Confirm Action

Are you sure you wish to do this?

Confirm Cancel
BCM
User Panel

Arrow Left Previous Page
Page / 14
Posted: 7/25/2015 10:42:05 AM EDT
Run, pull-ups, push-ups, and eat fairly well.
Link Posted: 7/25/2015 10:42:40 AM EDT
[#1]
FPNI
Link Posted: 7/25/2015 10:42:57 AM EDT
[#2]
ok.
Link Posted: 7/25/2015 10:43:23 AM EDT
[#3]
Ain't  nobody got time fo that.
Link Posted: 7/25/2015 10:43:48 AM EDT
[#4]
Hmmm, what does it get me if I just do one of those four?  
Link Posted: 7/25/2015 10:43:54 AM EDT
[#5]
True?

But weight lifting companies and gyms and supplement companies wouldn't want that secret to get out.
Link Posted: 7/25/2015 10:44:20 AM EDT
[#6]
You're assuming we can do pull ups to begin with
Link Posted: 7/25/2015 10:44:28 AM EDT
[#7]
I don't need? or You don't need?
Link Posted: 7/25/2015 10:45:03 AM EDT
[#8]
Discussion ForumsJump to Quoted PostQuote History
Quoted:
View Quote

Link Posted: 7/25/2015 10:45:51 AM EDT
[#9]
More protein, less soda, chips and garbage, lift heavy things.

My formula is kettlebells + ON Whey - garbage food = I don't look like a slob.
Link Posted: 7/25/2015 10:46:39 AM EDT
[#10]
Quoted:
View Quote

So... essentially you're not ripped because you don't even lift, bro.

ponchsox/hammermill thread
View Quote
Link Posted: 7/25/2015 10:47:15 AM EDT
[#11]
Add squats to that.  If bodyweight squats, do them till you fall over.
Link Posted: 7/25/2015 10:48:13 AM EDT
[#12]
Of course not:  just look at marathon runners.
Link Posted: 7/25/2015 10:48:17 AM EDT
[#13]
You might be lean but you will still be weak.
Link Posted: 7/25/2015 10:50:31 AM EDT
[#14]
Quoted:
View Quote

You can build a lot of muscle using your own body weight, that's my point.
Link Posted: 7/25/2015 10:51:12 AM EDT
[#15]
What about that one weird food with the photo of some weird fruit.  Or the one weird trick with the finger with some type of grease smudged on it.  They both said they are secrets to losing weight.
Link Posted: 7/25/2015 10:53:01 AM EDT
[#16]
I've known a couple professional body builders (male and female) and they've all told me that being ripped (for shows) is usually due to dehydration and meticulous attention to diet.
Link Posted: 7/25/2015 10:53:25 AM EDT
[#17]
Quoted:
View Quote

For anything practical in life, running, pull ups and push ups will make you stronger than 97% of the population.

Lifting weights and getting stronger with that only makes you stronger at lifting weights which will give you a 1% advantage over the push up guy.

and usually, the push up guy will have less injuries to contend with and will likely be more flexible and agile.
Link Posted: 7/25/2015 10:54:21 AM EDT
[#18]
Quoted:

View Quote View All Quotes
View All Quotes
Quoted:
Quoted:

We have different definitions of "a lot." Your body will adapt fairly quickly to body weight exercises. Without progressive overload, you won't be getting stronger once the initial adaptation period is complete.
Link Posted: 7/25/2015 10:56:20 AM EDT
[#19]
Quoted:

For anything practical in life, running, pull ups and push ups will make you stronger than 97% of the population.

Lifting weights and getting stronger with that only makes you stronger at lifting weights which will give you a 1% advantage over the push up guy.

and usually, the push up guy will have less injuries to contend with and will likely be more flexible and agile.
View All Quotes
Quoted:
Quoted:

I am plenty flexible and agile. While I have been fortunate to escape major lifting injuries, I accept the risk versus the reward. Being weaker than 3% of the population isn't enough.

Oh, my last "injury" was shoulder tendonitis doing high rep push-ups.

ETA: I think you're generous with your 97% number.
Link Posted: 7/25/2015 10:57:49 AM EDT
[#20]
Quoted:
View Quote

Yes... It's possible do a fairly decent body-weight workout.

Stop the presses.  
Link Posted: 7/25/2015 10:59:47 AM EDT
[#21]
Quoted:
View Quote

Yup, everyone needs some kind of exercise like squats. Something to work your hips and legs more than just running.

Link Posted: 7/25/2015 11:01:33 AM EDT
[#22]

Quoted:
View All Quotes
Quoted:

Quoted:

Depends on one's definition of "ripped."

I was a 300 PFT'r for years, close to 30 pullups with a 17-minute 3-mile, but I sure as shit wasn't ripped.

Link Posted: 7/25/2015 11:02:54 AM EDT
[#23]
Quoted:

View All Quotes
Quoted:
Quoted:

Body builders and powerlifters are some of the most flexible people I've ever met. They have to be to maintain correct form. meanwhile running, push ups, and pull ups do nothing to improve flexibility.

