Are you sure you wish to do this?

Confirm Cancel
BCM
User Panel

Site Notices
Arrow Left Previous Page
Page / 23
Posted: 7/3/2015 5:07:28 PM EDT
I was guilty of suspending my logic for decades as a religious person.   I've been out of religion for five years and I feel as though the truth (Science and logic) has set me free. Anyone else come to this conclusion after years in religion?  

Why are we so logical and analytical in every other aspect of our lives?  But when it comes to God and religion we suspend all forms of logic and common sense.  

This is not a bashing thread, I was one of the religious people who believed for years and years, I get it.   It is just an interesting phenomenon.

Link Posted: 7/3/2015 5:07:59 PM EDT
[#1]
Troll thread
Link Posted: 7/3/2015 5:08:55 PM EDT
[#2]
Discussion ForumsJump to Quoted PostQuote History
Quoted:
Troll thread
View Quote

1st post DOESN'T nail it.  I am asking a sincere question
Link Posted: 7/3/2015 5:09:31 PM EDT
[#3]
So you recommend I give up my religion and love of my Savior?

Nope.
Link Posted: 7/3/2015 5:10:14 PM EDT
[#4]

Quoted:

I was guilty of suspending my logic for decades as a religious person.   I've been out of religion for five years and I feel as though the truth (Science and logic) has set me free. Anyone else come to this conclusion after years in religion?  

Why are we so logical and analytical in every other aspect of our lives?  But when it comes to God and religion we suspend all forms of logic and common sense.  

This is not a bashing thread, I was one of the religious people who believed for years and years, I get it.   It is just an interesting phenomenon.

View Quote
Sorry to hear you've lost your faith.

Link Posted: 7/3/2015 5:10:39 PM EDT
[#5]
Quoted:
So you recommend I give up my religion and love of my Savior?

Nope.
View Quote

Absolutely not, if it works for you, good.
Link Posted: 7/3/2015 5:11:02 PM EDT
[#6]
Link Posted: 7/3/2015 5:11:03 PM EDT
[#7]
This should be good.
Link Posted: 7/3/2015 5:11:03 PM EDT
[#8]
Ask yourself why you lost your faith.

He is still there.

Link Posted: 7/3/2015 5:11:26 PM EDT
[#9]
Because Faith.

Posted Via AR15.Com Mobile
Link Posted: 7/3/2015 5:13:02 PM EDT
[#10]
Why is believing in God illogical?   Doesn't intelligent design make sense?
Link Posted: 7/3/2015 5:14:12 PM EDT
[#11]
I hear ya op, but a lot of people won't feel my sentiment
Link Posted: 7/3/2015 5:14:15 PM EDT
[#12]
Because I know it is a fact.
Link Posted: 7/3/2015 5:15:12 PM EDT
[#13]
You absolutely do not need to suspend your reason or logic for believing in Christ.  
If you want more info, go to Reasonable Faith for additional resources and I challenge you to get involved in a discussion in their forums. If logic and reason are your guide, you will be impressed. William Lane Craig has very thought provoking, well reasoned arguments.
Link Posted: 7/3/2015 5:15:48 PM EDT
[#14]
Quoted:
View Quote

Absolutely impossible.  A fact can be objectively proven.

Link Posted: 7/3/2015 5:16:19 PM EDT
[#15]
As I matured, my logic brought me to believe.
I see evidence of God all around, ESPECIALLY the more we learn in science.

Religion(s) are constructs of men - some more altruistic than others.
Even the best go astray at times.

But an imperfect organization of men does not discount the presence of or actions of God in the universe.
Link Posted: 7/3/2015 5:16:21 PM EDT
[#16]
lol
Link Posted: 7/3/2015 5:16:47 PM EDT
[#17]
Evolution cannot be proven.

God cannot be disproven.
Link Posted: 7/3/2015 5:17:08 PM EDT
[#18]
Faith is taught at a very early age for most that are brought up "in the church" - whichever church you go to.

If logic and science were taught that early in development - you'd see a similar devotion or guilt if you departed from your early education.

I battle back and forth - knowing and doubting - yet understanding that this all didn't just accidentally happen.... did it? Couldn't have.
Link Posted: 7/3/2015 5:17:22 PM EDT
[#19]
Quoted:

View Quote

There is a difference between being religious and having a relationship with Christ.
Link Posted: 7/3/2015 5:18:33 PM EDT
[#20]
Quoted:
Because Faith.

View Quote

Hebrews says "Faith is the substance of things hoped for and the evidence of things unseen"
People have faith in God.
Therefore, God has substance and evidence
Things with substance and evidence exist

Therefore, God exists.
Link Posted: 7/3/2015 5:18:41 PM EDT
[#21]
I asked myself the same thing (actually - a few friends that I was proselytizing to asked it for me), once upon a time.

