Are you sure you wish to do this?

Confirm Cancel
BCM
User Panel

Site Notices
Arrow Left Previous Page
Page / 2
Posted: 7/5/2015 9:41:26 PM EDT
Any horror stories involved with that? I can't quite recall. Anyone done it?

For the record, I've flown with a gun numerous times and know the procedures, and also know that legally I can do it. I'm asking more about reality.
Link Posted: 7/5/2015 9:42:34 PM EDT
[#1]

They're gonna fuck you unless you REFUSE to take possession of any luggage with a gun in it. Don't even touch it.

Link Posted: 7/5/2015 9:42:59 PM EDT
[#2]
Your angus.

Pepper it.
Link Posted: 7/5/2015 9:43:07 PM EDT
[#3]
Don't
Link Posted: 7/5/2015 9:43:41 PM EDT
[#4]
Discussion ForumsJump to Quoted PostQuote History
Quoted:

They're gonna fuck you.

View Quote

Is that a GD response or a serious "Don't do it!"?
Link Posted: 7/5/2015 9:44:16 PM EDT
[#5]
Quoted:
Any horror stories involved with that? I can't quite recall. Anyone done it?

For the record, I've flown with a gun numerous times and know the procedures, and also know that legally I can do it. I'm asking more about reality.
View Quote

Yours might be the latest one.
Link Posted: 7/5/2015 9:44:27 PM EDT
[#6]
Quoted:

View Quote View All Quotes
View All Quotes
Quoted:
Quoted:

They're gonna fuck you.

Dead serious. See my edited advice.

They would be only too happy to make an example of you.

Link Posted: 7/5/2015 9:44:37 PM EDT
[#7]
How longs your layover?
Link Posted: 7/5/2015 9:45:59 PM EDT
[#8]
In theory, you are fine so long as the gun is legal where you are traveling to.

In practice, there is no way in hell I would risk it.  
Link Posted: 7/5/2015 9:46:08 PM EDT
[#9]
If you don't have to pick-up your luggage you should be ok. How long is the lay over? Got insurance, right?
Link Posted: 7/5/2015 9:46:14 PM EDT
[#10]
Quoted:

They're gonna fuck you unless you REFUSE to take possession of any luggage with a gun in it. Don't even touch it.

View Quote

This.

I think i remember reading about people getting arrested for doing something like that, because they didn't have a permit to possess it or some shit.
Link Posted: 7/5/2015 9:47:45 PM EDT
[#11]
Quoted:

View Quote

I do understand that in the event of a cancellation I would have to refuse to take posession. But to calrify, you strongly advise against it anyways?
Link Posted: 7/5/2015 9:48:22 PM EDT
[#12]
Quoted:
How longs your layover?
View Quote

Little over 2 hours.
Link Posted: 7/5/2015 9:48:33 PM EDT
[#13]
No way in hell I would touch my bag.  Even if someone else took it off the carousel.  I wouldn't even try to tell them about it.  I'd watch it walk away and report the bag stolen.  It is in the airline's possession until you reach your destination where it is legal to receive the bag and gun.
Link Posted: 7/5/2015 9:49:13 PM EDT
[#14]
Try to sweet talk the chick in the tailor shop.  She may smuggle in a hacksaw.
Link Posted: 7/5/2015 9:51:02 PM EDT
[#15]
Holy fuck, you brave mother fucker
Link Posted: 7/5/2015 9:51:21 PM EDT
[#16]
What luggage? What gun?
It must have been stolen
Link Posted: 7/5/2015 9:53:10 PM EDT
[#17]
Quoted:
In theory, you are fine so long as the gun is legal where you are traveling to.

In practice, there is no way in hell I would risk it.  
View Quote

Only in a car sadly it seems.
Link Posted: 7/5/2015 9:53:15 PM EDT
[#18]
Quoted:

I do understand that in the event of a cancellation I would have to refuse to take posession. But to calrify, you strongly advise against it anyways?
View All Quotes
Quoted:
Quoted:

If your luggage will be handled 100% by the airline you should be fine.

