Confirm Action

Are you sure you wish to do this?

Confirm Cancel
BCM
User Panel

Arrow Left Previous Page
Page / 3
Posted: 5/28/2015 1:32:32 AM EDT
I am taking English 102 as a summer class.  The teacher happens to be using the same book from my English 091 class.  Same stories to be read, same questions to be answered and same writing projects to be done.  Is it cheating if I turned my own old work back in?
Link Posted: 5/28/2015 1:33:37 AM EDT
[#1]
No?
Link Posted: 5/28/2015 1:34:33 AM EDT
[#2]
Well since it's your own work I'm going to say no. You might want to tweak it & try to get a better grade though.
Link Posted: 5/28/2015 1:36:07 AM EDT
[#3]
Not cheating.
Link Posted: 5/28/2015 1:36:50 AM EDT
[#4]
I read through it for a refresher, and then reuse my work.  Homework is just test prep anyway.
Link Posted: 5/28/2015 1:38:37 AM EDT
[#5]
Discussion ForumsJump to Quoted PostQuote History
Quoted:
Well since it's your own work I'm going to say no. You might want to tweak it & try to get a better grade though.
View Quote

This sounds good.  Or, you could challenge yourself with all new work.  Is turning in your old assignments going to keep you up at night?

Posted Via AR15.Com Mobile
Link Posted: 5/28/2015 1:39:13 AM EDT
[#6]
Not in my opinion , I've turned in the same paper twice and my conscience is clear.
Link Posted: 5/28/2015 1:42:39 AM EDT
[#7]
Yes/kinda/no/maybe/probably(not).  Do the work again. Otherwise you'd be selling yourself short.
Link Posted: 5/28/2015 1:43:22 AM EDT
[#8]
Fo!
Link Posted: 5/28/2015 1:44:15 AM EDT
[#9]
Quoted:
View Quote

I'm gonna go with this.
Link Posted: 5/28/2015 1:47:26 AM EDT
[#10]
Link Posted: 5/28/2015 1:47:26 AM EDT
[#11]
Quoted:

This sounds good.  Or, you could challenge yourself with all new work.  Is turning in your old assignments going to keep you up at night?

View Quote View All Quotes
View All Quotes
Quoted:
Quoted:

Most likely.
Link Posted: 5/28/2015 1:49:42 AM EDT
[#12]
Quoted:
In principle it should be fine, but be sure to check the specific policies at your universities.  I know that at some universities, what you describe would in fact be considered cheating.

Is it too late to change the class?  I'd hate to be paying money for a repeat of stuff I'd already done.
View Quote

I have to take it. I just want to be a lowly welder, but English 102 is required.
Link Posted: 5/28/2015 1:50:03 AM EDT
[#13]
If the old work was published somewhere, it would be self-plagiarism and cheating.

If the old work was not published, it is just regular cheating.

But, you do whatever you think is right, and within whatever student conduct code to which you agreed by attending the school.

ETA: If it is all the same assignments with nothing different, why is it offered? Is there no way to challenge or test out of a superfluous class?
Link Posted: 5/28/2015 1:53:39 AM EDT
[#14]
Link Posted: 5/28/2015 1:54:09 AM EDT
[#15]
Quoted:
If the old work was published somewhere, it would be self-plagiarism and cheating.

But, you do whatever you think is right, and within whatever student conduct code to which you agreed by attending the school.

ETA: If it is all the same assignments with nothing different, why is it offered? Is there no way to challenge or test out of a superfluous class?
View Quote

How is it cheating?
He can just say it was perfect the first time so after reviewing it he decided not to change anything.
Link Posted: 5/28/2015 1:55:55 AM EDT
[#16]
Guy I knew at Central Michigan University got in trouble for turning in the same work for another class, they called it plagiarism.

No bull shit, he almost got expelled for plagiarism.

It was some kind of writing assignment that was identical to another he had done.
Link Posted: 5/28/2015 1:57:21 AM EDT
[#17]
Quoted:

How is it cheating?
He can just say it was perfect the first time so after reviewing it he decided not to change anything.
View All Quotes
Quoted:
Quoted:

How is it cheating?

+1

If the university is lazy enough to allow two sequential classes to use the exact same curriculum, why should OP be any less lazy?

If it was good enough for the first time, it will be good enough for the second time.
Link Posted: 5/28/2015 1:59:29 AM EDT
[#18]
yes.  self-plagiarism is a breach of academic ethics, and is taken quite seriously.  i'm not kidding.  your work for the course is supposed to be original work.  if you are not producing original work for an assignment, it is an offense.
Link Posted: 5/28/2015 2:00:56 AM EDT
[#19]
Quoted:
Guy I knew at Central Michigan University got in trouble for turning in the same work for another class, they called it plagiarism.

