Confirm Action

Are you sure you wish to do this?

Confirm Cancel
BCM
User Panel

Arrow Left Previous Page
Page / 4
Posted: 8/1/2015 10:35:57 AM EDT

An 18-year-old township man claims that police used excessive force against him while breaking up a party last weekend.

West Deptford police arrived at an apartment on Apple Lane at about 2 a.m. on Saturday after receiving complaints of a loud party and possible underaged drinking. Video of the incident posted to YouTube shows two officers, James Creedon and Charles Svenson, asking Chris Cuneo, 18, of West Deptford, to identify himself as partygoers leave the residence.

"What's your first name?" asks one officer in the video.

"I'm not telling you," Cuneo replies.

"You're going to be arrested for obstruction," says the officer.

"For obstruction of what?" asks Cuneo.

"For obstructing my investigation," the officer responds.

"Give him your name," says another officer.

"I don't want to be a part of this," Cuneo says before the camera in his hand is apparently dropped on the ground. A scuffle ensues.
View Quote

http://www.nj.com/gloucester-county/index.ssf/2015/07/watch_west_deptford_teen_claims_arrest_video_shows.html

http://www.nj.com/gloucester-county/index.ssf/2015/08/claim_of_excessive_force_why_are_some_cops_placed.html#incart_2box_nj-homepage-featured

Link Posted: 8/1/2015 10:39:09 AM EDT
[#1]
West Deptford tuned my little brother up for breaking into cars while drunk and underage. He deserved it.

Extorris

On topic, "isolated incident"

/Extorris
Link Posted: 8/1/2015 10:41:07 AM EDT
[#2]
Link Posted: 8/1/2015 10:44:03 AM EDT
[#3]
Well, now, there's another group out there for whom violence is the first and ready resort.  Likely a result of the frequent interactions of the two.

So, that makes two of them, like peas in a pod.

Isolated incident.
Link Posted: 8/1/2015 10:48:59 AM EDT
[#4]
Discussion ForumsJump to Quoted PostQuote History
Quoted:
I guess he should have given them his name.

View Quote

It isn't that hard.
Link Posted: 8/1/2015 10:50:25 AM EDT
[#5]
Why didn't the cop say "you are under arrest, please turn around with your hands behind your back" or at least break it down slowly to the kid why he would be arrested?  

I didn't see any punch or if there was a punch was it warranted I don't know.
Link Posted: 8/1/2015 11:07:33 AM EDT
[#6]
Quoted:

View Quote

You can't refuse to tell the cops who you are. You may not need actual identification papers, but you still have to tell your name.

Can't cops hold you until you can be identified? A stubborn guy who refuses to give his name could be detained for a very long time.
Link Posted: 8/1/2015 11:09:30 AM EDT
[#7]
Quoted:

You can't refuse to tell the cops who you are. You may not need actual identification papers, but you still have to tell your name.

Can't cops hold you until you can be identified? A stubborn guy who refuses to give his name could be detained for a very long time.
View Quote View All Quotes
View All Quotes
Quoted:
Quoted:

Not if you're a Sovereign Citizen.  Then YOU can arrest the officer for trying to illegally question you.
Link Posted: 8/1/2015 11:23:46 AM EDT
[#8]
Quoted:

View All Quotes
Quoted:
Quoted:

Hindering charge (at the very least) and they get lodged on a "Jane Doe" or "John Doe" warrant.
Link Posted: 8/1/2015 1:30:59 PM EDT
[#9]
Link Posted: 8/1/2015 1:33:50 PM EDT
[#10]
Quoted:
Why didn't the cop say "you are under arrest, please turn around with your hands behind your back" or at least break it down slowly to the kid why he would be arrested?  

I didn't see any punch or if there was a punch was it warranted I don't know.
View Quote

Looks like he already did break it down as to why he would be arrested. It is pretty clear in the OP.
Link Posted: 8/1/2015 1:49:45 PM EDT
[#11]
Shouldn't have answered the door.
Link Posted: 8/1/2015 1:53:41 PM EDT
[#12]
Link Posted: 8/1/2015 2:16:56 PM EDT
[#13]
Quoted:

You can't refuse to tell the cops who you are.
View All Quotes
Quoted:
Quoted:

Actually - yes, you can, unless the jurisdiction has a "stop and identify" law.
Link Posted: 8/1/2015 2:18:19 PM EDT
[#14]
Quoted:

Hindering charge (at the very least) and they get lodged on a "Jane Doe" or "John Doe" warrant.
View All Quotes
Quoted:
Quoted:
Quoted:

Plus his booking photo gets posted on the cover of the local newspaper, plus tv stations' Facebook pages, then 4Chan with a "who can identify this guy" message.

A judge could also hold him in contempt of court and keep adding time every time he refuses to give his name.
Link Posted: 8/1/2015 2:19:08 PM EDT
[#15]
I guess he is a slow learner.

Posted Via AR15.Com Mobile
Link Posted: 8/1/2015 2:19:19 PM EDT
[#16]
Quoted:

A judge could also hold him in contempt of court and keep adding time every time he refuses to give his name.
View Quote

Link Posted: 8/1/2015 2:24:45 PM EDT
[#17]
Quoted:

View Quote

How is mere failure to participate ("I don't want to be involved in this") "hindering" or "obstruction?"

