wading through 6 other worthless, unqualified buyers who waste his time, make offers and then fail to close due to mortgage rejection the day before closing...
Link Posted: 8/30/2015 4:12:15 PM EDT
[#20]
Quoted:

View Quote View All Quotes
View All Quotes
Quoted:
Quoted:

I am pretty much in this camp

Link Posted: 8/30/2015 4:18:27 PM EDT
[#21]
Walk
Link Posted: 8/30/2015 4:28:04 PM EDT
[#22]
Your first inscincts are probably right. Bail or play hardball.
Link Posted: 8/30/2015 4:34:43 PM EDT
[#23]
your offer was in writing. and all the things you mentioned were in the offer? If accepted it that way? Then  its yours not his.

as a general rule if its attached to the house permanently (like a softener.) It goes with the home.

I'd walk. and handle him through you Realtor. The deal is not done until closing. So have him work with him.

make not of these item and insist on a pre closing inspection. If they are not there as agreed and understood. Walk from the deal.
Link Posted: 8/30/2015 4:52:30 PM EDT
[#24]
Fixed and attached. If it's fixed and attached but the seller wants to take it that should be made clear during viewing. Seller is basically doing a mild bait and switch.

Get details on the water system. If it's a basic one then just lower offer price by total cost plus 25%. If it's a high end system then do the same but replace it with a basic one.

For the light fixture state that the seller is required to replace with one of similar design and quality and is to be installed by a licensed electrician. If the seller really wants it they'll pay for it, that's the stupid tax for laziness and not already dealing with the light before listing.
Link Posted: 8/30/2015 5:44:01 PM EDT
[#25]
Just got back from the realtor's office. Basically, we left the price alone and said keep the softener installed and highlighted the part of the contract that emphasizes anything attached to the structure (like water softeners) are to stay with the house. We allowed him to take his goofy light fixture.

Any more counters and we walk.
Link Posted: 8/30/2015 5:47:01 PM EDT
[#26]
Quoted:
View Quote

It's owned and welded/soldered in to the plumping near the water heater.
Link Posted: 8/30/2015 5:48:59 PM EDT
[#27]
Quoted:
If the seller knows you're a first-timer, they may be trying to take advantage and pull stupid shit like ripping out the water softener as a thinly-veiled attempt to squeeze more money out of you.  If you think your offer is fair, tell the seller that and be prepared to move on.  If the seller thinks he has a line of people waiting to buy, great.  Don't forget to cut $5k off your offer when he calls you back after wading through 6 other worthless, unqualified buyers who waste his time, make offers and then fail to close due to mortgage rejection the day before closing...
View Quote

It's been on the market over 30 days. In this area, that's a decent amount of time. This is my 3rd offer on a home (not counting the counter-offer I just made) and the first 2 never reached a point of counter offer. We just lost out in a bid war.
Link Posted: 8/30/2015 5:49:06 PM EDT
[#28]
Quoted:
View Quote

Yep...walk.  Way to many houses on the Market...can't believe you are paying asking price...or close to it.
Link Posted: 8/30/2015 5:49:08 PM EDT
[#29]
Quoted:

View Quote

this..

if you really want the house tell him to keep all that other stuff but leave the water softener..

people are so retarded. seems like a lot of work to remove and reinstall a water softener system somewhere else.
Link Posted: 8/30/2015 5:50:30 PM EDT
[#30]
Quoted:

Yep, take the offer as is or find another buyer. When you sell a house, pretty much anything semi-permanent is part of it. Appliances are *generally* included but you want to make sure that's annotated in your written, exceptions are generally the washer and dryer. I wouldn't fight the washer/dryer personally unless they're newish and higher end stuff as you'd be better off buying a new set from Lowes/HD/Sears/etc.

I'd get a ballpark quote for putting in the water feature and the other items you want in the sale and take that amount off your offer but unless this is a house you really, really want I'd just say no thanks and move on. There are plenty of houses out there, besides give the owner a few days thinking he blew the sell over petty things and he'll call you and/or realtor begging you to buy based on your previous offer.

View All Quotes
Quoted:
Quoted:
Tell him to foad

You're absolutely right and our original contract as well as the original listing said that exactly. It's also Texas law apparently (so says my Realtor) and any deviation has to be agreed upon or specifically listed in the contract.
Link Posted: 8/30/2015 5:54:06 PM EDT
[#31]
Quoted:
View Quote

Then the current owner should have documentation of said rental, and work with the buyer to either transfer the lease to the new owner, or to have it removed.
Link Posted: 8/30/2015 5:54:35 PM EDT
[#32]
Ya that is BS taking the water softener.  I would walk away especially if your gut is telling you something ain't right.  The reason you feel that is because it ain't right.
Link Posted: 8/30/2015 5:59:01 PM EDT
[#33]
Quoted:

View Quote

Link Posted: 8/30/2015 5:59:35 PM EDT
[#34]
Walk
Link Posted: 8/30/2015 6:00:35 PM EDT
[#35]
Quoted:

Yep...walk.  Way to many houses on the Market...can't believe you are paying asking price...or close to it.
View All Quotes
Quoted:
Quoted:

That's the market around here right now with homes in the VERY FEW good school districts in this area. I suppose we could wait until the winter when it all slows down but I'm trying to close this tax year.

The first 2 offers went something like this:

1.) House listed was 2br/2.5bth 2100 sqft townhouse for $169,500.   We offered 152K (which was aligned better with area comps) and seller pays everything (expecting a counter offer). Instead, we were asked to comeback with a best and final due to other offers. We offered 158K (because it's a still a 2br townhouse), seller pays everything.  LOST

2.) House listed was 3br, 2 bath 1900 sqft Single-family built in 1981 for 139,000.  We offered 143,000 with 4K to closing cost.  LOST, no counter, no nothing, we just lost.

