Are you sure you wish to do this?

Confirm Cancel
BCM
User Panel

Site Notices
Arrow Left Previous Page
Page / 4
Posted: 4/1/2015 9:20:03 AM EDT
IMO adults who do this around their own children are complete trash. I understand if you have no children you might not know how to turn it off in public but personally even before I had a child I did my best not to use any foul language around children.

I have a 5 year old and understand you cannot shelter her from every bad thing out there but last night their was a family sitting beside of us at chic-fila and they were relentless with dropping F bombs every 2 minutes and they had 2 little ones with them.

What do you do in this situation?

Link Posted: 4/1/2015 9:22:17 AM EDT
[#1]
I have been known to use adult language around my two little girls from time to time. But they are 21 and 23 so I dont feel too bad about it
Link Posted: 4/1/2015 9:23:56 AM EDT
[#2]
Dirty words are fucking dangerous.  We should ban them.
Link Posted: 4/1/2015 9:25:16 AM EDT
[#3]
Link Posted: 4/1/2015 9:25:41 AM EDT
[#4]
I don't around my kids. I also don't drink around them if I can help it.  on the other hand I also don't shelter them from all the bad things in the world.
Link Posted: 4/1/2015 9:25:54 AM EDT
[#5]
Discussion ForumsJump to Quoted PostQuote History
Quoted:
No.

I don't talk that way around adults, either.

Profanity is a verbal crutch for the inarticulate.
View Quote

Exactly.
Link Posted: 4/1/2015 9:25:58 AM EDT
[#6]
Quoted:
No.

View Quote

Bullshit.
Link Posted: 4/1/2015 9:26:24 AM EDT
[#7]
I turn it down a bit, but who fucking cares?  

if you stub your toe in front of a kid and you say "shoot" or "darn it" instead of "shit" or "damn it"   what does it matter?   You are still cursing, just not using the words society deems bad.
Link Posted: 4/1/2015 9:27:14 AM EDT
[#8]
Link Posted: 4/1/2015 9:27:39 AM EDT
[#9]
No. Rarely at all any other time, either. I was a potty mouth in my youth, but I grew out of it.

Link Posted: 4/1/2015 9:27:50 AM EDT
[#10]
Quoted:
No.

View Quote

Link Posted: 4/1/2015 9:30:45 AM EDT
[#11]
I swear like crazy, but I completely turn it off around the kids; mine or others.  If I hurt myself, yeah, something might fly out.
Link Posted: 4/1/2015 9:32:19 AM EDT
[#12]
My nephews probably think it's like the Bill Cosby skit...

They are God Damn it and Jesus Christ.

Followed by: "GET OFF THAT TRACTOR"
Link Posted: 4/1/2015 9:32:43 AM EDT
[#13]
There have been times when I accidentally let something slip during a fit of anger but otherwise I do not curse around my daughters or while out in public.  My daughters are now teenagers and are aware of curse words and know that they are to not use such language.  We have had similar experiences while out in public that the OP had and I've just used it as a teachable moment to my girls of how trashy and inappropriate it is to speak that way in public or as a part of one's regular vocabulary.  I think they get it as I have not had that problem with them.
Link Posted: 4/1/2015 9:33:09 AM EDT
[#14]
I've got a little more fucking coothe than that.

But she's 26 now with two kids so she's heard a word or two.  But the grandbabies haven't.
Link Posted: 4/1/2015 9:33:10 AM EDT
[#15]
Well, not around my own child, but I use it on Arfcom regularly, and I'm pretty sure that qualifies.
Link Posted: 4/1/2015 9:34:08 AM EDT
[#16]
Fuckin' a
Link Posted: 4/1/2015 9:34:45 AM EDT
[#17]
I do not curse in front of strangers, my parents, or children.
Link Posted: 4/1/2015 9:35:11 AM EDT
[#18]
Quoted:
No.

View Quote

fuckin A i couldnt agree more
Link Posted: 4/1/2015 9:35:47 AM EDT
[#19]
I try not to.  Heck, I try not to swear in general but sometimes I just can't help it.
Link Posted: 4/1/2015 9:36:30 AM EDT
[#20]
I try very hard when I'm around kids. I'm just not used to it, so I always seem to slip up once if given enough time around them.

I've never slipped while talking or playing with the kids, but having a conversation with their parents is a different story.

