Confirm Action

Are you sure you wish to do this?

Confirm Cancel
BCM
User Panel

Arrow Left Previous Page
Page / 4
Posted: 3/15/2015 1:14:29 PM EDT
Getting my 1st bike after 15 yrs of not riding. But want to discuss the brain bowl.  Looking at a Bell,  Rouge
Had the option to remove the face guard thing. Thoughts...gimmick? What is "in" now...what works?

Link Posted: 3/15/2015 1:15:41 PM EDT
[#1]
Link Posted: 3/15/2015 1:17:16 PM EDT
[#2]
Would you put on that helmet and dive face first in to concrete curb at a full sprint? That's 3-5 mph, now how about at 50 mph?
Link Posted: 3/15/2015 1:18:03 PM EDT
[#3]
OP, if you're worried about what's 'In' now, then just give up asking serious motorcyclists questions about quasi-helmets.

The fashion police are calling - they hope you bought a Harley and some black leather.

I opened this thread up believing that my time spent working with huge amounts of head shapes and helmet choices would help, but then the 'In' thing and the picture of that helmet slapped me back to reality.

Getting back into motorcycling after a 15 year hiatus - probably doesn't have one refresher class scheduled... those statistics for all the dead guys who did the very same thing; they aren't fake.
Link Posted: 3/15/2015 1:20:52 PM EDT
[#4]

That's awesome! Will you be riding one of these?

Link Posted: 3/15/2015 1:21:42 PM EDT
[#5]
I've always used been a full face Bell fan,street & dirt.

thats cool looking but I wonder how much the face piece would help in a get off?
my dad always told me if you have a $10 head get a $10 helmet   never cheap out on your helmet
Link Posted: 3/15/2015 1:23:07 PM EDT
[#6]
Discussion ForumsJump to Quoted PostQuote History
Quoted:
OP, if you're worried about what's 'In' now, then just give up asking serious motorcyclists questions about quasi-helmets.

The fashion police are calling - they hope you bought a Harley and some black leather.
View Quote

Just asking a simple question, don't know if that offers face protection. The "whats in" question is asking, what is good these days.
as I said, I used to ride many yrs ago, wore a full face. I want the option of open face when riding. geezzzzzz    
Link Posted: 3/15/2015 1:23:55 PM EDT
[#7]
I really like my new Shoei RF 1200, but if you want to fit in with the Harley crowd by wearing something that won't protect anything...that bell would look good.
Link Posted: 3/15/2015 1:25:08 PM EDT
[#8]
I use a shoei on my sport bikes and one of those not DOT pieces of shit on my Harley. Good luck!
Link Posted: 3/15/2015 1:27:01 PM EDT
[#9]
Quoted:
Getting my 1st bike after 15 yrs of not riding. But want to discuss the brain bowl.  Looking at a Bell,  Rouge
Had the option to remove the face guard thing. Thoughts...gimmick? What is "in" now...what works?

http://www.bellhelmets.com/media/360/7000810/30.jpg
View Quote

are you trying to look like Bane or something
Link Posted: 3/15/2015 1:28:27 PM EDT
[#10]
Get a full-face model.

Every wreck I had, and there were lots, - racing-

I would beat up on the chin bar.

Wear it always.

Use it once.

Buy a good one that fits.

Or buy a Harley, Harley riders are too tough for teh helmetz.
Link Posted: 3/15/2015 1:28:31 PM EDT
[#11]
Yes, I am getting a Harley. Good god you guys are brutal this afternoon. Why the Hate?  I will probably get a full face for rain days or colder tempts in fall.
Will go open face for rides around the GA Mountains, and any parts that are slow speed cruising. I want more protection that what the typical salad bowl offers
Link Posted: 3/15/2015 1:30:15 PM EDT
[#12]
What we need is an instantly inflatable suit that puffs you up like the Michelin Man right before an accident so you can bounce over it like the Mars Rover.
Link Posted: 3/15/2015 1:30:56 PM EDT
[#13]

It's definitely got that Nazi flair to it. Stuff like that is popular with certain riders.