If there is a "stop and identify" law there AND they have RS to detain, then good arrest. Otherwise, dogshit.
Link Posted: 8/1/2015 2:33:29 PM EDT
[#18]
Quoted:

View All Quotes
Quoted:
Quoted:

Judge "What's your name?"

Loser "I ain't tellin' you NUFFIN!"

Judge "In MY court your plan won't fly. You're in contempt. Maybe you'll remember your name in a week."

Repeat as long as the dumbass is willing to stay in custody, or until someone misses him enough to tell the courts who he is.

Who was that guy who spen YEARS in jail for not paying his ex some money the judge thought he had, but didn't? If a judge REALLY digs his heels in, you're fucked.
Link Posted: 8/1/2015 2:40:01 PM EDT
[#19]
Quoted:

Judge "In MY court your plan won't fly. You're in contempt. Maybe you'll remember your name in a week."

Repeat as long as the dumbass is willing to stay in custody, or until someone misses him enough to tell the courts who he is.

Who was that guy who spen YEARS in jail for not paying his ex some money the judge thought he had, but didn't? If a judge REALLY digs his heels in, you're fucked.
View Quote

How does he end up in front of a judge to begin with in this story?

Please tell me more about how judges work. I have no experience in that arena.
Link Posted: 8/1/2015 2:41:36 PM EDT
[#20]
Cop hitting a kid for not giving his name? And you all are ok with this? Read the FUCKING CONSTITUTION!!!
Link Posted: 8/1/2015 2:44:57 PM EDT
[#21]
Quoted:

View All Quotes
Quoted:
Quoted:

You get better judges at your level of competence.

Local judges may not be much of am improvement over your average Wal-Mart greeter.

I watched a judge doze off while surfing the internet as I waited my turn to speak at a coworker's sentencing (drunk driving).
Link Posted: 8/1/2015 2:45:17 PM EDT
[#22]
Quoted:
Cop hitting a kid for not giving his name? And you all are ok with this? Read the FUCKING CONSTITUTION!!!
View Quote

Did you see a hit? The video sucks for showing much.

Looks like the nice victim is trying to flee from the police. Or just leave from the area and ignore the police.
Link Posted: 8/1/2015 2:52:53 PM EDT
[#23]
Quoted:
View Quote

ok. What part am I looking for?
Link Posted: 8/1/2015 2:54:36 PM EDT
[#24]
Quoted:

Looks like the nice victim is trying to flee from the police. Or just leave from the area and ignore the police.
View All Quotes
Quoted:
Quoted:

Officer I wasn't fleeing and eluding you. I was ignoring your lawful commands while walking away at a fast pace.
Link Posted: 8/1/2015 2:55:47 PM EDT
[#25]
Quoted:
Officer I wasn't fleeing and eluding you. I was ignoring your lawful commands while walking away at a fast pace.
View Quote

Free inhabitants are not required to comply anyways. They have that right.
Link Posted: 8/1/2015 3:01:12 PM EDT
[#26]
Meh.  Probably better to just drive by the address at the speed limit with your windows up, fail to hear anything, and make it unfounded.
Link Posted: 8/1/2015 3:03:27 PM EDT
[#27]
Quoted:

View Quote

But they had gold fringes on their flag arm patches.
Link Posted: 8/1/2015 3:06:12 PM EDT
[#28]
Quoted:
Meh.  Probably better to just drive by the address at the speed limit with your windows up, fail to hear anything, and make it unfounded.
View Quote

You're getting to about the Extorris level of cynical.
Link Posted: 8/1/2015 3:07:37 PM EDT
[#29]
Quoted:

View All Quotes
Quoted:
Quoted:

He's just a Yankee version of me.  
Link Posted: 8/1/2015 3:09:13 PM EDT
[#30]
So, did he wind up giving his name or not? The story doesn't say anything about that.

Re-read, never mind. Reading is fundamental.
Link Posted: 8/1/2015 3:12:56 PM EDT
[#31]
Quoted:

View All Quotes
Quoted:
Quoted:
Quoted:

He's in Georgia now. He converted.
Link Posted: 8/1/2015 3:13:25 PM EDT
[#32]
Quoted:
So, did he wind up giving his name or not? The story doesn't say anything about that.
View Quote

Considering that the story names him, I'm guessing that mystery was solved. Thank goodness. The people of New Jersey can sleep easy now that this dangerous scofflaw has been identified.
Link Posted: 8/1/2015 3:19:03 PM EDT
[#33]
Just asked for first name.

Was it Punchme?
Link Posted: 8/1/2015 3:25:47 PM EDT
[#34]

Quoted:

View Quote
Really it's fucking OK to beat a 18 year old to make them talk?

WTF is this north korea?

If you were being sarcastic you have my apology

Link Posted: 8/1/2015 3:25:56 PM EDT
[#35]
Quoted:

View All Quotes
Quoted:
Quoted:
Quoted:

Unless you are under investigation for a crime.. in this case, under age drinking, possibly supply alcohol to minors etc..
Link Posted: 8/1/2015 3:26:52 PM EDT
[#36]
Quoted:

How is mere failure to participate ("I don't want to be involved in this") "hindering" or "obstruction?"

