Are you sure you wish to do this?

Confirm Cancel
BCM
User Panel

Site Notices
Arrow Left Previous Page
Page / 5
Posted: 8/2/2015 2:07:58 PM EDT
We have watched a bunch of these tiny house shows and honestly we just don't get it. $35K-$70K for a tiny house with a loft bedroom so small you couldn't even screw in? Give me a break. Why wouldn't you just buy a nice little 5th Wheel trailer like this http://www.rvwholesalers.com/new-rvs/142446407149074/New-2016-Heartland-RV-Elkridge-Express-E289-Fifth-Wheel-RV-For-Sale/ For $25K. Spend another $10K building a tin roofed pole barn to place it under and build a nice covered porch on the side.

Are we nuts?

Edit. I see the MSRP of $39K on the link I posted but if you go to their homepage and scroll down there is this unit and a few other Elkridge floorplans for around $25K.http://www.rvwholesalers.com/?gclid=CIm30f74iscCFVE7gQodwmcHKw
Link Posted: 8/2/2015 2:11:46 PM EDT
[#1]
They are very stupid.  That won't stop the hipsters from buying/building them.  I have a tent that has  as much floorspace as most of them, seriously.  

They are a fad that will fade into obscurity in just a few years.  An RV makes much more sense, but it isn't nearly as "cool".
Link Posted: 8/2/2015 2:12:21 PM EDT
[#2]
I never understood the tiny house thing. It looks like a bad investment and a bad idea all the way around.
Link Posted: 8/2/2015 2:13:29 PM EDT
[#3]
I could handle a tiny house, but I would need a huge garage or out building of some type for my toys.  
Link Posted: 8/2/2015 2:13:31 PM EDT
[#4]
We have a member who builds them for a living.
Link Posted: 8/2/2015 2:13:36 PM EDT
[#5]
Because most sheeple want to buy stuff and loose wealth than build something and create wealth.

People are stupid with money are impatient and are trying to impress others.

Link Posted: 8/2/2015 2:13:48 PM EDT
[#6]
They'll go out of style once the psychotic cat ladies realize their tiny house will only fit a baker's dozen.
Link Posted: 8/2/2015 2:14:48 PM EDT
[#7]
I've seen the show a few times. These people must sit in their singular chair and stare at the walls all day. No room for any hobby stuff or storage is limited to something the size of a cardboard box.

Just build a nice 500 sqft cabin and have 100 times better living quality.
Link Posted: 8/2/2015 2:16:12 PM EDT
[#8]
Depends on the build.  Rvs are not insulated as well as a tiny home of equivalent price can be.  Plus there's value in the looks of one over a mass produced just like every other camper.
Link Posted: 8/2/2015 2:18:32 PM EDT
[#9]
I get the idea behind them, but the ones on TV at least seem more interested in proving just how small they can go instead of picking what will actually work best for them.

I have no interest in buying or building one.  I like em big.  

Link Posted: 8/2/2015 2:19:00 PM EDT
[#10]
Freedom to give up all your flaming worldly possessions.
Link Posted: 8/2/2015 2:21:30 PM EDT
[#11]
The über tiny houses that don't come with land?

Yeah, no thanks.

About 1000sq. ft. is about perfect for my uses.  Anything more and I'm paying to heat/cool something that I am not using.  

I'd rather have 3x more garage space than house space, but that's just me.  Oh, and 1+ ac plot at a minimum.

Quoted:
View Quote

At some point, possessions end up making you their possession.
Link Posted: 8/2/2015 2:23:42 PM EDT
[#12]
They are no fad, will be seeing them more and more as time goes on.

The only problem I have with them is they are extremely expensive for the small amount of space you get.  Most are very well-made though

Link Posted: 8/2/2015 2:24:07 PM EDT
[#13]
Agenda 21.

Some people are so eager to get on the train to the "ecological sustainment camp" that they're already building their own.
Link Posted: 8/2/2015 2:24:47 PM EDT
[#14]
I want to buy some land and put a tiny house on it for a nice get away spot.

I could build a big house for 70k though.
Link Posted: 8/2/2015 2:25:05 PM EDT
[#15]
Discussion ForumsJump to Quoted PostQuote History
Quoted:

Yeah, no thanks.

About 1000sq. ft. is about perfect for my uses.  Anything more and I'm paying to heat/cool something that I am not using.  

I'd rather have 3x more garage space than house space, but that's just me.  Oh, and 1+ ac plot at a minimum.

