Are you sure you wish to do this?

Confirm Cancel
BCM
User Panel

Site Notices
Arrow Left Previous Page
Page / 3
Posted: 7/31/2015 9:42:09 AM EDT
Girlfriend(soon to be fiancée) and I have discussed some day moving away from the cold Midwest.  We both love Disney but don't want central FL.  She'd prefer Northern FL.  All I know about "Tally" is we have a few members there and it's the home of FSU and FAMU and the state capital.

Is it easy to get a $50k/year job there? I've worked in customer service the past 3 years, she's been an image editor the past seven.

TIA.
Link Posted: 7/31/2015 9:44:30 AM EDT
[#1]
There are shity parts of town but overall it is a nice little city. I wish I was living there again. Can't tell you about the job market.
Link Posted: 7/31/2015 9:48:54 AM EDT
[#2]
its hot as hell
Link Posted: 7/31/2015 9:49:53 AM EDT
[#3]
Discussion ForumsJump to Quoted PostQuote History
Quoted:
its hot as hell
View Quote

As bad as Central/south FL?
Link Posted: 7/31/2015 9:53:24 AM EDT
[#4]
It be hot and humid most of the year and you're nowhere near a beach. Look into the Panhandle area or close to Tampa, (if you're going to move to FL be close to the damn beach.) Just my $0.02
Link Posted: 7/31/2015 9:55:54 AM EDT
[#5]
Quoted:

View Quote View All Quotes
View All Quotes
Quoted:
Quoted:
its hot as hell

Worse because you don't get the sea breezes and like you do in the peninsula.
I was in Tally last week and it was 101 with plenty of humidity to boot.
You do get a fall/winter season that last more than three weeks there.

I like Tallahassee.  Grew up an hour out of there.  Live in the peninsula now.  
Tallahassee is one of the top 5 cities in FL for jobs right now.
Link Posted: 7/31/2015 9:57:43 AM EDT
[#6]
You will need to look at cost of living differences when you are comparing jobs in Tallahassee vs. where you are now.

I would say 50k for a call center type job may be attainable for a supervisor in Florida, in Tallahassee the jobs are mostly state govt.  You would need to apply using People First  The salary ranges here should give you an idea of what is possible.  Florida pay scales for state employees are close to the lowest in the country.

Tallahassee is not all there is in North Florida, there is also Pensacola/Mobile, AL which is probably what she is thinking when she says she likes North Florida, e.g. beaches etc.

Tallahassee is a relatively small southern town which has plusses and minuses that has two major industries, FSU & FAMU and the State Govt.
Link Posted: 7/31/2015 9:57:56 AM EDT
[#7]
Move south of TLH, like St George Island area and commute.
Link Posted: 7/31/2015 9:59:00 AM EDT
[#8]
Beautiful town, lots of great churches, lots of rolling hills and green space outside of town and a close rifle range in the nearby national forest.
Link Posted: 7/31/2015 10:00:08 AM EDT
[#9]
Quoted:
It be hot and humid most of the year and you're nowhere near a beach. Look into the Panhandle area or close to Tampa, (if you're going to move to FL be close to the damn beach.) Just my $0.02
View Quote

We're not really beach people.
Link Posted: 7/31/2015 10:04:48 AM EDT
[#10]
Quoted:
Girlfriend(soon to be fiancée) and I have discussed some day moving away from the cold Midwest.  We both love Disney but don't want central FL.  She'd prefer Northern FL.  All I know about "Tally" is we have a few members there and it's the home of FSU and FAMU and the state capital.

Is it easy to get a $50k/year job there? I've worked in customer service the past 3 years, she's been an image editor the past seven.

TIA.
View Quote

I'm in what's considered "central "Fla. But you'll be damned to find typical south /central bullshit here aka Marion /Putnam north lake counties.
Now further north and west is nice as is areas by lake city ...and parts of UN developed flagler county ..
Keeps you near the beach brezze...

You wont get away from the heat or humidity...even in winter.

Posted Via AR15.Com Mobile
Link Posted: 7/31/2015 10:11:42 AM EDT
[#11]
Quoted:

View All Quotes
Quoted:
Quoted:
its hot as hell

It's bad. I'm 90 miles east and it's very brutal. Tallahassee has always seemed laid back to me. I like Gainesville better, except for the dirty hippies. $50k is pushing it I think because the average pay in FL is usually lower than elsewhere. For example, the local call center starts new hires at around $9.00 per hour.

