Warning

Close

Confirm Action

Are you sure you wish to do this?

Confirm Cancel
BCM
User Panel

Posted: 7/4/2015 12:11:44 PM EDT
need to upgrade from my old Comac Preserio.  Thinking about getting this. http://outlet.lenovo.com/outlet_us/itemdetails/10DC0011US/445

All I really do is pay bills online, surf and play  a few games like World of tanks and Warthunder.  would this fit my needs?

• Model Highlights

•      

Condition
    New

•      

Processor
    Intel® Pentium® Processor J2900 (2M Cache, up to 2.67 GHz)

•      

Operating system
    Windows 7 Professional 64 - English (Downgraded from Genuine Windows 8.1 Professional)

•      

Graphics
    Intel® Graphics Media Accelerator HD

•      

Memory
    4 GB PC3-12800 DDR3 SDRAM 1600MHz SODIMM Memory

•      

Display
    None - Desktop

•      

Pointing device
    Lenovo USB Preferred Pro Full Size Keyboard - English and Lenovo Optical Wheel Mouse USB

•      

Hard Drive
    500GB, 7200RPM Serial ATA 2.5" Hard Drive

•      

Optical Drive
    No Optical Included

•      

Battery
    No Battery Included - Desktop

•      

Network Card
    Intel Dual Band Wireless 7260BN with Bluetooth 4.0

•      

Bluetooth
    Bluetooth

•      

WWAN
    No WWAN Supported

•      

Finger Print Reader
    No Fingerprint Reader

•      

Warranty
    1 Year On-Site Warranty

•      

Form Factor
    Tiny - Black

New!

Link Posted: 7/4/2015 12:16:30 PM EDT
[#1]
go with 8GB of memory and an SSD drive
Link Posted: 7/4/2015 12:55:47 PM EDT
[#2]
Discussion ForumsJump to Quoted PostQuote History
Quoted:
go with 8GB of memory and an SSD drive
View Quote

I would dump this:

Graphics

Get an actual video card. Integrated video uses system resources.
Link Posted: 7/4/2015 1:05:43 PM EDT
[#3]
Lenovo? Comes with pre-installed spy software..
Link Posted: 7/4/2015 1:05:52 PM EDT
[#4]
Link Posted: 7/4/2015 1:06:33 PM EDT
[#5]
World of tanks and Warthunder? not on that system.
I would look at a low end gaming PC.

It looks like that is a micro case so i don't think you have room to add a video card to it.
Link Posted: 7/4/2015 1:14:09 PM EDT
[#6]
Quoted:
Check out outlet.dell.com, look at the Alienware Alpha, should come in at around the same price as what you are looking at, and it is designed for what you want to do and more.

Check around the usual sites for coupon codes, 20-33% off coupons are fairly frequent for that site.

ETA: We have three Alienware PCs in the house, you can't imagine a more trouble free machine. We have two X51s and an Aurora.
View Quote

People crap on Alienware, but my M17x R3 is still running really well. Combine that with the ease of finding 20-30% off deals and they're actually a better deal than some think. Build quality is quite a bit higher than most Clevo/Sagers.

OP: Check out the Dell outlet and even Woot for solid deals on lower end gaming machines.
Link Posted: 7/4/2015 1:19:03 PM EDT
[#7]
Wolrd of Tanks would suck hard on that setup.
Link Posted: 7/4/2015 1:30:24 PM EDT
[#8]
No.

That's an internet only and not even do that very well machine.

Need a better processor.  At least 3.5GHz and at least quadcore...

Get a real video card.  Even the bargain basement ones are better than integrated graphics.  You'll be thankful anytime you want to play any video or any game.  And you could always bump it up later to play better games.

8 GB of ram at a minimum.
Link Posted: 7/4/2015 5:34:53 PM EDT
[#9]
Link Posted: 7/4/2015 7:23:57 PM EDT
[#10]
Link Posted: 7/4/2015 9:14:15 PM EDT
[#11]
Quoted:
need to upgrade from my old Comac Preserio.  Thinking about getting this. http://outlet.lenovo.com/outlet_us/itemdetails/10DC0011US/445

All I really do is pay bills online, surf and play  a few games like World of tanks and Warthunder.  would this fit my needs?

• Model Highlights

•        
    Condition
    New
  •        
    Processor
  •        
    Operating system
    Windows 7 Professional 64 - English (Downgraded from Genuine Windows 8.1 Professional)
  •        
    Graphics
  •        
    Memory
  •        
    Display
    None - Desktop
  •        
    Pointing device
    Lenovo USB Preferred Pro Full Size Keyboard - English and Lenovo Optical Wheel Mouse USB
  •        
    Hard Drive
  •        
    Optical Drive
    No Optical Included
  •        
    Battery
  •        
    Network Card
  •        
    Bluetooth
    Bluetooth
  •        
    WWAN
    No WWAN Supported
  •        
    Finger Print Reader
    No Fingerprint Reader
  •        
    Warranty
    1 Year On-Site Warranty
  •        
    Form Factor
    Tiny - Black

New!