It started a slow process of realizing that I wasn't being internally consistent. I demanded testable and potentially falsifiable evidence in every solitary aspect of my life that mattered...except one. "Faith and my religion are different", I'd say,

Over time, little by little, I just sort of stopped believing in God. There wasn't a single eureka moment.

When I joined this site in 2004, I still had a faint belief in God. A seriously bored individual with no life could skim over my old posts, and watch the transition.

Anyway, I've written the equivalent of a novel over the years, explaining why I don't believe in God, and otherwise discussing non-belief in hundreds of threads. To be perfectly honest, I've said more than enough, and I'm kind of bored with the subject at this point. I'm perfectly content to just be left alone with my non-belief, and you know what? The vast majority (online or offline) are perfectly content to just leave me be. I'm happy with that.

These days, I really only care to answer sincere questions. I've lost any and all motivation to convince believers that I'm right. Seriously. If they want to know where I'm coming from (and why) because they're curious, then fine. I'll indulge them. But I'm no longer interested in talking people out of their faith.

I'm not interested in talking liberals out of their political ideology anymore, either. Same deal. If they want to know why my politics are the way they are, I'm happy to oblige in telling them. But beyond that...whatever.
Link Posted: 7/3/2015 5:18:56 PM EDT
[#22]
Link Posted: 7/3/2015 5:19:25 PM EDT
[#23]

Quoted:
Absolutely impossible. A fact can be objectively proven.

View Quote View All Quotes
View All Quotes
Quoted:

Quoted:

Absolutely impossible. A fact can be objectively proven.

Given the conditions with which to test the thesis. Can you personally prove the sun isn't made of unicorn farts? All you can do is try to objectify second hand data.

Link Posted: 7/3/2015 5:19:28 PM EDT
[#24]
Quoted:

View All Quotes
Quoted:
Quoted:
Troll thread

Nope it does nail it.  you are being the typical sanctimonious anti theist troll

troll thread
Link Posted: 7/3/2015 5:20:09 PM EDT
[#25]
We're not that logical and analytical in other aspects of our lives either... I'll just leave it at that

Link Posted: 7/3/2015 5:20:34 PM EDT
[#26]
Scientology thread?
Link Posted: 7/3/2015 5:21:43 PM EDT
[#27]
Quoted:

But an imperfect organization of men does not discount the presence of or actions of God in the universe.
View Quote

Link Posted: 7/3/2015 5:22:38 PM EDT
[#28]
Quoted:

Hebrews says "Faith is the substance of things hoped for and the evidence of things unseen"

Therefore, God exists.
View All Quotes
Quoted:
Quoted:
Because Faith.

Therefore, God exists.

Circular logic.  Fail.   You cannot quote the Bible to prove the Bible.
Link Posted: 7/3/2015 5:22:56 PM EDT
[#29]
If you're trying to explain God and put Him in a analytical box you'll fail miserably.  It's possible to have a personal relationship with Him through His Son who walked the walk to show us the Father but ultimately it comes down to this one word.  TRUST which leads to another word FAITH.  Religion fails miserably but a relationship on a very personal intimate way is what is needed and possible.  Sorry to hear you walked away but I did to and came back around again.  He is a God of second chances.
Link Posted: 7/3/2015 5:23:29 PM EDT
[#30]
Quoted:
We're not that logical and analytical in other aspects of our lives either... I'll just leave it at that

View Quote

Also true.
Link Posted: 7/3/2015 5:24:22 PM EDT
[#31]
Indoctrination from birth.  It's a tried and true methodology, perfected over millenia.
Link Posted: 7/3/2015 5:24:28 PM EDT
[#32]
Quoted:

View Quote

People assume anything they can't readily explain must be caused by another conscious being. Universe doesnt give a "why" or "how" answer = a conscious being did it. Same thing that makes humans afraid of a spooky sound when its dark and they can't see what caused it.
Link Posted: 7/3/2015 5:25:47 PM EDT
[#33]
Quoted:
Troll thread
View Quote

Why do atheists take it so personal? Why do atheists interject their bullshit on faithful without a prompt?

Atheists are no better than the radical gay marriage crowd, the pro abortion crowd, etc. They have to start a fight where there is none to justify the hole in their explanations for everything?
Link Posted: 7/3/2015 5:26:13 PM EDT
[#34]
Quoted:

View All Quotes
Quoted:
Quoted:
Quoted:
Because Faith.

Therefore, God exists.

Wrong.

2 TImothy 3:16
All Scripture is God-breathed and is useful for teaching, rebuking, correcting and training in righteousness,
Link Posted: 7/3/2015 5:26:36 PM EDT
[#35]
Quoted:

Why do atheists take it so personal? Why do atheists interject their bullshit on faithful without a prompt?