Link Posted: 3/15/2015 1:31:20 PM EDT
[#14]
Should I go this route?

Link Posted: 3/15/2015 1:31:33 PM EDT
[#15]
Quoted:

What we need is an instantly inflatable suit that puffs you up like the Michelin Man right before an accident so you can bounce over it like the Mars Rover.
View Quote

Someone actually invented one of those recently.

Link Posted: 3/15/2015 1:31:37 PM EDT
[#16]
I love my Simpson Outlaw Bandit
Link Posted: 3/15/2015 1:33:47 PM EDT
[#17]
Quoted:

Should I go this route?

View Quote

If you want to look mean, do it right.

Link Posted: 3/15/2015 1:34:13 PM EDT
[#18]
Quoted:
View Quote

They exist

Link Posted: 3/15/2015 1:34:22 PM EDT
[#19]
Quoted:
View Quote

Link Posted: 3/15/2015 1:36:48 PM EDT
[#20]

Or you could wear something a bit more stylish.

A round of golf, perhaps?

Link Posted: 3/15/2015 1:48:27 PM EDT
[#21]

Quoted:

Yes, I am getting a Harley. Good god you guys are brutal this afternoon. Why the Hate?  I will probably get a full face for rain days or colder tempts in fall.

Will go open face for rides around the GA Mountains, and any parts that are slow speed cruising. I want more protection that what the typical salad bowl offers

View Quote
So you are not planning on crashing  in the mountains,

or at slow speeds.

Guess what, Harleys only know 'slow speed'.

Try this,

Get dressed up in your riding gear, whatever you are gonna wear.

Have your buddy drive you down the street in your pickup,

- all Harley owners have a pickup, right?

Get up to 50 mph. Or, if going slow speed cruising, 30 mph.

- Now jump out. See what gets beat up.

If you still have something to think with,or eat with, when this exercise is done,

You probably had a good helmet.

Now go buy another, 'cause that one is used up.

Or, just put your Harley in the back of said pickup, park it outside the local bar.

You're then GTG. Looking good, hanging out, chillin' with the dudes.

Link Posted: 3/15/2015 1:48:49 PM EDT
[#22]
Do you want to wear it as a fashion accessory or for protection?
They call them open face helmets because they let the pavement open your face.
Full face and don't cheap out on it.
Link Posted: 3/15/2015 2:04:19 PM EDT
[#23]
Quoted:
Do you want to wear it as a fashion accessory or for protection?
They call them open face helmets because they let the pavement open your face.
Full face and don't cheap out on it.
View Quote

^^ This.  I am 100% full face after seeing a guy with a full face biff it and his chin hit the asphalt first walk away fine. Plus no bees, wasps, pebbles, beetles, rubber, etc. in your face at highway speeds.
Link Posted: 3/15/2015 2:06:33 PM EDT
[#24]
I wear a helmet.
I don't care what anybody else does.

I don't believe the government should have a fucking say in the matter.
Link Posted: 3/15/2015 2:10:29 PM EDT
[#25]
Quoted:
I wear a helmet.

View Quote

Do you go without seatbelts and drive drunk too?
Link Posted: 3/15/2015 2:10:30 PM EDT
[#26]
As someone who has landed,basically, face first at 80mph my vote will always be full face.
Link Posted: 3/15/2015 2:13:23 PM EDT
[#27]
Snell rated, full face, worn all the time.

An Aria saved my life in a 60mph into stopped car accident.

