Are you sure you wish to do this?

Confirm Cancel
BCM
User Panel

Site Notices
Arrow Left Previous Page
Page / 15
Posted: 3/7/2015 9:20:57 AM EDT
Will post the whole story and pics later, in Hardeeville S.C.

On the way to the vet now.

Update 1: Dogs at the vet. I am having all the basic stuff taken care of, worming, vaccinations, antibiotics, and exam/flea meds.  The vet said that she would have to consult with an orthopedic surgeon for the little ones leg, but that it might be able to be saved.  She said that they are likely going to have to rebreak and pin it, but saving that it will need to be amputated.    They are going to give us a call later when they are ready for pickup. Pic on the way to the vet and at the vet:

The big one puked in the car on the way.....

Video of how bad the little ones leg is:

Update 2: OK now that I am home from the vet, trying to figure out how to upload a video I took of them on youtube HORIZONTALLY, so I don't get any heat about it, I will tell you guys how this all happened.  We recently moved out into the middle of nowhere Hardeeville S.C. about 20 min from Savannah, 20 min from Bluffton.  The vet later told us that our area is notorious for dog dumping.  Anyway, my parents were in for the previous week visiting and seeing the new house, but they wanted to head home today (12 hour drive home) to be ready for Monday.  On their way down our street at about 7AM they spotted these 2 guys walking, one kind of hobbling/trying to walk and being helped along by the bigger one.  Once they called us about it we got in our car and went to see if we could find them.  We ended up finding them in a trench by the side of the road.  They were VERY nervous, and I think wanted to run but the little one couldn't so the big one basically low crawled around us in a circle with his tail and ears down whimpering.  The injured one tried to move away but couldn't so we went up to him and gave him some treats and eventually the big one came over to get some too.  They were very scared, but quickly became our friends and trusted us enough to let us pick them up and put them in the car.  We took them to our house and put them in our outdoor dog run which is huge, for 2 hours until the vet opened, we gave them food and water - they basically attacked the food like wild animals and ate 2 cups in about 10 seconds.  We were on the way to the vet before it opened and arrived shortly after. The vet told us that the little ones leg needs major surgery, and they are both very bloated from worms and underfed.  They both have wounds on their faces as well from god knows what.  We left them at the vet to get vaccinations, scanning for RFID was negative, and to evaluate for other problems.  We have been in contact with the surgeons representative and will let you guys know if it is going to be possible to save his leg.

TLDR: Parents left after a weeks visit, called to say they saw 2 pups one badly injured, we picked them up and are trying to rehab them them the best we can.  

Update 3:  Waiting on approval for fundraiser.

Update 4: Ok Update time.

Went after work to pick them up at the vet.  Had a long talk with my vet about different surgeons in the area and here is what has been established.  He said wherever you go nothing will be certain until after the consult.  He said there are a few possibilities.  1) That there is neurological damage to the leg and that the extensor muscles are paralyzed which is why the paw is bent.  He stated that the tendons on that side of the dogs leg are very tight, and it wont let the pay straiten.  As far as bone fracture, we wont know until there is an x-ray.  The surgical options will be found out as soon as we have a consult with the first surgeon we are looking at.  He is in Savannah and the best in the area according to my vet, who said that after he said he really dislikes the guy as a person (lol).  So on the way home from the vet they BOTH peed in my FJ!  Then they laid in it all the way home.  THEN as soon as I got them in the run they both pooped twice, stepped in it and starting jumping on me in my work clothes.....  Eventually I was able to wrangle them into a cage in the garage until help arrived (wife).  At this point we began the integration process after dinner and watering.  I let them each individually meet my original dog Kimber (the GSD in the pic).  They were both individually very aggressive towards her, growling snapping the whole thing.  After a few moment though when she just ignored them, they calmed down (she is amazing).  We took them on small walks together individually.  Then we did the same thing as the group.  We are making sure that they are possessive of nothing, and eventually I want them to get out of their clique and realize they are in a bigger family now, but it will take time.  Currently they are in my garage in a cage so that we can begin the crate training process.  Eventually I will put them in 2 different crates and then further and further apart.  