3.) This house. Essentially the same offer as #2 on a different house.

I'm prepared to walk. I think we can negotiate this water softener thing. Like I said in another post. Any more counter-offers from this guy and we walk.
Link Posted: 8/30/2015 6:01:31 PM EDT
[#36]
Quoted:

this..

if you really want the house tell him to keep all that other stuff but leave the water softener..

people are so retarded. seems like a lot of work to remove and reinstall a water softener system somewhere else.
View All Quotes
Quoted:
Quoted:

this..

I do really like the house and I'm giving him another shot to play ball.  I'm 100% with you on that bold part.
Link Posted: 8/30/2015 6:05:12 PM EDT
[#37]
If he wanted to keep all that shit he should have removed it before he put it up for sale.
The last house I sold I did this and had no problems, anything I was going to leave (fridge) was put in the listing.
Home sold in five weeks at near asking price.
Link Posted: 8/30/2015 6:06:34 PM EDT
[#38]
So he countered with wanting to take something attached? That's part of the negotiation. That's why he asked for it, he knew he couldn't just take it. He is allowed to ask for whatever he wants.
Link Posted: 8/30/2015 6:06:47 PM EDT
[#39]
If you like the house and it's a good deal, dont ruin it over something trivial like a water softner. He would have to be a major retard to damage something taking it out, it's beyond simple to remove/install a water softner.
Link Posted: 8/30/2015 6:09:57 PM EDT
[#40]
Walk.
Link Posted: 8/30/2015 6:16:24 PM EDT
[#41]
Quoted:
So he countered with wanting to take something attached? That's part of the negotiation. That's why he asked for it, he knew he couldn't just take it. He is allowed to ask for whatever he wants.
View Quote

The softner is advertised as part of the house just like the water heater and kitchen sink. We made our offer based on what was going to be staying with the house and based on what the listing says is part of the house. It was even on the disclosure as part of the house and staying with the house.   It wasn't until our offer did he say he wanted to keep it.

Another poster said it earlier, it's like a bait and switch. He had a chance to counter a lower price minus the softner but didn't.
Link Posted: 8/30/2015 6:16:54 PM EDT
[#42]
I would pass, he has added keeping an installed system that most buyers would assume is part of the deal.

Walk and see how fast his agent gets back to you.

ETA we've had two deals go south lately.  Glad they did now.  We have a better place in our sights....
Link Posted: 8/30/2015 6:21:24 PM EDT
[#43]
Quoted:
I would pass, he has added keeping an installed system that most buyers would assume is part of the deal.

Walk and see how fast his agent gets back to you.

ETA we've had two deals go south lately.  Glad they did now.  We have a better place in our sights....
View Quote

Link Posted: 8/30/2015 6:22:44 PM EDT
[#44]
Quoted:

The softner is advertised as part of the house just like the water heater and kitchen sink. We made our offer based on what was going to be staying with the house and based on what the listing says is part of the house. It was even on the disclosure as part of the house and staying with the house.   It wasn't until our offer did he say he wanted to keep it.

Another poster said it earlier, it's like a bait and switch. He had a chance to counter a lower price minus the softner but didn't.
View All Quotes
Quoted:
Quoted:

Then just tell him to fuck off and walk.  There are plenty more houses out there.
Link Posted: 8/30/2015 6:25:47 PM EDT
[#45]
Walk.

He will likely remove all the copper before he leaves too.
Link Posted: 8/30/2015 6:28:29 PM EDT
[#46]
Don't get too worked up over this.  That's why it's called negotiation.  Either counter with a lower offer to make up for the cost of a new system or raise your offer slightly to keep the system.  If you really like the house then just deal with the issues as it comes up.  If you can't come to terms, then just walk.
Link Posted: 8/30/2015 6:32:56 PM EDT
[#47]
Quoted:

View All Quotes
Quoted:
Quoted:

If you offered full asking price with no concessions and then he countered with that stuff it'd be bait and switch. You offered less than he was asking. He countered with less house for that price.
Link Posted: 8/30/2015 6:38:36 PM EDT
[#48]
First question. Is it on a slab? If not, I STRONGLY advise you to put on some old cloths and go underneath it. Don't be a puss hole about it either, get in the tight spots, look for mold, wet ground, bush's near the foundation (roots destroy), and rot. I used to do floor leveling and repair. I have seen plenty of houses that LOOK fine, until you are under them. Repairs can get costly in a big hurry unless you are doing them yourself. And neglecting to do them just means they will cost a lot more down the road.

Once thats done, then i'd worry about price.
Link Posted: 8/30/2015 6:45:56 PM EDT
[#49]
For all you know that water softener could be on its last leg, counter with what a new one would cost, and walk if you don't like it.
Link Posted: 8/30/2015 6:49:20 PM EDT
[#50]
Quoted:

I do really like the house and I'm giving him another shot to play ball.  I'm 100% with you on that bold part.
View All Quotes
Quoted:
Quoted:
Quoted:

this..

You better specific how the pipes must be left at least.  He might cut it at the wall, making a pain to re-plumb.  I'd toss a clause in there that all utility connections for home appliances and systems must be in easily connectable condition or the seller pays to get them that way.
Arrow Left Previous Page
Page / 2
Close Join Our Mail List to Stay Up To Date! Win a FREE Membership!

Sign up for the ARFCOM weekly newsletter and be entered to win a free ARFCOM membership. One new winner* is announced every week!

You will receive an email every Friday morning featuring the latest chatter from the hottest topics, breaking news surrounding legislation, as well as exclusive deals only available to ARFCOM email subscribers.

By signing up you agree to our User Agreement. *Must have a registered ARFCOM account to win.
Top Top