Confirm Cancel
BCM
User Panel

Site Notices
Arrow Left Previous Page
Page / 5
Posted: 7/17/2015 10:06:10 AM EDT
Source

"The inadequate restraint of five large mine-resistant military vehicles being carried as cargo in a National Airlines B747 was the cause of a fiery crash shortly after takeoff from Bagram Airbase in Afghanistan in April 2013, the NTSB said in its probable-cause meeting on Tuesday. All seven crew members died in the crash. At least one of the vehicles moved rearward as the aircraft climbed from the runway, crippling key hydraulic systems and damaging the horizontal stabilizer, rendering the aircraft uncontrollable, the NTSB said. The safety board also said the FAA's inadequate oversight of National Airlines' cargo operation was a contributing factor in the accident."

Link Posted: 7/17/2015 10:08:06 AM EDT
[#1]

Link Posted: 7/17/2015 10:13:16 AM EDT
[#2]
I can't imagine the horrifying feeling of those on board that rode it in that day.
Link Posted: 7/17/2015 10:14:46 AM EDT
[#3]
This video always gets me a bit teary-eyed.

Link Posted: 7/17/2015 10:16:35 AM EDT
[#4]
Someone here was theorizing that it had something to do with a ton of weight going all the way aft during take off. I guess they were right.

Really must have sucked to be in the cockpit on take off and have no control over your aircrafts pitch.
Link Posted: 7/17/2015 10:17:40 AM EDT
[#5]
It makes me appreciate the good job done by the guys loading the mil birds I have flown in.  
Link Posted: 7/17/2015 10:19:16 AM EDT
[#6]
Haven't watched that video in a while... Damn that must have been horrible to be in that plane.
Link Posted: 7/17/2015 10:19:46 AM EDT
[#7]
Discussion ForumsJump to Quoted PostQuote History
Quoted:
Someone here was theorizing that it had something to do with a ton of weight going all the way aft during take off. I guess they were right.

Really must have sucked to be in the cockpit on take off and have no control over your aircrafts pitch.
View Quote

there's a saying in the RC airplane hobby about where to set your cg for a maiden flight, being that you're not sure how the thing flies yet: "a nose heavy plane will fly poorly, and tail heavy plane will fly once"

must have been an excruciating couple of seconds before impact.  luckily they wouldn't have been alive long enough to feel the fire.
Link Posted: 7/17/2015 10:20:17 AM EDT
[#8]
Quoted:

View Quote

I don't know if I commented on it then but the pitch up does support that notion.   What is new information is the damage to the control systems.   I have not read the full report and question whether recovery was possible even without the control system damage.  

Once you get a huge center of gravity shift beyond the ability of the elevator to control it, you are along for the ride an inevitable impact with Earth.
Link Posted: 7/17/2015 10:21:18 AM EDT
[#9]
A costly mistake.

Complacency has no place in air ops.
Link Posted: 7/17/2015 10:24:24 AM EDT
[#10]
Quoted:

Once you get a huge center of gravity shift beyond the ability of the elevator to control it, you are along for the ride an inevitable impact with Earth.
View Quote

yep, had it happened in flight, with enough airspeed and altitude (and no damage to the control systems) they might have been able to control it enough to get the situation under control.
Link Posted: 7/17/2015 10:29:20 AM EDT
[#11]
That was a bad day. I was working at the passenger terminal when it went down. Shook our building and we all ran out to see what the hell had happened. Then came the announcement over comms that a 747 had gone down. Not 30 minutes later the Taliban was claiming they had shot it down. I had all kinds of people running up to me asking if their people were on the jet.

BGen Gustella (the base commander) was pissed as fuck when he found out about the vid being posted, and ordered a 72 hour com blackout. No websites outside of .mil sites were able to be visited.

Thankfully (silver lining for me here) none of my guys laid a hand on that jet. It was all contractors.
Link Posted: 7/17/2015 10:37:28 AM EDT
[#12]
Confused by the "inadequate restraint" comment.

IIRC, this thing was strapped down...not restrained with chains.  Did a strap break, followed by others in a zipper effect?

Should have been chained down with the parking brake set.

Link Posted: 7/17/2015 10:48:57 AM EDT
[#13]
I just downloaded and scanned through the synopsis of the NTSB report and a center of gravity problem appears to not be the cause of the crash, rather it was the damage to the control system that rendered pitch control impossible.

