Are you sure you wish to do this?

Confirm Cancel
BCM
User Panel

Site Notices
Arrow Left Previous Page
Page / 2
Posted: 3/31/2015 10:14:05 PM EDT
I'm currently running a start-up in AZ and I'm looking for some help to convince a few of my teammates that we need to wrap a vehicle as a marketing tool.

So for anyone out there who deals with new companies trying to sell you gadgets, if a company arrived for a live demo of their system which would you be most likely to buy from?

THE PRIUS WAS A JOKE - There is no way on earth i'm letting my products be marketed with a Prius, it was just  a joke to get ya'll to click on this topic.

Link Posted: 3/31/2015 10:15:46 PM EDT
[#1]
I trust no salesman, ever.
Link Posted: 3/31/2015 10:16:47 PM EDT
[#2]
I've worked around salesmen for the last 15 years. I don't trust a single one of them no matter what they drive.
Link Posted: 3/31/2015 10:17:13 PM EDT
[#3]
What if I told you we aren't salesmen, we're the engineers that designed and built it.... please tell me that doesn't make us salesmen....
Link Posted: 3/31/2015 10:17:22 PM EDT
[#4]
Are you selling carbon credits ?

Probably not , everybody I know who owns one has that 'hippie arrogance' or whatever it is
Link Posted: 3/31/2015 10:20:05 PM EDT
[#5]
I don't even know what a Carbon credit is... I'm the one advocating the Jeep
Link Posted: 3/31/2015 10:23:29 PM EDT
[#6]

Discussion ForumsJump to Quoted PostQuote History
Quoted:

I trust no salesman, ever.
View Quote

Link Posted: 3/31/2015 10:24:58 PM EDT
[#7]
http://www.movieneon.com/img/movies/characters/47/948.png
Link Posted: 3/31/2015 10:26:14 PM EDT
[#8]

Are they selling Coal out of the back of the Explorer so we can use it to stay warm when we can't afford electricity under Obama's clean air edict  
Posted via my Obama phone
Link Posted: 3/31/2015 10:29:22 PM EDT
[#9]
In my industry, most likely a plain newer suv or truck, with a toolbox and  grill guard.
Link Posted: 3/31/2015 10:30:25 PM EDT
[#10]
Yes you guys are salesmen. You are going out and finding a need people have and filling that need. A lot of times salesmen get a bad rep from creating an artificial need and/or filing that need poorly.

That was the reason I left my old firm. Too much interested in selling.
Link Posted: 3/31/2015 10:37:11 PM EDT
[#11]
Quoted:
In my industry, most likely a plain newer suv or truck, with a toolbox and  grill guard.
View Quote

This is the answer.
Link Posted: 3/31/2015 10:41:13 PM EDT
[#12]
Prius gives off the vibe of

1 Cheap

2 Trying to score cheap political points

3 A hard core political radical
or combination of the above

just get something nice newer , keep graphics to a minimum you are not selling workout supplements

probably American made to ensure you won't piss off some old made in 'merica business owner

Link Posted: 3/31/2015 11:06:18 PM EDT
[#13]
Quoted:
Yes you guys are salesmen. You are going out and finding a need people have and filling that need. A lot of times salesmen get a bad rep from creating an artificial need and/or filing that need poorly.

View Quote

Precisely what we are trying to avoid, it's definitely a need product as we've seen from the field trials we have going on now. I just hate being labelled a salesmen due to the old stigma, Thank you for saying that.

I'm suggesting that we get a new Jeep Grand Cherokee with some mild vinyl accents to compliment the color of the vehicle (Dark grey paintjob) and add a few of our company logos with the website; Nothing with a full graphics wrap. Something that we can pick clients up from the airport in, drive people out into the desert to go shooting (Our version of "golf"), and drive around town for a little exposure.
Link Posted: 3/31/2015 11:15:24 PM EDT
[#14]
Quoted:
Prius gives off the vibe of
1 Cheap
2 Trying to score cheap political points
3 A hard core political radical

or combination of the above

just get something nice newer , keep graphics to a minimum you are not selling workout supplements
probably American made to ensure you won't piss off some old made in 'merica business owner

View Quote

Also say "I drive 48mph on the freeway in the left lane".
Link Posted: 4/1/2015 1:37:15 AM EDT
[#15]
Link Posted: 4/1/2015 2:22:12 AM EDT
[#16]
I would wonder why they spent money on a wrap instead of controlling their costs.
Link Posted: 4/1/2015 2:26:18 AM EDT
[#17]

This, except put on a muffler and wear ear plugs.  Throw a couch in the back with a cooler of beer for your clients.

