Site Notices
Arrow Left Previous Page
Page / 8
Posted: 6/30/2015 5:00:37 PM EDT

Jeff Amyx, who owns Amyx Hardware & Roofing Supplies in Grainger
County, added the 'No Gays Allowed' sign because gay and lesbian couples
are against his religion.

Amyx, who is also a baptist minister, said he realized Monday morning
that homosexual people are not afraid to stand for what they believe in.
He said it showed him that Christian people should be brave enough to
stand for what they believe in.

Link Posted: 6/30/2015 5:02:34 PM EDT
[#1]
This thread is going to go places very quickly
Link Posted: 6/30/2015 5:03:01 PM EDT
[#2]
His store, his rules.

If it gets out, is deemed unpopular, and people boycott his store because of that, that is just the free market at work.

However, I suspect those that preach the loudest about "tolerance of different views" are the ones who also scream the loudest at having legal action taken against him.
Link Posted: 6/30/2015 5:03:03 PM EDT
[#3]
Eh, think he's stupid to turn down business, but I think it should be his right to do so.

Link Posted: 6/30/2015 5:04:20 PM EDT
[#4]
Tagging  this one early
Link Posted: 6/30/2015 5:04:34 PM EDT
[#5]
I am fine with that.

People should be able to conduct business with whoever (or not) they want.
Link Posted: 6/30/2015 5:04:36 PM EDT
[#6]
Discussion ForumsJump to Quoted PostQuote History
Quoted:
Eh, think he's stupid to turn down business, but I think it should be his right to do so.

View Quote

Yep
Link Posted: 6/30/2015 5:05:29 PM EDT
[#7]
Hope he's ok going out of business...

The guy is a social dinosaur, putting that sign up is analogous to having a "no blacks" sign. His business, his rules and all aside, I hope he's prepared for early retirement and possible lawsuits.
Link Posted: 6/30/2015 5:05:37 PM EDT
[#8]
Quoted:
His store, his rules.

If it gets out, is deemed unpopular, and people boycott his store because of that, that is just the free market at work.

However, I suspect those that preach the loudest about "tolerance of different views" are the ones who also scream the loudest at having legal action taken against him.
View Quote

I suspect you are correct.
Link Posted: 6/30/2015 5:05:55 PM EDT
[#9]

Link Posted: 6/30/2015 5:06:41 PM EDT
[#10]
The Equality SA will put him out of business by tomorrow morning.
Link Posted: 6/30/2015 5:06:41 PM EDT
[#11]
Quoted:
His store, his rules.

View Quote

Sorry to tell you, but that won't be happening in that town. If anything it'll get him more biz from Lowes in JC.
Link Posted: 6/30/2015 5:06:53 PM EDT
[#12]
From a business standpoint, he just made a dumb move.
Link Posted: 6/30/2015 5:07:17 PM EDT
[#13]
The market will decide.  I would assume it will not hurt business very much in that area.  

He should be free to serve who he wants.  I wouldn't do it, unless someone comes in to the place of business trying to make a point.

What's good for the goose, is good for the goose.  
Link Posted: 6/30/2015 5:07:33 PM EDT
[#14]
I support him and I hope he can ride the storm out...
Link Posted: 6/30/2015 5:07:42 PM EDT
[#15]
Home Depot and Lowe's are screwed.  They can't match that!
Link Posted: 6/30/2015 5:07:46 PM EDT
[#16]
Quoted:

The guy is a social dinosaur, putting that sign up is analogous to having a "no blacks" sign. His business, his rules and all aside, I hope he's prepared for early retirement and possible lawsuits.
View Quote

and i hope he gets away with it,   just because he can
Link Posted: 6/30/2015 5:08:18 PM EDT
[#17]
Quoted:

Sorry to tell you, but that won't be happening in that town. If anything it'll get him more biz from Lowes in JC.
View Quote View All Quotes
View All Quotes
Quoted:
Quoted:
His store, his rules.

