Arrow Left Previous Page
Page / 9
Posted: 4/1/2015 10:20:13 PM EDT

Assuming the car behind her was a police officer, Good said she slowed
her vehicle, put on her emergency flashers, waved her arm out the window
to acknowledge the pursing car and continued for less than a mile where
she pulled over into the lighted parking lot at the Kohl's department
store in Portage.

After Good refused to listen to how her actions put her and others in danger, Marshall said he arrested her.

Link Posted: 4/1/2015 10:25:02 PM EDT
[#1]
I smell a lawsuit
Link Posted: 4/1/2015 10:27:37 PM EDT
[#2]
In.
Link Posted: 4/1/2015 10:28:25 PM EDT
[#3]
Is her right to safety trumped by societies requirement to enforce it's laws?
Link Posted: 4/1/2015 10:29:22 PM EDT
[#4]
She did the correct thing for her safety.  Good on her.

Cop was a dick.
Link Posted: 4/1/2015 10:29:40 PM EDT
[#5]
Yep
Link Posted: 4/1/2015 10:30:08 PM EDT
[#6]
what a dick cop.
Link Posted: 4/1/2015 10:30:53 PM EDT
[#7]
Silly citizen. Only one party in a traffic stop can get away with doing anything in the name of personal safety, and it ain't you.
Link Posted: 4/1/2015 10:31:11 PM EDT
[#8]

Discussion ForumsJump to Quoted PostQuote History
Quoted:

View Quote

I hope that's sarcasm. I'm betting it is.
Link Posted: 4/1/2015 10:34:15 PM EDT
[#9]
He should have pepper sprayed that disobedient serf.
Link Posted: 4/1/2015 10:34:23 PM EDT
[#10]
I guess this officer is new.
Portage police issued a warning two years ago after someone using flashing red and blue lights, possibly impersonating a police officer, tried to get a woman to pull over.

Portage Police Sgt. Keith Hughes said at the time the woman used good judgment by not stopping for the man.

He recommended drivers call 911 if they question who is attempting to pull them over and if unable to reach a dispatcher, acknowledge the officer by waving at them and then drive to a well-lit public location before stopping and tell the officer about your concern.
Link Posted: 4/1/2015 10:35:22 PM EDT
[#11]
Link Posted: 4/1/2015 10:36:00 PM EDT
[#12]
No cell phone?

Frankly, I wouldnt arrest her. Just leave her with the ticket and be done with it.
Link Posted: 4/1/2015 10:36:05 PM EDT
[#13]
cop needs to relax
Link Posted: 4/1/2015 10:36:17 PM EDT
[#14]
Well my guess is they better pull out their check book and remove all that from her record before they get in front
of a judge.
Link Posted: 4/1/2015 10:36:29 PM EDT
[#15]
Quoted:
View Quote

Did she not stop?

Did she try to evade?

Did where she stopped put the cop a more risk?

Where did she prevent him from enforcing society's laws?

So, yes she has a right to safety and part 2 is irrelevant unless you need your authority respected to feel important.
Link Posted: 4/1/2015 10:36:41 PM EDT
[#16]
Quoted:
I guess this officer is new.
Portage police issued a warning two years ago after someone using flashing red and blue lights, possibly impersonating a police officer, tried to get a woman to pull over.

Portage Police Sgt. Keith Hughes said at the time the woman used good judgment by not stopping for the man.

He recommended drivers call 911 if they question who is attempting to pull them over and if unable to reach a dispatcher, acknowledge the officer by waving at them and then drive to a well-lit public location before stopping and tell the officer about your concern.
View Quote

It would be hilarious if the DA actually took this to trial and then the defense called Sgt. Hughes as an expert.
Link Posted: 4/1/2015 10:37:45 PM EDT
[#17]
Quoted:

View Quote View All Quotes
View All Quotes
Quoted:
Quoted:

No, an honest question, I am sure, too philosophical for GD, but I live in hope.

