Are you sure you wish to do this?

Confirm Cancel
BCM
User Panel

Site Notices
Arrow Left Previous Page
Page / 6
Posted: 4/20/2015 1:25:04 PM EDT
Sitting here shooting the bull with a buddy.
He mad.
He recently recieved a letter of commendation for 14 YEARS of perfect attendance.
Exemplory employee. Great asset to the company. Blah blah blah.

Of course a few weeks later he gets a severe case of the flu and missed 10 days.
He gets called to the front office.
Ass chewing and letter of reprimand for being an unacceptable employee.
He holds up his hand, makes the hold on a sec sign, leaves, goes to his office, returns with the letter of commendation.
Shows it to them.

Now management is even more pissed off at him.

Link Posted: 4/20/2015 1:26:29 PM EDT
[#1]
Link Posted: 4/20/2015 1:29:54 PM EDT
[#2]
It only takes one aw shit to cancel all your atta-boys!
Link Posted: 4/20/2015 1:30:25 PM EDT
[#3]
What have you done for me lately?
Link Posted: 4/20/2015 1:31:28 PM EDT
[#4]
I've rarely seen management even remotely concerned with the happiness of workers. . .
Link Posted: 4/20/2015 1:37:19 PM EDT
[#5]
Discussion ForumsJump to Quoted PostQuote History
Quoted:
I've rarely seen management even remotely concerned with the happiness of workers. . .
View Quote

This! Dont confuse happiness with productivity. Management wonder why workers arent PRODUCTIVE. They could give a damn about morale
Link Posted: 4/20/2015 1:39:52 PM EDT
[#6]
Quoted:
He mad.
He recently recieved a letter of commendation for 14 YEARS of perfect attendance.

Of course a few weeks later he gets a severe case of the flu and missed 10 days.
He holds up his hand, makes the hold on a sec sign, leaves, goes to his office, returns with the letter of commendation.
Shows it to them.

View Quote

If they fire him for that I'd wager he has an excellent case against that company.

My favorite is when you get a letter and an award for being an excellent employee and exemplary for the past decade.  And no raises for the past 5 years.
Link Posted: 4/20/2015 1:40:26 PM EDT
[#7]

Quoted:

View Quote
Ours is, right before the annual survey. They tell you how they want you to answer the questions on the 'anonymous survey,' and that if you answer differently, you'll be having a chat with your manager.

Link Posted: 4/20/2015 1:40:57 PM EDT
[#8]
Quoted:
At my old university, I got a nice letter from the Dean, "recognizing" me for all the good things I had done.

My name was spelled incorrectly.  
View Quote

Haha I love when that happens. Every time the Army promoted me I got the promotion letter with my name spelled wrong. Same with awards. Evidently spelling "Theodore" is too difficult for the most advanced warfighting organization in the world. The worst one was an ARCOM addressed to "Thodeeore"
Link Posted: 4/20/2015 1:41:14 PM EDT
[#9]

Quoted:

View Quote

And in the irony of life is that usually you have an epic "aw shit" right after an "atta-boy"!
Link Posted: 4/20/2015 1:42:02 PM EDT
[#10]
Quoted:
At my old university, I got a nice letter from the Dean, "recognizing" me for all the good things I had done.

View Quote

How does someone misspell DK-Prof'?
Link Posted: 4/20/2015 1:45:17 PM EDT
[#11]
"Worked with a guy on the RR for 32 years, the poor SOB dropped dead during a meal break. Two days later you would never know he worked there, his locker was empty, his coffee cup was gone, and I doubt you could find his employee number in the payroll computer if you looked." father of lostnswv.

Link Posted: 4/20/2015 1:47:36 PM EDT
[#12]
Quoted:

If they fire him for that I'd wager he has an excellent case against that company.

My favorite is when you get a letter and an award for being an excellent employee and exemplary for the past decade.  And no raises for the past 5 years.
View Quote View All Quotes
View All Quotes
Quoted:
Quoted:
He mad.

Shows it to them.

Letters are cheaper than raises.
Link Posted: 4/20/2015 1:48:00 PM EDT
[#13]
Quoted:

View Quote

Yeah you try spelling your name?

Link Posted: 4/20/2015 1:52:50 PM EDT
[#14]
My name has been on our deployment roster 2 times in the last 12 years, yet I've deployed 9 times. Next person on the list complains his taco hurts and they call Mike! Hey, can you get ready in 20 days, so and so had medical condition (yep, taco issue!) I've gone as little as 3 months home to avgerage of 7. Got medals and commendations coming out my a$$ (I'm a DOD civilian, can't wear the damn things, and they cost $40 dollars each!?) and PCS'd to Germany. I've been a BLST Chief, LSE Commander, but I'm told I'm not qualified to do it home station!? I've been home 24 months this time, due to injury last trip.