There's some truth in this.  People in this area aren't very happy with the decision.
Link Posted: 6/30/2015 5:08:19 PM EDT
[#18]
He will have to bake the cake
Link Posted: 6/30/2015 5:08:32 PM EDT
[#19]
Quoted:

View Quote

Yes, cuz Grainger TN is a hot bed for homosexual activity.
Link Posted: 6/30/2015 5:08:37 PM EDT
[#20]
Quoted:
View Quote

Yeah.  All 3 gay homeowners in that town will refuse to buy roofing supplies from him.
Link Posted: 6/30/2015 5:09:09 PM EDT
[#21]
Quoted:

Yep
View All Quotes
Quoted:
Quoted:

Yep

Yep. It's not like they wanna convert him to the gay side. Maybe they just want to buy, oh I don't know, some fucking paint for their fucking house?
Link Posted: 6/30/2015 5:09:09 PM EDT
[#22]
Depending on the local community, he may have enough support to stay in business economically.

Problem will be all of the protestors that are shipped in trying to shut him down.

At some point one of these protests will get violent when the locals will have finally had enough.
Link Posted: 6/30/2015 5:09:15 PM EDT
[#23]
Quoted:

View Quote

Ehh maybe.
People lined up down the street for hate chicken after wrapping the building.
Couple locations  even had LEOs  directing traffic.
Link Posted: 6/30/2015 5:09:19 PM EDT
[#24]
Quoted:
Home Depot and Lowe's are screwed.  They can't match that!
View Quote

Link Posted: 6/30/2015 5:10:01 PM EDT
[#25]
Quoted:
His store, his rules.

View Quote

This.
Link Posted: 6/30/2015 5:10:37 PM EDT
[#26]
I am getting tired of the bending over backwards for 1-2% of the population.

MSM will make it seem that 25% of people are gay, but not true.

I don't agree with his sign, but will not put him out of business unless the 'big business gay machine' steps in.
Link Posted: 6/30/2015 5:10:41 PM EDT
[#27]
Quoted:

View Quote

I agree, unfortunately I don't think this will end well for him.
Link Posted: 6/30/2015 5:10:52 PM EDT
[#28]
Quoted:
View Quote

Maybe. Allot of publicity and depending on the neighborhood it could boost business.
Link Posted: 6/30/2015 5:12:31 PM EDT
[#29]
Quoted:
I am fine with that.

View Quote

You would think so, but in today's pc feels world, I'll bet there's a lawsuit within 60 days, and he'll probably lose.
Link Posted: 6/30/2015 5:13:58 PM EDT
[#30]
Quoted:
His store, his rules.

View Quote

We had that once. It lead to things like segregation. I guess a hardware store isn't life or death, but what if a hospital or a pharmacy denied service to gays, blacks, gun owners, etc? Is it still "their place, their rules"? If you can't rationalize refusing medical treatment of a person, you can't rationalize not selling them a wing nut.
Link Posted: 6/30/2015 5:15:03 PM EDT
[#31]
Quoted:

Yep. It's not like they wanna convert him to the gay side. Maybe they just want to buy, oh I don't know, some fucking paint for their fucking house?
View All Quotes
Quoted:
Quoted:
Quoted:

Yep

I bed you'd be the first one to bitch about the pink and purple house on your street though.
Link Posted: 6/30/2015 5:15:24 PM EDT
[#32]
Quoted:

View All Quotes
Quoted:
Quoted:
His store, his rules.

When I pointed out that most of the LGBT community just want to be left alone and that the vocal minority don't speak for the majority, I was informed it only takes one with a good lawyer. I hope this doesn't hurt him, but I'm not overly optimistic.
Link Posted: 6/30/2015 5:15:34 PM EDT
[#33]
Probably going to be more of a don't ask, don't tell policy. Unless you are dressed as Tinkerbell and/or holding hands with your gay lover I doubt you will get thrown out.
Link Posted: 6/30/2015 5:18:25 PM EDT
[#34]
Quoted:

Yep
View All Quotes
Quoted:
Quoted:

Yep

Link Posted: 6/30/2015 5:18:37 PM EDT
[#35]
Good move - he's going to get more business in that neck of the woods.