I wear an Aria or an HJC today, depending on how hot it is outside. The HJC is better in the heat, the Arai in the cold.
Link Posted: 3/15/2015 2:17:08 PM EDT
[#28]
Full face. The best quality that you can afford, if you can't afford good gear, wait until you can before riding. If you hit the pavement face first, you'll wish you had a full face helmet, and it DOES happen. Don't think it can't happen to you, because it will when soccer mom rolls through the intersection in her CRV because her 7 fuck trophies were crying in the back seat.
Don't be a squid
Link Posted: 3/15/2015 2:19:13 PM EDT
[#29]
Full face Arai for comfort, lightweight, and quiet..
Saved me when I was broadsided.
After the car hit me I went over the handlebars hitting my head on a mailbox mounted on a
4x4 in concrete. Broke it off at the base.
One time a large bolt fell off a truck on the freeway: It took one bounce and hit me right in the middle
of my face shield. The force actually snapped my head back.
A rock was kicked up on the freeway and hit me in the face shield.
Link Posted: 3/15/2015 2:19:52 PM EDT
[#30]
Quoted:

View Quote View All Quotes
View All Quotes
Quoted:
Quoted:
I wear a helmet.

If he chooses to wear a helmet, regardless of what the .gov says, I.m pretty sure he's smart enough to want to wear seatbelts without having to be told. You missed the point I think.

To OP. Check out RevZilla.com, plenty of helmets with in depth, semi-unbiased reviews.
Link Posted: 3/15/2015 2:23:38 PM EDT
[#31]
I've been hit in the visor by some pretty large, nasty objects (living and non), sure made me glad I had a full coverage helmet on... Nolan n104 for me.
Link Posted: 3/15/2015 2:30:03 PM EDT
[#32]
Quoted:
Would you put on that helmet and dive face first in to concrete curb at a full sprint? That's 3-5 mph, now how about at 50 mph?
View Quote

this.
and of course this:
Link Posted: 3/15/2015 2:32:17 PM EDT
[#33]
As a high school student my transportation was a motorcycle. After seeing a friend slide face first on a dirt track I wanted a better helmet.

It cost me more than a months pay at my part time job.

This was in 1970 and the helmet was the Bell, 120 which was the first full face helmet offered for retail sale.

It cost $175.00, which was a "chunk of change" back then!

That would be $1,067.75 in 2014 purchase value.

I currently own a Schuberth C3 helmet which is a $800.00 helmet.  

If you have a $10.00 head... buy a $10.00 helmet!

Link Posted: 3/15/2015 2:33:15 PM EDT
[#34]
flip front full face is what you seek.

Link Posted: 3/15/2015 2:37:36 PM EDT
[#35]
Ya'll got helmet laws in GA ? That sucks !!! Don't have helmet laws in FL.
Link Posted: 3/15/2015 2:40:57 PM EDT
[#36]
Quoted:
An Aria saved my life in a 60mph into stopped car accident.
View Quote

Which opera?
Link Posted: 3/15/2015 2:42:19 PM EDT
[#37]
Quoted:
flip front full face is what you seek.

View Quote

This.
Link Posted: 3/15/2015 2:43:20 PM EDT
[#38]
Link Posted: 3/15/2015 2:48:07 PM EDT
[#39]
Quoted:
Ya'll got helmet laws in GA ? That sucks !!! Don't have helmet laws in FL.
View Quote

While I don't think it should be a law, only idiots ride without a helmet.
Link Posted: 3/15/2015 2:52:16 PM EDT
[#40]
As for "just cruising in the north Georgia mountains", I have this to offer.

In 2004 I was headed south on 60 from Suches to Dahlonega,if you're familiar with the road it was the bend at the turn off where folks rappel down the cliff. I believe he was distracted watching them but regardless of the cause this guy blew the corner and went hard on the brakes straight into the Armco directly in front of us. He wasn't going very fast to begin with, so I doubt he hit it much faster than I would say 25 tops. However, that was enough to split his cheapo novelty "helmet" and while there was almost no damage to the bike and not even an actual scratch on him he managed to do himself a significant head injury at even that low of a speed.It took over half an hour for the ambulance to get there and it was horrible being able to do absolutely nothing for him.

You can certainly wear whatever you'd like, it's your head, but you would never catch me on a motorcycle wearing anything other than a high-quality full faced helmet. I know they're not cool to wear on Harleys but well that's your call, I'll continue to be uncool and not need coloring books for Christmas.