But: there's no state income tax, no winter heating costs to speak of and cost of living is generally low. Plus the gun laws aren't bad. Just learn to stay inside whenever possible during the broiling hell months. I've been here my while life and I despise the heat and humidity.
Link Posted: 7/31/2015 10:11:59 AM EDT
[#12]
Looks like I should steer closer to Pensacola then?
Link Posted: 7/31/2015 10:12:24 AM EDT
[#13]
Do it!  You will want to be somewhere else June-August.  Hot + Humid don’t even begin to describe it.
Link Posted: 7/31/2015 10:13:59 AM EDT
[#14]
Quoted:
View Quote

Someplace near the water.  Only way to be remotely comfortable.  Tally is very nice in many ways.
Link Posted: 7/31/2015 10:27:42 AM EDT
[#15]
I used to want something bigger like Tampa/Orlando when I was younger but the older I get the more I like it here. I live on the far north part of town so it's not close to downtown/campuses and is nice and quiet. Very family oriented.

It does get hot here in the summer like right now but you also get a nice chilly winter with temps dropping into the 30's and occasionally down in the 20's. No snow though. And the spring and fall are out of this world weather-wise.

In terms of jobs, not really sure there, I've been doing the same thing forever now but with all of the government and universities I'm sure there are options for what you guys will be looking for. Everybody mentions FSU and FAMU but Tallahassee Community College (TCC) is here as well and I believe one of the larger community colleges in the country. It has more students than FAMU last I heard.

For shooting, like mentioned there is a public range out in the national forest and also a very nice private range right off of the interstate (Talon). I shot at the public range for years but it's a nice ride from my house and when they opened the private range a couple years ago I went ahead and got a membership there for the safety and convenience. It makes for a much nicer shooting experience but there is a cost involved here.

Also, Tallahassee is in a pretty nice location in terms of travel. Lots of cool places to go easily within driving distance.

Orlando - 4 hours
Jacksonville - 2.5 hours
Panama City/Destin - 2 hours
Atlanta - 4 hours
New Orleans - 6 hours
Link Posted: 7/31/2015 10:28:04 AM EDT
[#16]
How about Panama City?
Link Posted: 7/31/2015 10:30:20 AM EDT
[#17]
The real money in FL is in South Florida.
Link Posted: 7/31/2015 10:31:40 AM EDT
[#18]
Quoted:
View Quote

Link Posted: 7/31/2015 10:32:28 AM EDT
[#19]
Quoted:
View Quote

No thanks.
Link Posted: 7/31/2015 10:32:30 AM EDT
[#20]
Quoted:
How about Panama City?
View Quote

if you can handle the spring breaks.....
Link Posted: 7/31/2015 10:33:45 AM EDT
[#21]
Quoted:
View Quote

...and it's not worth it with the cost of living, be in a constant CQB with other people, and the perpetual rat race that is South FL paired with high crime and other horrid shit that comes with living around three major cities.

The only redeeming qualities of South FL is ENP and Flamingo and the Keys - and even that is going to shit.
Link Posted: 7/31/2015 10:34:29 AM EDT
[#22]
Quoted:

View All Quotes
Quoted:
Quoted:
How about Panama City?

Not too bad if you stear clear of living on the beach.
Link Posted: 7/31/2015 10:35:13 AM EDT
[#23]
I've lived all over the state of Florida.  Tallahassee is the hottest, most humid, windless, godforsaken town.  As a young college punk kid living there, it was awesome!  There were no adults anywhere, except professors and politicians hiding from the population in their respective buildings.  It was like Lord of the Flies, but with girls!  The crime was awful, nearly everyone I knew there had a burglary or home invasion story.  Parked car break-ins are common, as are muggings at night.  Not uncommon to find your car had been side-swiped by a drunk sorority gal the night before.  

But buddy, let me tell ya, the giant pizza slices at Momo's made it worth it!
Link Posted: 7/31/2015 10:36:40 AM EDT
[#24]
Quoted:

But buddy, let me tell ya, the giant pizza slices at Momo's made it worth it!
View Quote

The GF(despite being vegetarian) loves her pizza.
Link Posted: 7/31/2015 10:37:56 AM EDT
[#25]
PM sent.
Link Posted: 7/31/2015 10:39:00 AM EDT
[#26]
Quoted:
How about Panama City?
View Quote

Deej, with your background look at places where you can put your skills to work where there is work available.  Here, you probably would be looking at working in the Hotel/Resort reservation/booking/marketing side which is the larger part of CS type work available in the area.
Link Posted: 7/31/2015 10:39:36 AM EDT
[#27]
Quoted:

...and it's not worth it with the cost of living, be in a constant CQB with other people, and the perpetual rat race that is South FL paired with high crime and other horrid shit that comes with living around three major cities.