ETA Also keep in mind I'm talking about 2-6 year olds. Plenty of 12-14 year olds around  the hunt club I visit and some that belong to my friends. We don't watch our language around them because we know what is was like to be 14.
Link Posted: 4/1/2015 9:37:02 AM EDT
[#21]
I try not to, even when around other adults. It's not civilized behavior.
Link Posted: 4/1/2015 9:37:15 AM EDT
[#22]
Link Posted: 4/1/2015 9:37:20 AM EDT
[#23]
I don't use foul language around anyone. The only time I do is if it's a direct quote of something that just won't work without it.
Link Posted: 4/1/2015 9:38:18 AM EDT
[#24]
A choice word comes out of my mouth from time to time...
Link Posted: 4/1/2015 9:38:59 AM EDT
[#25]
Only those little rock chucking Afghan bastards

Me _____________________________Afghan Bastards
Link Posted: 4/1/2015 9:39:55 AM EDT
[#26]
No.  I try to have some class.
Link Posted: 4/1/2015 9:40:40 AM EDT
[#27]
No, I don't.
Link Posted: 4/1/2015 9:40:56 AM EDT
[#28]
I try not to use foul language.  Especially around children.  I do work in a kitchen.  So sometimes profanity does slip out.
Link Posted: 4/1/2015 9:41:11 AM EDT
[#29]
Foul language is used when you run out of something intelligent to say. You could say something, but it will most likely fall on deaf ears. Common decency isn't so common anymore.
It's poop until you step in it though!
Link Posted: 4/1/2015 9:43:40 AM EDT
[#30]
Quoted:

Bullshit.
View Quote View All Quotes
View All Quotes
Quoted:
Quoted:
No.

Bullshit.

For instance. Remove the swear word from your comment and you said...............nothing. If asked what you fertilized your garden with, that would be a suitable answer.
Link Posted: 4/1/2015 9:46:01 AM EDT
[#31]
Several years of working in the field for engineering/construction work has helped to refine my fluency in profanity.

Now that my daughter is about to turn 1, I really need to dial it back. Wife unit does not find my choice of words amusing.
Link Posted: 4/1/2015 9:46:33 AM EDT
[#32]
Quoted:

if you stub your toe in front of a kid and you say "shoot" or "darn it" instead of "shit" or "damn it"   what does it matter?   You are still cursing, just not using the words society deems bad.
View Quote

Exactly. My kids know what's acceptable speech for them to use.
Words.....they scare me.
Link Posted: 4/1/2015 9:47:51 AM EDT
[#33]
I do not curse in front of kids, although they have pushed me to the edge several times.  

In public, I have asked others to tone it down a little without creating any drama.  Most people do not even realize they are doing it.
Link Posted: 4/1/2015 9:49:29 AM EDT
[#34]
I try not too, but I let some slip... a lot. When I realize I'm doing it, I am usually pretty good about stopping it.

Same thing with strangers. I just can't help it sometimes. Profanjty just adds color to an otherwise boring conversation. That and if I get the vibe that the stranger I'm talking to is prior mil, then the filter just magically comes off. I did it yesterday talking to a customer, and i NEVER cuss in front of customers.
Link Posted: 4/1/2015 9:50:26 AM EDT
[#35]
Quoted:

Bullshit.
View All Quotes
Quoted:
Quoted:
No.

Bullshit.

profanity is just one prong of my varied verbal attack
Link Posted: 4/1/2015 9:52:12 AM EDT
[#36]
I won't answer the question, but I will tell a story...

Back in the bad old days, my wife and I had 2 jobs, 1 daughter, and 1 car.  Since she had to be at work at 6am, I would get up early and take my wife to work, then my daughter and I would come back home and sleep a few more hours.  Then I would get her, my daughter, ready for day-care then I would go to work.  Well, one day she couldn't find her shoes.  We looked all over the apartment.  Spent about 30 minutes searching and I may or may not have been expressing my frustration with some descriptive language.  Finally find her shoes and off we go.

Next day is the same routine, get up, take wife to work, come back, sleep, get up again, get daughter ready.  But, this time as I'm making breakfast for us, my less than 2 year old daughter comes in the kitchen with this big grin on her face and proudly proclaims:

"Look, daddy!  Look, I found my God-Damned shoes!"
Link Posted: 4/1/2015 9:52:44 AM EDT
[#37]
I don't do it around my kids. Little pitchers have big ears. My daughter Eden repeats everything ... even commercial jingles. It's never-ending. She was peeing the other day at 3:00 a.m. singing, "looky, looky, looky, here comes Cooky ... Cook's pest control."