TLDR: They peed and pooped on me, Vet says leg may be paralyzed or not, but either way the tendon is shortened and wont allow him to straiten the paw.  Needs a lot of rehab and surgery.  Began integrating with original dog.

Update 5: Consult is scheduled for Friday at 11:30 AM in Savannah. They said if we are all in agreement about the treatment that they will do the surgery right after the consult. They also said that he would be there until Monday for monitoring and recovery. Today we brought the 2 in the house for crate training. It has been my experience that this goes quickly for smart dogs. It amuses me greatly that you guys are posting the update pics before me .

Update6:  I arrived to the surgeons office at about 11:15.  We met with the surgeon shortly after, conducted a number of tests including an analysis of proprioception, sensation, and muscle strength in the limb.  X-rays were taken and a few other diagnostic tests.  It was established that there were no broken bones in the leg at all.  There was however tremendous nerve damage to the bracial plexus at some point from some sort of trauma.  It had happened long enough ago that the muscles supplied by the injured nerves were completely atrophied, and the opposing muscles as caused the leg to contract in the way you see in the pictures.  It was determined through sensation tests that he had no feeling below the elbow, and only limited feeling in the upper quarter, which is how he was able to walk on it when the skin was worn to the bone with no problems.  The options were to 1) fuse the limb to create a rigid leg to be used like a cane or 2) to amputate it.  The problem with the fusion was that since there is no sensation he could break it, cut it, scratch it, get it caught in stuff etc. with no warning via pain.  The surgeon said that there was no chance of sensation returning, since it has been like this long enough to allow for atrophy and conctracture. The surgeon said he has seen this happen to dogs where they actually chew their own leg off because it is numb.  The alternative was to give him a shot at a normal puppy life by amputation.  He said that puppies adapt incredibly well to this treatment, and in no time he would be up and running again.  He said (and this is when our mind was made) that if it was his dog, he would amputate the limb in a second.

It upsets me to think about him having this done, but I think that if we tried to have the leg saved, it would be sacrificing his quality of life to try to avoid a bit of sadness on our part.  I believe that this was the best decision for him, but I wish it could have been different.

I want to tank you all sincerely for the help especially tessa who paid for the entire cost of the surgery!  As soon as we pick him up tomorrow I will upload some pictures of him healing.  You are all his caregivers now and I will make sure that he has the best life that he can in your honor.  Even though we have only had them for less than a week it is a bit lonelier without the little guy here for the night.  Update in the morning!  

Update7: So Nugget is home.  He is doing well, trying to play.  The vet said he is pretty anemic, but that she doesn't know the cause so we are just going to make sure that he gets plenty of rest, food, and love, and see if he gets better.  They removed some lymph nodes from his dog arm pit, and are sending them for biopsy.  He seems in great spirits, just need a bunch of rest now and then we will slowly start getting him back to being a normal puppy.  I figure by the time his hair grows back, he will be 100%.

Someone tell me how to do the "graphic image" if this is too graphic for GD

Last update:  I figure I should put the last videos up here for people who missed it.  In this case WE DID IT!!! They have been saved, and will have a wonderful happy life.  We are trying to train them very well at this point, and for 2 people with full time jobs it is very difficult, but we are doing our best. This is what they do ALL DAY LONG

Link Posted: 3/7/2015 9:26:21 AM EDT
[#1]
Tagged for the rest of the story.

Thank you for helping the poor things.
Link Posted: 3/7/2015 9:30:41 AM EDT
[#2]
good man
Link Posted: 3/7/2015 9:47:05 AM EDT
[#3]
Well vet opens at 9 so here are some pics:

Link Posted: 3/7/2015 9:49:45 AM EDT
[#4]
Any phone numbers on them?
Link Posted: 3/7/2015 9:50:50 AM EDT
[#5]
no just collars.
Link Posted: 3/7/2015 9:52:09 AM EDT
[#6]
Discussion ForumsJump to Quoted PostQuote History
Quoted:
no just collars.
View Quote

They chose you. Congrats on the new dags.
Link Posted: 3/7/2015 9:53:21 AM EDT
[#7]
aww, if you cant keep them or find their owner, make sure they stay together.
Link Posted: 3/7/2015 9:54:05 AM EDT
[#8]
Damn... Good job OP. Those little guys need some love.
Link Posted: 3/7/2015 9:55:48 AM EDT
[#9]
Aww poor little buddies! I'm glad you found em!
Link Posted: 3/7/2015 9:56:31 AM EDT
[#10]
This could be another great GD story.
Link Posted: 3/7/2015 10:01:03 AM EDT
[#11]
I found Molly that way.