That being said, just push ups, pull ups, and running will leave you with a lot of muscular imbalances and relatively shitty physique compared to someone who busts their ass in the gym.
Link Posted: 7/25/2015 11:04:16 AM EDT
[#24]
This guy was extremely strong for all things practical. (besides fighting) he may have lifed weights in the gym, but not the same as a "body builder" does and Lee could actually achieve the same physique with body weight techniques.

This guy is stronger yes, but not as agile, (usually) has more joint injuries (usually) and while strong, could not do most of the physical things that Lee could (fighting skill not withstanding)
(difficult to find a pic that wasn't gay oriented, sorry)

The body builder looks great, but he's like a built '70 Cuda with a 440 hemi, and the body weight athlete is like a road track race car... the track car having the edge on agility and usefulness, the Hemi Cuda having the raw power advantage.

Link Posted: 7/25/2015 11:05:03 AM EDT
[#25]
Quoted:
Of course not:  just look at marathon runners.
View Quote

Yeah, but they look like they just escaped from a concentration camp usually.
Link Posted: 7/25/2015 11:06:03 AM EDT
[#26]
People in prison disagree with you. Eating healthy is not necessary
Link Posted: 7/25/2015 11:07:01 AM EDT
[#27]
Quoted:
View Quote

This.

LOL.

Do you even deadlift and squat, bro?
Link Posted: 7/25/2015 11:09:43 AM EDT
[#28]
Do you even lift, bro?

Pushups and running are great, but if your goal is to get stronger, you'll need to pick things up and put them down.  You aren't gaining enough strength with jogging to load a moving truck, or to haul a washing machine up three flights of stairs.  Not everyone is going to be a powerlifter with a 2500 lb total, but don't discount what an Olympic bar, some weights and some sweat will get you.
Link Posted: 7/25/2015 11:10:38 AM EDT
[#29]
Quoted:

Yup, everyone needs some kind of exercise like squats. Something to work your hips and legs more than just running.

View All Quotes
Quoted:
Quoted:

I do high intensity stair stepper for 15 min 3x a week. It seems to do the trick.

Now I'm not suggesting it's a substitute for squats, but you definitely strengthen your lower half this way.
Link Posted: 7/25/2015 11:12:17 AM EDT
[#30]
Is op phishing for requests to post pics so he can show off his bod?
Link Posted: 7/25/2015 11:13:08 AM EDT
[#31]
Quoted:
Do you even lift, bro?

Pushups and running are great, but if your goal is to get stronger, you'll need to pick things up and put them down.  You aren't gaining enough strength with jogging to load a moving truck, or to haul a washing machine up three flights of stairs.  Not everyone is going to be a powerlifter with a 2500 lb total, but don't discount what an Olympic bar, some weights and some sweat will get you.
View Quote

I have lifted in the past I've built my physique doing mainly those 3 things. I realize I will plateau with my body weight but my goal is not to get huge, rather stay fairly lean with some muscle. I'm actually surprised how big I've gotten without weights.
Link Posted: 7/25/2015 11:13:09 AM EDT
[#32]
I dont know what you consider "ripped", but chances are you will be disappointed unless you start lifting heavy and taking a multi.
Link Posted: 7/25/2015 11:13:16 AM EDT
[#33]
Quoted:

View All Quotes
Quoted:
Quoted:

What does running do to your knees?
Link Posted: 7/25/2015 11:13:31 AM EDT
[#34]
Jerking off dudes would be a good arm workout but ill stick with barbell curls.
Link Posted: 7/25/2015 11:14:03 AM EDT
[#35]
Quoted:
This guy was extremely strong for all things practical. (besides fighting) he may have lifed weights in the gym, but not the same as a "body builder" does and Lee could actually achieve the same physique with body weight techniques.
http://iambruceleemovie.com/wp-content/uploads/2015/04/brucelee.jpg

This guy is stronger yes, but not as agile, (usually) has more joint injuries (usually) and while strong, could not do most of the physical things that Lee could (fighting skill not withstanding)
http://webneel.com/daily/sites/default/files/images/daily/08-2013/7-bodybuilder-cg-character-by-tsvetomir-georgiev.jpg (difficult to find a pic that wasn't gay oriented, sorry)

The body builder looks great, but he's like a built '70 Cuda with a 440 hemi, and the body weight athlete is like a road track race car... the track car having the edge on agility and usefulness, the Hemi Cuda having the raw power advantage.

View Quote

You understand what YOU consider useful isn't what everyone else consider useful? Some people need raw power, some people need "agility" (though that's training, and BB/PLers can be incredible agile as well)
Link Posted: 7/25/2015 11:14:07 AM EDT
[#36]
Quoted:

View Quote

Bruce Lee was a huge proponent of weight lifting.
Link Posted: 7/25/2015 11:14:27 AM EDT
[#37]
Quoted:
I dont know what you consider "ripped", but chances are you will be disappointed unless you start lifting heavy and taking a multi.
View Quote

Good luck with your fitness goals in 2011!
Link Posted: 7/25/2015 11:14:46 AM EDT
[#38]

Quoted:

View Quote
and that there celltech

Link Posted: 7/25/2015 11:14:47 AM EDT
[#39]
Quoted:
Do you even lift, bro?

