Confirm Cancel
BCM
User Panel

Site Notices
Arrow Left Previous Page
Page / 4
Posted: 4/26/2015 4:21:04 PM EDT
Everest Climbers Are Killed as Nepal Quake Sets Off Avalanche

NEW DELHI — A year after a deadly avalanche on Mount Everest ended the climbing season, multiple avalanches caused by the earthquake on Saturday rumbled down a treacherous icefall and slammed into the mountaineering base camp, killing at least 17 climbers and injuring at least 37 others, Nepalese officials said.

Alex Gavan, a hiker at the base camp, described on Twitter a “huge earthquake then huge avalanche” that sent him “running for life from my tent.” Mr. Gavan warned that many of the wounded would die if they were not evacuated soon. Nima Namgyal Sherpa, a guide at the base camp, said the avalanche caused many injuries. Nepalese tourism officials feared hundreds of climbers may have died.

“Many camps have been destroyed by the shake and wind from the avalanche,” Mr. Sherpa, the base camp manager for Asian Trekking, wrote in a post on Facebook. “All the doctors here are doing our best to treat and save lives.”

http://www.nytimes.com/2015/04/26/world/asia/everest-climbers-killed-as-nepal-quake-sets-off-avalanche.html?_r=0
View Quote

Link Posted: 4/26/2015 4:24:59 PM EDT
[#1]
I read at Nat Geo article that said there are dozens of bodies up on the mountain. George Mallory's body is still up there and recognizable. Some of the hiking party have directions that say "turn right at the body in the purple parka" why the fuck someone would want to risk their life like that?

Edit: I got my names mixed up.
Link Posted: 4/26/2015 4:28:27 PM EDT
[#2]
It'll be interesting to find out if Everest got any taller because of the quake.
Link Posted: 4/26/2015 4:29:06 PM EDT
[#3]
Discussion ForumsJump to Quoted PostQuote History
Quoted:
Edmund Hillary's body is still up there and recognizable.
View Quote

Link Posted: 4/26/2015 4:29:11 PM EDT
[#4]
Quoted:
I read at Nat Geo article that said there are dozens of bodies up on the mountain. Edmund Hillary's body is still up there and recognizable. Some of the hiking party have directions that say "turn right at the body in the purple parka" why the fuck someone would want to risk their life like that?
View Quote

No, it's not.
Link Posted: 4/26/2015 4:29:49 PM EDT
[#5]
Quoted:
I read at Nat Geo article that said there are dozens of bodies up on the mountain. Edmund Hillary's body is still up there and recognizable. Some of the hiking party have directions that say "turn right at the body in the purple parka" why the fuck someone would want to risk their life like that?
View Quote

Uh, wasn't Edmund Hillary cremated?

Lol, double beat.
Link Posted: 4/26/2015 4:30:22 PM EDT
[#6]
Quoted:

No, it's not.
View Quote View All Quotes
View All Quotes
Quoted:
Quoted:

No, it's not.

Are you sure? Maybe it was someone in his group.

Off to google.

I got my names mixed up. It was George Malloy, not Hillary. Edmund Hillary died on '07 in New Zealand.

https://adventure.howstuffworks.com/dead-everest1.htm
Link Posted: 4/26/2015 4:32:02 PM EDT
[#7]
Quoted:
View Quote

Called the "Rainbow Valley" due to the bright colored climbing clothing/gear.
Link Posted: 4/26/2015 4:32:45 PM EDT
[#8]
Everest is known as the mountain of trash. Prospective hikers and their guides just dump all the trash and feces which become frozen, visible from main encampments and trails. More evidence that the human race is just as disgusting as the nastiest vermin we contract exterminators to kill.
Link Posted: 4/26/2015 4:33:12 PM EDT
[#9]

Quoted:

NEW DELHI — A year after a deadly avalanche on Mount Everest ended the climbing season, multiple avalanches caused by the earthquake on Saturday rumbled down a treacherous icefall and slammed into the mountaineering base camp, killing at least 17 climbers and injuring at least 37 others, Nepalese officials said.