One day working as a phone tech, I found a little red bone hound with a broken back leg. I'm almost certain some piece of shit had kicked her for shitting in the house. I took her to the vet and $500 and a couple weeks later I'd found one of the best friends of my life, and a companion to Jake (also a stray I picked up).

We were thick as thieves for 12 years..................................... Life is short, even shorter for dogs.

A stray that picks you is the best friend to have. If you have ever had the opportunity to witness one of them stand their ground in defense of you, you will know what I mean.
Link Posted: 3/7/2015 10:01:34 AM EDT
[#12]
Good job on helping those lil fellas Op... in for the rest of the story
Link Posted: 3/7/2015 10:02:41 AM EDT
[#13]
Aw, those are beautiful yellow labs! You should keep them both of you can. Great job.
Link Posted: 3/7/2015 10:06:10 AM EDT
[#14]
Good on you OP! We've got six rescues at the moment, Nothing beats a rescue dog.

Tag for follow up.
Link Posted: 3/7/2015 10:06:24 AM EDT
[#15]
In 2012 we had some kittens living in the backyard of the house we were renting.  One of them came around one day missing a foot, with bone sticking out of the wound.
Very slightly graphic...

Click To View SpoilerWe trapped him and took him to the vet.  The doctor said that he probably had a 25% chance of making it in the wild with that injury; he had lost a lot of blood and had a lot of infection from it.  He was a mess.  Here's my wife visiting to check up on him during the 2 weeks he spent at the vet:

We named him Spike, and he came to live with us.  Really, my wife didn't want to let him go after she had rescued him.

Now he's just another lazy cat around our house.  

OP, this may be the start of a couple of great new pets for you.  Thanks for rescuing them, and good luck!

Link Posted: 3/7/2015 10:07:30 AM EDT
[#16]
Dogs are responsibility, they are not toys. People with beautiful furniture and carpets seeing them chewed up, not understanding puppies are like babies, end up turning them loose. Probably Christmas presents and now regret it. A shame, a dog can be your best friend. You will never feel lonlieness.
Link Posted: 3/7/2015 10:44:30 AM EDT
[#17]
Poor babies.

Good on OP for helping them.
Link Posted: 3/7/2015 10:51:07 AM EDT
[#18]
In for $25 toward vet bill. Good on you mate. If that is acceptable you will have to im me since I dont have a membership
Link Posted: 3/7/2015 10:53:22 AM EDT
[#19]
Poor pups... I hope the injured one's leg can be saved. Good job helping them!
Link Posted: 3/7/2015 10:53:31 AM EDT
[#20]
Good on you OP.
Link Posted: 3/7/2015 10:56:34 AM EDT
[#21]
Quoted:
In 2012 we had some kittens living in the backyard of the house we were renting.  One of them came around one day missing a foot, with bone sticking out of the wound.

Very slightly graphic...

Click To View SpoilerWe trapped him and took him to the vet.  The doctor said that he probably had a 25% chance of making it in the wild with that injury; he had lost a lot of blood and had a lot of infection from it.  He was a mess.  Here's my wife visiting to check up on him during the 2 weeks he spent at the vet:

http://i1189.photobucket.com/albums/z429/felromarfcom/Kitties/IMG_20130115_122333_zps61f755e4.jpg

We named him Spike, and he came to live with us.  Really, my wife didn't want to let him go after she had rescued him.

http://i1189.photobucket.com/albums/z429/felromarfcom/Kitties/2013_03_04_Spike_03_zps8787d181.jpg

http://i1189.photobucket.com/albums/z429/felromarfcom/Kitties/_DSC6475_zpsf1b9431b.jpg

OP, this may be the start of a couple of great new pets for you.  Thanks for rescuing them, and good luck!  
View Quote

I think you spoilered the wrong pic.
Link Posted: 3/7/2015 10:57:53 AM EDT
[#22]
Quoted:
Will post the whole story and pics later, in Hardeeville S.C.