There aren't any gay pride parades in Grainger county, folks.
Link Posted: 6/30/2015 5:18:51 PM EDT
[#36]
What happens when a gay couple enter a town while on a road trip that is nearly all against gays and can't buy gas or food?
Link Posted: 6/30/2015 5:20:05 PM EDT
[#37]
Quoted:
What happens when a gay couple enter a town while on a road trip that is nearly all against gays and can't buy gas or food?
View Quote

Starve and die?
Link Posted: 6/30/2015 5:20:05 PM EDT
[#38]

Quoted:

View All Quotes
Quoted:

Quoted:

Quoted:

Yep

Can the DOJ get there?
Link Posted: 6/30/2015 5:21:14 PM EDT
[#39]

Quoted:

View Quote

Start a crowdfunding campaign and profit.

Link Posted: 6/30/2015 5:21:21 PM EDT
[#40]
Well, once he gets sued and loses his store to some butt hurt member of the gay community in a civil rights lawsuit, everyone will know where to go for fabulous interior decorating tips and supplies.
Link Posted: 6/30/2015 5:21:25 PM EDT
[#41]
Quoted:
I am fine with that.

View Quote

For ANY reason imo.

Bolsheviks will disagree.
Link Posted: 6/30/2015 5:21:51 PM EDT
[#42]
Quoted:
View Quote

How would anyone know you're a gay couple?

Pull up to the service station and say "WE JUST GOT MARRIED!  THANKS OBAMA!"?

No.  You wouldn't do that, just like you wouldn't pull into a service station in Detroit and tell the guy "I hate n-words"
Link Posted: 6/30/2015 5:22:27 PM EDT
[#43]
First rule of business is never chase away money.
Link Posted: 6/30/2015 5:22:54 PM EDT
[#44]
Quoted:

No.  You wouldn't do that, just like you wouldn't pull into a service station in Detroit and tell the guy "I hate n-words"
View All Quotes
Quoted:
Quoted:

Gays love to advertise they are gay, they can't help it.
Link Posted: 6/30/2015 5:22:57 PM EDT
[#45]
if i had a business that was failing.. ( not saying this guys is).. id stick up a no gays sign..... start a internet stink....... get a facebook / internet crusade going...... then bemoan the fact im losing business..... start a go fund me account.. then rake in a million bucks from the gay haters, and go out of business a month later... " cause i fear for my life"...
boom.... retired...

just like if you have a failing country.... you attack america.. then get carpet bombed.... and a month later were giving you billions to rebuild your busted assed shithole country. its money in the bank.
Link Posted: 6/30/2015 5:23:01 PM EDT
[#46]
Quoted:

Starve and die?
View All Quotes
Quoted:
Quoted:

Starve and die?

Maybe they don't need to announce to the world that they sodomize each other?

Oh wait that's too hard for them.

Imagine if every time I walked into a restaurant I announced to everyone there "I like to have sex with my female wife!".

That is the equivalent of what gays are doing.

Link Posted: 6/30/2015 5:23:17 PM EDT
[#47]
I hope he's got other talents...
Link Posted: 6/30/2015 5:24:02 PM EDT
[#48]
Good for him, I would give him my full support
Link Posted: 6/30/2015 5:24:15 PM EDT
[#49]
Link Posted: 6/30/2015 5:24:30 PM EDT
[#50]
Quoted:
Jeff Amyx, who owns Amyx Hardware & Roofing Supplies in Grainger County, added the 'No Gays Allowed' sign because gay and lesbian couples are against his religion.

Amyx, who is also a baptist minister, said he realized Monday morning that homosexual people are not afraid to stand for what they believe in. He said it showed him that Christian people should be brave enough to stand for what they believe in.

http://www.wbir.com/story/news/local/claiborne-hancock-grainger-union/2015/06/30/store-puts-up-no-gays-allowed-sign-after-same-sex-marriage-ruling/29497621/

View Quote

His sign has somewhere between jack and shit to do with Christianity.
Arrow Left Previous Page
Page / 8
Close Join Our Mail List to Stay Up To Date! Win a FREE Membership!

Sign up for the ARFCOM weekly newsletter and be entered to win a free ARFCOM membership. One new winner* is announced every week!

You will receive an email every Friday morning featuring the latest chatter from the hottest topics, breaking news surrounding legislation, as well as exclusive deals only available to ARFCOM email subscribers.

By signing up you agree to our User Agreement. *Must have a registered ARFCOM account to win.
Top Top