If by layover you mean "Fly in one day and fly out another" and you have a gun in your checked luggage, if that luggage enters into your possession at all, they'll screw you. Don't do it. If by "layover" you actually mean "connecting flight" as long as there are no "hiccups" you should be OK.

Me? I wouldn't risk it. The NY powers that be are assholes and the NYC ones are even bigger assholes than that.

Even with my NY handgun license I wouldn't fly out of LaGuardia with a gun anymore.

Link Posted: 7/5/2015 9:53:41 PM EDT
[#19]
Change your flight, skip layover in Soviet shithole.
Link Posted: 7/5/2015 9:53:51 PM EDT
[#20]
The gun isn't the issue. It is having ammo with it.

NY law is if you have it together it is considered "Loaded".

A woman traveling from ND got a layover in shit-stain NY. She had ammo with her gun & got arrested.

Go without ammo & buy it at your destination.
Link Posted: 7/5/2015 9:55:05 PM EDT
[#21]
Quoted:

Little over 2 hours.
View All Quotes
Quoted:
Quoted:
How longs your layover?

Little over 2 hours.

Then you're talking stopover, not layover.

You should be fine. Just DON'T touch your luggage, Even if your connecting flight is cancelled, make the airline hold it and do without anything that's in it. Pack any essentials in your carry on.

Link Posted: 7/5/2015 9:55:46 PM EDT
[#22]
No problem FOPA 1986 covers this - you will be fine...  NOT

It was so worth taking it in the ass on the machinegun deal though - i keep hearing this here.

I would not travel to NY with a firearm.
Link Posted: 7/5/2015 9:56:15 PM EDT
[#23]
Quoted:

A woman traveling from ND got a layover in shit-stain NY. She had ammo with her gun & got arrested.

View Quote

Link Posted: 7/5/2015 9:57:19 PM EDT
[#24]
In ny you can't  even touch a handgun without a pistol permit. Only residents can get a pistol permit. You need the permit to poses the handgun. Carry is subject to county you live in. They incorporate it into the permit. The permit is full registration. Make model and serial number. The airport is in the NYC limits. I believe it is 7 years in rikers island for an unregistered handgun. NYC has different laws then ny state. All of ny state pistol permits are not valid in NYC. You need a special NYC endorsement.

I lived in ny for 37 years. Stay away from ny with guns. Same with nj. Md is getting like this too. Change your flight to non stop. If you have an emergency do not take posession of your luggage.

Good luck.
Link Posted: 7/5/2015 9:57:49 PM EDT
[#25]
Quoted:
Quoted:

http://orig11.deviantart.net/4c70/f/2014/165/b/1/3610923_3861298273_tumbl_by_oddandaelita4life-d7md4i2.gif

Quoted:
In ny you can't  even touch a handgun without a pistol permit. Only residents can get a pistol permit. You need the permit to poses the handgun. Carry is subject to county you live in. They incorporate it into the permit. The permit is full registration. Make model and serial number. The airport is in the NYC limits. I believe it is 7 years in rikers island for an unregistered handgun. NYC has different laws then ny state. All of ny state pistol permits are not valid in NYC. You need a special NYC endorsement.

I lived in ny for 37 years. Stay away from ny with guns. Same with nj. Md is getting like this too. Change your flight to non stop. If you have an emergency do not take posession of your luggage.

Good luck.

That is BS then.
Link Posted: 7/5/2015 10:01:06 PM EDT
[#26]
Quoted:

http://orig11.deviantart.net/4c70/f/2014/165/b/1/3610923_3861298273_tumbl_by_oddandaelita4life-d7md4i2.gif

This is not true. Unless something has changed for the better since I left. You need a pistol permit to possess a handgun. It was the gun. The ammo didn't help but it was the gun. If you have pistol ammo on your posession you better have a pistol permit or prove you have a carbine that accepts this caliber. Ny sucks for guns. I lived there 37 years. It has just gotten worse not better.