It was some kind of writing assignment that was identical to another he had done.
View Quote

OP's 101 class is plagiarizing the curriculum of the 091 class.  If they call him on it, he should call them on it.  OP paid to learn something new, if the curriculum is the same they are ripping him off.
Link Posted: 5/28/2015 2:01:31 AM EDT
[#20]
Quoted:

View Quote

This is the second time I have taken English 102.  The first time was last semester.  The teacher was supposedly some Harvard professor, he rambled for two weeks about philosophy....about babies being able to hear their mothers being beaten while they are in the womb.  Two weeks of nothing remotely close to an English 102 class.  I dropped that class on the second week and was able to get a refund on my class.  Summer classes are only 5 weeks long. So today, the second day would have been the last day to drop.  I just need to get through this class so I can get on with actual welding classes.
Link Posted: 5/28/2015 2:02:37 AM EDT
[#21]
Link Posted: 5/28/2015 2:04:49 AM EDT
[#22]
school fail making you pay for a re-run, so no.
Link Posted: 5/28/2015 2:07:23 AM EDT
[#23]

John Fogerty says "You can't plagiarize yourself!"

Link Posted: 5/28/2015 2:09:12 AM EDT
[#24]
Where I'm from......courses that were numbered under 100 don't count towards a degree.  Keep that in mind.

Aloha, Mark
Link Posted: 5/28/2015 2:15:48 AM EDT
[#25]
Quoted:
Where I'm from......courses that were numbered under 100 don't count towards a degree.  Keep that in mind.

Aloha, Mark
View Quote

I'm aware.  I am pretty sure that goes for everywhere.  I had to take 091, 101 and finally 102.  Are you trying to say that since 091 doesn't count towards a college degree that its less like cheating or self plagiarism?
Link Posted: 5/28/2015 2:19:20 AM EDT
[#26]
No, you already did the work, and its your work.
Link Posted: 5/28/2015 2:19:51 AM EDT
[#27]
English 102 is basically "how to write a research paper." It's probably all in MLA style. You very likely won't be able to turn in your old work.
Link Posted: 5/28/2015 2:21:16 AM EDT
[#28]
Quoted:
I am taking English 102 as a summer class.  The teacher happens to be using the same book from my English 091 class.  Same stories to be read, same questions to be answered and same writing projects to be done.  Is it cheating if I turned my own old work back in?
View Quote

Most syllabi I've read for the courses I've done suggest that it would be cheating.  It depends on your professor/instructor/lecturer, but in a 100 level english class my guess is the answer will be yes, it's cheating.
Link Posted: 5/28/2015 2:23:42 AM EDT
[#29]
Quoted:

That sucks.  

Another option could be to talk to the instructor and explain the situation and ask if there are maybe some alternative assignments,  that way, he might give you some more challenging or fun assignments.  But, once you open that door, you obviously can't close it again, so make sure you are sure before you do that.  
View All Quotes
Quoted:
Quoted:
Quoted:
In principle it should be fine, but be sure to check the specific policies at your universities.  I know that at some universities, what you describe would in fact be considered cheating.

Is it too late to change the class?  I'd hate to be paying money for a repeat of stuff I'd already done.

I have to take it. I just want to be a lowly welder, but English 102 is required.

That sucks.  

Another option could be to talk to the instructor and explain the situation and ask if there are maybe some alternative assignments,  that way, he might give you some more challenging or fun assignments.  But, once you open that door, you obviously can't close it again, so make sure you are sure before you do that.  

turnitin is probably going to flag it anyway, he's not going to get away with it if the instructor doesn't know about it.
Link Posted: 5/28/2015 2:23:49 AM EDT
[#30]
Your new best friend. It's not perfect, but it does most of the heavy lifting.

Thank me later...
Link Posted: 5/28/2015 2:28:12 AM EDT
[#31]
SigChef. "Would It Be Cheating?" Would It Be Cheating? - Page 1 - AR15.COM. Ar15.com, 28 May 2015. Web. 28 May 2015.
Link Posted: 5/28/2015 2:28:19 AM EDT
[#32]
Quoted:

+1

If the university is lazy enough to allow two sequential classes to use the exact same curriculum, why should OP be any less lazy?