ETA: I voted jeep but i take it back since what you mentioned wasn't a wrangler.  

What about a suburban or taho?  

Link Posted: 4/1/2015 2:28:07 AM EDT
[#18]
Explorer. Practical and nice.
Link Posted: 4/1/2015 2:29:17 AM EDT
[#19]
A luxury sedan, or SUV.
Link Posted: 4/1/2015 2:30:36 AM EDT
[#20]
Wraps always seem super ass cheesy to me. Kind of door to door salesmanish.
Link Posted: 4/1/2015 2:30:51 AM EDT
[#21]
Quoted:
This, except put on a muffler and wear ear plugs.  Throw a couch in the back with a cooler of beer for your clients.

ETA: I voted jeep but i take it back since what you mentioned wasn't a wrangler.  

View Quote View All Quotes
View All Quotes
Quoted:

Where do I sign up?
Link Posted: 4/1/2015 2:51:53 AM EDT
[#22]
Quoted:
View All Quotes
Quoted:

We aren't planning to do a full graphic wrap, the fully printed wraps are cheesy I agree. The vehicle will be dark grey from the factory so we would be adding some logos and our website to direct some traffic, possibly some krpyek typhoon accents here and there but it would be subtle.

Quoted:
Explorer. Practical and nice.

I agree with this statement in reference to several past model years, the current generation doesn't really impress me and considering we have to lease the vehicle we would be stuck with the hideous version. The 2015 sport edition might work, terrible ground clearance however.
Link Posted: 4/1/2015 2:57:40 AM EDT
[#23]
Link Posted: 4/1/2015 3:12:11 AM EDT
[#24]
jeep
Link Posted: 4/1/2015 3:15:25 AM EDT
[#25]
I do not buy firearms based on the type of vehicle and/or wrap.

Just buy the most functional vehicle you can, that serves as many of ypur needs as possible
Link Posted: 4/1/2015 3:18:40 AM EDT
[#26]
First of all, its PORSCHE not Proshe, second of all, old beat up junk box of a Porsche is the right answer.
Link Posted: 4/1/2015 3:20:47 AM EDT
[#27]
Link Posted: 4/1/2015 3:24:57 AM EDT
[#28]
I'd say a new 2015 F-150 supercab -- more cargo capacity and better mpg than the Explorer and they look damn nice. Get locking containers for the bed for merchandise security.

However someone will be here shortly to explain it can only be purchased at the $65000 trim level and that instead you should get a full ton truck with the biggest engine and longest bed possible, otherwise you just have a prius with an unlockable trunk.
Link Posted: 4/1/2015 3:44:38 AM EDT
[#29]
Quoted:
I'd say a new 2015 F-150 supercab -- more cargo capacity and better mpg than the Explorer and they look damn nice. Get locking containers for the bed for merchandise security.

However someone will be here shortly to explain it can only be purchased at the $65000 trim level and that instead you should get a full ton truck with the biggest engine and longest bed possible, otherwise you just have a prius with an unlockable trunk.
View Quote

We looked into the F-150 and several other pickup trucks, I wouldn't rule it out completely but we started leaning more towards the fully enclosed SUV (Also looked at the 4 runner) for practicality. We are dragging some rather expensive camera gear (octo-copter, gimbals) into the desert for photo shoots along with our other equipment and my worry with a pickup would be having several large pelican cases with camera gear baking in the sun.

