Are you sure you wish to do this?

Confirm Cancel
BCM
User Panel

Site Notices
Arrow Left Previous Page
Page / 8
Posted: 7/29/2015 3:27:21 AM EDT
Anyone who does that is retarded Go forth and download that shit.
Link Posted: 7/29/2015 3:58:09 AM EDT
[#1]
im gonna try it.  I was hoping to be able to update when i got home at midnight.
Link Posted: 7/29/2015 4:03:10 AM EDT
[#2]
I want it but I'll figure out a way to get it cheaper at some point in the near future like I got a legitimate copy of Windows 7 home premium for $30 when it first came out.
Link Posted: 7/29/2015 4:04:17 AM EDT
[#3]
Discussion ForumsJump to Quoted PostQuote History
Quoted:
I want it but I'll figure out a way to get it cheaper at some point in the near future like I got a legitimate copy of Windows 7 home premium for $30 when it first came out.
View Quote

it's free
Link Posted: 7/29/2015 4:04:48 AM EDT
[#4]
sarcasm meter was off, my bad haha
Link Posted: 7/29/2015 4:05:38 AM EDT
[#5]
Quoted:

it's free
View Quote View All Quotes
View All Quotes
Quoted:
Quoted:

it's free

Link Posted: 7/29/2015 4:11:01 AM EDT
[#6]
Running it right now.
Link Posted: 7/29/2015 4:11:52 AM EDT
[#7]
I'm waiting a couple of months.What's the rush? I want to make sure it doesn't screw up my computer.
Link Posted: 7/29/2015 4:13:44 AM EDT
[#8]

Quoted:
it's free
View All Quotes
Quoted:
Quoted:

it's free

What is no for $200 Alex?
http://www.forbes.com/sites/gordonkelly/2015/06/17/windows-10-free-for-1-year-what-happens-next/

If you mean free as in free 1 year trial, you'd be correct. I don't know about you but I plan to be using a computer a year from now.

Edit: I need to learn how to read. Somebody please by my friend and teach me.

Link Posted: 7/29/2015 4:16:11 AM EDT
[#9]
Quoted:

http://www.forbes.com/sites/gordonkelly/2015/06/17/windows-10-free-for-1-year-what-happens-next/

I don't know about you but I plan to be using a computer a year from now.

View All Quotes
Quoted:
Quoted:
Quoted:

it's free

I don't know about you but I plan to be using a computer a year from now.

the promo to get it free lasts a year. if you upgrade within that period you keep it for free, forever.
Link Posted: 7/29/2015 4:24:04 AM EDT
[#10]
Quoted:

If you mean free as in free 1 year trial, you'd be correct. I don't know about you but I plan to be using a computer a year from now.

View All Quotes
Quoted:
Quoted:
Quoted:

it's free

No, it's free for a year as in you can upgrade for free for 1 year. As in, you can upgrade to it for free until July 29th, 2016. If you don't upgrade to it by that time, you have to buy it.

ETA: Bottom of e-mail I got after I reserved my shit.

"Yes, free! This upgrade offer is for a full version of Windows 10, not a trial. 3GB download required; standard data rates apply. To take advantage of this free offer, you must upgrade to Windows 10 within one year of availability. Once you upgrade, you have Windows 10 for free on that device."
Link Posted: 7/29/2015 4:27:07 AM EDT
[#11]
I am on it now. I did a fresh install. Runs faster than 7, and its a lot better than 8. At least in my opinion.

No issues yet.
Link Posted: 7/29/2015 4:38:46 AM EDT
[#12]

Quoted:
No, it's free for a year as in you can upgrade for free for 1 year. As in, you can upgrade to it for free until July 29th, 2016. If you don't upgrade to it by that time, you have to buy it.

http://i.gyazo.com/22449452285d367c508f74af8c619702.png

"Yes, free! This upgrade offer is for a full version of Windows 10, not a trial. 3GB download required; standard data rates apply. To take advantage of this free offer, you must upgrade to Windows 10 within one year of availability. Once you upgrade, you have Windows 10 for free on that device."
View All Quotes
Quoted:

Quoted:

Quoted:

Quoted:

it's free

http://i.gyazo.com/22449452285d367c508f74af8c619702.png

WTF I guess I should learn to read. I wish I could. I didn't even read the article I linked. I feel like a dumbass now.

Link Posted: 7/29/2015 4:41:40 AM EDT
[#13]
Quoted:WTF I guess I should learn to read. I wish I could. I didn't even read the article I linked. I feel like a dumbass now.

View Quote

No problem. Just think though, now you can upgrade.
Link Posted: 7/29/2015 4:53:29 AM EDT
[#14]

Quoted:
View All Quotes
Quoted:

Quoted:WTF I guess I should learn to read. I wish I could. I didn't even read the article I linked. I feel like a dumbass now.

Yeah I finally used the reserve copy thing.

Link Posted: 7/29/2015 4:53:58 AM EDT
[#15]
Here's the email I got and it says it will download when they get to my email address (I guess they are doing it ratably for the millions of users).