But I do swear when needed ... I strung together a sentence of such monumental swearing the other day that I bet it somehow conjured demons, provoked devils, and deafened several nuns. My bare foot has the ability to seek out anything solid enough to break a toe pretty regularly. I broke two running through the house trying to dodge my weirdo neighbor who I saw coming across my yard. To make it even worse, I live in a split level and was diving down into a landing. After breaking my toes, I had a burst of super-adrenalin and launched myself too high ... bonking my forehead on the lower roof section. I spent the week hobbling around and looking like a Klingon thanks to bruising and swelling on my forehead.

And the weirdo still saw me and knocked on the damn window, waving, telling me to come outside and see his new electric weed eater.
Link Posted: 4/1/2015 9:52:56 AM EDT
[#38]
Fuck no. Never around my kids or other children.
Link Posted: 4/1/2015 9:54:50 AM EDT
[#39]
Quoted:

Exactly.
View All Quotes
Quoted:
Quoted:
No.

Exactly.

Wrong: http://www.dailymail.co.uk/news/article-2625581/Swearing-emotional-creative-language-say-researchers-claim-GOOD-you.html

I have almost 3 year old twin boys and I do my best not to swear around them; though a "damnit" slips out every once in awhile when I stub my toe on something they dragged out in the floor.
Link Posted: 4/1/2015 9:55:13 AM EDT
[#40]
I have no money sucking spawn but I try to tone my language the fuck down around my nephews (oldest is 6) and other children.
Link Posted: 4/1/2015 9:55:20 AM EDT
[#41]

Quoted:

No.

View Quote

I disagree entirely. They are words just like any other. They have definable definitions and uses. Excluding them from your vocabulary to sound verbose makes you seem like an inarticulate fuck.

Notice the effectiveness of the word? Knave is an acceptable substitute, yet, it isn't.
Link Posted: 4/1/2015 9:56:20 AM EDT
[#42]
A few months ago, my roomie invited a friend over for something or other. They brought their kid over. I didn't even notice either of them were here.

I saw a few ants on the kitchen counter and went on a long string of profanity out of anger for those cocksucking assholes that keep finding their way in every winter.
My roomie pops his head around the wall to let me know a kid was here.

But seriously. There should never be kids here. Ever.
Link Posted: 4/1/2015 9:57:25 AM EDT
[#43]
No.

Now at work? Its pretty bad.
Link Posted: 4/1/2015 9:57:50 AM EDT
[#44]
Quoted:
IMO adults who do this around their own children are complete trash. I understand if you have no children you might not know how to turn it off in public but personally even before I had a child I did my best not to use any foul language around children.

I have a 5 year old and understand you cannot shelter her from every bad thing out there but last night their was a family sitting beside of us at chic-fila and they were relentless with dropping F bombs every 2 minutes and they had 2 little ones with them.

What do you do in this situation?

View Quote

Uh worry about your own kids?

Link Posted: 4/1/2015 9:58:47 AM EDT
[#45]
on a tangential note, I clicked on this thread largely because it seemed to be almost certainly free of any faggoty april foolsness
Link Posted: 4/1/2015 9:58:55 AM EDT
[#46]
Not intentionally.
Link Posted: 4/1/2015 9:59:14 AM EDT
[#47]
My kids both go to military school so I wont see them all that much. Some of the stuff that comes out of there mouths makes do a double take, and I thought I was a pro when it comes to profanity.
Link Posted: 4/1/2015 9:59:50 AM EDT
[#48]
Quoted:
No.

View Quote

I don't talk that way either but it doesn't bother me except around children. FWIW I've heard some astonishing tirades, especially impressive were the many variations and uses for some of the same words. Profanity is nearly an art form for some.

Posted Via AR15.Com Mobile
Link Posted: 4/1/2015 10:00:40 AM EDT
[#49]
Quoted:
No.

Now at work? Its pretty bad.
View Quote

Thats me.
Don't cuss around kids or my parents, but at work it is game on.
Link Posted: 4/1/2015 10:00:54 AM EDT
[#50]
Quoted:

View Quote

Exactly
Arrow Left Previous Page
Page / 4
Close Join Our Mail List to Stay Up To Date! Win a FREE Membership!

Sign up for the ARFCOM weekly newsletter and be entered to win a free ARFCOM membership. One new winner* is announced every week!

You will receive an email every Friday morning featuring the latest chatter from the hottest topics, breaking news surrounding legislation, as well as exclusive deals only available to ARFCOM email subscribers.

By signing up you agree to our User Agreement. *Must have a registered ARFCOM account to win.
Top Top