Are you sure you wish to do this?

Confirm Cancel
BCM
User Panel

Site Notices
Arrow Left Previous Page
Page / 6
Posted: 3/22/2015 12:14:06 AM EDT
very interesting article in the atlantic about how the AA's binary abstinence only approach is dogmatic, antiquated, and not supported by scientific research if not antagonistic to it, and perhaps has a single digits success rate.

http://www.theatlantic.com/features/archive/2015/03/the-irrationality-of-alcoholics-anonymous/386255/

I found this little gem very interesting:
In 1934, just after Prohibition’s repeal, a failed stockbroker named Bill Wilson staggered into a Manhattan hospital. Wilson was known to drink two quarts of whiskey a day, a habit he’d attempted to kick many times. He was given the hallucinogen belladonna, an experimental treatment for addictions, and from his hospital bed he called out to God to loosen alcohol’s grip. He reported seeing a flash of light and feeling a serenity he had never before experienced. He quit booze for good. The next year, he co-founded Alcoholics Anonymous. He based its principles on the beliefs of the evangelical Oxford Group, which taught that people were sinners who, through confession and God’s help, could right their paths.
View Quote

This reminded me of research into the use of a hallucinagen & councilling for PTSD. I fear he may have taken the wrong idea from his belladona trip lol.

The above seems to have went over almost everyone's head!  Let me be more clear: The founder of AA came to believe in god and developed his anti drug system b/c of a vision while tripping on a hallucinogenic!  

Now I'm not some drug warrior, but i do find this ironic, for lack of a better word!  And, I'm not syaing that the system is completely suspect or bad.  I just wonder if maybe he might have misinterpreted his experience somewhat...  

I'm open to the possiblity of hallucinagens having theraputic benefits & giving people meaningful insights, there is research into this question again now.  But usually the first question one asks when they say they saw god or a UFO or some paranormal shit is: "had you been drinking/drugging?"  If the answer is yes, usually the tale is consider...specious.  Perhaps AA would have more success if they passed out acid tabs lol, no I keed, I keed.

ETA: the point is that there is more than one way to treat alcahol addiction
Link Posted: 3/22/2015 12:22:13 AM EDT
[#1]
Something tells me that Barry or Nancy has a new idea to increase the scope of Obamacare to include years of rehab and they went to the liberal shit-sheet known as The Atlantic to start ginning up support for their latest distraction/cause. We wouldn't want people to spend too much time on Hillary's emails. They might realize that Obama appointed her. Bad for the party and all that...
Link Posted: 3/22/2015 12:25:17 AM EDT
[#2]
Addicts are addicts. AA is meant to help people quit, it's a support group to help stay sober.

Noone goes to AA to quit drinking, they go to get support to stay sober.

Link Posted: 3/22/2015 12:26:37 AM EDT
[#3]
think I will have a beer
Link Posted: 3/22/2015 12:27:04 AM EDT
[#4]
It helps some people quit drinking.  That's more than can be said for most of it's detractors.
Link Posted: 3/22/2015 12:27:50 AM EDT
[#5]
Whatever, alcoholism is caused by an imbalance of bodily humours or in some rare cases demon possession brought on by an eclipse.  
Link Posted: 3/22/2015 12:28:30 AM EDT
[#6]
Other than AA, a serious gutter ball event, or religious conversion, or some combination of the proceedings death is the only cure for true drunks that I know of.
Link Posted: 3/22/2015 12:31:16 AM EDT
[#7]
Quoted:
very interesting article in the atlantic about how the AA's binary abstinence only approach is dogmatic, antiquated, and not supported by scientific research if not antagonistic to it, and perhaps has a single digits success rate.
View Quote

I would guess that most treatments of addiction have success rates in the single digits when defined in those terms.  Nothing will "make" an addict quit.
Link Posted: 3/22/2015 12:35:02 AM EDT
[#8]
AA works for some people (I know a few), but it's main drawback in the eyes of the ACA medical establishment may well be the cost: it's free.
Link Posted: 3/22/2015 12:36:29 AM EDT
[#9]
Considering the alternatives, or just the reasonably priced alternatives, AA seems to be doing a pretty good job.

