BCM
User Panel

Site Notices
Arrow Left Previous Page
Page / 2
Posted: 7/28/2015 2:32:17 PM EDT
Link Posted: 7/28/2015 2:38:40 PM EDT
[#1]
It wasn't unusual for me to go spend 2-3 days at a time in the woods of my family farm as a kid. Some parents still have faith in their kids not being complete retards.

Shit happens, if they'd been 30 they could still have disappeared or had an accident.
Link Posted: 7/28/2015 2:39:16 PM EDT
[#2]
Same type of "free range" parents  that let their five and six-year-olds walk across town unsupervised by themselves. That's extremely dangerous for 14-year-olds to do by themselves(boating in the ocean).
Link Posted: 7/28/2015 2:39:18 PM EDT
[#3]
We did this already.
Link Posted: 7/28/2015 2:41:29 PM EDT
[#4]
FPNI

I mean, it sucks, but what's the alternative, never doing anything with your life?

A ship in harbor is safe.  But that's not what ships are for.
Link Posted: 7/28/2015 2:42:18 PM EDT
[#5]
Why do you hate freedom?
Link Posted: 7/28/2015 2:43:11 PM EDT
[#6]
Discussion ForumsJump to Quoted PostQuote History
Quoted:
It wasn't unusual for me to go spend 2-3 days at a time in the woods of my family farm as a kid. Some parents still have faith in their kids not being complete retards.

Shit happens, if they'd been 30 they could still have disappeared or had an accident.
View Quote

Yeah my sister and I grew up on a farm and would spend days and evenings exploring the woods at very young age. I don't think I'd let a young child explore the city  by themselves ir unsupervised until they were much older because of the dangers that are in the big city with pedophiles and kidnappers. But I have no problem letting them explore the woods as long as they knew how to use a firearm to defend themselves. Once they're old enough to do that by all means have at it and have fun!
Link Posted: 7/28/2015 2:43:31 PM EDT
[#7]
Quoted:
Same type of "free range" parents  that let their five and six-year-olds walk across town unsupervised by themselves. That's extremely dangerous for 14-year-olds to do by themselves(boating in the ocean).   Parents are fucking idiots that should be charged accordingly.
View Quote

Or, anyone, really.

The ocean is a scary fucking place.  Believe me, I've sailed it.  In a much bigger ship.

I probably wouldn't even try to do what they did.  But you know what?  That doesn't make them stupid.  It makes me a pussy.
Link Posted: 7/28/2015 2:44:10 PM EDT
[#8]
Quoted:
Why do you hate freedom?
View Quote

Why do you hate common sense?
Link Posted: 7/28/2015 2:45:56 PM EDT
[#9]
Quoted:

Or, anyone, really.

The ocean is a scary fucking place.  Believe me, I've sailed it.  In a much bigger ship.

I probably wouldn't even try to do what they did.  But you know what?  That doesn't make them stupid.  It makes me a pussy.
View Quote View All Quotes
View All Quotes
Quoted:
Quoted:
Same type of "free range" parents  that let their five and six-year-olds walk across town unsupervised by themselves. That's extremely dangerous for 14-year-olds to do by themselves(boating in the ocean).   Parents are fucking idiots that should be charged accordingly.

Or, anyone, really.

Most 14-year-olds don't have the skill set or knowledge to cope with most of the emergency situations you can find in the ocean. They paid the ultimate price because of this and if their parents insisted on a little bit more safety they be alive today.
Link Posted: 7/28/2015 2:46:09 PM EDT
[#10]
Quoted:

Yeah my sister and I grew up on a farm and would spend days and evenings exploring the woods at very young age. I don't think I'd let a young child explore the city  by themselves ir unsupervised until they were much older because of the dangers that are in the big city with pedophiles and kidnappers. But I have no problem letting them explore the woods as long as they knew how to use a firearm to defend themselves. Once they're old enough to do that by all means have at it and have fun!
View All Quotes
Quoted:
Quoted:

Oh please. Pedophiles don't hang out on every corner looking to snatch up a kid. Kidnappers are part of the victims family the majority of the time. Your fears are baseless.
Link Posted: 7/28/2015 2:46:15 PM EDT
[#11]
Quoted:

View All Quotes
Quoted:
Quoted:

Thats not even remotely the same situation.

I'm sure lots of us as kids walked or hiked or biked around our local area. Going out on the ocean to go island hopping is an entirely different level of exploring.
Link Posted: 7/28/2015 2:48:51 PM EDT
[#12]

Quoted:
Most 14-year-olds don't have the skill set or knowledge to cope with most of the emergency situations you can find in the ocean. They paid the ultimate price because of this and if their parents insisted on a little bit more safety they be alive today.
View All Quotes
Quoted:

Quoted:

Quoted:

Or, anyone, really.