If it was good enough for the first time, it will be good enough for the second time.
View All Quotes
Quoted:
Quoted:
Quoted:

How is it cheating?

+1

As DKProf stated, if the university has a policy, the policy controls.  All of the universities I have attended had such a policy.  You can justify it any way you like, I was just sharing my experience.  If it is for different classes, likely there will be differences among the assignments.  If there is no difference between classes which are given different titles, then do what you wish/feel is right/think you can get away with and be prepared to accept whatever consequences there may be.
Link Posted: 5/28/2015 2:29:46 AM EDT
[#33]
Quoted:

OP's 101 class is plagiarizing the curriculum of the 091 class.  If they call him on it, he should call them on it.  OP paid to learn something new, if the curriculum is the same they are ripping him off.
View All Quotes
Quoted:
Quoted:

Their university, their rules.  Wouldn't that be the phrase here?
Link Posted: 5/28/2015 2:33:52 AM EDT
[#34]
Quoted:

Thank me later...
View Quote

Thanks, I know MLA and have used that site before.  I have written papers for History and Biological Anthropology, I'm not full retard.....just partial.  There is a website used by the CC that I'm attending that stores your papers and checks for plagiarism.  I however never had to submit any of my papers for 091 to that site, so I doubt they would ever be flagged.  I am going to do new material though, I can't bear to think of Arfcom viewing me as lazy or a self plagiarizer.
Link Posted: 5/28/2015 2:34:30 AM EDT
[#35]
No, it's not "fine".

http://www.du.ac.in/du/uploads/research/06122014ithenticate-selfplagiarism.pdf

primarily because you're misrepresenting your writing as new (in response to the assignment given recently). This is academic dishonesty, not to mention lazy.

I would suggest that anyone that disagrees contact their dean / department heads to get confirmation that this is kosher with school policy. The fact that the OP decided to ask a bunch of strangers with no knowledge of those policies and, collectively, questionable morals, speaks volumes. I've gone through 8 years of college education thus far and have never once even thought about turning in the same work twice. Take pride in what you do, work your ass off, and when you're done you will have actually accomplished something and improved yourself. Alternatively, you can be a lazy ass, intent on taking the path of least resistance at every turn, and wind up with a piece of paper that really doesn't mean shit. Every school I've ever been to, you get out of it what you put into it. Don't cheat yourself out of learning.
Link Posted: 5/28/2015 2:35:46 AM EDT
[#36]
Quoted:

View Quote

Depending on the school, turning in your own work is considered plagiarism. Even for the same course repeated a second time.
Link Posted: 5/28/2015 2:35:50 AM EDT
[#37]
Quoted:
SigChef. "Would It Be Cheating?" Would It Be Cheating? - Page 1 - AR15.COM. Ar15.com, 28 May 2015. Web. 28 May 2015.
View Quote

I promise to not turn my papers in under my Arfcom screen name and I would be shocked if my liberal homosexual English teacher was surfing this site......or searching google for anything that would bring this up.
Link Posted: 5/28/2015 2:37:51 AM EDT
[#38]
Quoted:

Thanks, I know MLA and have used that site before.  I have written papers for History and Biological Anthropology, I'm not full retard.....just partial.  There is a website used by the CC that I'm attending that stores your papers and checks for plagiarism.  I however never had to submit any of my papers for 091 to that site, so I doubt they would ever be flagged.  I am going to do new material though, I can't bear to think of Arfcom viewing me as lazy or a self plagiarizer.
View All Quotes
Quoted:
Quoted:

Thank me later...

Sounds like you're going to be fine. Even if the book is the same, the prompts will be way different. I can't count the amount of times I had to read Leviathan and Second Treatise on Civil Government.
Link Posted: 5/28/2015 2:41:22 AM EDT
[#39]
Quoted:

This is the second time I have taken English 102.  The first time was last semester.  The teacher was supposedly some Harvard professor, he rambled for two weeks about philosophy....about babies being able to hear their mothers being beaten while they are in the womb.  Two weeks of nothing remotely close to an English 102 class.  I dropped that class on the second week and was able to get a refund on my class.  Summer classes are only 5 weeks long. So today, the second day would have been the last day to drop.  I just need to get through this class so I can get on with actual welding classes.
View All Quotes
Quoted:
Quoted:

Sucks that you have to re-take it and that your professor didn't bother to teach the first time.  I have had classes where professors didn't bother to teach the curriculum, but tested it anyway.  Good for you getting out from under it.  

