Confirm Action

Are you sure you wish to do this?

Confirm Cancel
BCM
User Panel

Arrow Left Previous Page
Page / 3
Posted: 7/4/2015 12:17:07 PM EDT

A visiting American research scientist says he is close to discovering a 'cure' for ageing, that he could have a drug ready for testing by the end of next year.
Molecular Biologist Dr Bill Andrews told TV ONE's SUNDAY programme that humans shouldn't have to suffer from the ravages of ageing. He says that ageing is a disease that should, and could be cured.

View Quote

m.tvnz.co.nz/news/national/6352840
Link Posted: 7/4/2015 12:19:56 PM EDT
[#1]
I AM LEGEND!
Link Posted: 7/4/2015 12:23:18 PM EDT
[#2]
Link Posted: 7/4/2015 12:28:07 PM EDT
[#3]
Quoted:

A visiting American research scientist says he is close to discovering a 'cure' for ageing, that he could have a drug ready for testing by the end of next year.
Molecular Biologist Dr Bill Andrews told TV ONE's SUNDAY programme that humans shouldn't have to suffer from the ravages of ageing. He says that ageing is a disease that should, and could be cured.

View Quote

m.tvnz.co.nz/news/national/6352840
View Quote

You know when they lost credibility? Somewhere between the "G" and "I" in "ageing"
Link Posted: 7/4/2015 12:28:46 PM EDT
[#4]
Discussion ForumsJump to Quoted PostQuote History
Quoted:
I AM LEGEND!
View Quote

You might be closer to the truth than the doc in that article.
Link Posted: 7/4/2015 12:31:11 PM EDT
[#5]
I would be down for immortality or at least a few hundred more years and the choice of dieing when Im ready.
Less than 100 years on this awesome planet seems so short.
Being able to explore more,settle in new areas for awhile without feeling any time constraints to move on before you are to infirm to do so,unlimited adventures and learning opportunities,doubly so if you could keep your body during its prime and your mind at its peak.

Of course there would be down sides. A lot more time to go through episodes of heartbreak and failures, periods of what probably feels like endless work.
Link Posted: 7/4/2015 12:31:44 PM EDT
[#6]
Yes, and I'm all for it. We've known for awhile that it was possible to stop the destruction of DNA and that it can even be repaired.

We could be living like the Elves from Lord of the Rings. You can still be killed in a car accident or something, but you wont die from aging.

I think at some point, you'll probably decide to die on your own terms. No one would really want to live forever.
Link Posted: 7/4/2015 12:32:09 PM EDT
[#7]
Not sure I want to live forever, but it would sure be nice to be healthy as I was when I was 30 right up to the point I keel over.
Link Posted: 7/4/2015 12:33:46 PM EDT
[#8]
It has always been within reach and didn't take a scientist to figure it out. Read the Bible. Just simply accept Jesus as Lord and Savior of you life and you will live for eternity.

Link Posted: 7/4/2015 12:35:37 PM EDT
[#9]

Quoted:

Being able to explore more,settle in new areas for awhile without feeling any time constraints to move on before you are to infirm to do so,unlimited adventures and learning opportunities,doubly so if you could keep your body during its prime and your mind at its peak.

View Quote

That would be the nice thing, being able to visit all the neat and interesting places around the world, versus most people not having enough time to do it today.
Link Posted: 7/4/2015 12:36:50 PM EDT
[#10]
Just the thought makes me tired. When will the new social security benefits kick in? 150? 400?
Link Posted: 7/4/2015 12:36:51 PM EDT
[#11]
Quoted:
It has always been within reach and didn't take a scientist to figure it out. Read the Bible. Just simply accept Jesus as Lord and Savior of you life and you will live for eternity.

View Quote

For reals?
Link Posted: 7/4/2015 12:39:12 PM EDT
[#12]
I'm sure it will only be available to the elite.
Link Posted: 7/4/2015 12:40:25 PM EDT
[#13]
His research must be running out of funding pretty soon.  Usually, these breakthroughs "are twenty years out."
Link Posted: 7/4/2015 12:41:10 PM EDT
[#14]

Quoted:

View Quote

As I recall, in the Bible, there is an account of a thing that grew on a tree that a human could eat and he would live forever. Not magic, just something that grew on a tree.

Link Posted: 7/4/2015 12:41:31 PM EDT
[#15]
Quoted:
View Quote

That would start some kind of riot.
Link Posted: 7/4/2015 12:42:01 PM EDT
[#16]
Hope it's expensive.

Poor people living forever would suck.
Link Posted: 7/4/2015 12:42:44 PM EDT
[#17]
Who the fuck would want to stay on this smelly shithole of a planet any longer than they have to?
Link Posted: 7/4/2015 12:43:04 PM EDT
[#18]
Do we really want immortal politicians?
Tomac
Link Posted: 7/4/2015 12:43:40 PM EDT
[#19]

Quoted:
View Quote View All Quotes
View All Quotes
Quoted:

Quoted:

A geriatric riot....it staggers the imagination.

Link Posted: 7/4/2015 12:44:57 PM EDT
[#20]
I guess ill start looking for girls with green eyes..
Link Posted: 7/4/2015 12:46:28 PM EDT
[#21]
Quoted:
Tomac
View Quote

Yes, I'm sure that SCOTUSCARE will cover it too.

They will find it and report to the surfs that it was a failure, but rest assured the rich and powerful will have access.

It will be their version of "going Gault".