"We want to give every customer a great upgrade experience, so we’re rolling it out in an organized way to manage high demand and to make sure that the upgrade is right for your device. After July 29, when Windows 10 is ready for your device, it will download in the background. You’ll then get a notification to schedule your upgrade right away or at another time that’s convenient for you."
Link Posted: 7/29/2015 4:56:28 AM EDT
[#16]
Mine is upgrading right now. 45% done.
Link Posted: 7/29/2015 4:56:52 AM EDT
[#17]
Quoted:
Here's the email I got and it says it will download when they get to my email address (I guess they are doing it ratably for the millions of users).

"We want to give every customer a great upgrade experience, so we’re rolling it out in an organized way to manage high demand and to make sure that the upgrade is right for your device. After July 29, when Windows 10 is ready for your device, it will download in the background. You’ll then get a notification to schedule your upgrade right away or at another time that’s convenient for you."
View Quote

Yeah they're rolling it out over a period of time because there's too many people who are going to upgrade to do it all at once.

I reserved mine the day the thing popped up on my computer, and I checked it at 12:01.
Link Posted: 7/29/2015 5:04:39 AM EDT
[#18]
Link Posted: 7/29/2015 5:05:58 AM EDT
[#19]
I just started installation
Link Posted: 7/29/2015 5:08:55 AM EDT
[#20]
I'm still using Vista so I don't get a free upgrade, but I'm going to get it as soon as I can at retail cost.
Link Posted: 7/29/2015 5:11:47 AM EDT
[#21]
Quoted:
I'm waiting a couple of months.What's the rush? I want to make sure it doesn't screw up my computer.
View Quote

Same, let the Windows 10 rush die down, see some feedback and any problems get worked out first.
Link Posted: 7/29/2015 5:20:30 AM EDT
[#22]
sacrificial laptop updating now.

We'll see how it goes.
Link Posted: 7/29/2015 7:39:34 AM EDT
[#23]
I just built a new computer with Windows 8.1, and I'm just getting used to that system's quirks. I don't need yet another learning curve.

My Windows 7 and 8.1 machines work just fine. Don't fix what isn't broken.

Besides that, Windows 10 would be a downgrade for me because it doesn't support Media Center Edition.

Finally, I'm suspicious about Microsoft's motives in flogging this new system so hard. If it's so good for them, it must be equally bad for me. The rivalry between the consumer and the supplier is a zero-sum game. Especially the way that Microsoft has always run its business.
Link Posted: 7/29/2015 7:42:08 AM EDT
[#24]
Quoted:
I just built a new computer with Windows 8.1, and I'm just getting used to that system's quirks. I don't need yet another learning curve.

Besides that, Windows 10 would be a downgrade for me because it doesn't support Media Center Edition.

Finally, I'm suspicious about Microsoft's motives in flogging this new system so hard. If it's so good for them, it must be equally bad for me. The rivalry between the consumer and the supplier is a zero-sum game. Especially the way that Microsoft has always run its business.
View Quote

I've got Windows 7 and am worried support for that version will be stopped in the near future............so I'll be upgrading.

Oh, I don use that media center stuff...........I'm an old guy.
Link Posted: 7/29/2015 7:42:24 AM EDT
[#25]
Go into your Registry and disable the GWX process. You can Google how to do it.
Link Posted: 7/29/2015 7:50:33 AM EDT
[#26]
Is it better than windows 7 professional 64-bit?
Link Posted: 7/29/2015 7:51:23 AM EDT
[#27]
Quoted:

View Quote

There are better 3rd party apps for that like JRiver Media Center so don't let that stop you.
Link Posted: 7/29/2015 7:53:36 AM EDT
[#28]

Quoted:

View Quote

Here's a look at win 10

The take away is that they finally fixed the User Interface.  8 and 8.1 are text book bad UI.  10 looks way better.

Link Posted: 7/29/2015 7:57:12 AM EDT
[#29]
Yay!

Link Posted: 7/29/2015 7:59:05 AM EDT
[#30]
Link Posted: 7/29/2015 7:59:54 AM EDT
[#31]
I totally forgot this released this morning. I just texted my wife to turn on my PC when she gets up. It'll probably take a week to download because my broadband connection is a step above AOL dial-up speeds.
Link Posted: 7/29/2015 8:07:59 AM EDT
[#32]
I've got Windows 7 and am worried support for that version will be stopped in the near future............so I'll be upgrading.
View Quote

MS has said that they'll continue Windows 7 support at least through 2020. Considering the huge installed base, there would be a hue and cry if they didn't.

Besides that, the main thing that "support" does for a mature system is provide security updates (malware definitions, etc.). But the older the system gets, the less it attracts hackers. I have a couple of machines running Windows 98SE [!] and no hacker is going to bother with a system that old. Doing so is not cost-effective for the hacker.

Other "updates" from MS may be highly questionable, or even disadvantageous. A few months ago, I had an MS "update" mess with my Windows 7 machine, and make it so that Internet Explorer could no longer download files (.pdf's, .exe's, etc.). I finally had to rebuild my entire User Profile in order to correct this problem. (Diagnosing it was the hard part.)

