Confirm Action

Are you sure you wish to do this?

Confirm Cancel
BCM
User Panel

Arrow Left Previous Page
Page / 11
Posted: 7/30/2015 4:37:37 PM EDT
This should be fun, assume no fire support, reinforcements, or intelligence, fight starts in early morning shortly after sun up, area is mixed urban and open, think the outskirts of a city, one company sized element of each, each has the ROE and weapons and equipment of their respective eras, all else is equal, who wins?

What about with equal weapons and equipment (assuming the other side has been familiarized)?
Link Posted: 7/30/2015 4:39:43 PM EDT
[#1]
Modern unit is picked off at 800-1000 yards by M1 Garands......over.
Link Posted: 7/30/2015 4:41:17 PM EDT
[#2]
S_A_C thread
Link Posted: 7/30/2015 4:41:28 PM EDT
[#3]
Those older guys probably have us beat for tobacco but they won't have ripits. The caffeine gap is real.
Link Posted: 7/30/2015 4:42:27 PM EDT
[#4]
Modern forces.
Link Posted: 7/30/2015 4:42:54 PM EDT
[#5]
Modern Infantry is composed of Professional Soldiers, WW2 was conscripted,volunteers and a few Professionals.

Modern Wins
Link Posted: 7/30/2015 4:43:20 PM EDT
[#6]
This is one of the few times that I think the more modern army doesn't have an advantage.

You are taking away some of the best advantages of the Modern US army.  Combined arms.  

When you are just talking about guys shooting rifles at each other I think its pretty balanced.

Link Posted: 7/30/2015 4:43:51 PM EDT
[#7]
Modern forces win.  Long range firepower is less useful in that environment.  Being able to lay down more fire is, and modern forces are better at that generally speaking.
Link Posted: 7/30/2015 4:45:03 PM EDT
[#8]
Who wins the fight: A pistol or an air strike?
Link Posted: 7/30/2015 4:45:30 PM EDT
[#9]
Discussion ForumsJump to Quoted PostQuote History
Quoted:
Modern forces win.  Long range firepower is less useful in that environment.  Being able to lay down more fire is, and modern forces are better at that generally speaking.
View Quote

WW2 forces are more accepting of casualties.

Link Posted: 7/30/2015 4:45:46 PM EDT
[#10]

Quoted:

This is one of the few times that I think the more modern army doesn't have an advantage.

You are taking away some of the best advantages of the Modern US army.  Combined arms.  

When you are just talking about guys shooting rifles at each other I think its pretty balanced.

View Quote
much better MGs now.

Link Posted: 7/30/2015 4:45:58 PM EDT
[#11]
What nations infantry ?
Link Posted: 7/30/2015 4:46:06 PM EDT
[#12]
Body armor is going to go a long way.
Link Posted: 7/30/2015 4:46:08 PM EDT
[#13]
Link Posted: 7/30/2015 4:46:56 PM EDT
[#14]
All of those M1 clips piniing will give away their locations so the modern soldiers will know where to call in the air strikes.
Link Posted: 7/30/2015 4:47:06 PM EDT
[#15]
Link Posted: 7/30/2015 4:48:06 PM EDT
[#16]
Quoted:
I'm sure this one has been done before
View Quote

Probably, but what if threads are fun.
Link Posted: 7/30/2015 4:48:28 PM EDT
[#17]
Being an 11B as recently as 2014, I really want to say modern but I still think it'd have to go to the old guys.
Their only disadvantage against us is optics.

They don't have 130lbs of PPE to slow them down.
Their rifles can outrange ours.
The individual soldier is going to be a tougher, leaner, meaner sumbitch; while half of ours won't be in the fight because they went red on dental and have a profile for fibromyalgia.
Link Posted: 7/30/2015 4:48:30 PM EDT
[#18]
ROE of their respective era's?  WWII guys win.  Their ROE was kill the enemy and break his shit.
Link Posted: 7/30/2015 4:50:44 PM EDT
[#19]
Quoted:
ROE of their respective era's?  WWII guys win.  Their ROE was kill the enemy and break his shit.
View Quote

This is my point exactly, if the rest can't tell, the question is really about ROE.  Modern politically correct ROE is a killer.
Link Posted: 7/30/2015 4:51:53 PM EDT
[#20]
Link Posted: 7/30/2015 4:52:17 PM EDT
[#21]
Quoted:
If you can't ell the question is really about ROE.  Modern politically correct ROE is a killer.
View Quote

this is it.

Link Posted: 7/30/2015 4:53:25 PM EDT
[#22]
Quoted:
Being an 11B as recently as 2014, I really want to say modern but I still think it'd have to go to the old guys.

The individual soldier is going to be a tougher, leaner, meaner sumbitch; while half of ours won't be in the fight because they went red on dental and have a profile for fibromyalgia.
View Quote

The individual WWII soldier is going to be smaller, weaker, and poorly trained compared to the individual modern soldier.