View Quote View All Quotes
View All Quotes
Quoted:

Yeah, no thanks.

Quoted:

My house comes in at just under 1000 sq ft, which generally works good for me.
I'd prefer to have a full basement and a larger kitchen with more room for an actual dining area
A back deck would be nice and is do-able if I get around to it before I retire and move away
If I didn't have the garage for storage space  and a stand alone building for my FFL stuff I'd be screwed.
Link Posted: 8/2/2015 2:26:37 PM EDT
[#16]
Quoted:

Yeah, no thanks.

View All Quotes
Quoted:

Yeah, no thanks.

Quoted:

Absolutely.  Most every TV show tiny house aficionado seems to be some hipster douche who leases a prius and has no hobbies that don't involve talking about your tiny house.  Want to have parties? Fuck, that you aren't entertaining in that little hovel.  Want to cook a big thanksgiving dinner?  Better make a reservation somewhere.  

I guess if you are city dweller who doesn't mind a tiny apartment then they feel like "home", but if you're used to an actual house and have actual mementos and keepsakes, hobbies, etc. they aren't going to work.  I'd take one over being homeless, but $30K+ will buy a real fucking house in many parts of the central US.
Link Posted: 8/2/2015 2:27:39 PM EDT
[#17]
Link Posted: 8/2/2015 2:28:21 PM EDT
[#18]
It's all about the image the silly hipsters are trying to project.  "I'm taking up little room on this planet, you are not"

Reason and practicality have little to too with it.  
Link Posted: 8/2/2015 2:28:55 PM EDT
[#19]
Meh, they're funky and that appeals to a lotta folks.  It's like a little doll house thing, I guess.  Or maybe minimalist.  I dunno, doesn't really float my boat.

I want the off road, Armageddon war wagon.
Link Posted: 8/2/2015 2:30:24 PM EDT
[#20]
Agenda 21 in action.
Link Posted: 8/2/2015 2:32:17 PM EDT
[#21]
I have to admit, I don't understand it either.  When people first started talking about "tiny houses" I thought it was building something that was very efficient and inexpensive.  Not a custom travel trailer.

On the show "Tiny House Nation" they're building extremely expensive (for you get) travel trailers.  For the price they're paying you could get a pretty nice 5th wheel, or RV.   So I don't get it.  

I like the idea of a cool, financially efficient, AND comfortable small home.   But Tiny Trailers isn't my thing.
Link Posted: 8/2/2015 2:32:21 PM EDT
[#22]
And they all spend 80 hours a week at work anyway, they are barely home.  Economy of space will equal divorce...  
Link Posted: 8/2/2015 2:37:07 PM EDT
[#23]
Quoted:
I have to admit, I don't understand it either.  When people first started talking about "tiny houses" I thought it was building something that was very efficient and inexpensive.  Not a custom travel trailer.

On the show "Tiny House Nation" they're building extremely expensive (for you get) travel trailers.  For the price they're paying you could get a pretty nice 5th wheel, or RV.   So I don't get it.  

I like the idea of a cool, financially efficient, AND comfortable small home.   But Tiny Trailers isn't my thing.
View Quote

Container housing!
Link Posted: 8/2/2015 2:37:12 PM EDT
[#24]
It's been done before.
Link Posted: 8/2/2015 2:43:18 PM EDT
[#25]

Quoted:

Depends on the build.  Rvs are not insulated as well as a tiny home of equivalent price can be.  Plus there's value in the looks of one over a mass produced just like every other camper.
View Quote
Yep.  Some outdoor folks like skiers/climbers move around a lot during the year and want a nice place to crash.  TH's can be very well crafted for the money.  

Link Posted: 8/2/2015 2:43:52 PM EDT
[#26]
When I go camping I take a 16'x20' tent, my toy box camper is 8'6"x 35', house is 2500+ sq ft

I don't live in rural AMERICA so I can be jammed in some tiny hole, that's for prisoners.

BUT, I'm more than happy if somebody else wants to live that way . .  .

. . . more space or me  
Link Posted: 8/2/2015 2:45:06 PM EDT
[#27]
Quoted:
They are no fad, will be seeing them more and more as time goes on.

The only problem I have with them is they are extremely expensive for the small amount of space you get.  Most are very well-made though

View Quote

Just because this stupid fad hasn't peaked yet doesn't mean it's not a stupid fad.  The longer people live in them the more they will fucking hate them.  Good luck selling them on the used market.  You know what's nice?  A washer and dryer.  Especially when you live in the "country".
Link Posted: 8/2/2015 2:47:43 PM EDT
[#28]
They're popular up here. I see them on the news getting stolen quite often too.
Link Posted: 8/2/2015 2:47:47 PM EDT
[#29]
Tiny houses have their place.    I've looked at them for a while.  They would make a nice guest house, or even a primary home if you had extra storage and not have 4 kids.  