Atheists are no better than the radical gay marriage crowd, the pro abortion crowd, etc. They have to start a fight where there is none to justify the hole in their explanations for everything?
View All Quotes
Quoted:
Quoted:
Troll thread

Are you saying we should be forbidden to speak of such things?
Link Posted: 7/3/2015 5:26:45 PM EDT
[#36]
Quoted:

View Quote

Believing in God does not equal believing in religion, they are different philosophies which exist independently.

Almost every argument I read against God, is actually an argument against religion.
Link Posted: 7/3/2015 5:27:32 PM EDT
[#37]
You're making a pretty big assumption.  It's not the suspension of logic, it's the lack of critical thinking and self evaluation that keeps people religious.  They start out religious, for the most part, because they were told to and that leads to a very complicated mess to sort though.  No one is going to do that mental exercise on a forum.
Link Posted: 7/3/2015 5:28:05 PM EDT
[#38]
Quoted:

Wrong.

All Scripture is God-breathed and is useful for teaching, rebuking, correcting and training in righteousness,
View All Quotes
Quoted:
Quoted:
Quoted:
Quoted:
Because Faith.

Therefore, God exists.

Wrong.

LOL,  you did it again, you used a scripture to prove another Scripture!

Link Posted: 7/3/2015 5:29:32 PM EDT
[#39]
You shot your troll load too soon, OP.

It's not Sunday nor is it a religious holiday. Come back in a few days and bring all your creepy baby doll heads with the eyes cut out.

Link Posted: 7/3/2015 5:29:59 PM EDT
[#40]

Quoted:

View All Quotes
Quoted:

Quoted:

Link Posted: 7/3/2015 5:30:39 PM EDT
[#41]
The answer is "We don't"

There is more than sufficient evidence to believe in God as He is portrayed in the Bible.

It takes far more faith than I have to disbelieve.
Link Posted: 7/3/2015 5:30:40 PM EDT
[#42]
Friday religion thread

I find comfort and have experienced results thru prayer.

Don't know why don't care.

Something somewhere has helped me from within.

Jesus interests me.
Link Posted: 7/3/2015 5:31:00 PM EDT
[#43]
There are things in science that defie logic and reason. Plenty.

We just accept gravity and magnetism. We know they work, we know how they work but we don't understand the mechanism or why they work. Sound familiar?

What about Schrödinger's cat? How can it be alive and dead at the same time? We accept that it is don't we?
Link Posted: 7/3/2015 5:35:25 PM EDT
[#44]

Link Posted: 7/3/2015 5:36:25 PM EDT
[#45]

Quoted:

There are things in science that defy logic and reason. Plenty.
View Quote
Would you like to toss a few out there?  Just curious.
Link Posted: 7/3/2015 5:39:20 PM EDT
[#46]
FWIW

I work with many research scientists. Many of whom have multiple PHDs. Some of them they don't believe in evolution. The complexities of the even the simplest creatures are amazing.

YMMV
Link Posted: 7/3/2015 5:41:25 PM EDT
[#47]
Quoted:
View All Quotes
Quoted:
Quoted:
There are things in science that defy logic and reason. Plenty.

We just accept gravity and magnetism. We know they work, we know how they work but we don't understand the mechanism or why they work. Sound familiar?

What about Schrödinger's cat? How can it be alive and dead at the same time? We accept that it is don't we?

What about "spooky action at a distance" as Einstein called it. That the act of interfering with a particle in one place, can affect the state of a particle light years away from it. Instantaneously. We know this is true, we don't know how or why though.
Link Posted: 7/3/2015 5:43:02 PM EDT
[#48]
Quoted:

What about "spooky action at a distance" as Einstein called it. That the act of interfering with a particle in one place, can affect the state of a particle light years away from it. Instantaneously. We know this is true, we don't know how or why though.
View Quote

Inaccuracies aside, science doesn't just accept those things.  People spend lifetimes trying to understand and test theories regarding those underlying mechanisms.
Link Posted: 7/3/2015 5:43:36 PM EDT
[#49]
Quoted:

View Quote

Suspending reason and believing in God are not mutually exclusive.
Link Posted: 7/3/2015 5:44:06 PM EDT
[#50]
Quoted:
Troll thread
View Quote

Arrow Left Previous Page
Page / 23
Close Join Our Mail List to Stay Up To Date! Win a FREE Membership!

Sign up for the ARFCOM weekly newsletter and be entered to win a free ARFCOM membership. One new winner* is announced every week!

You will receive an email every Friday morning featuring the latest chatter from the hottest topics, breaking news surrounding legislation, as well as exclusive deals only available to ARFCOM email subscribers.

By signing up you agree to our User Agreement. *Must have a registered ARFCOM account to win.
Top Top