"The airplane’s loss of pitch control was the result of the improper restraint of the rear mine-resistant ambush-protected all-terrain vehicle, which allowed it to move aft through the aft pressure bulkhead and damage hydraulic systems Nos. 1 and 2 and horizontal stabilizer drive mechanism components to the extent that it was not possible for the flight crew to regain pitch control of the airplane."
Link Posted: 7/17/2015 10:52:42 AM EDT
[#14]
Quoted:

IIRC, this thing was strapped down...not restrained with chains.  Did a strap break, followed by others in a zipper effect?

View Quote

Can't chain vehicles to 747 deck due to lack of D rings. Cargo straps are only rated to 5k each.

Yes, one broke on the previous flight and was actually pointed out. Loadmaster did nothing about it.
Link Posted: 7/17/2015 10:56:43 AM EDT
[#15]
Contractors?

Was it "local" contractors or guys from the US?
Link Posted: 7/17/2015 10:58:50 AM EDT
[#16]
Quoted:

Can't chain vehicles to 747 deck due to lack of D rings. Cargo straps are only rated to 5k each.

Yes, one broke on the previous flight and was actually pointed out. Loadmaster did nothing about it.
View Quote View All Quotes
View All Quotes
Quoted:
Quoted:

Will there be or have there been repercussions to the Loadmaster?
Link Posted: 7/17/2015 11:00:09 AM EDT
[#17]
Quoted:

View All Quotes
Quoted:
Quoted:

Who made the decision to move those MRAPs on a commercial cargo plane rather than a military transport? If they knew that the lack of proper tie downs on the 747B, why did they still decided to move those vehicles???

Now you have the loss of not only the crew, but of the aircraft and the cargo. Someone messed up BIG TIME.
Link Posted: 7/17/2015 11:00:22 AM EDT
[#18]
Quoted:
Contractors?

View Quote

US contractors. We're not going to let some 3rd country asswipe near our jets, not even to clean the shitters.

These dudes worked for National Air. We heard rumors right after it happened that DHL loaded the jet, but I don't think that was ever confirmed.
Link Posted: 7/17/2015 11:00:45 AM EDT
[#19]
Quoted:

View All Quotes
Quoted:
Quoted:
Quoted:

I suspect that he died in the crash.

"All seven crewmembers—the captain, first officer, loadmaster, augmented captain and first officer, and two mechanics—died, and the airplane was destroyed from impact forces and postcrash fire."
Link Posted: 7/17/2015 11:00:55 AM EDT
[#20]
Quoted:

View All Quotes
Quoted:
Quoted:
Quoted:

Yea. the jet he was on nosedi ved into the earth at a couple hundred miles per hour
Link Posted: 7/17/2015 11:02:11 AM EDT
[#21]
Quoted:

View All Quotes
Quoted:
Quoted:

So what were the straps attached to?

Link Posted: 7/17/2015 11:03:32 AM EDT
[#22]
Quoted:

Who made the decision to move those MRAPs on a commercial cargo plane rather than a military transport? If they knew that the lack of proper tie downs on the 747B, why did they still decided to move those vehicles???

Now you have the loss of not only the crew, but of the aircraft and the cargo. Someone messed up BIG TIME.
View All Quotes
Quoted:
Quoted:
Quoted:

DOD/TRANSCOM. It was a contracted flight. We had cargo, they had the plane. The people who staged the cargo refer to the air carriers capabilities to determine if it's flyable. Nat'l Air said they could do it. Turned out they were wrong.
Link Posted: 7/17/2015 11:04:18 AM EDT
[#23]
Quoted:

View All Quotes
Quoted:
Quoted:

Yes, no chains allowed on Boeings is correct. The vehicles are chained to the pallets, then the pallets are restrained with a shit ton of straps. I think back and seem to remember talk of there being an inadequate number of straps found in the wreck. Strap buckles really. We have some guys from National working where I work now, and that was an issue that got mentioned a lot.

I posted a picture of how they get secured on the old thread here. I dont think I have it on this computer anymore.