View All Quotes
Quoted:
Quoted:

This is not true. Unless something has changed for the better since I left. You need a pistol permit to possess a handgun. It was the gun. The ammo didn't help but it was the gun. If you have pistol ammo on your posession you better have a pistol permit or prove you have a carbine that accepts this caliber. Ny sucks for guns. I lived there 37 years. It has just gotten worse not better.

Link Posted: 7/5/2015 10:01:07 PM EDT
[#27]
Quoted:

That is BS then.
View All Quotes
Quoted:
Quoted:
Quoted:

Quoted:

Good luck.

That is BS then.

It's true that if you have the ammo and gun together, it's considered loaded. It's false that they won't screw you over if you only have an unloaded gun.

Link Posted: 7/5/2015 10:02:08 PM EDT
[#28]
Is there ANY chance due to weather, mechanical failure, or any other unknown circumstance that you will have to take possession of your checked luggage while in New York?  Can't see the future?  Then DON'T even risk it.

Unless of course you have a handgun license issued by the city.
Link Posted: 7/5/2015 10:03:31 PM EDT
[#29]
Quoted:

That is BS then.
View All Quotes
Quoted:
Quoted:
Quoted:

Quoted:

Good luck.

That is BS then.

It is more then BS. But it is the game they play. I have relatives I visit once a year tops 2 times a year. I sweep the car before I go through nj and enter ny.
Link Posted: 7/5/2015 10:04:15 PM EDT
[#30]
If it's only a layover I don't see the problem since the gun will remain cargo and won't be in your possession.
Link Posted: 7/5/2015 10:05:04 PM EDT
[#31]
Quoted:
If it's only a layover I don't see the problem since the gun will remain cargo and won't be in your possession.
View Quote

The problem is if his connecting flight gets cancelled and they want to give him his luggage.

Link Posted: 7/5/2015 10:05:41 PM EDT
[#32]
Avoid NY.

Some of the biggest pucker factor I ever had was the drive from CT to TN when I moved.  Hundreds of pounds of hardware and accessories, including one subgun.

My asshole loosened up so much at the PA border that my farts stopped making noise.
Link Posted: 7/5/2015 10:06:45 PM EDT
[#33]
Will never step foot in NY, that much is evident.
Link Posted: 7/5/2015 10:06:52 PM EDT
[#34]
Quoted:

View Quote

Incorrect, possession of  the gun alone is enough to get you arrested.
Link Posted: 7/5/2015 10:06:52 PM EDT
[#35]
Why are you wasting your time in GD ?

Ask here NY Hometown Forum

PS- Do not do it in NY or NJ. You will end up in Jail.
Link Posted: 7/5/2015 10:08:00 PM EDT
[#36]
Delete Double tap
Link Posted: 7/5/2015 10:08:28 PM EDT
[#37]
Quoted:

The problem is if his connecting flight gets cancelled and they want to give him his luggage.

View All Quotes
Quoted:
Quoted:

In that case he better not touch his luggage.
Link Posted: 7/5/2015 10:10:18 PM EDT
[#38]
Mech2007
Sorry for quoting you wrong. I thought the nope nope nope gif was an ad. Lol

Link Posted: 7/5/2015 10:11:25 PM EDT
[#39]
I used to fly in to JFK and La Guida with a handgun, now no way no how
Link Posted: 7/5/2015 10:12:24 PM EDT
[#40]
Quoted:
Mech2007
Sorry for quoting you wrong. I thought the nope nope nope gif was an ad. Lol

View Quote

Link Posted: 7/5/2015 10:13:29 PM EDT
[#41]
why would you take possession of your checked baggage during a lay over?
Link Posted: 7/5/2015 10:14:55 PM EDT
[#42]
Quoted:

Little over 2 hours.
View All Quotes
Quoted:
Quoted:
How longs your layover?

Little over 2 hours.