This is the only problem I have with any of this... The Bahamas are just an afternoon trip from the east coast of Florida.

They should have had EPIRB with them. If you have the money to make boats trips to the Bahamas you have the money for one of those devices. Weather can get "finicky" in the channel there.
Link Posted: 7/28/2015 2:50:23 PM EDT
[#13]
How old was the girl that crossed the ocean by herself?
Link Posted: 7/28/2015 2:53:06 PM EDT
[#14]
Quoted:
View Quote

how does FBHO's cack taste?
Link Posted: 7/28/2015 2:53:50 PM EDT
[#15]
Quoted:

Oh please. Pedophiles don't hang out on every corner looking to snatch up a kid. Kidnappers are part of the victims family the majority of the time. Your fears are baseless.
View All Quotes
Quoted:
Quoted:
Quoted:

So drop your 5 year old off on the street corner and let them walk miles through the city to get home.  Maybe you're right but I used to work for the Center for missing and exploited children for 10 years and dealt with missing kids on a daily basis so maybe I'm a little more sensitive to it.
Link Posted: 7/28/2015 2:55:07 PM EDT
[#16]
Quoted:

View All Quotes
Quoted:
Quoted:

You tell me, asshole...
Link Posted: 7/28/2015 2:55:42 PM EDT
[#17]
Quoted:

View Quote

Exactly!!

I grew up on the Gulf of Mexico spending summer months shrimping and fishing with my Dad and Uncle. I spent a considerable amount of time at the helm of boats 90'-120' in length at an early age.
When I was 14, I was taking my Dad's 42' trawler 30-40 miles out in the Gulf, with teener friends for a crew. I made countless over the weekend trips to the middle grounds before I graduated high school.
Age has nothing to do with ability! Tho I don't think I personally would have tried to run the Bahamas in a 19' boat.
Link Posted: 7/28/2015 2:55:46 PM EDT
[#18]

Quoted:

I'm sure lots of us as kids walked or hiked or biked around our local area. Going out on the ocean to go island hopping is an entirely different level of exploring.
View All Quotes
Quoted:

Quoted:

Quoted:

Kinda what I'm thinking. At 6/8yo my cousins and I would wonder off in the woods for a day or two. We would still only be a mile or two from home.           kids develope at different paces. I dunno about this situation though. I hate the hovering parents and their kids always turn out fucked up in my experiences. Sailing to other countries seems a little much.
Link Posted: 7/28/2015 2:56:05 PM EDT
[#19]
Quoted:
View Quote

I think they have already been punished sufficiently.  
Link Posted: 7/28/2015 2:57:21 PM EDT
[#20]
Quoted:

View All Quotes
Quoted:
Quoted:
Quoted:

It really depends on the individual - I've been sailing boats since I was 7 years old; by the time I was 13, my brother and I had sailed our 16' catamaran all over the Chesapeake and Atlantic coast in all types of weather.  
Link Posted: 7/28/2015 2:59:19 PM EDT
[#21]
Quoted:

View All Quotes
Quoted:
Quoted:

Yeah I think you're right....
Link Posted: 7/28/2015 2:59:32 PM EDT
[#22]
Quoted:

So drop your 5 year old off on the street corner and let them walk miles through the city to get home.  Maybe you're right but I used to work for the Center for missing and exploited children for 10 years and dealt with missing kids on a daily basis so maybe I'm a little more sensitive to it.
View All Quotes
Quoted:
Quoted:
Quoted:
Quoted:

There's a huge difference between a 5 year old and 14 year old. I don't know anyone that lets 5 year olds walk miles alone. I have seen some people let 1st and 2nd graders walk a few blocks from home to school and such.
Link Posted: 7/28/2015 2:59:48 PM EDT
[#23]
Good lord, this country has become so chickified.
Link Posted: 7/28/2015 3:01:05 PM EDT
[#24]
Quoted:

View Quote

You running around in the woods is way different that someone going out into the ocean in a 19 ft boat.

A storm hits while you are out playing in the woods............................you walk home a little wet and mad about your day being cut short.
A storm hits while you are out in the ocean on a 19 ft. boat................you could never come back.
Link Posted: 7/28/2015 3:02:02 PM EDT
[#25]
Quoted:

There's a huge difference between a 5 year old and 14 year old. I don't know anyone that lets 5 year olds walk miles alone. I have seen some people let 1st and 2nd graders walk a few blocks from home to school and such.
View All Quotes
Quoted:
Quoted:
Quoted:
Quoted:
Quoted:

I know I was just referring to the topic that pops up with very young kids walking across town by themselves. I don't think that's appropriate for young kids with some of the dangers that exist in our society today.
Link Posted: 7/28/2015 3:03:05 PM EDT
[#26]
According to the local news, they were (without their parents knowledge or permission) going to run over the the Bahamas.