Hmm. Maybe thats why the repubes are getting on board with the dim on everything.
Link Posted: 7/4/2015 12:48:00 PM EDT
[#22]
Quoted:

View Quote

[facepalm]
Link Posted: 7/4/2015 12:50:30 PM EDT
[#23]
Link Posted: 7/4/2015 12:51:20 PM EDT
[#24]
Quoted:

View All Quotes
Quoted:
Quoted:

Nah, there would just be a black market and widespread non-compliance with the law on a scale that would dwarf the prohibition era.
Link Posted: 7/4/2015 12:52:04 PM EDT
[#25]
Quoted:

They will find it and report to the surfs that it was a failure, but rest assured the rich and powerful will have access.

View All Quotes
Quoted:
Quoted:
Tomac

Can only the rich and powerful get access to heroin?
Link Posted: 7/4/2015 12:54:02 PM EDT
[#26]
Quoted:
View Quote

I'm so old I recognize where that came from.
Link Posted: 7/4/2015 12:54:54 PM EDT
[#27]
Quoted:
Not sure I want to live forever, but it would sure be nice to be healthy as I was when I was 30 right up to the point I keel over.
View Quote

This. No desire to "live forever" but would like to be as healthy as possible right up until the end. As long as "healthy" allows plenty of good eats and drinks.

I find it amusing so many here want to live some extended length of time, yet are posting in the threads that "it's all over" and "don't want to live here anymore" from all the recent stupidity from the SCOTUS and SJWs.
Link Posted: 7/4/2015 12:55:13 PM EDT
[#28]
Quoted:
Can you say "population bomb" ?
View Quote

no worries, war will take care of that.
Link Posted: 7/4/2015 12:55:42 PM EDT
[#29]
So, how long does social security stay solvent when the expected life span becomes indefinite and congress STILL won't raise the retirement age?
Link Posted: 7/4/2015 12:56:32 PM EDT
[#30]
I don't want to be a vampire.

Link Posted: 7/4/2015 12:58:15 PM EDT
[#31]
Progressive heads would explode.
Link Posted: 7/4/2015 12:58:49 PM EDT
[#32]
Great. Another 100 years of working.
Link Posted: 7/4/2015 12:58:55 PM EDT
[#33]
I think I'd be good with a 250 or 300 year run at things.
Link Posted: 7/4/2015 1:00:00 PM EDT
[#34]
I don't know if there would be a greater curse than immortality. ..
Link Posted: 7/4/2015 1:01:22 PM EDT
[#35]
I have been hearing this for 30 years.
Link Posted: 7/4/2015 1:02:32 PM EDT
[#36]
No thanks
Link Posted: 7/4/2015 1:02:39 PM EDT
[#37]
When it happens, we will never hear of it.
Link Posted: 7/4/2015 1:03:07 PM EDT
[#38]
Science claims a lot of things, anthropogenic global warming, for example.
Link Posted: 7/4/2015 1:03:31 PM EDT
[#39]
Immortality might get boring but I'll take forever young. Getting old sucks.
Link Posted: 7/4/2015 1:05:06 PM EDT
[#40]
"Out Of Time"
Link Posted: 7/4/2015 1:06:14 PM EDT
[#41]
Quoted:
View Quote

This.

I'll be content with the century or so I have allotted to me, but I'd like to be healthy and active till the end.
Link Posted: 7/4/2015 1:08:12 PM EDT
[#42]
Stuck in your 20s-30s....I see child support payments without end in a lot of futures.
Link Posted: 7/4/2015 1:09:50 PM EDT
[#43]
Quoted:
Yes, and I'm all for it. We've known for awhile that it was possible to stop the destruction of DNA and that it can even be repaired.

We could be living like the Elves from Lord of the Rings. You can still be killed in a car accident or something, but you wont die from aging.

I think at some point, you'll probably decide to die on your own terms. No one would really want to live forever.
View Quote

I think it is a stop gap until we all go digital.

Really.. Who wants to be a CD when you can be an MP3 forever in the cloud.
Link Posted: 7/4/2015 1:10:36 PM EDT
[#44]
Quoted:

For reals?
View All Quotes
Quoted:
Quoted:

For reals?

The man speaks the truth.  If you haven't experienced Jesus, you should.  Especially if you are skeptical, you have nothing to lose at all.
Link Posted: 7/4/2015 1:11:33 PM EDT
[#45]
At this point I think immortality on this rock would be more of a punishment than blessing.
Link Posted: 7/4/2015 1:14:02 PM EDT
[#46]
Quoted:
View Quote

That, uh, ''til death do us part'' would start to make people think twice, especially if alimony may last for hundreds of years.
Link Posted: 7/4/2015 1:15:06 PM EDT
[#47]
I will never die anyway.
Link Posted: 7/4/2015 1:17:17 PM EDT
[#48]
Maybe someone might finally get off this trainwreck we call Earth!

Hopefully someone like Space X will pick up Project Orion and start asking for volunteers. What's a couple centuries stuck in a tin can for an immortal if it means striking out for some place like Proxima Centauri like a modern day Columbus.
Link Posted: 7/4/2015 1:18:35 PM EDT
[#49]
In other unrelated news Congress has voted to raise the retirement age to never.

By an overwhelming vote of both houses, it also defeated  an amendment to the bill increasing the retirement age which would have ended the tax which finances retirement benefits ...
Link Posted: 7/4/2015 1:18:43 PM EDT
[#50]
Quoted:

View All Quotes
Quoted:
Quoted:

Very good Mr Burton..
Arrow Left Previous Page
Page / 3
Close Join Our Mail List to Stay Up To Date! Win a FREE Membership!

Sign up for the ARFCOM weekly newsletter and be entered to win a free ARFCOM membership. One new winner* is announced every week!

You will receive an email every Friday morning featuring the latest chatter from the hottest topics, breaking news surrounding legislation, as well as exclusive deals only available to ARFCOM email subscribers.

By signing up you agree to our User Agreement. *Must have a registered ARFCOM account to win.
Top Top