View Quote

This:

http://www.dell.com/us/p/inspiron-3647-small-desktop/pd?oc=fdcwst313b&model_id=inspiron-3647-small-desktop

or

http://www.provantage.com/hewlett-packard-hp-k6q42ut-aba~7HEWK6U8.htm
Link Posted: 7/5/2015 12:16:34 AM EDT
[#12]
Link Posted: 7/5/2015 2:25:04 AM EDT
[#13]
What's your budget OP?
Link Posted: 7/5/2015 3:00:33 AM EDT
[#14]
Any games will suck on that system especially online. Get a dedicated v card and a better processor.
Link Posted: 7/5/2015 3:18:15 AM EDT
[#15]

Quoted:

Wolrd of Tanks would suck hard on that setup.
View Quote

Link Posted: 7/5/2015 12:15:05 PM EDT
[#16]

Quoted:

What's your budget OP?
View Quote
thanks all for the replies  I'm looking at about $500  Honestly I'm completely clueless other than I want a desk top  this Compac is 4 years old and has seen better days

Link Posted: 7/5/2015 12:35:50 PM EDT
[#17]
Link Posted: 7/5/2015 1:28:51 PM EDT
[#18]
Quoted:

Those would need upgrades to be usable in a year or two, especially the 4GB RAM on a 64 bit system (equiv to 2GB RAM on a 32bit System).  If the OP wants something that will last a bit longer, it costs more, but he won't have to upgrade or buy a new system for a while.

View Quote View All Quotes
View All Quotes
Quoted:
Quoted:
Quoted:

• Model Highlights

•        
    Condition
    New
  •        
    Processor
  •        
    Operating system
  •        
    Graphics
  •        
    Memory
  •        
    Display
    None - Desktop
  •        
    Pointing device
  •        
    Hard Drive
  •        
    Optical Drive
    No Optical Included
  •        
    Battery
  •        
    Network Card
  •        
    Bluetooth
    Bluetooth
  •        
    WWAN
    No WWAN Supported
  •        
    Finger Print Reader
    No Fingerprint Reader
  •        
    Warranty
    1 Year On-Site Warranty
  •        
    Form Factor
    Tiny - Black

New!

This:

http://www.dell.com/us/p/inspiron-3647-small-desktop/pd?oc=fdcwst313b&model_id=inspiron-3647-small-desktop

or

http://www.provantage.com/hewlett-packard-hp-k6q42ut-aba~7HEWK6U8.htm

Those would need upgrades to be usable in a year or two, especially the 4GB RAM on a 64 bit system (equiv to 2GB RAM on a 32bit System).  If the OP wants something that will last a bit longer, it costs more, but he won't have to upgrade or buy a new system for a while.

Put the crack pipe down.

OP's needs are as basic as it gets:

All I really do is pay bills online, surf and play a few games like World of tanks and Warthunder. would this fit my needs?

Link Posted: 7/5/2015 1:42:08 PM EDT
[#19]
Link Posted: 7/5/2015 1:49:53 PM EDT
[#20]
imo min specs to play games would be

i5 or higher cpu
6gb+ of ram
and
860/960gtx gfx card.

anything with those specs are in the $800-1200 range.
Link Posted: 7/5/2015 2:05:09 PM EDT
[#21]
Link Posted: 7/5/2015 2:44:15 PM EDT
[#22]
Quoted:

The 760GTX is a speedy card that is $189 or cheaper now, and is still in the top 10.    I'll agree on the i5 or higher, but with 64 bit, 8GB is minimum, since the OS takes a big chunk of that.  Remember, sizeof(int) is 64, so twice the memory is needed to be "equivalent" to 32 bit systems, thought not technically exact, it's a good summation, and matching 4GB RAM is better than a 2GB DIMM and a 4GB DIMM, since 2 4GB DIMMs can be interleaved for more speed, while non-matching cannot.

It's often easier to find a system that meets the minimums (i5, 8GB, Hard Drive, etc), then upgrade the video card to what you desire, otherwise you'll spend LOTS more than intended.    Just searching for 16GB almost lands you in i7 + GTX 9xx land, for system costs of > $1200
View All Quotes
Quoted:
Quoted:

i5 or higher cpu
6gb+ of ram
and
860/960gtx gfx card.

