Are you sure you wish to do this?

Confirm Cancel
BCM
User Panel

Site Notices
Arrow Left Previous Page
Page / 3
Posted: 5/29/2015 11:59:07 AM EDT
I would say crawfish but that's food, not a pet. Anyway, we're having a big crawfish boil today at work. I asked if I could keep one as they're all in water and alive. I was told I could.

My 5 yr old would love one. I had one as a kid and thought it was neat.

I know you can't keep them with anything else save for maybe a snail. A small tank would suffice. A five gallon maybe?

What would you feed it besides feeder fish? I know, crustacean, scavenger yada yada.

Anyway, looking for advice.
Link Posted: 5/29/2015 12:00:02 PM EDT
[#1]
Guess it's no differnt from a turttle?
Link Posted: 5/29/2015 12:02:43 PM EDT
[#2]
I tried numerous times when I was about 10. Tried everything I could think of then to keep them alive—bubblers, no butler but daily water changes, etc.—but could never keep them alive long. YMMV.
Link Posted: 5/29/2015 12:03:47 PM EDT
[#3]
No different than keeping a goldfish as a pet. They're pretty cool, I used to have a couple.
Link Posted: 5/29/2015 12:03:51 PM EDT
[#4]
I've never made my lunch a pet before.  I'm not planning to start anytime soon.
Link Posted: 5/29/2015 12:04:00 PM EDT
[#5]
When I was a kid I would catch them and put them in the 55 gallon fresh water fish tank we had. They lived as far as I can remember...
Link Posted: 5/29/2015 12:04:59 PM EDT
[#6]
Until you have felt the love and affection of a crayfish, you haven't lived.
Link Posted: 5/29/2015 12:06:09 PM EDT
[#7]
My brother had one as a kid in a small open top tank.

It lived about a year before it died when it was shedding/molting it's skin.
Link Posted: 5/29/2015 12:07:46 PM EDT
[#8]
My 8 year old daughter just brought one home from school.  Keep it in a plastic tub with some rocks and enough water to keep it moist, not soaked.  Feed it cat food or dog food.  They used a solo cup cut in half for a hide for it.  Change the water every week to 10 days.  Not very much work at all.
Link Posted: 5/29/2015 12:07:50 PM EDT
[#9]
I used to keep native tanks and crayfish were always in them.

They tend to get straight to the bottom and burrow under any available structures, so I would always build a "cave" that had one side exposed to the glass. They'd promptly move in and "remodel"; seal off all but one entrance and bulldoze the inside out for more space.  Fascinating to watch them.

They lived forever and got HUGE, because they eat anything.  They also did a great job of keeping the uneaten food off the bottom of the tank.

Every so often, you'd see what you thought was a dead one on the bottom of the tank...get the net, scoop him out, only to find that it was a hollow shell left after molting.

Pretty fun to watch when they would cross onto each other's turf.  Epic battles, claws shed, but usually no mortal damage.  

All the ones I had didn't bother the fish.  Even the bottom dwellers were quick enough to avoid them.

Makes me want to set up an aquarium again.
Link Posted: 5/29/2015 12:08:12 PM EDT
[#10]
I'd say a 20 gallon tank minimum. Make sure he has some structure to hide in.

Get feeder gold fish and hobble them before you drop them in the tank.

Clean out the moltings when they grow.

They're pretty cool to watch.
Link Posted: 5/29/2015 12:08:41 PM EDT
[#11]
ANd when the kid gets tired of it... you can eat it
Link Posted: 5/29/2015 12:10:01 PM EDT
[#12]
I put one I caught in our fish tank when I was a kid (I didn't tell anyone). It ate all my sister's fish.
Link Posted: 5/29/2015 12:10:52 PM EDT
[#13]
I kept one as a kid in an old ice chest for a few months. Fed it chunks of liver and potato chips. We would play with it in the yard trying to get it to fight scorpions that we had caught. One day my brother left it out and it died.
Link Posted: 5/29/2015 12:10:54 PM EDT
[#14]
Who did you have to ask if you could keep one?
Link Posted: 5/29/2015 12:11:59 PM EDT
[#15]
I had two.  They survived just fine until I added some piranha
Link Posted: 5/29/2015 12:12:16 PM EDT
[#16]
I used to always keep a couple in my tanks.
Just have fish bigger than them and you won't have to worry about losing any.