"The poorer the infantry, the more artillery it needs; the American infantry needs all it can get."

Edit: And RA's point about night fighting is right.  Giving our guys thermals and night vision makes it not even a fight.
Link Posted: 7/30/2015 4:54:55 PM EDT
[#23]

Quoted:

View Quote
The modern infantry is going to be better in every way physically.

Link Posted: 7/30/2015 4:56:42 PM EDT
[#24]
Quoted:
fight starts in early morning shortly after sun up
View Quote

Fight starts when the people with night vision say it starts
Link Posted: 7/30/2015 4:57:39 PM EDT
[#25]
If the modern infantry get their night vision it would be wholesale slaughter after dark. Even the modern body armor would be a huge advantage against the Thompson and M1 Carbine equipped troops. Not sure if a Garand firing 1940's era load/pressure would penetrate a SAPI or E-SAPI, anyone care to comment?

So on the one side you have a mix of Garands, 1903A3, M1 Carbines, Thompson & M3 grease gun smg's. 30 caliber machine guns and BAR's.

Against M4 Carbines and M16 rifles, SPR, SR25, M40, M82A1, various .338 rifles, probably not many true SMG's but there are MP5, UMP, MP7 subguns and CQBR's. Then there are M249/Mk46, Mk48, M240, M2, Mk19, plus LSAT and other lightweight MG's.

The firepower advantage would easily go to the modern infantry.

The armor advantage is to modern also.

The better medics, modern.

Better GPMG's and far more of them!

A modern infantry company versus a ww2 company, NO contest.
Link Posted: 7/30/2015 4:57:47 PM EDT
[#26]
The modern army has better rifles, optics, more ammunition, night vision, handheld radios, and the knowledge of everything that didn't work in World Wad II. The guys with the Garands would be wiped out in short order.
Link Posted: 7/30/2015 4:58:16 PM EDT
[#27]
Quoted:
Who wins the fight: A pistol or an air strike?
View Quote

I didn't know a  jet or helo was classified as infantry personnel?
Link Posted: 7/30/2015 4:58:48 PM EDT
[#28]
Link Posted: 7/30/2015 4:59:14 PM EDT
[#29]
Quoted:

Are all the WW2 people gonna dress as civilians and plant IEDs or something?

We slaughter people actively fighting us. A uniformed combatant would be a treat.
View Quote View All Quotes
View All Quotes
Quoted:
Quoted:
If you can't ell the question is really about ROE.  Modern politically correct ROE is a killer.

We slaughter people actively fighting us. A uniformed combatant would be a treat.

No, but they might fortify a church/mosque, school, or whatever other "don't blow it up" place might be handy and they won't have to concern themselves with collateral damage.
Link Posted: 7/30/2015 5:00:24 PM EDT
[#30]
Quoted:
S_A_C thread
View Quote

Link Posted: 7/30/2015 5:00:42 PM EDT
[#31]

Quoted:

I'm sure this one has been done before
View Quote
Several times.  

Link Posted: 7/30/2015 5:01:13 PM EDT
[#32]
Quoted:
If the modern infantry get their night vision it would be wholesale slaughter after dark. Even the modern body armor would be a huge advantage against the Thompson and M1 Carbine equipped troops. Not sure if a Garand firing 1940's era load/pressure would penetrate a SAPI or E-SAPI, anyone care to comment?

So on the one side you have a mix of Garands, 1903A3, M1 Carbines, Thompson & M3 grease gun smg's. 30 caliber machine guns and BAR's.

Against M4 Carbines and M16 rifles, SPR, SR25, M40, M82A1, various .338 rifles, probably not many true SMG's but there are MP5, UMP, MP7 subguns and CQBR's. Then there are M249/Mk46, Mk48, M240, M2, Mk19, plus LSAT and other lightweight MG's.

View Quote

Commo is far better, too.
Link Posted: 7/30/2015 5:01:50 PM EDT
[#33]
does the modern infantry company still have mortars?
Link Posted: 7/30/2015 5:01:52 PM EDT
[#34]
Quoted:

No, but they might fortify a church/mosque, school, or whatever other "don't blow it up" place might be handy and they won't have to concern themselves with collateral damage.
View All Quotes
Quoted:
Quoted:
Quoted:

Since time travel in one direction or the other is part of this game, it sounds like this takes place in some sort of urban arena rather than the real world.  So everything in the arena is fair game to blow it up.
Link Posted: 7/30/2015 5:02:48 PM EDT
[#35]
Quoted:

View All Quotes
Quoted:
Quoted:

When I was in Ramadi we could shoot on sight any Iraqi with binos, any type of recording device, or anyone with a digging tool of any kind after dark. ZOMG muh ROE's!
Link Posted: 7/30/2015 5:02:52 PM EDT
[#36]
Quoted:

View All Quotes
Quoted:
Quoted:
Quoted:

Lol
Link Posted: 7/30/2015 5:03:46 PM EDT
[#37]

Quoted:
When I was in Ramadi we could shoot on sight any Iraqi with binos, any type of recording device, or anyone with a digging tool of any kind after dark. ZOMG muh ROE's!
View All Quotes
Quoted:

Quoted:

Quoted:

shitty place to be into astronomy

Link Posted: 7/30/2015 5:04:10 PM EDT
[#38]

Quoted:

View Quote
This. On top of all that, modern infantry also has excellent optics. It would be a slaughter.