Alex Gavan, a hiker at the base camp, described on Twitter a "huge earthquake then huge avalanche” that sent him "running for life from my tent.” Mr. Gavan warned that many of the wounded would die if they were not evacuated soon. Nima Namgyal Sherpa, a guide at the base camp, said the avalanche caused many injuries. Nepalese tourism officials feared hundreds of climbers may have died.

"Many camps have been destroyed by the shake and wind from the avalanche,” Mr. Sherpa, the base camp manager for Asian Trekking, wrote in a post on Facebook. "All the doctors here are doing our best to treat and save lives.”

http://www.nytimes.com/2015/04/26/world/asia/everest-climbers-killed-as-nepal-quake-sets-off-avalanche.html?_r=0
View Quote

http://youtu.be/0CaT0VIJ468
View Quote

Damn.....talk a bout a squeaker!!!!  Which camp was it?

Link Posted: 4/26/2015 4:34:08 PM EDT
[#10]
Quoted:

Off to google.
View All Quotes
Quoted:
Quoted:
Quoted:

No, it's not.

Off to google.

They found his body, they removed a clothing tag that said his name. The body is still up there face down on the rocks in an area no one hikes. They noticed his leg was broken from the fall he took, so Edmund could not make it back down. The body isn't really recognizable I'm sure you can find the video on YouTube.
Link Posted: 4/26/2015 4:45:15 PM EDT
[#11]
Quoted:

They found his body, they removed a clothing tag that said his name. The body is still up there face down on the rocks in an area no one hikes. They noticed his leg was broken from the fall he took, so Edmund could not make it back down. The body isn't really recognizable I'm sure you can find the video on YouTube.
View All Quotes
Quoted:
Quoted:

Off to google.

You're thinking of George Mallory.
Link Posted: 4/26/2015 4:50:00 PM EDT
[#12]

Quoted:

Alex Gavan, a hiker at the base camp, described on Twitter a "huge earthquake then huge avalanche” that sent him "running for life from my tent.” Mr. Gavan warned that many of the wounded would die if they were not evacuated soon. Nima Namgyal Sherpa, a guide at the base camp, said the avalanche caused many injuries. Nepalese tourism officials feared hundreds of climbers may have died.

"Many camps have been destroyed by the shake and wind from the avalanche,” Mr. Sherpa, the base camp manager for Asian Trekking, wrote in a post on Facebook. "All the doctors here are doing our best to treat and save lives.”

View Quote

View Quote
Kinda puzzles me how these dipshits stood around while "hey man, the ground is shaking..", laughing.

I would think, being the pro explorers that they are, their heads would have been on a swivel doing avalanche watch.

Nope. ha ha ha...ground is shaking....ha ha...

Dumbasses.

Link Posted: 4/26/2015 4:50:05 PM EDT
[#13]
Those guys are lucky to have survived.  Like the cameraman said, "F*ck!  F*ck!  F*ck!"  
Link Posted: 4/26/2015 4:51:41 PM EDT
[#14]
Nature u scary
Link Posted: 4/26/2015 4:57:17 PM EDT
[#15]
Quoted:

View All Quotes
Quoted:
Quoted:
Quoted:
Quoted:

No, it's not.

Off to google.

Sir Edmund Hillary did NOT die on Everest.  You have him mixed up with George Mallory.  

I met Sir Edmund when I was a kid back in the late 60's. He sure looked good for someone that died and is still on Everest.
Link Posted: 4/26/2015 5:01:34 PM EDT
[#16]

FUCK THAT!!!

The total fatality rate over the past 56 years is nine percent, but as of 2004 that percentage had dropped to about 4.4 percent [source:
wisegeek.com].
Link Posted: 4/26/2015 5:02:16 PM EDT
[#17]
Where is The Rock when you need him?...
Link Posted: 4/26/2015 5:02:54 PM EDT
[#18]
Quoted:
Kinda puzzles me how these dipshits stood around while "hey man, the ground is shaking..", laughing.

I would think, being the pro explorers that they are, their heads would have been on a swivel doing avalanche watch.

Dumbasses.

View All Quotes
Quoted:
Quoted:

Dumbasses.