Where do we draw the line for personal safety when it goes against societies rules?  Who gets to decide in that case, the individual, or society?
Link Posted: 4/1/2015 10:37:51 PM EDT
[#18]
Quoted:

View All Quotes
Quoted:
Quoted:

I think that's how he intends it.

Less than a mile ?  Sheriffs Deputies usually aren't THAT big of pricks.  At
least around here.

Link Posted: 4/1/2015 10:38:02 PM EDT
[#19]

At least he didn't PIT her.  

Link Posted: 4/1/2015 10:38:15 PM EDT
[#20]
Link Posted: 4/1/2015 10:41:25 PM EDT
[#21]

Quoted:
No, an honest question, I am sure, too philosophical for GD, but I live in hope.

Where do we draw the line for personal safety when it goes against societies rules?  Who gets to decide in that case, the individual, or society?
View All Quotes
Quoted:

Quoted:

Quoted:

Society? I'm pretty sure society thinks she's in the right here.

What rule? She complied with his request to pull over in a safe, acknowledged and timely manner in a relatively short distance.
Link Posted: 4/1/2015 10:41:37 PM EDT
[#22]
I Have no problem with it.
Link Posted: 4/1/2015 10:42:56 PM EDT
[#23]
My memory is fuzzy but wasn't there a huge court case that makes this perfectly legal to do. Basically some guy in California, I believe, posed as a cop and pulled women over on the secluded highways and then raped/murdered em. It was quite a few women too. Can't remeber it all, haven't read the case in at least 10 years. But the decision basically said anyone can keep driving until they find a populated/safe area to pull over and verify its actually a cop.
Link Posted: 4/1/2015 10:46:25 PM EDT
[#24]
Undecided on this. Yeah society & laws  > her safety. However, you know damned good and well there are people like Zaminsky in this world.
Link Posted: 4/1/2015 10:47:11 PM EDT
[#25]
Quoted:
View Quote

The woman driving for a mile or the cop with the attitude ?

Link Posted: 4/1/2015 10:48:42 PM EDT
[#26]
I remember the last thread we had like this.

Some douche basically stated if you didn't pull over the nanosecond he cut on his lights, you deserved whatever you got.

He was the one who determined the safest place to stop, and that was wherever he initiated the encounter.

If you drove a block past that, you needed to pepper your angus.

He also stated LE never initiates a stop in a place that would be unsafe to park.

Who was that.....?
Link Posted: 4/1/2015 10:49:00 PM EDT
[#27]
Quoted:
She did the correct thing for her safety.  Good on her.

Cop was a dick.
View Quote

Concur.   I would also do it for the idiot cop's safety.  There is less chance of the idiot cop in this case being killed by another driver while doing the stop in the Kohl's parking lot.

I hope that she sues and wins big.

Link Posted: 4/1/2015 10:53:35 PM EDT
[#28]
Quoted:

View All Quotes
Quoted:
Quoted:

The way the woman described it, if true would be ok with me. I'd like to hear the Officer's side though.
Link Posted: 4/1/2015 10:53:41 PM EDT
[#29]
After Good refused to listen to how her actions put her and others in danger, Marshall said he arrested her.
View Quote

I'd like to hear how her driving in a safe manner to a lighted parking lot put her and others in more danger than stopping on an unlit county road with no shoulder.

I think she's going to get a check.
Link Posted: 4/1/2015 10:55:19 PM EDT
[#30]
I see no problem with what she did. I've been pulled over before and had the cop ask me to keep going so we could be in a parking lot away from traffic. She's going to get paid and the DA will hope this goes away quietly.
Link Posted: 4/1/2015 10:58:38 PM EDT
[#31]
Quoted:

The way the woman described it, if true would be ok with me. I'd like to hear the Officer's side though.
View All Quotes
Quoted:
Quoted:
Quoted:

Hear him out but cops have zero credibility in a case like this.   They will use their special buzzwords to justify anything they do to include shooting dogs or people.
Link Posted: 4/1/2015 10:58:59 PM EDT
[#32]
Quoted:

Some douche basically stated if you didn't pull over the nanosecond he cut on his lights, you deserved whatever you got.