Yeh ever notice that some folks need to see a 100% success rate or something is a failure.  There aren't many things I expect a 100% success rate.  One of those is landings when I'm flying.
Link Posted: 3/22/2015 12:37:41 AM EDT
[#10]
AA is a bunch of bullshit. Telling people they are not capable of handling themselves and they must submit to something else for strength isn't empowering, it's a transaction where they try to trade one crutch for another. Im so tired of victimization in all its forms, especially AfuckingA.
Link Posted: 3/22/2015 12:39:32 AM EDT
[#11]
It works if you work it.
Link Posted: 3/22/2015 12:42:30 AM EDT
[#12]
Discussion ForumsJump to Quoted PostQuote History
Quoted:
AA is a bunch of bullshit. Telling people they are not capable of handling themselves and they must submit to something else for strength isn't empowering, it's a transaction where they try to trade one crutch for another. Im so tired of victimization in all its forms, especially AfuckingA.
View Quote

AA certainly doesn't encourage people to claim they are victims, if that's what you mean.  Actually the opposite.
Link Posted: 3/22/2015 12:44:01 AM EDT
[#13]
Treating addicts... Never going to be 100% "successful."

I saw it work, though... I have seen people quit, and lead alcohol free lives.

When I was a missionary... It was AA (essentially) that we taught.

It works for some... People who want to change...
Link Posted: 3/22/2015 12:44:07 AM EDT
[#14]
Quoted:

I would guess that most treatments of addiction have success rates in the single digits when defined in those terms.  Nothing will "make" an addict quit.
View Quote View All Quotes
View All Quotes
Quoted:
Quoted:

Quoted:
AA works for some people (I know a few), but it's main drawback in the eyes of the ACA medical establishment may well be the cost: it's free.

Both of these.

Medical psychiatric "addiction treatment" results are generally fucking miserable; they don't have any room to be throwing stones.
Link Posted: 3/22/2015 12:44:35 AM EDT
[#15]
Quoted:
It works if you work it.
View Quote

unthinking at its finest
Link Posted: 3/22/2015 12:44:35 AM EDT
[#16]
Penn and Teller already did this.
Link Posted: 3/22/2015 12:45:51 AM EDT
[#17]
Quoted:
Penn and Teller already did this.
View Quote

link
Link Posted: 3/22/2015 12:47:23 AM EDT
[#18]
Quoted:
Other than AA, a serious gutter ball event, or religious conversion, or some combination of the proceedings death is the only cure for true drunks that I know of.
View Quote

I disagree.
I used to drink like a fish, I simply got tired of headaches every morning and slowly cut down. Now it's unusual if I even have a drink a week.
Link Posted: 3/22/2015 12:47:41 AM EDT
[#19]
I think the point is there is more than one way to treat alcohol addiction.
Link Posted: 3/22/2015 12:48:22 AM EDT
[#20]
Quoted:

AA certainly doesn't encourage people to claim they are victims, if that's what you mean.  Actually the opposite.
View All Quotes
Quoted:
Quoted:

Not from what I saw when I went to a meeting with my mom.

"I'm powerless over my addiction."
"Only a higher power can help me."
"I will never not be an addict."

I know it has helped some people, but I didn't like the tone. Just my opinion, though. Whatever works.
Link Posted: 3/22/2015 12:48:34 AM EDT
[#21]
Quoted:

unthinking at its finest
View All Quotes
Quoted:
Quoted:
It works if you work it.

unthinking at its finest

Keep coming back.
Link Posted: 3/22/2015 12:48:34 AM EDT
[#22]
so AA's approach of alcoholism of not drinking alcohol is antiquated and dogmatic?  Maybe they need a new approach of allowing alcoholics to get drunk every day
Link Posted: 3/22/2015 12:50:09 AM EDT
[#23]
Quoted:
View Quote

well, there is the anecdtal expericne of some random guy and there is double blind repetable scientific research.  

Its not surpriseing that in your experience, in the US the predomanance of AA thinking and its various concepts such as "hitting bottom" "one an alcaholic always an alcaholic" etc have so permutated our culture, partially through this congressional funding arrangement setup by that Iowa senator described in the article, that most people are unaware that there are alternatives that are the producs of real scientific research.