Link Posted: 7/28/2015 3:05:40 PM EDT
[#27]
Quoted:
According to the local news, they were (without their parents knowledge or permission) going to run over the the Bahamas.
View Quote

Wow! I retract my comment about the parents being punished. Even if they did have knowledge I think they're being punished plenty just based on losing their kids.
Link Posted: 7/28/2015 3:14:30 PM EDT
[#28]
Parents are looking for someone to blame.
Link Posted: 7/28/2015 3:16:38 PM EDT
[#29]
Quoted:

View Quote

Yep. When I was kid, me and my cousin would be gone days at a time in the woods of Northern Ontario. Either in a canoe or 12' aluminum boat.
Link Posted: 7/28/2015 3:18:06 PM EDT
[#30]
Quoted:

You running around in the woods is way different that someone going out into the ocean in a 19 ft boat.

A storm hits while you are out playing in the woods............................you walk home a little wet and mad about your day being cut short.
A storm hits while you are out in the ocean on a 19 ft. boat................you could never come back.
View All Quotes
Quoted:
Quoted:

I could have drowned in a creek, broken a leg and not been able to walk home, fallen in a large sink hole.

There's a million ways you can die every day, you take the precautions you can and then live your life. Sometimes you win, sometimes you lose. But to spend your life petrified of death is a guaranteed way to never live.
Link Posted: 7/28/2015 3:20:32 PM EDT
[#31]
Link Posted: 7/28/2015 3:23:50 PM EDT
[#32]
I was a proficient sailor by the time I was 8. By 14 I could probably have sailed to the Bahamas from Florida.

but then again not everyone is a Viking.
Link Posted: 7/28/2015 3:25:25 PM EDT
[#33]
Quoted:

Exactly!!

I grew up on the Gulf of Mexico spending summer months shrimping and fishing with my Dad and Uncle. I spent a considerable amount of time at the helm of boats 90'-120' in length at an early age.
When I was 14, I was taking my Dad's 42' trawler 30-40 miles out in the Gulf, with teener friends for a crew. I made countless over the weekend trips to the middle grounds before I graduated high school.
Age has nothing to do with ability! Tho I don't think I personally would have tried to run the Bahamas in a 19' boat.
View All Quotes
Quoted:
Quoted:

Exactly!!

Actually age has everything to do with it. Apparently you are still young enough to be blinded by arrogance in your abilities. Fortunately you've never been set straight cause many, like these boys,  end up dead in the process.
Link Posted: 7/28/2015 3:28:11 PM EDT
[#34]
They were not going to the Bahamas.  They were heading in the direction of the Bahamas.  Very different.
Link Posted: 7/28/2015 3:30:20 PM EDT
[#35]
Quoted:

View Quote

I'd be MUCH more comfortable with kids in the woods than on a boat.  They were planning to even leave US waters in a 19' single engine boat.  That's NUTS.

Look at it this way, if you trip in the woods, fall down, bonk your head, and lose consciousness for 15 seconds, you're probably not going to die.  On the water, the odds are MUCH higher even with a life jacket.
Link Posted: 7/28/2015 3:31:58 PM EDT
[#36]
Geeez the nanny here
https://en.m.wikipedia.org/wiki/Calvin_Graham
Link Posted: 7/28/2015 3:34:15 PM EDT
[#37]

Buncha Whiney McSissy boys up in hurr that lived a sheltered life.

Probably thought riding the bus to school was too dangerous and had mom drive and escort you to class

Link Posted: 7/28/2015 3:35:23 PM EDT
[#38]
The FAA says you can solo a glider at age 14.
Link Posted: 7/28/2015 3:35:48 PM EDT
[#39]
Quoted:

Actually age has everything to do with it. Apparently you are still young enough to be blinded by arrogance in your abilities. Fortunately you've never been set straight cause many, like these boys,  end up dead in the process.
View All Quotes
Quoted:
Quoted:
Quoted:

Exactly!!

LOL California, we understand freedom and personal responsibility is foreign to you. My neighbor is 16 and flies his dads cessna in the mountains to go sheep hunting for 4-6 days at a time in butt fuck Alaska, that must be really scarey.
Link Posted: 7/28/2015 3:36:04 PM EDT
[#40]
Quoted:

View Quote

This.
Link Posted: 7/28/2015 3:38:08 PM EDT
[#41]
Quoted:
Same type of "free range" parents  that let their five and six-year-olds walk across town unsupervised by themselves. That's extremely dangerous for 14-year-olds to do by themselves(boating in the ocean).
View Quote

LOL.  Do you still prechew your children's food for them also?
Link Posted: 7/28/2015 3:38:15 PM EDT
[#42]
Quoted:
Good lord, this country has become so chickified.
View Quote

That's a sexist remark.  You can make your point using other words.
Link Posted: 7/28/2015 3:39:53 PM EDT
[#43]
Quoted:

View All Quotes
Quoted:
Quoted:
Quoted:
Quoted:

Nice appeal to authority.  But, in any case, I call bullshit.
Link Posted: 7/28/2015 3:40:27 PM EDT
[#44]
Quoted:

I could have drowned in a creek, broken a leg and not been able to walk home, fallen in a large sink hole.