They eat anything really.  Feeder fish, fish food that sank to the bottom. Frozen brine shrimp, etc

Just make sure the tank is covered because they will eventually jump out and crawl 1/2 way around your house and then die
Link Posted: 5/29/2015 12:12:28 PM EDT
[#17]
Go to the grocery store and get a 5lb bag of crawfish.  (get some potatoes, corn, and Andouille as well)

Boil a huge pot of water.

Take one of the crawfish out of the bag and set it aside.

Pour the remaining crawfish into the pot of boiling water.

Make the surviving crawfish watch and listen to the screams of the dying.

You will then have it's undying love and devotion.

Link Posted: 5/29/2015 12:13:29 PM EDT
[#18]
I never could get the ones we have up here to live long.  They are in pretty cold water usually, so water temp probably had a lot to do with it.
Link Posted: 5/29/2015 12:14:52 PM EDT
[#19]
Discussion ForumsJump to Quoted PostQuote History
Quoted:
My 8 year old daughter just brought one home from school.  Keep it in a plastic tub with some rocks and enough water to keep it moist, not soaked.  Feed it cat food or dog food.  They used a solo cup cut in half for a hide for it.  Change the water every week to 10 days.  Not very much work at all.
View Quote

Dafuq?

Are you talking about frogs or crayfish?

Crayfish breathe water with gills, they need to be fully submerged most of the time.

Moist is also a horrible word and you should feel bad for using it.

Link Posted: 5/29/2015 12:15:52 PM EDT
[#20]

Quoted:

Who did you have to ask if you could keep one?
View Quote
The guy that bought them.

Link Posted: 5/29/2015 12:16:55 PM EDT
[#21]

Quoted:

Go to the grocery store and get a 5lb bag of crawfish.  (get some potatoes, corn, and Andouille as well)

Boil a huge pot of water.

Take one of the crawfish out of the bag and set it aside.

Pour the remaining crawfish into the pot of boiling water.

Make the surviving crawfish watch and listen to the screams of the dying.

You will then have it's undying love and devotion.

View Quote
I like your style

Link Posted: 5/29/2015 12:16:58 PM EDT
[#22]
I could never keep one alive for very long...

Link Posted: 5/29/2015 12:19:45 PM EDT
[#23]
Quoted:
View Quote

that sounds like a hermit crab
Link Posted: 5/29/2015 12:22:56 PM EDT
[#24]
Someone put one in the aquarium here at work.  It lived for a little while but I pretty sure it pissed up the big pleco they have in there and that thing killed it.
Link Posted: 5/29/2015 12:22:59 PM EDT
[#25]
Quoted:
View Quote

Yeah, they're more of a science project pet than a real pet, but they'll live a while if you keep the habitat clean. Those plastic shoe boxes work well. My daughter had one for a while in 3rd or 4th grade.
Link Posted: 5/29/2015 12:27:03 PM EDT
[#26]
I kept one in a 55 gal freshwater tank for about a year.  Was a great bottom feeder and helped keep the tank clean.  I'm not sure how long it will live as I sold my fish, tore the tank down, and threw the crawdad in an irrigation ditch prior to a college summer move.  I'd do it again.
Link Posted: 5/29/2015 12:27:29 PM EDT
[#27]
My daughter brought one home from school a year ago. Its gotten pretty big. Kind cool low maintenance pet for your kid.
Link Posted: 5/29/2015 12:51:04 PM EDT
[#28]
My sons fish tank is full of all kinds of tiny pond and stream life I find while fishing.  I got him a crayfish once, but the damn bullhead ate it within a week.  Fucker also ate all the minnows, and the small perch.
Link Posted: 5/29/2015 12:52:07 PM EDT
[#29]
Aren't they brackish water creatures? Fresh water would kill them

Posted Via AR15.Com Mobile
Link Posted: 5/29/2015 12:55:00 PM EDT
[#30]
IIRC they are surprising sensitive to water quality.  If you treat them like a Beta, I would not suspect much luck.  Put them in an aquarium that has an established nitrate cycle and don't chlorinate them - probably better luck.