The only redeeming qualities of South FL is ENP and Flamingo and the Keys - and even that is going to shit.
View All Quotes
Quoted:
Quoted:

I didn't say the quality of life was great I said that is where the money is
Link Posted: 7/31/2015 10:40:07 AM EDT
[#28]
I live about 1-1.5 hours west of Tally depends on how fast you drive. Tally is supposed to be a pretty good town, weather is the same as here hot and humid. PC and Pensacola offer a better job market becaase they are destinations. There isn't much in between, I think the next largest cities between are Marianna, Chipley, Bonifay, and Defuniak Springs and they are small town. Tally is more spread out. PC and Pensacola are strips of civilization between farm land and ranches. PC is tourist hell but you can get out of the traffic if your not beach people. One thing to consider is the elevation. We are talking feet above sealevel in these areas. With lots of springs and rivers it doesn't take much to flood. Add in the fact that tropical storms and hurricanes do frequent the area. The do in Tally too. There is a prison in Chipley I think that lot of people work at.

If you are coming down just to escape the cold, Tally would be a good place certainly if you are not beach people. Hard to resist the sugar sand beaches of the Gulf coast though. Also with it being beach season well after Labor day it give you plenty of time to enjoy the beach without tourists.
Link Posted: 7/31/2015 10:41:09 AM EDT
[#29]
Quoted:
How about Panama City?
View Quote

I love to visit PC (I live an hour and a half from there) but would never live there. The rednecks and the drunk teenagers would drive you insane. There's also a shitload of unreliable people there due to the countless forms of entertainment.

I liked living in Tallahassee. It's a well rounded city; generally conservative area but with a slight liberal college influence, and the political climate. Plenty of outdoor activities to include camping, fishing, hunting.
Link Posted: 7/31/2015 10:42:16 AM EDT
[#30]
Quoted:
PM sent.
View Quote

Much appreciated.
Link Posted: 7/31/2015 10:42:52 AM EDT
[#31]
West of Pensacola Navy Federal has a huge call center.
I dont know the details, but its supposedly like only 3 or 4 in the world or someshit.
They hire a ton of people. Its like the Google complex out there.

That would be a place to look into Deej with your BG.
Link Posted: 7/31/2015 10:43:00 AM EDT
[#32]
Quoted:
I've lived all over the state of Florida.  Tallahassee is the hottest, most humid, windless, godforsaken town.  As a young college punk kid living there, it was awesome!  There were no adults anywhere, except professors and politicians hiding from the population in their respective buildings.  It was like Lord of the Flies, but with girls!  The crime was awful, nearly everyone I knew there had a burglary or home invasion story.  Parked car break-ins are common, as are muggings at night.  Not uncommon to find your car had been side-swiped by a drunk sorority gal the night before.  
View Quote

You're talking strictly around campus and south side here. Unless that's the life you want I would certainly avoid living in these areas but most of the rest of the city is not like that at all. The more north you go the quieter it gets.

I'm in full agreement on Momo's though!
Link Posted: 7/31/2015 10:44:18 AM EDT
[#33]
Link Posted: 7/31/2015 10:44:31 AM EDT
[#34]

Girlfriend/soon to be fiancé pics needed to determine if she will burn in the sun.

Link Posted: 7/31/2015 10:45:29 AM EDT
[#35]
Quoted:

I love to visit PC (I live an hour and a half from there) but would never live there. The rednecks and the drunk teenagers would drive you insane. There's also a shitload of unreliable people there due to the countless forms of entertainment.

I liked living in Tallahassee. It's a well rounded city; generally conservative area but with a slight liberal college influence, and the political climate. Plenty of outdoor activities to include camping, fishing, hunting.
View All Quotes
Quoted:
Quoted:
How about Panama City?

Someone from Alabama talking about rednecks driving you insane in Florida!
Link Posted: 7/31/2015 10:47:29 AM EDT
[#36]
Quoted:

Girlfriend/soon to be fiancé pics needed to determine if she will burn in the sun.

View Quote

He is a lucky man.
Link Posted: 7/31/2015 10:50:57 AM EDT
[#37]
I lived in Tally for 4 years (job related) would not want to live there again, my bride works there now, the good part about the area is that if you do not mind a commute you can work there and live in the country. We live in a very rural county and she drives an hour to work in tally. Remember when you look at jobs the salary might not be as high as you are used to , but if you live outside of Tally the cost of living is very reasonable. It is friggin hot this time of the year, I am born and raised in the panhandle and I don't think you can ever get used to it, for July we have averaged 92 with 90 percent plus humidity, yes my friend that equates to 102 plus feels like temperature.
Link Posted: 7/31/2015 10:53:06 AM EDT
[#38]
Seafood = You know where! Barnacle Bills in North Monroe!