Not everyone that goes up is a "pro explorer".
Link Posted: 4/26/2015 5:04:05 PM EDT
[#19]

Quoted:

View Quote

Link Posted: 4/26/2015 5:06:16 PM EDT
[#20]
Gravity is a harsh mistress
Link Posted: 4/26/2015 5:07:58 PM EDT
[#21]
Quoted:
View Quote

Link Posted: 4/26/2015 5:09:39 PM EDT
[#22]

Quoted:
View All Quotes
Quoted:

Quoted:

There was a whole campaign that was dedicated to cleaning up the bodies off of Everest. Most were simply pushed over the side so as people didn't have to walk by them all the time. The one frozen women with the long hair flowing in the wind is what kind of got people to do the cleanup.

Link Posted: 4/26/2015 5:16:04 PM EDT
[#23]
Link Posted: 4/26/2015 5:19:41 PM EDT
[#24]
Bad deal.  Lots of people at basecamp this time of year getting ready to make an attempt.  Plus teams acclimatizing and sherpa's taking supplies up to camps 1-4.  

RIP
Link Posted: 4/26/2015 5:21:08 PM EDT
[#25]
All those people that died were probably well off financially or rich. You gotta dump a TON of money to make a Everest climb.
Link Posted: 4/26/2015 5:21:42 PM EDT
[#26]
Words of a man who things he going to die.,, Fuck, fuck, fuck!!!!
Link Posted: 4/26/2015 5:27:44 PM EDT
[#27]
I have a friend that left the middle of last month for a basecamp trek. He is supposed to be back the end of this month so he may have been there or he may have just started the trek out.

No one knows and no one has heard from him.
Link Posted: 4/26/2015 5:29:00 PM EDT
[#28]
Nothing like climbing the deadliest mountain in the world and then having to deal with a 7.8 earthquake.
Link Posted: 4/26/2015 5:32:19 PM EDT
[#29]
Quoted:
All those people that died were probably well off financially or rich. You gotta dump a TON of money to make a Everest climb.
View Quote

Some yes but not all. Certainly not the sherpas and porters. Or the people like my friend who are there just doing a trek to basecamp.

Even some of the climbers are regular people with regular jobs and money. Some people scrimp and save for years to have one shot at that thing.
Link Posted: 4/26/2015 5:33:00 PM EDT
[#30]
Well, the earthquake and avalanches just save some of those guys the trouble of hiking up there to die.

Link Posted: 4/26/2015 5:36:44 PM EDT
[#31]

Quoted:
Some yes but not all. Certainly not the sherpas and porters. Or the people like my friend who are there just doing a trek to basecamp.

Even some of the climbers are regular people with regular jobs and money. Some people scrimp and save for years to have one shot at that thing.
View All Quotes
Quoted:

Quoted:

Sherpas only make about $500 per climbing season. Its ok money for them but the risk is very high. When a Sherpa dies its effects the entire family they no longer have any income and the Gov't only pays the family $400 for their loss.

Link Posted: 4/26/2015 5:36:52 PM EDT
[#32]
Quoted:

Dumbasses.

View All Quotes
Quoted:
Quoted:

Dumbasses.

Where they gonna run!

Where they gonna go!

Answer: No damn where!!!.  You go to Everest, you die like a man when nature says die man.  Who you foolin?
Link Posted: 4/26/2015 5:38:01 PM EDT
[#33]
Don't worry arf.com. This won't happen in your mothers' basements. You can go back to playing COD.
Link Posted: 4/26/2015 5:51:44 PM EDT
[#34]
Link Posted: 4/26/2015 5:51:57 PM EDT
[#35]
IIRC, an article I read stated the cost was well beyond 25K to get the ball rolling...........

Quoted:
View Quote

Link Posted: 4/26/2015 5:56:01 PM EDT
[#36]

Quoted:

Off to google.

I got my names mixed up. It was George Malloy, not Hillary. Edmund Hillary died on '07 in New Zealand.

http://adventure.howstuffworks.com/dead-everest1.htm
View All Quotes
Quoted:

Quoted:

Quoted:

No, it's not.