I would not even sweat it. Lots of flights in and out of that place. Simply dont take possession of the luggage and have it forwarded to your destination.
Link Posted: 7/5/2015 10:16:40 PM EDT
[#43]
Quoted:
No problem FOPA 1986 covers this - you will be fine...  NOT

It was so worth taking it in the ass on the machinegun deal though - i keep hearing this here.

I would not travel to NY with a firearm.
View Quote

FOPA isn't even the biggest benefit of the 1986 laws...

Before that you couldn't even buy ammo freely. Had to be over the counter, and that was with records.

Goodbye online ammo purchases, bulk savings etc...

Guns are useless without ammo.

It was a lot more expensive then naturally, and harder to obtain freely.

In my opinion regaining the right to buy ammo was worth the MG ban especially considering MG's were already lost in 1934....not like you could just go buy a MG in the store in 1986.
Link Posted: 7/5/2015 10:18:05 PM EDT
[#44]
Quoted:

View All Quotes
Quoted:
Quoted:

Don't ever count on flights not getting cancelled, especially if they are late in the evening and want an excuse
Link Posted: 7/5/2015 10:22:25 PM EDT
[#45]
Quoted:
Even with my NY handgun license I wouldn't fly out of LaGuardia with a gun anymore.

View Quote

My cousin does it all the time ... he even recorded the NYPD while they were fingerfucking his guns (3 of them) and checking his pistol permit serial numbers, and calling in to verify it was legit.
Link Posted: 7/5/2015 10:22:59 PM EDT
[#46]
Would be safest to ship it to your destination as machine parts.  Don't send a Kimber, think old model 60 from a pawnshop just in case it gets "lost" on the way.

Or just do without or rebook flight.
Link Posted: 7/5/2015 10:24:08 PM EDT
[#47]
Quoted:

My cousin does it all the time ... he even recorded the NYPD while they were fingerfucking his guns (3 of them) and checking his pistol permit serial numbers, and calling in to verify it was legit.
View All Quotes
Quoted:
Quoted:

Easier (and safer) for me to just connect out of Islip.

Link Posted: 7/5/2015 10:26:14 PM EDT
[#48]
Quoted:

You should be fine. Just DON'T touch your luggage, Even if your connecting flight is cancelled, make the airline hold it and do without anything that's in it. Pack any essentials in your carry on.

View All Quotes
Quoted:
Quoted:
Quoted:
How longs your layover?

Little over 2 hours.

Well no, it's definitely a layover by industry terminology, but I get your point. I travel with essentials anyways. Last time I had a cancelled flight I never touched my luggage anyways.
Link Posted: 7/5/2015 10:29:05 PM EDT
[#49]

Quoted:
Little over 2 hours.
View All Quotes
Quoted:

Quoted:

How longs your layover?

Little over 2 hours.

That's a layover? My limited experience says you'll be okay. I've never flown through NY though
Link Posted: 7/5/2015 10:29:20 PM EDT
[#50]
Quoted:

Well no, it's definitely a layover by industry terminology, but I get your point. I travel with essentials anyways. Last time I had a cancelled flight I never touched my luggage anyways.
View All Quotes
Quoted:
Quoted:
Quoted:
Quoted:
How longs your layover?

Little over 2 hours.

Interesting. My Dad worked for a major airline for 40+ years and I always heard "layover" used to refer to an overnight thing.

Nevertheless, good luck with whatever you decide. Seems like you should be fine.

Arrow Left Previous Page
Page / 2
Close Join Our Mail List to Stay Up To Date! Win a FREE Membership!

Sign up for the ARFCOM weekly newsletter and be entered to win a free ARFCOM membership. One new winner* is announced every week!

You will receive an email every Friday morning featuring the latest chatter from the hottest topics, breaking news surrounding legislation, as well as exclusive deals only available to ARFCOM email subscribers.

By signing up you agree to our User Agreement. *Must have a registered ARFCOM account to win.
Top Top