On the way to the vet now.
View Quote

X20

Thanks OP

edit:

felrom as well! Nice work
Link Posted: 3/7/2015 11:10:18 AM EDT
[#23]
Good of you to help them out. Nice looking pups.
Link Posted: 3/7/2015 11:12:45 AM EDT
[#24]
Quoted:
Dogs are responsibility, they are not toys. People with beautiful furniture and carpets seeing them chewed up, not understanding puppies are like babies, end up turning them loose. Probably Christmas presents and now regret it. A shame, a dog can be your best friend. You will never feel lonlieness.
View Quote

America is now more than ever a throw away society. As soon as it becomes a slight inconvenience it goes to the rubbage pile and forgotten. Cars, appliances, electronics, spouses, unborn babies,...pets. Good on the OP for saving those pups and giving them the loving home they should have been blessed with in the first place.
Link Posted: 3/7/2015 11:15:09 AM EDT
[#25]
Quoted:

View Quote View All Quotes
View All Quotes
Quoted:
Quoted:

Very slightly graphic...

http://i1189.photobucket.com/albums/z429/felromarfcom/Kitties/IMG_20130115_122333_zps61f755e4.jpg

http://i1189.photobucket.com/albums/z429/felromarfcom/Kitties/2013_03_04_Spike_03_zps8787d181.jpg

http://i1189.photobucket.com/albums/z429/felromarfcom/Kitties/_DSC6475_zpsf1b9431b.jpg

This. Lol.
Link Posted: 3/7/2015 11:16:14 AM EDT
[#26]
OP - Thank you for doing the right thing, if we get to a point where donations are accepted for those babies please post here.

Thank you again for helping.
Link Posted: 3/7/2015 11:16:35 AM EDT
[#27]
You're the coolest, OP! They already love you!
Link Posted: 3/7/2015 11:17:18 AM EDT
[#28]
They look like Dingos.

Probably just ate a baby.
Link Posted: 3/7/2015 11:18:59 AM EDT
[#29]
Good of you to take it on.

We found a young shepherd mix in our yard with an injured leg and took it to the vet.   Couldn't keep WODEN as the cats were leaving if he stayed.
Link Posted: 3/7/2015 11:26:09 AM EDT
[#30]
You may not be able to keep them.  If so, google rescue organizations that would be able to foster and place them into good homes.

PS, don't let cost have you euthanize them.   Whether GoFundMe or just a normal GD appeal, people are very generous in these cases.
Link Posted: 3/7/2015 11:30:29 AM EDT
[#31]
Good looking pups. Hope the leg is going g to be ok
Link Posted: 3/7/2015 11:38:13 AM EDT
[#32]
Quoted:

America is now more than ever a throw away society. As soon as it becomes a slight inconvenience it goes to the rubbage pile and forgotten. Cars, appliances, electronics, spouses, unborn babies,...pets. Good on the OP for saving those pups and giving them the loving home they should have been blessed with in the first place.
View Quote View All Quotes
View All Quotes
Quoted:
Quoted:

Animals have always been throw away. They reproduce fast enough there's not enough incentive to really take care of them.

It's one of the reasons I got a fancy little dog with resale value. If anything happens to me, or we get separated, someone is more likely to want him. Even if it's just to sell him.
Link Posted: 3/7/2015 11:41:39 AM EDT
[#33]
Updated with more pics.  Also, we are probably going to have to start a gofundme for that surgery, vet didn't give an estimate because shes not the surgeon that can do it, but its probably going to be expensive.
Link Posted: 3/7/2015 11:42:21 AM EDT
[#34]
The rebreak and pin the leg sounds terrible but better than losing a leg.  Please consider the donation option at the suitable time so they get the best care and outcome possible.