There's a million ways you can die every day, you take the precautions you can and then live your life. Sometimes you win, sometimes you lose. But to spend your life petrified of death is a guaranteed way to never live.
View All Quotes
Quoted:
Quoted:
Quoted:

If the woods are on your family farm, how much area would your people have to search to find you should you not come back in the expected timeframe or could they hear you scream while doing work around the farm?  How much area are you talking?  Some woods on a farm is a whole lot different than a national forest and the ocean.

I am not saying that people should do what they did, especially at 14....but they damn sure need to take precautions when messing around in the ocean....radios, emergency beacons, monitoring the weather etc..
Link Posted: 7/28/2015 3:42:41 PM EDT
[#45]
Quoted:

You tell me, asshole...
View All Quotes
Quoted:
Quoted:
Quoted:

You tell me, asshole...

COC
Link Posted: 7/28/2015 3:42:56 PM EDT
[#46]
Quoted:

View All Quotes
Quoted:
Quoted:
Quoted:

Exactly!!

And other than the immediate family, on a macro scale, is that a bad thing?  How utterly puissified we have become.  People die all the time pushing the limits.   That is not necessarily a bad thing.   In fact, I would argue that them pushing the limits is a good thing.
Link Posted: 7/28/2015 3:43:01 PM EDT
[#47]
Quoted:

View All Quotes
Quoted:
Quoted:
Quoted:

Exactly!!

Its not arrogance my friend! Its confidence in my abilities due to the seamanship and knowledge that was passed on to me by my Father, Grandfather and Uncle. All of whom spent their entire lives commercial fishing in the Gulf of Mexico and along the eastern Atlantic.
Its most likely these boys did not have a complete understanding of what they were getting into. As I stated previously, "I would not have attempted that crossing in a 19' boat"! But that comes with the 40 years of experience I have on the water.
Link Posted: 7/28/2015 3:43:40 PM EDT
[#48]
Quoted:

If the woods are on your family farm, how much area would your people have to search to find you should you not come back in the expected timeframe or could they hear you scream while doing work around the farm?  How much area are you talking?  Some woods on a farm is a whole lot different than a national forest and the ocean.

I am not saying that people should do what they did....but they damn sure need to take precautions when messing around in the ocean....radios, emergency beacons, monitoring the weather etc..
View All Quotes
Quoted:
Quoted:
Quoted:
Quoted:

I am not saying that people should do what they did....but they damn sure need to take precautions when messing around in the ocean....radios, emergency beacons, monitoring the weather etc..

We don't own as much land now, but when I was 14 we owned 1500 acres, but again, it would probably be Sunday afternoon before anyone thought to come look for me. Depending on when something happened, that could be a death sentence.

My point is shit happens. Yes the ocean is more dangerous, they made a choice. They could have just as easily made it home safe and sound, but they got hit with some bad luck.
Link Posted: 7/28/2015 3:45:09 PM EDT
[#49]
When I lived in Melbourne, our JetSki club would regularly take trips to the Bahamas (with a chase boat or two)
It wasn't that bad of a trip honestly.  I wouldn't do it this time of year because of the weather every day.
Link Posted: 7/28/2015 3:45:20 PM EDT
[#50]
Quoted:

LOL California, we understand freedom and personal responsibility is foreign to you. My neighbor is 16 and flies his dads cessna in the mountains to go sheep hunting for 4-6 days at a time in butt fuck Alaska, that must be really scarey.
View Quote

I'm not sure what my state of residency has to do with anything, so I'll assume you are incapable of forming an intelligent response to what I said but were too uncivilized to simply not say anything at all.
Arrow Left Previous Page
Page / 2
Close Join Our Mail List to Stay Up To Date! Win a FREE Membership!

Sign up for the ARFCOM weekly newsletter and be entered to win a free ARFCOM membership. One new winner* is announced every week!

You will receive an email every Friday morning featuring the latest chatter from the hottest topics, breaking news surrounding legislation, as well as exclusive deals only available to ARFCOM email subscribers.

By signing up you agree to our User Agreement. *Must have a registered ARFCOM account to win.
Top Top