The 760GTX is a speedy card that is $189 or cheaper now, and is still in the top 10.    I'll agree on the i5 or higher, but with 64 bit, 8GB is minimum, since the OS takes a big chunk of that.  Remember, sizeof(int) is 64, so twice the memory is needed to be "equivalent" to 32 bit systems, thought not technically exact, it's a good summation, and matching 4GB RAM is better than a 2GB DIMM and a 4GB DIMM, since 2 4GB DIMMs can be interleaved for more speed, while non-matching cannot.

It's often easier to find a system that meets the minimums (i5, 8GB, Hard Drive, etc), then upgrade the video card to what you desire, otherwise you'll spend LOTS more than intended.    Just searching for 16GB almost lands you in i7 + GTX 9xx land, for system costs of > $1200

i agree on ram. its just that i wouldn't go lower then 6gb altho that is probably the easiest thing to upgrade so i would put the priority of the cpu and gpu first.

another thing if the op is game is to piece one together and build it. may be a little more but can be bought threw time if money is a  concern. computers to me are like ar15's, at first they look hard and complicated to build but in reality they are easy to do. also doing this can land you with better quality parts.
Link Posted: 7/5/2015 2:46:50 PM EDT
[#23]

Quoted:

i5 or higher cpu

6gb+ of ram

and

860/960gtx gfx card.
View Quote

960gtx to play World of Tanks?

Dude only needs an entry level video card, he said he is a very casual gamer. Maybe I'm wrong, but I wouldn't think WoT would need a 960 gtx to play.

Link Posted: 7/5/2015 2:57:00 PM EDT
[#24]
Quoted:

Dude only needs an entry level video card, he said he is a very casual gamer. Maybe I'm wrong, but I wouldn't think WoT would need a 960 gtx to play.

View All Quotes
Quoted:
Quoted:

i5 or higher cpu
6gb+ of ram
and
860/960gtx gfx card.

yes i know you could get by on some older and lower end stuff if you cut back on gfx in the game. its just more future proof and able to play other games that he may want to play later on. its not that much of a difference in price with a prebuilt. also for some reason when typing it out i was thinking he wanted a laptop not a desktop.
Link Posted: 7/5/2015 2:58:57 PM EDT
[#25]

Quoted:

yes i know you could get by on some older and lower end stuff if you cut back on gfx in the game. its just more future proof and able to play other games that he may want to play later on. its not that much of a difference in price with a prebuilt. also for some reason when typing it out i was thinking he wanted a laptop not a desktop.
View All Quotes
Quoted:

Quoted:

Quoted:

i5 or higher cpu

6gb+ of ram

and

860/960gtx gfx card.

I get what you're saying, now.
Link Posted: 7/5/2015 7:53:42 PM EDT
[#26]
Link Posted: 7/5/2015 10:05:20 PM EDT
[#27]
Quoted:
You are spot on, World of Tanks would run just fine on pretty much any of the discreet video cards in the $50 price range.

Early in this thread I suggested Dell Outlet Alienware X51 and Alpha systems, that go for $500 or less, and will more than adequately play just about any game out on medium settings. Those machines will run well, last several years, and won't need constant fiddling with to keep them going. The Alpha is more like a console than a desktop from a hardware standpoint, it is setup for basic computing and casual gaming/

Some people have trouble when they here the word gaming, and assume that the person is determined to play the latest eye candy game with every option cranked to extreme and won't accept anything short of 120FPS while doing it, and don't mind that their rig sounds like a 747 taking off from their living room.

View All Quotes
Quoted:
Quoted:
Quoted:

i5 or higher cpu
6gb+ of ram
and
860/960gtx gfx card.

You are spot on, World of Tanks would run just fine on pretty much any of the discreet video cards in the $50 price range.

Early in this thread I suggested Dell Outlet Alienware X51 and Alpha systems, that go for $500 or less, and will more than adequately play just about any game out on medium settings. Those machines will run well, last several years, and won't need constant fiddling with to keep them going. The Alpha is more like a console than a desktop from a hardware standpoint, it is setup for basic computing and casual gaming/

Some people have trouble when they here the word gaming, and assume that the person is determined to play the latest eye candy game with every option cranked to extreme and won't accept anything short of 120FPS while doing it, and don't mind that their rig sounds like a 747 taking off from their living room.

Link Posted: 7/5/2015 10:08:13 PM EDT
[#28]
Is Compaq still in business???
Link Posted: 7/5/2015 10:10:43 PM EDT
[#29]
Quoted:
Is Compaq still in business???
View Quote

no hp bought them out like 8 years ago
Close Join Our Mail List to Stay Up To Date! Win a FREE Membership!

Sign up for the ARFCOM weekly newsletter and be entered to win a free ARFCOM membership. One new winner* is announced every week!

You will receive an email every Friday morning featuring the latest chatter from the hottest topics, breaking news surrounding legislation, as well as exclusive deals only available to ARFCOM email subscribers.

By signing up you agree to our User Agreement. *Must have a registered ARFCOM account to win.
Top Top