I have done extra work and on occasion written papers on similar topics because it was the right thing to do.  It may have been stupid and I may have been able to get away with not doing the work, but it was an integrity issue for me.  You may want to talk to your adviser and figure out if there is a way you can test out or challenge out, if the work is all the same as the class you have already completed and passed (Eng 091?).  If it was me, I'd grin and bear it, learn from it what I could, and have some fun with taking different positions on papers if given the opportunity.  

Your mileage may vary.
Link Posted: 5/28/2015 2:50:35 AM EDT
[#40]
Quoted:

If it was me, I'd grin and bear it, learn from it what I could, and have some fun with taking different positions on papers if given the opportunity.  

Your mileage may vary.
View All Quotes
Quoted:
Quoted:
Quoted:

If it was me, I'd grin and bear it, learn from it what I could, and have some fun with taking different positions on papers if given the opportunity.  

Your mileage may vary.

Yup, this is the way I'm looking at it also.
Link Posted: 5/28/2015 2:54:57 AM EDT
[#41]
Do college kids these days actually turn in papers? Is it just an e-mail or what?
Do they print off what they type on the computer or is it long hand?
Back in my day, blah blah blah.
Link Posted: 5/28/2015 2:57:03 AM EDT
[#42]
Quoted:
Do college kids these days actually turn in papers? Is it just an e-mail or what?
View Quote

Depends on the class. Some classes are completely digital, some you still print them out and slide them under the professor's door.
Link Posted: 5/28/2015 3:05:27 AM EDT
[#43]
Quoted:
View Quote

Many of them now require they be submitted either through blackboard (which auto-submits to turnitin) or directly to turnitin.

Irritates the shit out of me, I hate that program, but it is what it is.
Link Posted: 5/28/2015 3:09:59 AM EDT
[#44]
Quoted:

Many of them now require they be submitted either through blackboard (which auto-submits to turnitin) or directly to turnitin.

View All Quotes
Quoted:
Quoted:

We use Canvas and I despise it.
Link Posted: 5/28/2015 3:12:04 AM EDT
[#45]
I don't think so. My ex is a year older than me. She's a proud Kentucky redneck that wrote her papers like she spoke. Example "we was fixing to go their" (Yes I know that's the wrong there. She's that dumb.) Instead of listening to her bitch about getting a bad grade, or spending 6 hours trying to fix her lack of comprehension of the English language, I just started writing her papers for her. I made a point to take all of the same gen ed classes she had. As long as they didn't have to be submitted via an online assignment (plagiarism) checker, I just turned the same paper back in with my name on it. No point in doing the work twice.
Link Posted: 5/28/2015 3:15:33 AM EDT
[#46]
Quoted:

View All Quotes
Quoted:
Quoted:
Quoted:

We used Canvas at UW. It beats the shit out of Angel. That was terrible...
Link Posted: 5/28/2015 4:12:25 AM EDT
[#47]
Yes. But go ahead and do it. Unless the prof finds out you'll only be cheating yourself.
Link Posted: 5/28/2015 4:18:08 AM EDT
[#48]
Quoted:

View Quote

1)  You CANNOT plagiarize yourself.  This is oxymoronical.  It is YOUR work.  YOU own it.  YOU can copy it or distribute it as you desire.

2)  That's a BS college stunt that perverts the meaning of plagiarism in order to make you write new work rather than use old, but still applicable work.  Doesn't mean you won't get expelled for it, but college profs can suck a cock if they are that kind of person.  In many ways, using "plagiarism" prohibitions to get students to do more work is a really dirty thing to do BECAUSE it perverts the meaning of the word.  You CANNOT plagiarize yourself UNLESS you are in college.

3)  I am so glad I am done with college and all the stupid bullshit that goes with it.
Link Posted: 5/28/2015 4:21:33 AM EDT
[#49]
Quoted:
Blah blah I was getting laid and didn't want to lose that so...I just turned the same paper back in with my name on it. No point in doing the work twice.
View Quote

So now we add to the OP who would, the one who did. Congrats.
Link Posted: 5/28/2015 4:23:21 AM EDT
[#50]
No.
Arrow Left Previous Page
Page / 3
Close Join Our Mail List to Stay Up To Date! Win a FREE Membership!

Sign up for the ARFCOM weekly newsletter and be entered to win a free ARFCOM membership. One new winner* is announced every week!

You will receive an email every Friday morning featuring the latest chatter from the hottest topics, breaking news surrounding legislation, as well as exclusive deals only available to ARFCOM email subscribers.

By signing up you agree to our User Agreement. *Must have a registered ARFCOM account to win.
Top Top