View Quote

Bull fucking shit.

I worked as a mover for 5 years for Bekins and United Van Lines.

I moved Piano's and refrigerators up and down stairs and worked 10 hour days loading trucks (and then driving them) and I was 175- 180 lbs and skinny, strong)

It's technique and intelligence that will get you through 90% of lifes activities.

We had large muscle guys work for us, they would gas out after about 3 hours of real work., then be useless the rest of the day.
Link Posted: 7/25/2015 11:15:02 AM EDT
[#40]
Quoted:
View Quote

I'm not trying to toot my own horn but I have a better physique than a lot of people I see lifting regularly at the gym. That's probably due to diet and they fact they don't do any cardio.
Link Posted: 7/25/2015 11:15:41 AM EDT
[#41]

Quoted:

http://webneel.com/daily/sites/default/files/images/daily/08-2013/7-bodybuilder-cg-character-by-tsvetomir-georgiev.jpg (difficult to find a pic that wasn't gay oriented, sorry)

View Quote
Bruce was a large fan of lifting weights.

Link Posted: 7/25/2015 11:15:55 AM EDT
[#42]
Quoted:

View All Quotes
Quoted:
Quoted:
Quoted:

For me and a tread mill, my knees are 100%

Running on the street is hard on the knees.
Link Posted: 7/25/2015 11:16:06 AM EDT
[#43]
your wrong

I used to run 25 miles a week and do 200-250 push up& situps every day.  I never got ripped.  infact after a few years of doing it I was just maintaining  some will never have the metabolism to get truly ripped. but I think weights are required to get close.& running is the worst thing you can do it is terrible for your back, knees, and joints, n\biking or swimming is far better
Link Posted: 7/25/2015 11:16:29 AM EDT
[#44]
Quoted:

I'm not trying to toot my own horn but I have a better physique than a lot of people I see lifting regularly at the gym. That's probably due to diet.
View All Quotes
Quoted:
Quoted:

I'm not trying to toot my own horn but I have a better physique than a lot of people I see lifting regularly at the gym. That's probably due to diet.

So you could or could not take a full power shot from squatdog?
Link Posted: 7/25/2015 11:16:37 AM EDT
[#45]
Quoted:
your wrong

I used to run 25 miles a week and do 200-250 push up& situps every day.  I never got ripped.  infact after a few years of doing it I was just maintaining  some will never have the metabolism to get truly ripped. but I think weights are required to get close.
View Quote

YRMV
Link Posted: 7/25/2015 11:16:56 AM EDT
[#46]

Quoted:

View All Quotes
Quoted:

Quoted:

Quoted:

Quoted:

try sprints instead

Link Posted: 7/25/2015 11:17:07 AM EDT
[#47]
What do you mean by ripped?  12% body fat?  Sure, yeah, absolutely.  That's diet and cardio.

Or do you mean get big?

Because you get big by eating shitloads of protein and doing max effort compound lifts.

And the only way to get both is to do one and then the other.
Link Posted: 7/25/2015 11:17:41 AM EDT
[#48]
Quoted:

I'm not trying to toot my own horn.
View All Quotes
Quoted:
Quoted:

I'm not trying to toot my own horn.

Yes you are, you're constantly seeking approval from strangers on the internet with you threads. Good lord, in the short time I've been here, you might rival hammermill from the amount of threads started. Where his is nonsense, yours is usually about yourself/dating issues.
Link Posted: 7/25/2015 11:17:48 AM EDT
[#49]
Quoted:
your wrong

I used to run 25 miles a week and do 200-250 push up& situps every day.  I never got ripped.  infact after a few years of doing it I was just maintaining  some will never have the metabolism to get truly ripped. but I think weights are required to get close.
View Quote

Diet > training.

Being lean is a function of diet and nutrition. Gaining muscle mass is a function of resistance training and diet/nutrition.
Link Posted: 7/25/2015 11:19:43 AM EDT
[#50]
Quoted:

Bull fucking shit.

I moved Piano's and refrigerators up and down stairs and worked 10 hour days loading trucks (and then driving them) and I was 175- 180 lbs and skinny, strong)

It's technique and intelligence that will get you through 90% of lifes activities.

We had large muscle guys work for us, they would gas out after about 3 hours of real work., then be useless the rest of the day.
View All Quotes
Quoted:
Quoted:
Do you even lift, bro?

Bull fucking shit.

Large muscle guys like to skip cardio, so they gas.  A few times I've helped friends move, I've never once thought that spending less time in the gym would have been beneficial to me in that scenario.  Actually, I've never encountered a scenario where being weaker would have helped me.
But, I've never been a professional mover.
Arrow Left Previous Page
Page / 14
Close Join Our Mail List to Stay Up To Date! Win a FREE Membership!

Sign up for the ARFCOM weekly newsletter and be entered to win a free ARFCOM membership. One new winner* is announced every week!

You will receive an email every Friday morning featuring the latest chatter from the hottest topics, breaking news surrounding legislation, as well as exclusive deals only available to ARFCOM email subscribers.

By signing up you agree to our User Agreement. *Must have a registered ARFCOM account to win.
Top Top