Link Posted: 3/22/2015 12:53:31 AM EDT
[#24]
Quoted:
Considering the alternatives, or just the reasonably priced alternatives, AA seems to be doing a pretty good job.

Yeh ever notice that some folks need to see a 100% success rate or something is a failure.  There aren't many things I expect a 100% success rate.  One of those is landings when I'm flying.
View Quote

neitehr I nor hte article complains that AA is NOT a 100% success.  The article contends that the success rate may be as low as 5% and points out htat AA makes getting statitiscs famously difficult, thouhg admittedly, that may be ncessary for privacy or something.

The article basically staes that there is a spectrum of different types of problem drinkers and that only a minority actually need the life long absolute absitnence approach.
Link Posted: 3/22/2015 12:54:16 AM EDT
[#25]
I was in and out of rehabs and jail for years dealing with my issues with alcohol.

I have done 90 meetings in 90 days, and been to both AA focused and non AA rehabs.

I just ticked past two years of sobriety, and have made a 180 degree turnaround in my life.

I personally am not an AA guy.

The program emphasizes with every mantra, every chant, every meeting, the philosophy that you have no control over yourself. That the addiction is stronger than you are, that you are a victim of a disease, that you can't control yourself, that only AA can help, over and over and over again.

This never jived with me. I had to learn that life requires me to be in control of myself, it requires me to stand by my convictions, it requires me to make an effort, and it requires me to take the good with the bad and shrug it off. Being happy and content means understanding that you can do anything, including quitting drinking, if you put your mind to it. I learned to believe in myself, and as a result I quit drinking and drew myself up out of a deep, lifelong depression.

I believe AA sets many people up to fail in this manner. It doesn't reaffirm the individual, it doesn't enforce that YES! you can fucking do it. It just dwells on, and constantly fetishizes, the addiction. I saw time and time again, if a person found themselves in a situation where they had a beer, mentally they had BAM gone back to square negative 100, and instead of exhibiting any kind of self control, just gave in and went on a destructive bender. The mindset is not, "adapt, learn, improve" it is "come to meetings or fall into the pit of despair and doom."

I wanted to move on in my life, I want'ed to be normal, I wanted to be happy.

The last thing I want to do now is sit in a room and think solely about alcohol, about addiction, about that next drink. I have a life to live.

Also, the rate of success for people seeking to quit drinking is the same, regardless of what method they choose to use. Simply deciding to quit, going to rehab, or attending AA all have about a 5% success rate.

You have to make up your mind to do it!

Link Posted: 3/22/2015 12:55:10 AM EDT
[#26]
Quoted:
It helps some people quit drinking.  That's more than can be said for most of it's detractors.
View Quote

Exactly correct.

ETA: I've seen quite a bit of variation in different AA groups as far as how much control a person has over addiction.

If you go to meeting that makes you feel worse than when you walked in you're doing it wrong.
Link Posted: 3/22/2015 12:55:23 AM EDT
[#27]
Quoted:

I know it has helped some people, but I didn't like the tone. Just my opinion, though. Whatever works.
View All Quotes
Quoted:
Quoted:
Quoted:

I thought you were saying AA allowed people to blame others or circumstances beyond their control for their actions.  I see what you meant now.
Link Posted: 3/22/2015 12:55:33 AM EDT
[#28]
Quoted:

well, there is the anecdtal expericne of some random guy and there is double blind repetable scientific research.  

Its not surpriseing that in your experience, in the US the predomanance of AA thinking and its various concepts such as "hitting bottom" "one an alcaholic always an alcaholic" etc have so permutated our culture, partially through this congressional funding arrangement setup by that Iowa senator described in the article, that most people are unaware that there are alternatives that are the producs of real scientific research.

View All Quotes
Quoted:
Quoted:

Well it sure seems to work for people who want it to work. Like most things.
Link Posted: 3/22/2015 12:55:56 AM EDT
[#29]
Quoted:
I think the point is there is more than one way to treat alcohol addiction.
View Quote

I just said that!
Link Posted: 3/22/2015 12:58:10 AM EDT
[#30]
Quoted:

View All Quotes
Quoted:
Quoted:
Quoted:

So does just quitting.