35-70K is a very high price, but you gotta look at the options?   I've seen very simple ones that folks build for very cheap, up to super fancy ones that are already built and have lots of options.

I'm sure there are low quality tiny houses just as there are low quality campers.   There are plenty of cheap used campers out there, but I have always imagined tiny houses are being a bit more permanent, built to the quality of a real home, with real appliances (although smaller) like a real sized toilet, shower head, etc.

Link Posted: 8/2/2015 2:48:05 PM EDT
[#30]
I can get the dirt cheap tiny house thing.  Especially if you have land already, or have someone who will let you put it out on the corner of their land for cheap.  The whole living rent or mortgage free is a good thing.

But some of these little things are like $80k, without a place to put them.  In my area, I can buy a decent 1-2 bedroom condo for right at 100k. Why live in a glorified shed when it will barely cost more to get something with some actual space?
Link Posted: 8/2/2015 2:49:08 PM EDT
[#31]
Most of them that I see on TV or in the news are on wheels - which makes me wonder if it is some sort of property-tax scam, and some of the allure is not paying property taxes other than on the undeveloped land.
They get stolen a ton, too - just google "tiny house stolen" and there are a ton of links.  There was one stolen near here as the owner didn't know there was such a thing as a hitch lock.
Link Posted: 8/2/2015 2:50:50 PM EDT
[#32]

Quoted:

Yeah, no thanks.

View All Quotes
Quoted:

Yeah, no thanks.

Quoted:

That might work if you literally pay out of pocket for every little thing in the world which is more wasteful than having a normal 2,000 sqft house and a garage.

Constantly have to pay for restaurant dinners because you can't entertain at home.

Make people stay in hotels because you can't have guests.

Keeping a handy man on speed dial because you need two screws and a drill, which you don't have space for.

Find a mechanic that won't rape you if you have car problems.

Expensive vacations because you have no room for any hobbies.

Never have sex with some one else over because there's no walls in 90% of these tiny houses.

That doesn't sound like freedom to me. Sounds like constantly paying out money to "stay free".
Link Posted: 8/2/2015 2:52:16 PM EDT
[#33]
I didn't work hard my entire life just to live in a "house" the size of a prison cell.

Then again, I'm old, and certainly not "hip" in any way, shape, or form.

Link Posted: 8/2/2015 2:55:28 PM EDT
[#34]

Quoted:

Most of them that I see on TV or in the news are on wheels - which makes me wonder if it is some sort of property-tax scam, and some of the allure is not paying property taxes other than on the undeveloped land.

They get stolen a ton, too - just google "tiny house stolen" and there are a ton of links.  There was one stolen near here as the owner didn't know there was such a thing as a hitch lock.
View Quote
From what I've been told the wheels are to get around zoning laws in many locations.

Link Posted: 8/2/2015 2:57:33 PM EDT
[#35]
I know a guy that was looking at them and was shocked at the prices, he ended up getting a rv trailer  and stripped it down and insulated it better and made it more efficient and how he wanted it.

He set it in the middle of his property and had the Amish build a barn for his toys and washer/dryer along with a loft as a guest room.

He did the trailer for cheaper then a tiny house and ended up with more room as well.
Link Posted: 8/2/2015 3:09:28 PM EDT
[#36]
Quoted:

View Quote

So true.
Link Posted: 8/2/2015 3:09:32 PM EDT
[#37]
Quoted:
View Quote

This. RVs are not built to live in full time. It will ruin most of them. Tiny houses are built to live in. Its a matter of quality. We spray foam insulate ours.

Aviator
Link Posted: 8/2/2015 3:11:04 PM EDT
[#38]
I don't understand how people become hipsters. At what age does it happen? Surely nobody is a hipster at 7 or 12. How old do you have be before you decide to become a complete douche like that?
Link Posted: 8/2/2015 3:15:38 PM EDT
[#39]
Link Posted: 8/2/2015 3:16:09 PM EDT
[#40]
Posted about this before. I had a friend try it. Spent nowhere near that amount, though.

Cute place. Had everything a single man could need.