Link Posted: 7/31/2015 10:57:20 AM EDT
[#39]
Tallahassee isn’t bad at all, it is mostly a Government town with a lot of students thanks to the universities. There is a lot to do if you are a nature person and it is centrally located enough (and on I-10) that you are only a few hours from ANYTHING you could want 4 to Orlando/Tampa, 5 to Atlanta or Biloxi, 6 to Chattanooga or New Orleans.
We have several GREAT ranges and a lot of top notch training companies
Hunting and Fishing is fantastic.
The summers can get warm but not unbearable and no winter to speak of.

IM me if you want more details or have specific questions.

and MOMOs pizza is not to be missed.
Link Posted: 7/31/2015 11:00:49 AM EDT
[#40]
Total shit hole.

It's a dirty city filled with the obnoxious ghetto goblins, violent white trash, government workers and pain in the ass students.

Tallahasshole is what I call it. I'd never live there again.
Link Posted: 7/31/2015 11:05:07 AM EDT
[#41]
Quoted:
Tallahassee isn’t bad at all, it is mostly a Government town with a lot of students thanks to the universities. There is a lot to do if you are a nature person and it is centrally located enough (and on I-10) that you are only a few hours from ANYTHING you could want 4 to Orlando/Tampa, 5 to Atlanta or Biloxi, 6 to Chattanooga or New Orleans.
We have several GREAT ranges and a lot of top notch training companies
Hunting and Fishing is fantastic.
The summers can get warm but not unbearable and no winter to speak of.

IM me if you want more details or have specific questions.

and MOMOs pizza is not to be missed.
View Quote

Agreed. I don't like momos though.
Link Posted: 7/31/2015 11:06:19 AM EDT
[#42]
Quoted:
Total shit hole.

It's a dirty city filled with the obnoxious ghetto goblins, violent white trash, government workers and pain in the ass students.

View Quote

LOL. Like the other post I commented on, what you're describing is a small area around downtown and FSU/FAMU campuses. I've been here more than 30 years now and 80-90% of Tallahassee is nothing like that.
Link Posted: 7/31/2015 11:06:53 AM EDT
[#43]
Quoted:

View All Quotes
Quoted:
Quoted:
Quoted:
How about Panama City?

Hey, I didn't mention the kissing cousins.
Link Posted: 7/31/2015 11:08:59 AM EDT
[#44]

Quoted:
LOL. Like the other post I commented on, what you're describing is a small area around downtown and FSU/FAMU campuses. I've been here more than 30 years now and 80-90% of Tallahassee is nothing like that.

View All Quotes
Quoted:

Quoted:

Total shit hole.

I'll just lol at your lol and call it a day.
Link Posted: 7/31/2015 11:10:36 AM EDT
[#45]
I haven't lived there in 10 years but I generally enjoy visiting my family there.  Overall, I'd say it has culturally (restaurants, breweries, things to do, etc) gotten better in the last 10 years.  

It has more of a southern Georgia feel than FL.  Summers are terrible, but fall and winter are nice.  

I'd look more into Jacksonville/Savannah, but that's just me.  
Link Posted: 7/31/2015 11:12:44 AM EDT
[#46]

Quoted:

View All Quotes
Quoted:

Quoted:

Quoted:

Total shit hole.

Let me butt in between the purses.

My wife went to FSU.  I lived in tally from 5th grade until I graduated high school (my father is a state LEO).  We each "know" Tallahassee, but our perception of it is completely different.

I'd tend to agree with webnole.  I work with a LTC that is looking to move to NE Leon County and commute to Valdosta (he is a college professor at Valdosta State).  Just a cursory glance at zillow showed it would be hard to find a place for less than half a million.  It's a diverse county/city.

Link Posted: 7/31/2015 11:18:07 AM EDT
[#47]
Link Posted: 7/31/2015 11:24:20 AM EDT
[#48]
Quoted:
View Quote

Yeah but there a no jobs in Pensacola.
Link Posted: 7/31/2015 11:26:44 AM EDT
[#49]
Tallahassee, FL......... never heard of it
Link Posted: 7/31/2015 11:39:55 AM EDT
[#50]
Quoted:

View All Quotes
Quoted:
Quoted:
Quoted:
Total shit hole.

Honestly I could probably bump that down to 70% and include more of the south side in the fall out zone but that's it.
Arrow Left Previous Page
Page / 3
Close Join Our Mail List to Stay Up To Date! Win a FREE Membership!

Sign up for the ARFCOM weekly newsletter and be entered to win a free ARFCOM membership. One new winner* is announced every week!

You will receive an email every Friday morning featuring the latest chatter from the hottest topics, breaking news surrounding legislation, as well as exclusive deals only available to ARFCOM email subscribers.

By signing up you agree to our User Agreement. *Must have a registered ARFCOM account to win.
Top Top