He was the one who determined the safest place to stop, and that was wherever he initiated the encounter.

He also stated LE never initiates a stop in a place that would be unsafe to park.

Who was that.....?
View Quote

Depends on how far back it was  ...

It sounds like doctors308, or that other fuckstick that staff let change his handle a couple
of times because he wore the others ones out.

Link Posted: 4/1/2015 11:01:07 PM EDT
[#33]
Officer was an asshole. I've had a few police officers light me up on a freeway I always drive to the next exit and pull into a parking lot somewhere.

My safety is my responsibility.

None of the officers ever made an issue out of me not stopping immediately.
Link Posted: 4/1/2015 11:02:44 PM EDT
[#34]
A Nebraska State Trooper bitched at me for ten minutes because I drove an extra half mile to pull off on a county road because the highway we were on had no shoulders and the roads were icy. Fucking idiot.
Link Posted: 4/1/2015 11:04:53 PM EDT
[#35]
Quoted:
Isolated incident.
View Quote

Link Posted: 4/1/2015 11:06:37 PM EDT
[#36]

Quoted:

It sounds like doctors308, or that other fuckstick that staff let change his handle a couple

View All Quotes
Quoted:

Quoted:

Who was that.....?

I read it last night actually. His name was Sedona something or other.

Link Posted: 4/1/2015 11:07:16 PM EDT
[#37]
Quoted:

Hear him out but cops have zero credibility in a case like this.   They will use their special buzzwords to justify anything they do to include shooting dogs or people.
View All Quotes
Quoted:
Quoted:
Quoted:
Quoted:

Link Posted: 4/1/2015 11:07:48 PM EDT
[#38]
What she did is sop where I am from. I know from working third shift shooting the shit with the cops when they came in on break. A well lit area, and maybe people around even if it took a extra minute or so was alright with them. In the dark on a bad spot on the road is what they always hated. Newer guy new to law enforcement perhaps?
Link Posted: 4/1/2015 11:09:20 PM EDT
[#39]
Link Posted: 4/1/2015 11:09:51 PM EDT
[#40]
What she did has actually been suggested by police over the years when citizens fear they are being pulled over by a police impersonator.

They are going to have a hard time issuing advice and then arresting someone for following that advice.

She's going to be rich.
Link Posted: 4/1/2015 11:10:34 PM EDT
[#41]
I'd have done the exact same thing this woman did.

ETA: although I'd definitely call. 911.

Posted Via AR15.Com Mobile
Link Posted: 4/1/2015 11:11:46 PM EDT
[#42]
Quoted:
My memory is fuzzy but wasn't there a huge court case that makes this perfectly legal to do. Basically some guy in California, I believe, posed as a cop and pulled women over on the secluded highways and then raped/murdered em. It was quite a few women too. Can't remeber it all, haven't read the case in at least 10 years. But the decision basically said anyone can keep driving until they find a populated/safe area to pull over and verify its actually a cop.
View Quote

This piece of shit: Craig Peyer

On the night of December 27, 1986, 20-year-old Cara Knott was driving south on Interstate 15 from her boyfriend's home in Escondido to her parents' home in El Cajon, when Peyer, who was on duty in a marked CHP patrol car, directed Knott to pull off the freeway on an isolated, unfinished off-ramp. It was later discovered that Peyer had also been harassing a number of other female drivers in the same area and pulling them over on the same off-ramp and was supposedly trying to pick them up as dates. In the Knott case, it was thought that the situation escalated to physicality when Knott threatened to report Peyer for his inappropriate actions. When he grabbed her she slashed and scratched his face. Peyer then bludgeoned her with his flashlight and strangled her with a rope. He then threw her body over the edge of an abandoned bridge where she fell into the brush below.
Link Posted: 4/1/2015 11:14:53 PM EDT
[#43]
Quoted:
No cell phone?