HOWEVER............
He reported that it became a pain in the ass whenever he needed to get something done and didn't have his tools on site. He ended up renting a storage unit in town for his tools, canoes,kayak, bicycle, etc.
After about two years, he got tired of jumping in his car to visit his other belongings he had to keep offsite.

Put a little addition on (it's about 800 sq ft now) and a two car garage along side. now it works and he's still pretty efficient.
Link Posted: 8/2/2015 3:22:30 PM EDT
[#41]
Quoted:
A small home is real estate. An RV isn't.

Different loans and rates. I figure they're popular with very poor hipsters who don't know a V-8 full sized truck that can tow an RV trailer or can't manage the credit to buy one and an RV. A nice used park trailer is $35K to $60K used around here.

So why not a single or double wide trailer?
View Quote

Park model is better. It still classes as an RV so it taxes differently. We looked at them. $50k gets you into a nice one.

http://www.parkmodelsdirect.com/LE/index.asp
Link Posted: 8/2/2015 3:23:54 PM EDT
[#42]
The differences between a RV/Travel Trailer and a well built "Tinny House" are primarily the framing, insulation and venting.

RV's are made to be mobile, and aside from some of the VERY high end ones, are not meant to be lived in continuously due to ventilation issues and water/condensation build up.

So if you plan to park one on a property and live in it for a few years continuously, expect mold problems and heating cooling cost higher than a tinny house.

Tinny houses are not meant to be moved often, or at all. Very heavy compared to an RV and will develop structural issues with a bit of road time. They can have excellent insulation with very low heating/cooling costs. They are also vented like a house to accommodate permanent occupation just like a regular size house.

They are popular in my area as rental units due to cost and the ease of permitting on properties with existing structures. Not my thing but I can see living in one if I was single and didn't  have a bunch of "stuff" intensive hobbies.
Link Posted: 8/2/2015 3:24:19 PM EDT
[#43]
Fuck...looks like you could easily build one for well under 10 grand.
Link Posted: 8/2/2015 3:24:42 PM EDT
[#44]
Quoted:
They'll go out of style once the psychotic cat ladies realize their tiny house will only fit a baker's dozen.
View Quote

Or when the hipsters have two kids under age five.
Link Posted: 8/2/2015 3:26:03 PM EDT
[#45]
Quoted:
View Quote

I'd love to see you try and build a good quality one for that much...

Aviator
Link Posted: 8/2/2015 3:28:17 PM EDT
[#46]
They have had these things down in the south for years. They have from 400 - 1050 square feet and are on wheels and they have a kitchen, sometimes 2 bedrooms, at least one bathroom and most the times a washer and dryer. They have wheels on them and can be moved from one lot to another. I think they call them MOBILE HOMES. They aren't too hipster though.
I just looked and they have one that has 426 sq feet. 1 BR, Kit, 1 Bath, and a Living area for $19,900. Which is way cheaper per sq foot those hamster tiny home condos that I have seen them build on TV.
http://www.fbhexpo.com/micro.asp
Link Posted: 8/2/2015 3:29:37 PM EDT
[#47]

Quoted:

Because most sheeple want to buy stuff and loose wealth than build something and create wealth.

People are stupid with money are impatient and are trying to impress others.

View Quote

Loose wealth? Can you catch it?
Link Posted: 8/2/2015 3:33:59 PM EDT
[#48]
They used to call them "Shotgun Shacks".  
Link Posted: 8/2/2015 3:36:05 PM EDT
[#49]
This is a tiny house

Link Posted: 8/2/2015 3:42:26 PM EDT
[#50]
Quoted:

Aviator
View All Quotes
Quoted:
Quoted:

Aviator

I built myself an ultra deluxe 10X20 shed for ~5grand:

16 on center,  sheathed, real siding, solid wood trim, house wrapped, heavy duty roof, rain gutters, concrete pad, steps, ramp for mowers and 60 amp electrical service.
Contractor account at Lowes...materials delivered for free...did the labor and design work myself...had a concrete dude do the concrete.
Shit...add some insulation and drywall and it would make a nice reloading house.

Arrow Left Previous Page
Page / 5
Close Join Our Mail List to Stay Up To Date! Win a FREE Membership!

Sign up for the ARFCOM weekly newsletter and be entered to win a free ARFCOM membership. One new winner* is announced every week!

You will receive an email every Friday morning featuring the latest chatter from the hottest topics, breaking news surrounding legislation, as well as exclusive deals only available to ARFCOM email subscribers.

By signing up you agree to our User Agreement. *Must have a registered ARFCOM account to win.
Top Top