Caver, yes, I think a zipper effect would be accurate, then an unrestrained pallet and vehicle went thru the aft bulkhead and into the rudder and stab hydraulic packs.
Link Posted: 7/17/2015 11:04:20 AM EDT
[#24]
Quoted:

View All Quotes
Quoted:
Quoted:
Quoted:

cookie sheet pallets.

here's the floor. See those things in the middle? Those are the pallet rails. The floor is made of fiberglass.

Link Posted: 7/17/2015 11:07:23 AM EDT
[#25]
This is probably what it looked like on the inside

The rings on the side are the ONLY source of tie down points on the jet that i'm aware of. They're not rated for much.

Link Posted: 7/17/2015 11:08:23 AM EDT
[#26]
Quoted:

DOD/TRANSCOM. It was a contracted flight. We had cargo, they had the plane. The people who staged the cargo refer to the air carriers capabilities to determine if it's flyable. Nat'l Air said they could do it. Turned out they were wrong.
View All Quotes
Quoted:
Quoted:
Quoted:
Quoted:

SMDH.
Link Posted: 7/17/2015 11:09:58 AM EDT
[#27]
Quoted:

US contractors. We're not going to let some 3rd country asswipe near our jets, not even to clean the shitters.

These dudes worked for National Air. We heard rumors right after it happened that DHL loaded the jet, but I don't think that was ever confirmed.
View All Quotes
Quoted:
Quoted:
Contractors?

The sad thing is how many U.S. commercial carriers have moved offshore to service their aircraft.

Posted Via AR15.Com Mobile
Link Posted: 7/17/2015 11:11:02 AM EDT
[#28]
Load shift.  Not as uncommon as you would imagine and dangerous as hell.
Link Posted: 7/17/2015 11:12:24 AM EDT
[#29]
Quoted:

View All Quotes
Quoted:
Quoted:
Quoted:

Well, we took all those mraps into the area. Contractor flights I mean, not just my company, but a combo of all the 747 contractors.

There is no lack of tie downs on a 747. We just dont use chains as they have no give and will damage the the D rings. The key in this crash was not enough proper straps were available.
Link Posted: 7/17/2015 11:14:25 AM EDT
[#30]
Quoted:
View Quote

Might be common on civilian aircraft, but I rarely heard of it happening in the AF and never had it happen to me in 15 years.

Link Posted: 7/17/2015 11:14:27 AM EDT
[#31]
Quoted:
This is probably what it looked like on the inside

http://s7.postimg.org/tjj48000b/100113_F_0571_C_004.jpg

The rings on the side are the ONLY source of tie down points on the jet that i'm aware of. They're not rated for much.

http://i1150.photobucket.com/albums/o618/Mti1Wg/DSC_0091_zps56172ba8.jpeg
View Quote

That second pic was mine from the old thread.
Link Posted: 7/17/2015 11:17:16 AM EDT
[#32]
Quoted:

Might be common on civilian aircraft, but I rarely heard of it happening in the AF and never had it happen to me in 15 years.

View All Quotes
Quoted:
Quoted:

VACaver, it's not common.

When you getting back to loadsmashing? We could use the help.
Link Posted: 7/17/2015 11:17:17 AM EDT
[#33]
Quoted:
SMDH.
View Quote

Also, 747s can carry a fuckton more than even a C5. C5 have 36 pallet positions, 747s have 42.

Fun fact: There's also an MOU that DOD has with various civilian carriers (called CRAF). During war time we can call on civilian airlines to move our cargo/passengers if needed. Remember in Jarhead, the scene with all the civilian 747s off loading passengers? That's CRAF.
Link Posted: 7/17/2015 11:21:14 AM EDT
[#34]
Here's a C17 cargo floor. Those are the D rings that are normally needed for heavy vehicles. They're rated at 25,000 lbs each.

Link Posted: 7/17/2015 11:27:01 AM EDT
[#35]
I'm learning a lot in this thread.  I'll probably never need the information, but I still appreciate the info.  
Link Posted: 7/17/2015 11:28:25 AM EDT
[#36]
I would hate to be the guy who loaded those vehicles, that would haunt me for life.
Link Posted: 7/17/2015 11:29:13 AM EDT
[#37]
In a former life I was the owner of a towing company.  People don't understand why I get upset when

I see a flatbed with the winch and one chain the only thing holding a vehicle in place.  Usually nothing

happens, until it does.  Sad. Would have thought aircraft ops would leave no room for this.
Link Posted: 7/17/2015 11:29:14 AM EDT
[#38]
Holy shit, 5 mraps sliding back will fuck up anyones day... probably even if there was no hydraulic damage.
Link Posted: 7/17/2015 11:29:38 AM EDT
[#39]

Quoted:

Here's a C17 cargo floor. Those are the D rings that are normally needed for heavy vehicles. They're rated at 25,000 lbs each.

http://s27.postimg.org/i7ky0py6b/ers.jpg

View Quote

That's a really cool picture.