Frankly, I wouldnt arrest her. Just leave her with the ticket and be done with it.
View Quote

This.  It sounds like he suffered from contempt of cop.  Doing that under the circumstances described in the article would not go well for someone at my agency.  Especially for felony fleeing; assuming they have misdemeanor and felony like we do in KY.  That doesn't even rise to the level of misdemeanor here.

I did find this funny though.  

"Good, who reportedly has no prior criminal record, said as a nurse, she is accustomed to following rules.  'I follow rules every day or people could get hurt," she said.'"

Except for speed limits.  Those rules don't count.
Link Posted: 4/1/2015 11:17:21 PM EDT
[#44]
Quoted:

On the night of December 27, 1986, 20-year-old Cara Knott was driving south on Interstate 15 from her boyfriend's home in Escondido to her parents' home in El Cajon, when Peyer, who was on duty in a marked CHP patrol car, directed Knott to pull off the freeway on an isolated, unfinished off-ramp. It was later discovered that Peyer had also been harassing a number of other female drivers in the same area and pulling them over on the same off-ramp and was supposedly trying to pick them up as dates. In the Knott case, it was thought that the situation escalated to physicality when Knott threatened to report Peyer for his inappropriate actions. When he grabbed her she slashed and scratched his face. Peyer then bludgeoned her with his flashlight and strangled her with a rope. He then threw her body over the edge of an abandoned bridge where she fell into the brush below.
View All Quotes
Quoted:
Quoted:

Yea that's it. I forgot that piece of shit actually was a cop. I feel bad for that poor woman.

For some reason I thought this made it all the way to the Supreme Court. Guess not.
Link Posted: 4/1/2015 11:18:41 PM EDT
[#45]
Quoted:
She's going to be rich.
View Quote

Rich? Doubt it.
Link Posted: 4/1/2015 11:19:50 PM EDT
[#46]
Quoted:

This.  It sounds like he suffered from contempt of cop.  Doing that under the circumstances described in the article would not go well for someone at my agency.  Especially for felony fleeing; assuming they have misdemeanor and felony like we do in KY.  That doesn't even rise to the level of misdemeanor here.

"Good, who reportedly has no prior criminal record, said as a nurse, she is accustomed to following rules.  'I follow rules every day or people could get hurt," she said.'"

View All Quotes
Quoted:
Quoted:
No cell phone?

Docs and nurses have heavy foots, and always an excuse to boot.
Link Posted: 4/1/2015 11:24:41 PM EDT
[#47]
I have told my wife not to pull over on a dark stretch of road as well, but to continue on to the closest well-lit, safe location. If she gets arrested I will land on the department with a team of lawyers. We also both have external/internal dash cams. It wasn't too long ago here in San Diego that a cop was arrested for multiple rapes, murders and attempted murders.
Link Posted: 4/1/2015 11:30:49 PM EDT
[#48]
Quoted:

View All Quotes
Quoted:
Quoted:
Quoted:
No cell phone?

For a disregard of the law, and almost Victorian bullshit artists, you can't top cops.    

Link Posted: 4/1/2015 11:32:02 PM EDT
[#49]
Quoted:

View All Quotes
Quoted:
Quoted:

And that guy was a REAL cop, not an impersonator.  Always a good idea to stop in a public place, even if you KNOW it is a a cop.  
Link Posted: 4/1/2015 11:33:37 PM EDT
[#50]
Quoted:
[
For a disregard of the law, and almost Victorian bullshit artists, you can't top cops.    

View Quote

"Badge of America"
Arrow Left Previous Page
Page / 9
Close Join Our Mail List to Stay Up To Date! Win a FREE Membership!

Sign up for the ARFCOM weekly newsletter and be entered to win a free ARFCOM membership. One new winner* is announced every week!

You will receive an email every Friday morning featuring the latest chatter from the hottest topics, breaking news surrounding legislation, as well as exclusive deals only available to ARFCOM email subscribers.

By signing up you agree to our User Agreement. *Must have a registered ARFCOM account to win.
Top Top