Posted Via AR15.Com Mobile
Link Posted: 3/15/2015 2:59:06 PM EDT
[#41]
" />

Simpson Street Warrior. Several years old, but bought for the Simpson quality. And honestly ...
it would match almost any color scheme.  I was still deciding what my next bike would be at the time.
I feel it is comfortable and very visible.
OTOH ... Notice how the face shield is not "set in" to the surface of the helmet and how the bottom edge of the helmet is not curved at all.
This, unfortunately, makes for a relatively noisy ride. I wear foam earplugs for all but the shortest rides to the corner store.
My recommendation would be to try, at speed, a number of lids before you make the investment.
Also ... "Looks" matter, I mean lets be honest, but looks should be WAY down your list of considerations.
BTW ... "Google" the HURT REPORT for the best (if somewhat dated) MC accidents study. You're welcome.

Stay safe
Link Posted: 3/15/2015 3:09:23 PM EDT
[#42]

Link Posted: 3/15/2015 3:13:36 PM EDT
[#43]

Quoted:

http://www.bellhelmets.com/media/360/7000810/30.jpg
View Quote

That's real retarded, sir...unless you want to look like the bad cop from Road Warrior.

If you're going to eat a chin bar, make sure it's a structurally sound chin bar...and a real one allows for more air movement behind it.

You stand more chance hitting that part of your helmet than any other, btw.

Go try a bunch on. It's never been a better time to get a great helmet for not that much $$...lots of companies have really made some great lids.
Link Posted: 3/15/2015 3:16:45 PM EDT
[#44]

Quoted:

View Quote

Full face isn't for rain. It's to keep your chin from being ground off your fucking skull and eating through a tube the rest of your life while little kids point at you in horror.

You can lose your face on a 20mph get off at parade speeds.

My chin bar got ground to fuck on a leisurely ride when two dogs came squirting in between parked cars and sent me super-manning. You don't get to pick when that shit happens.

Don't be a typical cruiser rider.

Link Posted: 3/15/2015 3:22:18 PM EDT
[#45]
I wear an HJC modular all the time, wore out my Shoei modular, Time to start looking for a new one as this one is about 5 yo . I am a atgatt rider though. been riding for 50+ years now and have still got all of my parts.
Link Posted: 3/15/2015 3:26:35 PM EDT
[#46]
Much like people that carry a J-Frame rather than something like a G19, an open face or half helmet offers significantly less protection in exchange for some comfort, convenience and I guess "style".

Luckily for you though a great helmet can be had for a lot less than a great defensive handgun.

I like the Shoei brand.
Link Posted: 3/15/2015 3:32:45 PM EDT
[#47]
Please please please get a full face. I crashed my bike on Monday. 35 mph on a curve, hit some mulch. Low sided and the bike went into the ditch, I went  sliding down the road. I had a ballistic vest on, full face, and gloves. It saved my hide. All I have is a sprained wrist. I recommend a vest like I have as well.

Before:

After:

Link Posted: 3/15/2015 3:44:20 PM EDT
[#48]
I'm currently using a Shoei GT Air. So far it has been the most comfortable helmet  for me. They call it "air" for a reason. I've never had a helmet with this good of air movement. It is reasonably light and and the noise level is acceptable. In cooler conditions the pinlock and chin curtains do a very nice job.
Link Posted: 3/15/2015 3:47:46 PM EDT
[#49]
full face, half helmets are little more the peace of mind. unless of course you can guarantee that when you crash you'll land on the upper half of your head. the other point that often gets overlooked when it comes to helmets is that they're not just impact protection they're also skid protection. I don't know about you but I kind of like having my face stay where it is. personally I have a x-speed full face that I like a lot.
Link Posted: 3/15/2015 3:53:33 PM EDT
[#50]
What helmet? FL FTW

Arrow Left Previous Page
Page / 4
Top Top