I guess I should have commented on why the jeep was appealing in the first place, first here is a render of what I mean when I say "Wrap" (supposed to be a dark grey paintjob to start with). Like I said we would be adding minimal wrapping to it, just enough to get our message across and attract some minor attention.

Main Reasons we need a company vehicle:

1 - Picking up potential customers, advisers, and clients from the airport for product demonstrations and training.
2 - Frequent trips out in the AZ desert for Research and Development.
3 - Touring AZ and neighboring states for training and system setups

With that said the reasons the Jeep drew us in closer was the EcoDiesel option that allegedly gets up to 730 miles on a tank. It seems to blend enough offroad capability with the on-road handling since we aren't doing any hardcore trails in it the comfort level is nice.
Link Posted: 4/1/2015 3:46:14 AM EDT
[#30]
By "Jeep" I assumed you meant "Wrangler" until I saw your pic.

All your cars are fail.

Wrap one of these, they have two for sale in town here, Colorado Springs, for 120-140k each.
Link Posted: 4/1/2015 3:48:41 AM EDT
[#31]
Quoted:

With that said the reasons the Jeep drew us in closer was the EcoDiesel option that allegedly gets up to 730 miles on a tank. It seems to blend enough offroad capability with the on-road handling since we aren't doing any hardcore trails in it the comfort level is nice.
View Quote

get a Lariat with the FX4 option -- right now my 3.5L F150 gets about 700 miles to the tank with the 36 gallon extended tank, the 2.7L should get even better. And the interior of the Lariat would go good in impressing clients.
Link Posted: 4/1/2015 3:54:51 AM EDT
[#32]
voted Explorer because it is the best car listed

but I think you should get a new Ford van for the sheer amount of real estate available
Link Posted: 4/1/2015 11:19:42 AM EDT
[#33]
Quoted:

Precisely what we are trying to avoid, it's definitely a need product as we've seen from the field trials we have going on now. I just hate being labelled a salesmen due to the old stigma, Thank you for saying that.

I'm suggesting that we get a new Jeep Grand Cherokee with some mild vinyl accents to compliment the color of the vehicle (Dark grey paintjob) and add a few of our company logos with the website; Nothing with a full graphics wrap. Something that we can pick clients up from the airport in, drive people out into the desert to go shooting (Our version of "golf"), and drive around town for a little exposure.
View All Quotes
Quoted:
Quoted:

you really need to tell us the demographics of your target audience. That would help a lot. For example, what I do for a living and where I do my job if I drove a BMW or a Jag everyday people would take that as an insult. Since I drive a F250 that stickered for 60k when it was new, no problem at all.

Move me a half hour to my East and I would look odd driving a F250 and not a BMW, Jag etc.

Link Posted: 4/1/2015 12:10:40 PM EDT
[#34]
Black Suburban with tinted windows, black front push guard and a 3" square company logo on the left rear bottom corner of the back window.

Link Posted: 4/1/2015 12:14:57 PM EDT
[#35]
Quoted:
Black Suburban with tinted windows, black front push guard and a 3" square company logo on the left rear bottom corner of the back window.

View Quote

100% customer satisfaction always .
Link Posted: 4/1/2015 12:19:32 PM EDT
[#36]

you really need to tell us the demographics of your target audience. That would help a lot. For example, what I do for a living and where I do my job if I drove a BMW or a Jag everyday people would take that as an insult. Since I drive a F250 that stickered for 60k when it was new, no problem at all.

Move me a half hour to my East and I would look odd driving a F250 and not a BMW, Jag etc.

