Close

Confirm Action

Are you sure you wish to do this?

Confirm Cancel
BCM
User Panel

Site Notices
Posted: 4/18/2015 8:40:43 PM EDT
Just picked up a Samsung Galaxy S5 and need a protective case. I don't like wearing my phone on my belt, so I normally just toss it in my pocket. I don't want a case that is too hefty/blocky, but at the same time want something that offers good protection. I had a basic Otterbox on my S3, and felt it was borderline for size. Recommendations?

Thanks!
Link Posted: 4/18/2015 8:41:50 PM EDT
[#1]
Ballistic . I have one and it has been solid . I am not in love with the screen protector but the case has saved my phone
Link Posted: 4/18/2015 8:43:21 PM EDT
[#2]
I'm using a rubbery kind of cover made by Diztronic on my OnePlus. It wasn't expensive, and actually reduces friction going into my pocket since the back cover of my phone is this kinda "sandstone" finish. It has a raised edge around the screen so you can lay it screen-down on a flat surface without actually having the glass touch the surface. I like it.
Link Posted: 4/18/2015 8:44:10 PM EDT
[#3]
UAG (urban armor gear) ive had them on my s4 and note 4 and theyve never done me wrong. Add in a tempered glass screen protector
Link Posted: 4/18/2015 8:47:49 PM EDT
[#4]
Lifeproof.  They're owned by Otterbox now, so they have the same basically bend-over-backwards customer service behind them and the case is very thin---much thinner than the Otterbox Defender I used to have on the phone.  I highly recommend it.
Link Posted: 4/18/2015 8:51:13 PM EDT
[#5]
Seidio.  Thinner than most, and will slide in pocket not stick like the more rubbery ones.  They don't have a screen protector built in, but I prefer that because I have the Zagg tempered glass on it.
Link Posted: 4/18/2015 8:58:33 PM EDT
[#6]
You didn't get the s5 active? My bil is about to die for one of those now, he's been on iOS for the past 5-6 years (dumb phone before that) and got a new 5 a year or so back he killed the first week he had it (got caught in a rainstorm with it in a defender case in his pocket) and has been using a Craigslist 4 since then.  

As an aside I may be posting a slightly used s5 active on the EE in the next few months, as hes not techy at all and doesn't deal well with change, I'll give him 2 weeks before he's stuck it in a drawer and using his 4 again. Lol
Link Posted: 4/18/2015 9:00:46 PM EDT
[#7]
Otterbox commuter
Link Posted: 4/18/2015 9:01:06 PM EDT
[#8]
Magpul makes a case fir the S5
Link Posted: 4/18/2015 9:01:37 PM EDT
[#9]
You want a life proof case.
Link Posted: 4/18/2015 9:01:47 PM EDT
[#10]
I really like the magpul case i have on mine. Looks cool, and a nice tough plastic/rubber that lint won't stick to
Link Posted: 4/18/2015 10:04:04 PM EDT
[#11]

Discussion ForumsJump to Quoted PostQuote History
Quoted:

You didn't get the s5 active? My bil is about to die for one of those now, he's been on iOS for the past 5-6 years (dumb phone before that) and got a new 5 a year or so back he killed the first week he had it (got caught in a rainstorm with it in a defender case in his pocket) and has been using a Craigslist 4 since then.  

As an aside I may be posting a slightly used s5 active on the EE in the next few months, as hes not techy at all and doesn't deal well with change, I'll give him 2 weeks before he's stuck it in a drawer and using his 4 again. Lol
View Quote
S5 Active? No idea what that is. I just picked up a regular S5 from Costco for $30.

Link Posted: 4/18/2015 10:12:04 PM EDT
[#12]

Quoted:

You want a life proof case.
View Quote
Very nice, but a wee bit more than i wanted to spend.

