Confirm Action

Are you sure you wish to do this?

Confirm Cancel
BCM
User Panel

Arrow Left Previous Page
Page / 5
Posted: 4/26/2015 10:42:38 AM EDT
Well, I can guess how this topic will go.  But I am legit wondering why people put lift kits on full size trucks?  Are there any benefits besides the looks, if you like the looks?  I can understand lifting a Tacoma or S10 or small truck if you want to go offroading, but full size trucks don't strike me as good for offroading given their weight/width/length.  

Lifted trucks would be a pain in the ass to put stuff in/get stuff out of the bed, I imagine it hurts any gas mileage, and I rarely see lifted trucks towing anything, so I  would think they aren't the best for towing.  Also would seem to probably wear parts unnecessarily.

I can totally get lifting Jeeps/4 Runners things like that to offroad but why do people lift F350's?  

Flame me now.
Link Posted: 4/26/2015 10:43:23 AM EDT
[#1]
Its cool to be a bro
Link Posted: 4/26/2015 10:43:53 AM EDT
[#2]
How else are you going to clear those parking lot curbs bro?
Link Posted: 4/26/2015 10:44:34 AM EDT
[#3]
Link Posted: 4/26/2015 10:45:36 AM EDT
[#4]
Depends.

Suspension lift with larger tires?

Yeah.  Can really help on deeply rutted roads, obstacles, etc if you get into forest service land.

But you don't go and throw rubber band tires on them either.  

And you don't need the wacky high lifts that Bro trucks seem to have.  It's the extra tire height that really helps, not necessarily the higher truck.  Suspension lifts don't raise the axle, larger tires do.
Link Posted: 4/26/2015 10:46:13 AM EDT
[#5]
I just scratch my head when I see the extreme lifts.
Link Posted: 4/26/2015 10:46:46 AM EDT
[#6]
Ground clearance and style.

Posted Via AR15.Com Mobile
Link Posted: 4/26/2015 10:46:55 AM EDT
[#7]
Because if you work hard and earn money then you should have the things in life that you want.
Link Posted: 4/26/2015 10:47:21 AM EDT
[#8]
... fender room for large tires, providing greater ground clearance
Link Posted: 4/26/2015 10:49:53 AM EDT
[#9]
Discussion ForumsJump to Quoted PostQuote History
Quoted:
View Quote

Yes, I get this.

But why do they need more ground clearance in a F350 or Ram 2500?  I have NEVER seen a farmer drive a lifted truck, so I imagine they can get by just fine in a stock height truck with good tires in fields and such.

I guess I just think trying to wheel trails or a rock garden in a full size truck would be a little dumb.  Too heavy/wide/long to be effective?
Link Posted: 4/26/2015 10:50:04 AM EDT
[#10]
Harder for fat chicks to get in.
Link Posted: 4/26/2015 10:50:21 AM EDT
[#11]
Because I want to

Link Posted: 4/26/2015 10:50:38 AM EDT
[#12]
So I can boldly go where no man has gone before.  
Link Posted: 4/26/2015 10:51:14 AM EDT
[#13]
because 'merica

Link Posted: 4/26/2015 10:52:27 AM EDT
[#14]
Taller tires is the only reason
Link Posted: 4/26/2015 10:53:34 AM EDT
[#15]
Quoted:
Because I want to

<a href="http://s1282.photobucket.com/user/pavelow164781/media/4EE7D31E-22DD-420B-A266-9AAAD26AE0EC_zpshpx0olcs.jpg.html" target="_blank">http://i1282.photobucket.com/albums/a531/pavelow164781/4EE7D31E-22DD-420B-A266-9AAAD26AE0EC_zpshpx0olcs.jpg</a>

View Quote

Tiny tires

Link Posted: 4/26/2015 10:54:08 AM EDT
[#16]
Quoted:
Because I want to

<a href="http://s1282.photobucket.com/user/pavelow164781/media/4EE7D31E-22DD-420B-A266-9AAAD26AE0EC_zpshpx0olcs.jpg.html" target="_blank">http://i1282.photobucket.com/albums/a531/pavelow164781/4EE7D31E-22DD-420B-A266-9AAAD26AE0EC_zpshpx0olcs.jpg</a>

View Quote

Did spend all the money on the lift and couldn't get new tires?  