Sorry, you got me ranting....I apologize, forgot my place.
Link Posted: 4/20/2015 1:55:10 PM EDT
[#15]

THIS.

THIS by the metric shit ton.

And the guy who said "What have you done for me lately?"

Quoted:
View Quote

Link Posted: 4/20/2015 1:56:41 PM EDT
[#16]
Quoted:

View All Quotes
Quoted:
Quoted:

Isn't he dutch? I'm pretty sure they use metric letters.
Link Posted: 4/20/2015 1:57:33 PM EDT
[#17]
We have a saying around here, 'the beatings will continue until moral improves.'
Link Posted: 4/20/2015 1:58:22 PM EDT
[#18]
Its not the one incident.  Its the trend!
Link Posted: 4/20/2015 1:59:25 PM EDT
[#19]
The job market still really isn't all that great. Most employers have some attitude that they are doing people a big favor by hiring and employing. Which of course has repercussions - employees with poor attitudes. Vicious cycle, someone has to make the first move to break it yet no one will as there is nothing in it for them.
Link Posted: 4/20/2015 2:03:26 PM EDT
[#20]
I had a GF who was getting in hot water about missing work among other issues. She comes in to work one day and they gave her a promotion and a raise. Go figure.
Link Posted: 4/20/2015 2:05:23 PM EDT
[#21]

Quoted:
View All Quotes
Quoted:

Quoted:

NL-Prof? Maybe DK-Postdoc?
Link Posted: 4/20/2015 2:10:01 PM EDT
[#22]
After 18 years of great performance evaluations, I got dinged for being late with a report. I had to remind them that was during the time period I was on sick leave for a hospital stay and surgery. I refused to sign the eval with that comment in it. They removed it. They also never forgot that I questioned them.
Link Posted: 4/20/2015 2:10:02 PM EDT
[#23]
Quoted:
View Quote

It can, though not always.  The short memory capacity of management usually is the issue there.  Good employees can be hard to find, making allowances for 'shit happens' events in life is, at times, a good idea.
Link Posted: 4/20/2015 2:12:31 PM EDT
[#24]
I like the induvidual that spends more time trying to get out of work then actually doing his work.... then when they fucks up ,everyone is blamed for it. Comes in late,leaves early, calls in sick quite often, sits around watching wroldstarhiphop & youtube vids all day. Works on personal endeviours... Never goes to training, or does CBT's or can even remeber passwords for various sign ons to different computers.... And when the train jumps the track, it's never their fault.... always someone elses.

Motherfucker been here 20 years and is teflon as fuck.

It's like going to school with ESE/title I fuckers.... only thing they look forward too is lunch and recess.

In the mean time..... their expectation of you is to do your and his work and make sure he doesn't fuck up when he does work.
Link Posted: 4/20/2015 2:16:05 PM EDT
[#25]
Quoted:

View All Quotes
Quoted:
Quoted:
He mad.

Shows it to them.

oh yeah employee of the month and multiple glowing reviews, rated me a .3% raise, got fired 6 months later for not showing up and not doing anything when I did.

i was amazed it took them that long i guess the supervisors didn't give any fucks either.
Link Posted: 4/20/2015 2:25:44 PM EDT
[#26]
Link Posted: 4/20/2015 2:26:33 PM EDT
[#27]
I was working a job where 100% of the job can be done completely remotely, from anywhere in the world with an internet connection, at any time of day or night.  Immediate supervisor was cool with people working remotely.  Hell, all our applications were web-based to a server a few states away, so even in the office we were still "working remotely".

Upper management refuses to let people work from home because they "don't trust" that they are working, and they have a masturbatory fantasy of everyone working in a "team environment" in the office…meaning in dull, gray, mostly quiet cubicles.  So now instead of some employees getting some overtime from home (easily verifiable that they are actually working based on how the systems were set up) and going the extra mile when we have a backlog of work, that all stops.  Upper management wonders why production is slowing down.   Good going fostering high morale, dickheads.  "Oh you don't trust us to work remotely?  Guess we'll stop putting in extra hours from home to clear out the backlog."