Link Posted: 7/30/2015 5:04:11 PM EDT
[#39]
Quoted:

View All Quotes
Quoted:
Quoted:
Quoted:

I'm going to pretend to know what ROEs have ever been in Afghanistan or Iraq, but from reading this forum for over 6 years I've come away with the impression that they weren't anywhere near as restrictive as people make them out to be.
Link Posted: 7/30/2015 5:04:21 PM EDT
[#40]
Link Posted: 7/30/2015 5:04:21 PM EDT
[#41]
Quoted:

View All Quotes
Quoted:
Quoted:
Quoted:

You have less than no idea what you're talking about. Every thread you start is just more and more embarrassing for you.
Link Posted: 7/30/2015 5:04:43 PM EDT
[#42]
Quoted:

Yeah, when I was in Anbar in 2005 we destroyed fucking everything.

We even fired a bunch of AT4s into a school.
View All Quotes
Quoted:
Quoted:

Yeah, when I was in Anbar in 2005 we destroyed fucking everything.

We even fired a bunch of AT4s into a school.

Why do you love war crimes?
Link Posted: 7/30/2015 5:05:32 PM EDT
[#43]
Some of you guys who's never BTDT should hear what a modern infantry company sounds like when it "opens up". The suppressive fire alone would make my WWII grandpa piss himself.  
Link Posted: 7/30/2015 5:05:40 PM EDT
[#44]
Link Posted: 7/30/2015 5:05:54 PM EDT
[#45]
Quoted:

This is my point exactly, if the rest can't tell, the question is really about ROE.  Modern politically correct ROE is a killer.
View All Quotes
Quoted:
Quoted:

Show me any recent ROE in a combat theater that prevents American forces from locating, closing with, and destroying the enemy.

ETA- I have nothing but respect for the WWII guys, but the modern infantry is better trained, better equipped and tough enough to do what needs to be done, despite what everyone thinks of the current generation.

Grandpa is going down.
Link Posted: 7/30/2015 5:06:52 PM EDT
[#46]
Quoted:

Show me any recent ROE in a combat theater that prevents American forces from locating, closing with, and destroying the enemy.
View All Quotes
Quoted:
Quoted:
Quoted:

Can you even find ROEs online?
Link Posted: 7/30/2015 5:07:51 PM EDT
[#47]
You young guys  have no ideal how fast you would lose.     men where a different generation back then.    hard working farm boys ,   and they lived in a time when parents kicked there asses.    no crying about being cold or hungry .   WWII   guys    were hunting for food as teens  not playing video games.  

300 men company   wouldn't survive a day  with  a 300 men WWII troop  with equal amount of weapons   no electronics
Link Posted: 7/30/2015 5:08:07 PM EDT
[#48]
Lol the firepower and communications ability from a modern platoon is far greater than a WWII company but a great bit. You have  6 40mm, 6 m249s, 2 m240s, a 60mm mortar raining hell in them while they are jamming their thumbs up  trying to reload.

Grampa is fcked
Link Posted: 7/30/2015 5:10:03 PM EDT
[#49]
Quoted:
You young guys  have no ideal how fast you would lose.     men where a different generation back then.    hard working farm boys ,   and they lived in a time when parents kicked there asses.    no crying about being cold or hungry .   WWII   guys    were hunting for food as teens  not playing video games.  

300 men company   wouldn't survive a day  with  a 300 men WWII troop  with equal amount of weapons   no electronics
View Quote

The funny thing is I bet you're a real "I support the troops" kind of guy.
Link Posted: 7/30/2015 5:11:14 PM EDT
[#50]
Quoted:

Sit in defense till night time.

Murder WW2 people.

Disappear because you killed your grandpa.
View All Quotes
Quoted:
Quoted:
Body armor is going to go a long way.

Sit in defense till night time.

Murder WW2 people.

Disappear because you killed your grandpa.

LOL
Arrow Left Previous Page
Page / 11
Close Join Our Mail List to Stay Up To Date! Win a FREE Membership!

Sign up for the ARFCOM weekly newsletter and be entered to win a free ARFCOM membership. One new winner* is announced every week!

You will receive an email every Friday morning featuring the latest chatter from the hottest topics, breaking news surrounding legislation, as well as exclusive deals only available to ARFCOM email subscribers.

By signing up you agree to our User Agreement. *Must have a registered ARFCOM account to win.
Top Top