If there is a "stop and identify" law there AND they have RS to detain, then good arrest. Otherwise, dogshit.
View All Quotes
Quoted:
Quoted:

If they are about to charge him... then it is hindering.
Link Posted: 8/1/2015 3:28:26 PM EDT
[#37]
Link Posted: 8/1/2015 3:29:35 PM EDT
[#38]
Quoted:

I've seen it done.

View All Quotes
Quoted:
Quoted:
Quoted:

I've seen it done.

They'll just keep in jail until they verify his identity.
Link Posted: 8/1/2015 3:30:11 PM EDT
[#39]
My wife hits me for saying other people's names....  

Link Posted: 8/1/2015 3:32:14 PM EDT
[#40]
Quoted:
My wife hits me for saying other people's names....  

View Quote

Try saying a woman's name next time.
Link Posted: 8/1/2015 3:32:50 PM EDT
[#41]
What happened to his constitutional RIGHT to remain silent.  You don't have to talk anyone.
Link Posted: 8/1/2015 3:36:32 PM EDT
[#42]
Link Posted: 8/1/2015 3:37:41 PM EDT
[#43]

Quoted:
It isn't that hard.
View All Quotes
Quoted:

Quoted:

It isn't that hard.
I always wonder how the law of averages never seem to catch up?

I mean someday they will punch the wrong guys kid and it won't be good.

I had a bar fight in sea side with a cop who broke my buddy's jaw 5 years earlier.

He brought it up, he said he should have broke my jaw too, he was drunk and I tried to disengage as best I could, he was having none of it, he swung at me and I ducked, he swung again, this time he hit me on the shoulder/jaw, I had no choice at that point, I thought I was in big trouble till some Sea side Lt showed up, they had it with this clown and cuffed him and took the cuffs off me and told me have a good night.

That was the most rewarding bar fight (if there is such a thing) I ever had.    

Link Posted: 8/1/2015 3:39:11 PM EDT
[#44]
Quoted:

I had a bar fight in sea side with a cop who broke my buddy's jaw 5 years earlier.
He brought it up, he said he should have broke my jaw too, he was drunk and I tried to disengage as best I could, he was having none of it, he swung at me and I ducked, he swung again, this time he hit me on the shoulder/jaw, I had no choice at that point, I thought I was in big trouble till some Sea side Lt showed up, they had it with this clown and cuffed him and took the cuffs off me and told me have a good night.

View All Quotes
Quoted:
Quoted:
Quoted:

It isn't that hard.

I didn't see a video of someone getting punched, just an audio of someone claiming there was a punch.
Link Posted: 8/1/2015 3:39:28 PM EDT
[#45]

Quoted:

View Quote
Yep

Link Posted: 8/1/2015 3:40:15 PM EDT
[#46]
Quoted:

View Quote

What entitles them to his identity in the first place?

We still haven't established that. You don't get to judges and contempt charges until you pass that hurdle.
Link Posted: 8/1/2015 3:40:41 PM EDT
[#47]
Quoted:

I've seen it done.

View All Quotes
Quoted:
Quoted:
Quoted:

I've seen it done.

Yeah, I've seen all sorts of shit done. That doesn't mean it was legal.
Link Posted: 8/1/2015 3:40:56 PM EDT
[#48]

Quoted:

View All Quotes
Quoted:

Quoted:

Lets assume he hit the kid for being a smart ass and not giving his name (just for arguments sake)

Was the cop justified if he indeed did punch the kid for not giving his name?

Link Posted: 8/1/2015 3:41:29 PM EDT
[#49]
Quoted:

We still haven't established that. You don't get to judges and contempt charges until you pass that hurdle.
View All Quotes
Quoted:
Quoted:

It isn't a contempt charge.

It is called a "John / Jane Done" warrant.  If they are about to be charged with something, and their identity cannot be proven, you can lodge them on the warrant until their identity can be found out.
Link Posted: 8/1/2015 3:43:15 PM EDT
[#50]
Quoted:

It isn't a contempt charge.

It is called a "John / Jane Done" warrant. If they are about to be charged with something, and their identity cannot be proven, you can lodge them on the warrant until their identity can be found out.
View Quote

Yeah. That's what we're missing here. "I'm holding you until you tell me your name, because you won't tell me your name" doesn't work.

Is there a "stop and identify" law in that town, or in NJ? And if so, what was he suspected of doing that gave them the predicate power to detain him to identify him?
Arrow Left Previous Page
Page / 4
Close Join Our Mail List to Stay Up To Date! Win a FREE Membership!

Sign up for the ARFCOM weekly newsletter and be entered to win a free ARFCOM membership. One new winner* is announced every week!

You will receive an email every Friday morning featuring the latest chatter from the hottest topics, breaking news surrounding legislation, as well as exclusive deals only available to ARFCOM email subscribers.

By signing up you agree to our User Agreement. *Must have a registered ARFCOM account to win.
Top Top