Is that a King Ranch?    I think that thread involved you?  If not, disregard.  
Link Posted: 4/26/2015 10:55:13 AM EDT
[#17]
I think it has to do with a lack of manhood in the pants.
Link Posted: 4/26/2015 10:56:05 AM EDT
[#18]
Because their owners have tiny dicks and money.
Link Posted: 4/26/2015 10:56:10 AM EDT
[#19]
Quoted:

Yes, I get this.

But why do they need more ground clearance in a F350 or Ram 2500?  I have NEVER seen a farmer drive a lifted truck, so I imagine they can get by just fine in a stock height truck with good tires in fields and such.

I guess I just think trying to wheel trails or a rock garden in a full size truck would be a little dumb.  Too heavy/wide/long to be effective?
View Quote View All Quotes
View All Quotes
Quoted:
Quoted:

Yes, I get this.

You're getting hung up on need. You don't need an AR. A bolt action .22 will work just fine, but no, you want to be all tactical and shit. The AR can do things your .22 bolt action can't. A lifted truck with big ass mud tires can do things a regular truck with street tires can't. But need really doesn't factor into any of it for the average person.

Accept it.

Link Posted: 4/26/2015 10:56:50 AM EDT
[#20]
all lifted trucks ive seen have been driven by shorty mcbro
Link Posted: 4/26/2015 10:57:35 AM EDT
[#21]
Quoted:
Because gun owners have tiny dicks and money.
View Quote

FIFY

Link Posted: 4/26/2015 10:57:45 AM EDT
[#22]

Quoted:

View All Quotes
Quoted:

Quoted:

Because I want to

The way it's sitting makes it look small.  Not the stock tires.  It was.  Theft recovery truck so the KR seats were stolen.

Link Posted: 4/26/2015 10:58:43 AM EDT
[#23]
Quoted:

You're getting hung up on need. You don't need an AR. A bolt action .22 will work just fine, but no, you want to be all tactical and shit. The AR can do things your .22 bolt action can't. A lifted truck with big ass mud tires can do things a regular truck with street tires can't. But need really doesn't factor into any of it for the average person.

Accept it.

View All Quotes
Quoted:
Quoted:
Quoted:

Yes, I get this.

Accept it.

This.
Link Posted: 4/26/2015 10:58:54 AM EDT
[#24]
IMO, any lift over 4" ON A PICKUP is a poor choice. And body lifts are not acceptable.
Link Posted: 4/26/2015 10:59:18 AM EDT
[#25]
I have a 3.5 inch lift on a 2000 f150, kept me from getting stuck in snow this year because my body and everything but the rear axle had that extra clearance. As long as you don't have a brodozer lift it does not make getting stuff in/out of the bed of the truck significantly harder. It also keeps fat chicks out of my truck
Link Posted: 4/26/2015 10:59:41 AM EDT
[#26]
Because I spent a lot of money on my Monster wrap. It must be seen by all.
Link Posted: 4/26/2015 10:59:53 AM EDT
[#27]
You've never spent ANY time off road have you.

Larger tires = more ground clearance at the expense of screwed up gear ratios (and jacked up center of gravity) unless changed.

ETA that unless you have a dedicated need to screw with factory stuff.....don't.
Link Posted: 4/26/2015 11:00:02 AM EDT
[#28]
Wheeling a fullsize bronco is fun as hell.

Link Posted: 4/26/2015 11:00:14 AM EDT
[#29]
Quoted:

Yes, I get this.

View All Quotes
Quoted:
Quoted:

Yes, I get this.