Off to google.

http://adventure.howstuffworks.com/dead-everest1.htm
Did you know Hillary Clinton was named in honor of Sir Edmund Hillary?  Six years before he summited Everest, too.
Link Posted: 4/26/2015 5:57:25 PM EDT
[#37]
Dangerous mountain is dangerous
Link Posted: 4/26/2015 6:06:02 PM EDT
[#38]
Quoted:
IIRC, an article I read stated the cost was well beyond 25K to get the ball rolling...........

View All Quotes
Quoted:

Quoted:

According to the Discovery Channel yesterday, it runs up to $100k.

Link Posted: 4/26/2015 6:10:42 PM EDT
[#39]
Watched a documentary last night on last year's avalanche that took 16 people.
It sucks the Sherpa community got hit again.
Unfortunate event for sure.

The sitting woman: http://en.m.wikipedia.org/wiki/Hannelore_Schmatz
Link Posted: 4/26/2015 6:29:41 PM EDT
[#40]
Quoted:

Dumbasses.

View All Quotes
Quoted:
Quoted:

Dumbasses.

Everest base camp is at 18,000 ft, right in between to 24,000 ft peaks.  The air was already total soup from the weather when the earthquake hit.  Avalanches were coming down from every mountain, on three sides, with no visual indications because of the snow/fog.

Where in hell are you going to run to?  You are sitting in the lowest point of the valley ... as far away from the historical slides as you can get.

Pumori or Nuptse? It's a coin toss as to where the larger of the two slides was coming from.  And, with all of the echo, I'd imagine nobody would have a decent idea until it was too late.

There are always earthquakes in the region, but nobody has seen anything ever reach EBC like this.
Link Posted: 4/26/2015 6:36:05 PM EDT
[#41]
Quoted:
Nothing like climbing the deadliest mountain in the world and then having to deal with a 7.8 earthquake.
View Quote

Everest is by no means safe, but it's far from the deadliest mountain.
Link Posted: 4/26/2015 6:39:57 PM EDT
[#42]
Quoted:

View All Quotes
Quoted:
Quoted:

K2, Matterhorn, Eiger, Annapurna, Lohtse.
All deadly
Link Posted: 4/26/2015 6:41:12 PM EDT
[#43]
The Hillary step. Most people die when coming down it.

Traffic jam going up and coming down.

10,000ft cliff if you slip and fall.

Link Posted: 4/26/2015 6:51:10 PM EDT
[#44]
Thought they had installed a metal ladder at that point?

Edit. Hasn't  anybody noticed those ropes are mega frayed on the edge of that rock
Link Posted: 4/26/2015 6:54:26 PM EDT
[#45]
Quoted:
I have a friend that left the middle of last month for a basecamp trek. He is supposed to be back the end of this month so he may have been there or he may have just started the trek out.

No one knows and no one has heard from him.
View Quote

Hope your friend is ok.
Link Posted: 4/26/2015 6:55:28 PM EDT
[#46]
Quoted:
Thought they had installed a metal ladder at that point?

Edit. Hasn't  anybody noticed those ropes are mega frayed on the edge of that rock
View Quote

The Metal Ladder is on the North Side. It is on the Second step. As for the frayed ropes those are previous years ropes.
Link Posted: 4/26/2015 7:04:25 PM EDT
[#48]
Quoted:

View All Quotes
Quoted:
Quoted:

Quoted:

Are you guys unhappy with them for being able to dump up to $100k for a climb?  I'm just trying to figure out why this is relevant to what happened.
Link Posted: 4/26/2015 7:06:15 PM EDT
[#49]
Link Posted: 4/26/2015 7:12:50 PM EDT
[#50]
IMG has been relaying dispatches from EBC ...
http://www.mountainguides.com/everest-south15.shtml

Arrow Left Previous Page
Page / 4
Close Join Our Mail List to Stay Up To Date! Win a FREE Membership!

Sign up for the ARFCOM weekly newsletter and be entered to win a free ARFCOM membership. One new winner* is announced every week!

You will receive an email every Friday morning featuring the latest chatter from the hottest topics, breaking news surrounding legislation, as well as exclusive deals only available to ARFCOM email subscribers.

By signing up you agree to our User Agreement. *Must have a registered ARFCOM account to win.
Top Top