They live all over the US, so suspect they can deal with fresh water.

Link Posted: 5/29/2015 12:55:12 PM EDT
[#31]
Quoted:
Guess it's no differnt from a turttle?
View Quote

be not deceived. owning a turtle is a goddamn money pit.
Link Posted: 5/29/2015 12:57:16 PM EDT
[#32]
I had one for several years in a 20 gallon tank with a channel catfish,large mouth bass and a blue gill.He would stay under a rock pile and when you threw in a chunk of hotdog,he'd come out with claws high and take it.Pretty cool.The large mouth would jump out of the water and snatch crickets from your hand.
Link Posted: 5/29/2015 1:00:32 PM EDT
[#33]
Link Posted: 5/29/2015 1:01:18 PM EDT
[#34]
We had them in our aquariums all the time in college.  They never ate any of the fish (but they always tried) and sometimes some little fish would surprisingly kill and eat them.  We'd also buy 'feeder' crayfish to feed to the big oscars.  

Those things can escape too.  Had one disappear out of a tank once.  Looked to find the carcass before it started stinking but didn't find it.  Then 2 days later my room mate was up late studying and saw a very dried out crayfish walking across the floor.
Link Posted: 5/29/2015 1:01:28 PM EDT
[#35]
To me a pet is something that will display affection back to you.  To me fish/lizzards/etc are just stuff you have to take care of.  IMHO

Get a Saltwater tank there are some really cool Shrimps and Crabs you can get for those.
Link Posted: 5/29/2015 1:03:13 PM EDT
[#36]

Quoted:

View Quote
Brackish means both species thrive in that water. Crayfish are most certainly fresh water

Link Posted: 5/29/2015 1:07:08 PM EDT
[#37]
Quoted:

View Quote

We have them in Ohio.
Link Posted: 5/29/2015 1:07:31 PM EDT
[#38]
Quoted:
To me a pet is something that will display affection back to you.  To me fish/lizzards/etc are just stuff you have to take care of.  IMHO

Get a Saltwater tank there are some really cool Shrimps and Crabs you can get for those.
View Quote

Amen! As a lifelong animal-lover and caretaker of various lifeforms... I just don't have the energy to keep a bunch of crap alive anymore that doesn't care whether I live or die. I just stick to my lap cat (she cares) and our two dogs now.

My youngest son won a goldfish at the carnival recently and asked me "Dad, can I keep it at your house?". NOPE!!! Because that means that I will be doing all of the caring for it from now on. The last pair of goldfish that my kids brought home, I ended-up taking care of for SIX years. I've warned my kids about bringing new "pets" home since then. Being a slave to kids and dogs is plenty! I'm content to leave wild animals in the wild where they belong these days.
Link Posted: 5/29/2015 1:08:51 PM EDT
[#39]
They sell the blue and white ones on Amazon.
Link Posted: 5/29/2015 1:23:21 PM EDT
[#40]
Get one from a bait shop.  They're a little more hardy than the ones you get for food.  

Years ago, I kept a couple of dozen of them on hand to use for fish bait.  I kept them in a 20 gallon rubbermaid tote with a couple of fishtank aerators.  I fed them baloney.  
Link Posted: 5/29/2015 1:24:39 PM EDT
[#41]
Not sure if it's the stress from harvest, but the suckers you buy for food will be dead in 3-4 days if they're not cooked.
Link Posted: 5/29/2015 1:27:41 PM EDT
[#42]
I used to have two hammers cobalt blue lobsters (blue crawfish) as pets. One would always tear the others pinchers off. but they grow back when they molt. Easy to care for, just make sure you have a tight lid on the aquarium, and fast moving fish.
Link Posted: 5/29/2015 1:29:16 PM EDT
[#43]
Quoted:
Not sure if it's the stress from harvest, but the suckers you buy for food will be dead in 3-4 days if they're not cooked.
View Quote

this is true, I had a crawfish boil two weeks ago and tried to keep three. All dead. the blue ones I had lived for 4 years. (3-5 year lifespan)
Link Posted: 5/29/2015 1:30:05 PM EDT
[#44]
PetCO sells them as lobsters. Seriously.
I thought it was a misprint on the tag so I asked.
The employee said not enough people know they're Crawfish, so they label them as lobsters.
We are in Lousiana....