Link Posted: 4/18/2015 10:13:58 PM EDT
[#13]

Quoted:

Seidio.  Thinner than most, and will slide in pocket not stick like the more rubbery ones.  They don't have a screen protector built in, but I prefer that because I have the Zagg tempered glass on it.
View Quote
I bought a Invisible Tech Armor tempered glass cover at Costco, so I don't need one included with a case.

Link Posted: 4/18/2015 10:14:57 PM EDT
[#14]
I have a Magpul for my Galaxy, and love it.
Link Posted: 4/18/2015 10:17:43 PM EDT
[#15]
Quoted:
UAG (urban armor gear) ive had them on my s4 and note 4 and theyve never done me wrong. Add in a tempered glass screen protector
View Quote

Dittos...............

Edited to add linky:

http://www.shopandroid.com/urban-armor-gear-composite-hybrid-case/4A225A17480.htm

Link Posted: 4/18/2015 10:18:47 PM EDT
[#16]
I have a PAI. The case is made from a machined billet of aluminum. Rugged as hell, fits in my pocket, guaranteed for life, andt it is made in the USA .
Link Posted: 4/18/2015 10:23:53 PM EDT
[#18]
Ive been using a ottehbox, love it little bulky but love it.
just researched lifeproof, and while it is a little smaller just going on their site, MANY reviews say how the charger port door breaks, and sound is muffled. I dont have any of these problems with the otterbox.
BTW if you want a lifeproof, you can get brand new on ebay, or an otterbox for $30.. Fuck that $60-$70 bullshit......
Link Posted: 4/18/2015 10:51:51 PM EDT
[#19]
Otterbox Preserver..../thread
Link Posted: 4/18/2015 10:55:23 PM EDT
[#20]
Ballistic
Link Posted: 4/18/2015 10:59:40 PM EDT
[#21]
This is correct!

Quoted:
Otterbox Preserver..../thread
View Quote

Link Posted: 4/18/2015 11:05:01 PM EDT
[#22]
Spigen.  Thin light case, perfect for pocket carry, and I drop my phone with alarming frequency.  Don't have to worry with this one.  The rubber inner liner sticks up just enough around the screen to completely protect it, so no aggravating film screen cover is required.

http://www.spigen.com/brands/samsung/galaxy/galaxy-s5.html
Link Posted: 4/18/2015 11:18:52 PM EDT
[#23]
Spigen Tough Armor on mine. $20 or so on Amazon.
Link Posted: 4/18/2015 11:29:03 PM EDT
[#24]
I use Impact Gel Xtreme Armour, from Walmart $26.
So far it has been working great - but then I have never dropped any of my cell phones so I can't speak from experience....

Link Posted: 4/18/2015 11:30:28 PM EDT
[#25]
UAG
Link Posted: 4/18/2015 11:30:42 PM EDT
[#26]
Link Posted: 4/18/2015 11:30:54 PM EDT
[#27]
Link Posted: 4/18/2015 11:31:36 PM EDT
[#28]

Quoted:

Spigen Tough Armor on mine. $20 or so on Amazon.
View Quote
Decided on this one! Lots of great cases out there these days for smart phones, which is nice. Had narrowed it down to the Magpul, Spigen, and UAG but opted to try the Spigen since it was slim and had almost 5k reviews on Amazon, the vast majority very positive. I never used a case on my S3 and two weeks before my contract was up for renewal and I was going to get the S5 I dropped my phone. It landed perfectly flat (screen side down) on my concrete basement floor and shattered the screen (like a spiderweb crack). Needless to say, I will be using a case for my S5.

Close Join Our Mail List to Stay Up To Date! Win a FREE Membership!

Sign up for the ARFCOM weekly newsletter and be entered to win a free ARFCOM membership. One new winner* is announced every week!

You will receive an email every Friday morning featuring the latest chatter from the hottest topics, breaking news surrounding legislation, as well as exclusive deals only available to ARFCOM email subscribers.

By signing up you agree to our User Agreement. *Must have a registered ARFCOM account to win.
Top Top