In my experience I saw a LOT of miserable people feigning happiness through the program, a few who really took it to heart and changed their thinking, and quite a few who actually had their progress hindered or damaged by AA.
Link Posted: 3/22/2015 12:58:23 AM EDT
[#31]
Quoted:
Addicts are addicts. AA is meant to help people quit, it's a support group to help stay sober.

Noone goes to AA to quit drinking, they go to get support to stay sober.

View Quote

^ This.   Some people simply can't handle drinking in any form.
Link Posted: 3/22/2015 12:59:23 AM EDT
[#32]

Quoted:
I disagree.

I used to drink like a fish, I simply got tired of headaches every morning and slowly cut down. Now it's unusual if I even have a drink a week.
View All Quotes
Quoted:

Quoted:

I disagree.

That doesn't sound like alcoholism at all.

Link Posted: 3/22/2015 1:04:25 AM EDT
[#33]
Quoted:
I was in and out of rehabs and jail for years dealing with my issues with alcohol.

I have done 90 meetings in 90 days, and been to both AA focused and non AA rehabs.

I just ticked past two years of sobriety, and have made a 180 degree turnaround in my life.

I personally am not an AA guy.

The program emphasizes with every mantra, every chant, every meeting, the philosophy that you have no control over yourself. That the addiction is stronger than you are, that you are a victim of a disease, that you can't control yourself, that only AA can help, over and over and over again.

This never jived with me. I had to learn that life requires me to be in control of myself, it requires me to stand by my convictions, it requires me to make an effort, and it requires me to take the good with the bad and shrug it off. Being happy and content means understanding that you can do anything, including quitting drinking, if you put your mind to it. I learned to believe in myself, and as a result I quit drinking and drew myself up out of a deep, lifelong depression.

I believe AA sets many people up to fail in this manner. It doesn't reaffirm the individual, it doesn't enforce that YES! you can fucking do it. It just dwells on, and constantly fetishizes, the addiction. I saw time and time again, if a person found themselves in a situation where they had a beer, mentally they had BAM gone back to square negative 100, and instead of exhibiting any kind of self control, just gave in and went on a destructive bender. The mindset is not, "adapt, learn, improve" it is "come to meetings or fall into the pit of despair and doom."

I wanted to move on in my life, I want'ed to be normal, I wanted to be happy.

The last thing I want to do now is sit in a room and think solely about alcohol, about addiction, about that next drink. I have a life to live.

Also, the rate of success for people seeking to quit drinking is the same, regardless of what method they choose to use. Simply deciding to quit, going to rehab, or attending AA all have about a 5% success rate.

You have to make up your mind to do it!

View Quote

Damn proud that you're one of the 5%.
Link Posted: 3/22/2015 1:06:04 AM EDT
[#34]
Quoted:

View All Quotes
Quoted:
Quoted:
Quoted:

so, what you are saying is that it is 100% successful, 5% of the time?
Link Posted: 3/22/2015 1:07:45 AM EDT
[#35]
I learned about it all in mandatory rehab...I was bad when I was younger from going to meetings, I have seen some people treat it like it's a religion. The one rehab I went to was a protege´ of Bills. All I can say is that he had brainwashed his self. I can understand it giving solace to those that neeed that sort of thing, but I did.not.like it.
Link Posted: 3/22/2015 1:08:32 AM EDT
[#36]
Quoted:

View All Quotes
Quoted:
Quoted:
Quoted:
Quoted:

I'm saying it works for people who try. I've seen it work for a lot of people. I've seen it not work for a lot of people.

That's how pretty much all rehab is. It works for the people who want it to work and put in the effort.

You want to find something to complain about, complain about NA.
Link Posted: 3/22/2015 1:09:59 AM EDT
[#37]
Quoted:
View Quote

That's a bunch of hatred you're harboring there.
Link Posted: 3/22/2015 1:10:10 AM EDT
[#38]
Quoted:
View Quote

Well said. It is a bunch of bullshit.

Take control of your life...  or don't and make lame excuses... Only one of those two options is going to get you anywhere.