Why are you so concerned about what other men do with their trucks? Did your woman leave you in a Bro-truck?
Link Posted: 4/26/2015 11:00:42 AM EDT
[#30]
Quoted:

Accept it.

View All Quotes
Quoted:
Quoted:
Quoted:

Yes, I get this.

Accept it.

That is what I am asking.  What can a lifted F350 with mud tires do that a stock height F350 with mud tires or a f150 with mud tires cannot?
Link Posted: 4/26/2015 11:00:51 AM EDT
[#31]
Quoted:
Because if you work hard and earn money then you should have the things in life that you want.
View Quote

This, 1000 times over. Stop worrying about everyone else and live your life
Link Posted: 4/26/2015 11:01:13 AM EDT
[#32]
Well first of all, if you aren't trying to navigate a trail, size doesn't matter to much. The extra weight doesn't make as big a difference either, it doesn't help but it's not like you're just going to instantly sink because of it. Why lift a jeep? If you aren't rock crawling or doing some serious mudding or stream crossing what's the point of lifting it any higher than is needed for the axle articulation with larger tires? You could have a valid point with it being more difficult to retrieve things out of the bed, but even an 8" lift doesn't make the bed to tall to work with, getting in can be cumbersome if you are short or not in the best physical condition.

On the other hand, what exactly is supposed to be the point of lifting a pickup (ranger or crew cab dually) higher than is needed for the axles to articulate with larger tires? What exactly are you climbing over that you need to sit up that tall, but it also wouldn't be a hinderance with the threat of rolling over?

P.S. I don't think bro trucks (however silly) are nearly as common as GD would make it seem with all the bitching.

Eta: why does it matter what the stamping on your lower looks like? Or what color you ar is? What about stock? There aren't very many big advantages to the new expensive tactical stock compared to a cheaper magpul. It looks cool and in the back of your head you've thought of a scenario where it could help so you bought it. No, lifting a crew cab dually by 20" doesn't make a lot of sense, but it doesn't have to.
Link Posted: 4/26/2015 11:02:09 AM EDT
[#33]
Quoted:
IMO, any lift over 4" ON A PICKUP is a poor choice. And body lifts are not acceptable.
View Quote

1" body lifts are though, at least on Jeeps so you can tuck that transfer case etc.
I hate 3" body lifts on trucks though. Looks awful.
Link Posted: 4/26/2015 11:02:22 AM EDT
[#34]
Because some people like big trucks and make good money
Link Posted: 4/26/2015 11:02:52 AM EDT
[#35]

Quoted:
Yes, I get this.

View All Quotes
Quoted:

Quoted:

Yes, I get this.

The lift and larger tires also changes the approach and departure angles considerably, which helps immensely when wheeling in any kind of hilly terrain.

Full size trucks are not the best for trail riding, but they can be made better.

Link Posted: 4/26/2015 11:03:45 AM EDT
[#36]
Quoted:

Yes, I get this.

View All Quotes
Quoted:
Quoted:

Yes, I get this.

I do here. Trying to pull a trailer out in a pasture of soupy black-land without having some tires with some serious bite is going to make for a long day.

Link Posted: 4/26/2015 11:03:46 AM EDT
[#37]
Quoted:

View All Quotes
Quoted:
Quoted:

This.

Link Posted: 4/26/2015 11:04:32 AM EDT
[#38]
Purse swinging at its best.    Keep it coming boys.  
Link Posted: 4/26/2015 11:05:07 AM EDT
[#39]
To make more room for a bigger set of truck nutz.

Link Posted: 4/26/2015 11:05:47 AM EDT
[#40]

Quoted:

View Quote
The same thing libs say about your guns.