HR complained that our office was pretty flexible with when employees could come and go (apparently other company offices weren't, and I guess that isn't fair).  It made for a nice environment where people were treated as adults and if you wanted to go to the gym for 2 hours in the middle of the day you could, as long as your work got done.  So that ended, making people pretty upset since it had been like that for years and suddenly the had to re-arrange their life schedules to keep HR happy.

Oh and there's a dress code requirement (meaning khakis/button-up/nice shoes as a minimum) even though this office is completely internal to the company and doesn't see outside clients.  Everyone here literally comes in, stares at their computers all day, and goes home.  But there's "casual Fridays" where we were allowed to wear jeans and a golf shirt.  If it's ok on Friday, why isn't it ok every other day?

The complete absurdity of that situation is off the scale.  "This job can be done 100% from anywhere at any time, so let's make people dress up and come into the office and sit in cubes, and take away their flexible schedules just to keep up appearances.  Why are they unhappy?!?!"
Link Posted: 4/20/2015 2:28:39 PM EDT
[#28]
Good on your buddy
Link Posted: 4/20/2015 2:51:21 PM EDT
[#29]

Quoted:
View All Quotes
Quoted:

Quoted:

I don't think I want to know!

Link Posted: 4/20/2015 2:51:24 PM EDT
[#30]
You sometimes really must marvel at the institutional retardation that inflicts some places.  What mercurial mix of ignorance and arrogance makes you think the policy you just instituted was a good idea?

Our current compensation plan is a hand-written invitation for the older, more productive members of the organization to GTFO.
The really strange part is that there are competing organizations in the area that are more than willing to snap them up.
There is one place up the road that has made a recruiting model out of sniping our senior people.
The administrators here just can't understand why they're bleeding good employees.
Once I'm old and productive, my ass will be up the road with everyone else.
Link Posted: 4/20/2015 2:55:41 PM EDT
[#31]
And management wonders why most of their workers do just enough to get them through the day and don't give half a shit about how the company is actually doing.

Company tanks, employees move on to new company that doesn't give a shit about them.

*shrug*

Every job in .civ land is a fucking paycheck.  If you think that you're important and won't be cut by the whim of someone above you, you're living in a dream world.
Link Posted: 4/20/2015 3:37:37 PM EDT
[#32]
Quoted:

View All Quotes
Quoted:
Quoted:

Probably had "goose" somewhere in the middle

Link Posted: 4/20/2015 3:45:34 PM EDT
[#33]
Quoted:
View Quote

This.

The King and the Serfs.
Link Posted: 4/20/2015 4:00:20 PM EDT
[#34]
We're not happy till you're not happy,
Link Posted: 4/20/2015 4:08:25 PM EDT
[#35]
Yep, had that one before. I was honest in my 1st assessment. We than had another meeting because we evidently "didn't understand the questions" and were required to redo our 'anonymous" surveys while in the meeting.
That time i told them what I thought rather than the truth.

That was the last time we were ever asked to take those surveys. A informal poll of the rest of the IT department revealed we all did the same thing. The 1st ones were bad...honest but bad, the "replacements" were just fucking brutal
Link Posted: 4/20/2015 4:09:09 PM EDT
[#36]
I got a performance based raise and a write up 24 hours apart.
Link Posted: 4/20/2015 4:16:00 PM EDT
[#37]

Quoted:

I was working a job where 100% of the job can be done completely remotely, from anywhere in the world with an internet connection, at any time of day or night.  Immediate supervisor was cool with people working remotely.  Hell, all our applications were web-based to a server a few states away, so even in the office we were still "working remotely".

Upper management refuses to let people work from home because they "don't trust" that they are working, and they have a masturbatory fantasy of everyone working in a "team environment" in the office…meaning in dull, gray, mostly quiet cubicles.  So now instead of some employees getting some overtime from home (easily verifiable that they are actually working based on how the systems were set up) and going the extra mile when we have a backlog of work, that all stops.  Upper management wonders why production is slowing down.   Good going fostering high morale, dickheads.  "Oh you don't trust us to work remotely?  Guess we'll stop putting in extra hours from home to clear out the backlog."

HR complained that our office was pretty flexible with when employees could come and go (apparently other company offices weren't, and I guess that isn't fair).  It made for a nice environment where people were treated as adults and if you wanted to go to the gym for 2 hours in the middle of the day you could, as long as your work got done.  So that ended, making people pretty upset since it had been like that for years and suddenly the had to re-arrange their life schedules to keep HR happy.