On that note, I need a refill!
Link Posted: 3/22/2015 1:12:35 AM EDT
[#39]
It seems AA has it right in so far as it acknowledges that the problem is not merely moral/spritual but is also a that it has a biiological component (its a disease), but it then fails to treat it as a medical issue, offering only a one size fits all moral/spiritual solution.

That and the whole way it insiste that everyone wear the lable of alchaholic for hte rest of their life regardless of hwere they may be on a spectrum.
Link Posted: 3/22/2015 1:15:54 AM EDT
[#40]

Quoted:
View All Quotes
Quoted:

Quoted:

Really?  I thought that admitting one is powerless over their "disease" was one of the steps.
Link Posted: 3/22/2015 1:16:14 AM EDT
[#41]
hallucinogens can treat PTSD and addiction. Sadly, research was sorta curb stomped when the .gov outlawed everything.
It's recently being studied again.

http://www.voanews.com/content/scientists-explore-hallucinogen-treatments-for-ptsd-sex-abuse-victims-142648416/181034.html
Link Posted: 3/22/2015 1:16:16 AM EDT
[#42]
It's not a fucking disease. That's just what weak people tell themselves so they don't feel like such pieces of shit.

Link Posted: 3/22/2015 1:16:34 AM EDT
[#43]
Sorry, alcoholism can't be a disease if the cure is going to meetings in order to have a spiritual awakening.  Imagine if we gave someone some treatment for cancer and when it failed we told them it was because they just didn't want it bad enough.

Link Posted: 3/22/2015 1:18:10 AM EDT
[#44]

Quoted:

Sorry, alcoholism can't be a disease if the cure is going to meetings in order to have a spiritual awakening.  Imagine if we gave someone some treatment for cancer and when it failed we told them it was because they just didn't want it bad enough.

View Quote

Exactly.
Link Posted: 3/22/2015 1:18:34 AM EDT
[#45]
Quoted:

View Quote

"Disease" has more definitions than what you're implying. It is used in our culture in a variety of ways and has been for many generations.
Link Posted: 3/22/2015 1:19:24 AM EDT
[#46]

Rational Recovery

Ever wonder why alcoholics and problem drinkers drink so much? It’s because alcohol produces in them a pleasure greater than all others — an unspoken pleasure far greater than the normal survival drives of sex, eating, family life, the desire to succeed in life, and physical safety. The resulting drive to repeat that pleasure is proportionately stronger than normal survival drives. Alcohol is a synthetic, man-made substance, among a group of synthetic drugs that produce pleasure greater than evolution has prepared us to manage, a disorienting pleasure that causes one's moral compass to point south toward death rather than toward true north and life.
View Quote
Link Posted: 3/22/2015 1:19:28 AM EDT
[#47]
Quoted:
think I will have a beer
View Quote

Have three or four. Rehab is for quitters anyway!
Link Posted: 3/22/2015 1:19:38 AM EDT
[#48]
Quoted:
It's not a fucking disease. That's just what weak people tell themselves so they don't feel like such pieces of shit.

View Quote

You don't think mental illness exists?  Have you heard about liberals?  

Link Posted: 3/22/2015 1:21:37 AM EDT
[#49]
Alcoholism is as much a disease as being an asshole.  

AA works.  We can debate the underpinnings of it, but it works.  

Link Posted: 3/22/2015 1:22:31 AM EDT
[#50]
Quoted:

"Disease" has more definitions than what you're implying. It is used in our culture in a variety of ways and has been for many generations.
View All Quotes
Quoted:
Quoted:

I don't think "you didn't believe in God hard enough" is a disease, sorry.  I do think alcoholism is a disease, I don't think it can be treated with 'willpower' or religion any more than any other disease.  I think that's maybe one notch above exorcisms for schizophrenia.  
Arrow Left Previous Page
Page / 6
Close Join Our Mail List to Stay Up To Date! Win a FREE Membership!

Sign up for the ARFCOM weekly newsletter and be entered to win a free ARFCOM membership. One new winner* is announced every week!

You will receive an email every Friday morning featuring the latest chatter from the hottest topics, breaking news surrounding legislation, as well as exclusive deals only available to ARFCOM email subscribers.

By signing up you agree to our User Agreement. *Must have a registered ARFCOM account to win.
Top Top