Link Posted: 4/26/2015 11:05:58 AM EDT
[#41]
Stock 1/2 T and most 3/4 T trucks would benefit from a MILD lift (4, no more than 6 inches) unless you'd like your bumpers dragging on every single ravine or wash crossings.  That is if you are going to take them off road.  The biggest benefit to a lift if to accommodate larger tires.  Stock trucks come with a lowered front end to improve fuel economy and most are now indistinguishable from the two wheel drive models because of that.  This of course excludes vehicle designed for off road performance from the factory floor like the Raptor.
I've driven tons of different off road trucks as a BP Agent over the years.  Most in stock form.  Eventually we try to wrangle the largest off road tires, or do a mild lift (our 90's Broncos had a 3" lift with only 31" BFG tires).  Those trucks that weren't lifted didn't do well off road.  Ford Expedition was the worse because of no ground clearance and inability for larger tires.  Many 3/4 T are sufficiently lifted in stock configuration.  But these were daily off road beaters.
But if you are referring to the 10" lifted mall cruisers with 43" Super Swamper tires that never see dirt, yeah they are about as retarded as all lowered vehicles. But, free country an all.  To each their own.

Link Posted: 4/26/2015 11:06:31 AM EDT
[#42]
Quoted:
View Quote

So you've checked this out for yourself? I don't drive a lifted truck but don't feel the need to discuss other mens dick size and truck choices.

Link Posted: 4/26/2015 11:09:09 AM EDT
[#43]
Quoted:

That is what I am asking.  What can a lifted F350 with mud tires do that a stock height F350 with mud tires or a f150 with mud tires cannot?
View All Quotes
Quoted:
Quoted:
Quoted:
Quoted:

Yes, I get this.

Accept it.

Not get stuck, that's what it can do. Trucks sink in mud. When they sink, things start dragging (bumper, axles, suspension components, frames, etc). When you start dragging those things in mud your tires become ineffective.

I'd take a lifted truck with all terrains through mud or on a trail any day over a non lifted truck with the best mud tires in the market.

It's funny you even worry about it though, because I bet a much larger percentage of the population understand the need or desire of lifted trucks more than the need or desire of sporting rifles aka "assault rifles"

Link Posted: 4/26/2015 11:11:50 AM EDT
[#45]
You should come down here  There are more bro dozers than you could ever imagine.  

Gulf coast, btw.
Link Posted: 4/26/2015 11:11:58 AM EDT
[#46]
I don't go offroad. To me big trucks, especially duallies, look best lowered with minimal ground clearance.

A truck looking as if it was ready for Bonneville looks pretty damned awesome.
Link Posted: 4/26/2015 11:12:05 AM EDT
[#47]
This thread is going as expected.

Once again, I do not care if other people do it, it's their money and truck.

I was simply asking what the positives for doing it are, besides the looks, as my OP stated.  

Link Posted: 4/26/2015 11:12:37 AM EDT
[#48]
Quoted:

View All Quotes
Quoted:
Quoted:
Quoted:
Quoted:

Yes, I get this.

Accept it.

The lifted truck can climb and descend steeper grades without scraping a bumper, can also accommodate larger tires, or get in deeper mud without bogging down (although it would have to be some deep mud). If you are worried about the extra weight and sinking more, lift it higher and get larger tires.
Link Posted: 4/26/2015 11:13:54 AM EDT
[#49]
Link Posted: 4/26/2015 11:14:00 AM EDT
[#50]
Quoted:
This thread is going as expected.

Once again, I do not care if other people do it, it's their money and truck.

I was simply asking what the positives for doing it are, besides the looks, as my OP stated.  

View Quote

And people have told you what those advantages are. Are you not satisfied?

Arrow Left Previous Page
Page / 5
Close Join Our Mail List to Stay Up To Date! Win a FREE Membership!

Sign up for the ARFCOM weekly newsletter and be entered to win a free ARFCOM membership. One new winner* is announced every week!

You will receive an email every Friday morning featuring the latest chatter from the hottest topics, breaking news surrounding legislation, as well as exclusive deals only available to ARFCOM email subscribers.

By signing up you agree to our User Agreement. *Must have a registered ARFCOM account to win.
Top Top