Oh and there's a dress code requirement (meaning khakis/button-up/nice shoes as a minimum) even though this office is completely internal to the company and doesn't see outside clients.  Everyone here literally comes in, stares at their computers all day, and goes home.  But there's "casual Fridays" where we were allowed to wear jeans and a golf shirt.  If it's ok on Friday, why isn't it ok every other day?

The complete absurdity of that situation is off the scale.  "This job can be done 100% from anywhere at any time, so let's make people dress up and come into the office and sit in cubes, and take away their flexible schedules just to keep up appearances.  Why are they unhappy?!?!"
View Quote
Ditto on the work remotely. Everything I do is done over phone or computer.

Oh, and my team was going to go to 10/80 schedule but my boss felt 1 co-worker couldn't manage his time effectively so no one gets to. . .
Link Posted: 4/20/2015 4:23:02 PM EDT
[#38]
Quoted:
View Quote

I got that one beat.
I got a performance based raise and a write in the same meeting.
Link Posted: 4/20/2015 4:23:16 PM EDT
[#39]
Link Posted: 4/20/2015 4:41:43 PM EDT
[#40]
Quoted:

View Quote

A couple years ago my National Guard unit got put on State Active Duty for storm relief. After a couple days all units were deactivated except for my detail distributing ice and water to a region that had been without power in sweltering conditions for several days. We stayed on an additional 3 days.

It was quite the PR opportunity, with a lowly 11B E-5 being in charge of the only storm relief assignment in the state. The State TAG (Major General) and State CSM made an obligatory appearance with the Battalion Commander and CSM, all recorded by the State PAO and several local news stations. My CO and PL alternatively called every hour or so asking if I needed their assistance once the press picked it up. Nope sirs, we got this.

I was grandly presented with a hand-written letter of gratitude from the Governor during annual training.....with my name misspelled. Not just my last name. My first name as well. And the governor got my rank wrong. For a second I though I was meritoriously promoted to SSG. Nope, just an oversight. So, if any of you know SSG Mark Spengler, I have his commendation letter.

Jokes on them. The community treated us to amazing steak dinners every night and I treated my guys and copious amount of alcohol at the end of each duty day. We had a blast!
Link Posted: 4/20/2015 4:44:00 PM EDT
[#41]
Link Posted: 4/20/2015 4:54:48 PM EDT
[#42]
Link Posted: 4/20/2015 4:59:39 PM EDT
[#43]
Quoted:
View Quote

Same here. And after 14 years, "We no longer need you"
Link Posted: 4/20/2015 5:04:22 PM EDT
[#44]
Quoted:

View Quote

Our Keyboards don't have all the Bork Bork options.
Link Posted: 4/20/2015 5:06:13 PM EDT
[#45]
We had a co-worker die in the weight room ( "wellness center") of a massive cerebral hemorrhage , died in the arms of his best friend.

The first concern of one of our middle managers was clocking him out immediately.

Same manager tried to give a guy a discipline day off on the day he retired, for being late.

Another guy had heat stroke, passed out, and had to be transported to the  hospital by ambulance.........yup, they clocked him out as soon as they loaded him up.

And they wonder why we will not eat lunch with them.

Link Posted: 4/20/2015 5:16:42 PM EDT
[#46]
You are a valued employee hk2793.............
Link Posted: 4/20/2015 5:19:02 PM EDT
[#47]
Quoted:

This! Dont confuse happiness with productivity. Management wonder why workers arent PRODUCTIVE. They could give a damn about morale
View All Quotes
Quoted:
Quoted:

It's when they can't correlate their policies/decisions effect on morale to productivity........
Link Posted: 4/20/2015 5:20:11 PM EDT
[#48]
oh you are offering me a lateral change to another position in the same band at the same wage?

gee, i am so excited to work on my passion

Link Posted: 4/20/2015 5:22:00 PM EDT
[#49]
is it Bjork without the ..
Link Posted: 4/20/2015 5:23:41 PM EDT
[#50]
Quoted:
View Quote

Me and my two partners got a commendation for a good arrest we made. The department gave it to us just shy of 5 years after the arrest. The kicker is we had to put ourselves in for the commendation.
Arrow Left Previous Page
Page / 6
Close Join Our Mail List to Stay Up To Date! Win a FREE Membership!

Sign up for the ARFCOM weekly newsletter and be entered to win a free ARFCOM membership. One new winner* is announced every week!

You will receive an email every Friday morning featuring the latest chatter from the hottest topics, breaking news surrounding legislation, as well as exclusive deals only available to ARFCOM email subscribers.

By signing up you agree to our User Agreement. *Must have a registered ARFCOM account to win.
Top Top