(That reminds me of an experience I once had with Norton Antivirus. It treated everything with a Greek filename as a virus, and made half my computer unusable. I curse Norton to this very day.)

As long as you're not connected to the Internet (or otherwise networked), you're safe from hackers. My Windows 98SE machines are dedicated to running certain hardware. They're completely quarantined.
Link Posted: 7/29/2015 8:12:45 AM EDT
[#33]
The take away is that they finally fixed the User Interface. 8 and 8.1 are text book bad UI. 10 looks way better.
View Quote

The "fix" for the Windows 7 and 8.1 user interfaces is Classic Shell. I love the Classic Shell, and it's free!
Link Posted: 7/29/2015 8:16:20 AM EDT
[#34]
Does anybody know how to do a fresh install with the 10 upgrade?

I started getting some BSOD on W7 a few weeks ago and would like to have a fresh install.

Link Posted: 7/29/2015 8:25:37 AM EDT
[#35]
Quoted:

There are better 3rd party apps for that like JRiver Media Center so don't let that stop you.
View All Quotes
Quoted:
Quoted:

Does the JRiver support using a cable card and encrypted channels?
Link Posted: 7/29/2015 8:27:57 AM EDT
[#36]
So the wife turned my computer on and it's not downloading. I did reserve my copy a few months ago. Is there something else I'm supposed to do?
Link Posted: 7/29/2015 8:31:33 AM EDT
[#37]
I've got an old Win7 Box that's going to get it, as soon as I have time.  

So, in 3 weeks...  
Link Posted: 7/29/2015 8:33:25 AM EDT
[#38]
Link Posted: 7/29/2015 8:34:05 AM EDT
[#39]
Quoted:
So the wife turned my computer on and it's not downloading. I did reserve my copy a few months ago. Is there something else I'm supposed to do?
View Quote

No. I just checked my windows update and it was showing ready to install.

I'm only doing it on my laptop for now. Want to see how it runs before I put it on my desktop.
Link Posted: 7/29/2015 8:40:20 AM EDT
[#40]
Quoted:

View All Quotes
Quoted:
Quoted:
Quoted:

Looks like it, more info at the link;

Television

JRiver Media Center supports TV tuners from Hauppage, ATI, Aver, and most other manufacturers. You can use the Electronic Program Guide (EPG) to watch live TV or to record or subscribe to your favorite programs.
Link Posted: 7/29/2015 8:42:39 AM EDT
[#41]
I'll install it on my wife's laptop tonight.
Link Posted: 7/29/2015 8:44:10 AM EDT
[#42]
Link Posted: 7/29/2015 8:45:57 AM EDT
[#43]
I've been running it for months.

[cool kids]
Link Posted: 7/29/2015 8:47:05 AM EDT
[#44]
Quoted:

I'm only doing it on my laptop for now. Want to see how it runs before I put it on my desktop.
View All Quotes
Quoted:
Quoted:

Oh, ok so I'll have to do it when I get home. My wife can barely operate her smartphone I'm not about to try and explain how to get to the Windows Update screen in the Control Panel.
Link Posted: 7/29/2015 8:47:20 AM EDT
[#45]
Link Posted: 7/29/2015 8:51:41 AM EDT
[#46]
I remember seeing where you would be able to update even if you didn't have a legitimate copy of windows. Now I'm seeing that you need a product key to upgrade.

Is this the case?
Link Posted: 7/29/2015 9:02:52 AM EDT
[#47]
I tried the technical preview about a month ago and had lots of problems with office docs.  Therefore I can't chance it yet.  I'll wait for the "all clear".
Link Posted: 7/29/2015 9:03:32 AM EDT
[#48]
Does anyone regret upgrading from Windows 7?

I've been a long time user of W7 and love it, never have any issues. I'm worried that I'm going to upgrade and some of my programs won't run or it will suck
Link Posted: 7/29/2015 9:10:09 AM EDT
[#49]
Installing on my Lenovo Yoga 3 14 inch.
I dont have anything of upmost importance installed on it.

Figured I would give it a go.

If not Ill just wipe and got back to 8.1
Link Posted: 7/29/2015 9:11:54 AM EDT
[#50]

Quoted:

Does anyone regret upgrading from Windows 7?

I've been a long time user of W7 and love it, never have any issues. I'm worried that I'm going to upgrade and some of my programs won't run or it will suck
View Quote

They have a compatibility checker before you install.

While its not perfect it will check the apps and programs to make sure they will work.

I would suggest doing a PC cleaning. Get rid of anything you dont need. Back you docs up to a external drive then go for it.

It this is a daily driver then I would wait.

Arrow Left Previous Page
Page / 8
Close Join Our Mail List to Stay Up To Date! Win a FREE Membership!

Sign up for the ARFCOM weekly newsletter and be entered to win a free ARFCOM membership. One new winner* is announced every week!

You will receive an email every Friday morning featuring the latest chatter from the hottest topics, breaking news surrounding legislation, as well as exclusive deals only available to ARFCOM email subscribers.

By signing up you agree to our User Agreement. *Must have a registered ARFCOM account to win.
Top Top