View Quote

We are bringing a new adaptive dry fire training system to market this year so our primary demographic will be law enforcement in 2015. We have a consumer version as well that will be launching in 2016 but those sales would primarily be through online channels. I'm concerned that if we arrive at a police station to give a demo and we aren't in a company branded vehicle that they wont take us seriously.
Link Posted: 4/1/2015 12:25:39 PM EDT
[#37]
Quoted:

We are bringing a new adaptive dry fire training system to market this year so our primary demographic will be law enforcement in 2015. We have a consumer version as well that will be launching in 2016 but those sales would primarily be through online channels. I'm concerned that if we arrive at a police station to give a demo and we aren't in a company branded vehicle that they wont take us seriously.
View All Quotes
Quoted:

I see, if you are selling to primarily LEO and people who want to be LEO. Then your vehicle should be somthing LEO's like or think is cool. You need to be branded at this point. Your explorer should work find, I think I have seen LEOs in explorers before around here. You will need the black rims, push bar etc etc, basically make it look Tactical with out going FULL HSLD.
Link Posted: 4/1/2015 12:26:45 PM EDT
[#38]
Definitely Prius
Link Posted: 4/1/2015 12:27:34 PM EDT
[#39]

Something like that. By the way, if you are considering a jeep JK, don't. It doesn't have the room you need. Your product may be small but if you plan on doing shows, you will need to put a lot of stuff in the cargo area.

Instead of the police lights, you can put a really big LED light bar up there.
Link Posted: 4/1/2015 12:30:04 PM EDT
[#40]
Quoted:
First of all, its PORSCHE not Proshe, second of all, old beat up junk box of a Porsche is the right answer.
View Quote

Indeed. A man who drives an old beat up junk box of a Porsche (probably even a 928 or 944 of all things) is a man who works on his car and enjoys driving it. This is a man I'd like to do business with.

All of the others are uninspiring automotive appliances that tell me nothing.
Link Posted: 4/1/2015 12:30:06 PM EDT
[#41]
Unimog, a la Magpul.
Link Posted: 4/1/2015 12:30:35 PM EDT
[#42]
I vote dirty old Porsche.

Something like this should be easy to pick up cheap.

Link Posted: 4/1/2015 12:33:09 PM EDT
[#43]
Quoted:

View All Quotes
Quoted:

Police departments care about how fool proof it iis, how easy it is to use and how much it will cost.  Few will care about your ride.  Since this is a start up, are you sure you want to spend your dollars on a marketing tool like a car?
Link Posted: 4/1/2015 12:35:19 PM EDT
[#44]
Quoted:

Police departments care about who fool proof it iis, how easy it is to use and how much it will cost.  Few will care about your ride.  Since this is a start up, are you sure you want to spend your dollars on a marketing tool like a car?
View All Quotes
Quoted:
Quoted:

Police departments care about who fool proof it iis, how easy it is to use and how much it will cost.  Few will care about your ride.  Since this is a start up, are you sure you want to spend your dollars on a marketing tool like a car?

lease that shit for like 200 a month.

Link Posted: 4/1/2015 12:37:25 PM EDT
[#45]
Waste of money. Spend that cash on something else.

If you're looking for exposure to the industry, use the internet. If you want to impress customers, buy them lunch.

Vehicle advertising only works for plumbers and landscaping services.
Link Posted: 4/1/2015 12:37:48 PM EDT
[#46]
Link Posted: 4/1/2015 12:38:13 PM EDT
[#47]
Link Posted: 4/1/2015 12:48:59 PM EDT
[#48]
Quoted:
jmho...

i have never once considered a product i have seen wrapped on a vehicle.
View Quote

Neither have I. If anything, I avoid ones that are marketed that heavily. It just sounds like a waste of money to me.
Link Posted: 4/1/2015 12:50:14 PM EDT
[#49]
What does the car you're driving have to do with your work?
Link Posted: 4/1/2015 1:27:39 PM EDT
[#50]
I am sure op knows that wrapping the vehicle isn't going to sell the product. It's just another marketing tool. It's a moving billboard, he needs a vehicle anyways.
Arrow Left Previous Page
Page / 2
Close Join Our Mail List to Stay Up To Date! Win a FREE Membership!

Sign up for the ARFCOM weekly newsletter and be entered to win a free ARFCOM membership. One new winner* is announced every week!

You will receive an email every Friday morning featuring the latest chatter from the hottest topics, breaking news surrounding legislation, as well as exclusive deals only available to ARFCOM email subscribers.

By signing up you agree to our User Agreement. *Must have a registered ARFCOM account to win.
Top Top