Link Posted: 7/17/2015 11:30:13 AM EDT
[#40]
Quoted:

View All Quotes
Quoted:
Quoted:
Quoted:

Pretty sure he was on board.
Link Posted: 7/17/2015 11:37:04 AM EDT
[#41]
Quoted:

View All Quotes
Quoted:
Quoted:
Quoted:

You guys are hiring?  Shoot me an IM with contact info.  Thanks.
Link Posted: 7/17/2015 11:39:44 AM EDT
[#42]
Quoted:
That was a bad day. I was working at the passenger terminal when it went down. Shook our building and we all ran out to see what the hell had happened. Then came the announcement over comms that a 747 had gone down. Not 30 minutes later the Taliban was claiming they had shot it down. I had all kinds of people running up to me asking if their people were on the jet.

BGen Gustella (the base commander) was pissed as fuck when he found out about the vid being posted, and ordered a 72 hour com blackout. No websites outside of .mil sites were able to be visited.

Thankfully (silver lining for me here) none of my guys laid a hand on that jet. It was all contractors.
View Quote

The blackout didn't go into effect for almost 3 hours IIRC. That always struck me as odd.

It was a shitty day.
Link Posted: 7/17/2015 11:45:24 AM EDT
[#43]
Quoted:
I would hate to be the guy who loaded those vehicles, that would haunt me for life.
View Quote

Probably not, considering he probably died aboard the plane.
Link Posted: 7/17/2015 11:47:02 AM EDT
[#44]
Quoted:

Also, 747s can carry a fuckton more than even a C5. C5 have 36 pallet positions, 747s have 42.

Fun fact: There's also an MOU that DOD has with various civilian carriers (called CRAF). During war time we can call on civilian airlines to move our cargo/passengers if needed. Remember in Jarhead, the scene with all the civilian 747s off loading passengers? That's CRAF.
View All Quotes
Quoted:
Quoted:
SMDH.

I understand that, but MRAPs are NOT the same as a load of ammunition or MREs; you can tie down a load of MREs with 5k rated straps and off you go; MRAPs (depending on what vehicle it is) is a much different beast to load. Granted, my knowledge of cargo operations is limited to VERY LIMITED (10 level) railhead ops for a lowly former 92Y like myself.

Link Posted: 7/17/2015 11:50:00 AM EDT
[#45]
Link Posted: 7/17/2015 11:51:37 AM EDT
[#46]
I have always thought about cargo issues on commercial flights....ever seen what is loaded on some of the international wide bodies?   I just hope everything is tied down...
Link Posted: 7/17/2015 11:52:57 AM EDT
[#47]
I remember there was a ton of talk about load shifting.  Those cargo strap pictures look incredibly scary.
Link Posted: 7/17/2015 11:53:48 AM EDT
[#48]
The load shift findings are to be expected, but I was not expecting the elevator damage and subsequent pitch control issues.
Link Posted: 7/17/2015 11:54:21 AM EDT
[#49]
Quoted:

View Quote

This.

I've been on small commuter aircraft where they tell people to move seats to redistribute the weight to keep from being ass or nose heavy... or for assholes not lining up in the back of the plane by the bathroom.
Link Posted: 7/17/2015 11:55:29 AM EDT
[#50]
Quoted:
I can't imagine the horrifying feeling of those on board that rode it in that day.
View Quote

This

Arrow Left Previous Page
Page / 5
Close Join Our Mail List to Stay Up To Date! Win a FREE Membership!

Sign up for the ARFCOM weekly newsletter and be entered to win a free ARFCOM membership. One new winner* is announced every week!

You will receive an email every Friday morning featuring the latest chatter from the hottest topics, breaking news surrounding legislation, as well as exclusive deals only available to ARFCOM email subscribers.

By signing up you agree to our User Agreement. *Must have a registered ARFCOM account to win.
Top Top