They eat anything. Take a shit in your tank...they're on it.
Link Posted: 5/29/2015 1:32:00 PM EDT
[#45]
Pond water is the answer. Go get a bucket of murky pond water and a bubbler to airate the water. Creek rocks for the bottom of the tank.

They wont make it in clean water.

you want to make it as much like creek water as posible.

when I was a kid, I kept all kinds of wild aquatic animals. They all did best in pond water.

I loved watching the insects and other critters.
Link Posted: 5/29/2015 1:34:04 PM EDT
[#46]
Quoted:

Amen! As a lifelong animal-lover and caretaker of various lifeforms... I just don't have the energy to keep a bunch of crap alive anymore that doesn't care whether I live or die. I just stick to my lap cat (she cares) and our two dogs now.

My youngest son won a goldfish at the carnival recently and asked me "Dad, can I keep it at your house?". NOPE!!! Because that means that I will be doing all of the caring for it from now on. The last pair of goldfish that my kids brought home, I ended-up taking care of for SIX years. I've warned my kids about bringing new "pets" home since then. Being a slave to kids and dogs is plenty! I'm content to leave wild animals in the wild where they belong these days.
View Quote View All Quotes
View All Quotes
Quoted:
Quoted:

This isn't the link I was looking for but it's similar. Skip to 4:00 if you are a TL;DW type and you cat loves you.
Link Posted: 5/29/2015 1:34:08 PM EDT
[#47]
they are suprisingly good escape artists
when I was in college the science classes where on the second floor
and they had a giant tank with a crawfish in it
crawfish managed to redirect the filtration discharge and pumped that entire tank on the floor

first time I have ever seen water running out of light fixtures
easily 10k worth of damage to the ceiling of the first floor
Link Posted: 5/29/2015 1:35:11 PM EDT
[#48]
When I was a little kid, I used to go to the lake and catch crawdads for my dad and uncle to eat (I never liked them).

The bait that worked best was a piece of raw bacon. I learned this from the other 20 guys out there catching crayfish... who were all using bacon as bait.

Don'y know why, but it worked.

Link Posted: 5/29/2015 1:44:34 PM EDT
[#49]
I kept one along with pond fish and a few minnows. The small bass and blue Gill never got eaten the minnows always got eaten quick. These fish we're all around an inch long so I know they didn't eat each other.

The crayfish would eat any meat that sank like ham or turkey, it also eats the fish food that falls maybe even the fish poop. I had the little rocks in the bottom of the tank and the crayfish would even pick the stuff from the pebble, b6 picking it up with the little legs by it's mouth and rotating the pebble by it's mouth it cleaned them off.
Link Posted: 5/29/2015 1:52:30 PM EDT
[#50]
Quoted:

This isn't the link I was looking for but it's similar. Skip to 4:00 if you are a TL;DW type and you cat loves you.
View Quote View All Quotes
View All Quotes
Quoted:
Quoted:
Quoted:

Meh... my damn cat won't stay out of my lap. She doesn't do that with my wife or anyone else in the house. Really gets to be a pain in the ass at times. But she does have an attachment to me. She'll let me pick her up upside-down and hold her that way while I rub her belly. I've got her complete trust (which isn't an easy thing to develop with a cat). She won't let anyone else do these things. Even my spoiled dags (akita and shiba) don't trust me to the level that she does... and I'm the alpha with them.
Arrow Left Previous Page
Page / 3
Close Join Our Mail List to Stay Up To Date! Win a FREE Membership!

Sign up for the ARFCOM weekly newsletter and be entered to win a free ARFCOM membership. One new winner* is announced every week!

You will receive an email every Friday morning featuring the latest chatter from the hottest topics, breaking news surrounding legislation, as well as exclusive deals only available to ARFCOM email subscribers.

By signing up you agree to our User Agreement. *Must have a registered ARFCOM account to win.
Top Top