See post above mine.  Excellent.  Get plenty of good pictures.  Have some at their eye level.
Link Posted: 3/7/2015 11:44:16 AM EDT
[#35]
Did the vet check for microchips?
Link Posted: 3/7/2015 11:45:34 AM EDT
[#36]
Quoted:
The rebreak and pin the leg sounds terrible but better than losing a leg.  Please consider the donation option at the suitable time so they get the best care and outcome possible.

See post above mine.  Excellent.  Get plenty of good pictures.  Have some at their eye level.
View Quote

I took a video before we left, trying to upload it from a site other than youtube.
Link Posted: 3/7/2015 11:47:11 AM EDT
[#37]
Quoted:
Did the vet check for microchips?
View Quote

None, their collars were also really tight.  The vet said that my area is nororious for dog dumping grounds, and she thinks that there it no reason to even try to look for the owner.  She said that that leg has been broken for weeks if not months and due to their poor health, she thinks that they have been on their own for a long time.

Also, the big one is FIERCLY protective of the little injured one, so they are going to have to stay together.
Link Posted: 3/7/2015 11:47:48 AM EDT
[#38]
Stray Dogs are the Best Dogs...

Link Posted: 3/7/2015 11:53:26 AM EDT
[#39]
Good job, OP.  They'll be companions of yours for life now.  

I think people that mistreat, abuse, or neglect animals should receive the death penalty.  Yes, the death penalty.  Harsh?  Maybe, but they're such shit bag low lifes that the world would be a better place without them mixing in with the rest of us.
Link Posted: 3/7/2015 11:56:57 AM EDT
[#40]
OP you are awesome.   Are you going to be able to keep them?
Link Posted: 3/7/2015 11:57:48 AM EDT
[#41]
Quoted:
Updated with more pics.  Also, we are probably going to have to start a gofundme for that surgery, vet didn't give an estimate because shes not the surgeon that can do it, but its probably going to be expensive.
View Quote

Nice job and thank you for what you're doing.  I'd have done the same. Please do start a gofundme and update the post when you have details or IM me. I'm in for $100.
Link Posted: 3/7/2015 11:58:34 AM EDT
[#42]
Quoted:
Good job, OP.  They'll be companions of yours for life now.  

I think people that mistreat, abuse, or neglect animals should receive the death penalty.  Yes, the death penalty.  Harsh?  Maybe, but they're such shit bag low lifes that the world would be a better place without them mixing in with the rest of us.
View Quote

Keeping them is the last option at the moment.  I want to see what it would take to get them healthy and then we may shelter them.  We may have to shelter them without the surgery depending on the cost, but at least they will be healthy otherwise.  I am working on ways to raise some money as we speak.  They are such sweet dogs, if we can't keep them someone would be lucky to have them.
Link Posted: 3/7/2015 11:59:55 AM EDT
[#43]

OMG, that leg! Poor baby.

OP, good on you for helping those poor pups. And tag for updates.
Link Posted: 3/7/2015 12:01:31 PM EDT
[#44]
I would love to take them but I can't.  But I will be more than happy to send some cash to help.  Perhaps contact the media.  They do that here and they get adopted quickly.
Link Posted: 3/7/2015 12:02:05 PM EDT
[#45]
I have a really good 13 second video on my phone that I want to post, but I can't get stupid youtube to do it right, is anyone good with this stuff?
Link Posted: 3/7/2015 12:04:06 PM EDT
[#46]
Here is a google search in nearby Savannah for rescue organizations.   I have no idea who would be good if you go that route

https://www.google.com/search?q=savannah+GA+lab+rescue&ie=utf-8&oe=utf-8
Link Posted: 3/7/2015 12:04:39 PM EDT
[#47]
Good looking pups.
Link Posted: 3/7/2015 12:05:08 PM EDT
[#48]
Quoted:
I have a really good 13 second video on my phone that I want to post, but I can't get stupid youtube to do it right, is anyone good with this stuff?
View Quote

Not sure if you have an android or Iphone. But for my android I got to the gallery click on the video and theres a share icon. after you click the icon there will be several options and youtube is one of them on my phone.
Link Posted: 3/7/2015 12:06:02 PM EDT
[#49]
Damn dusty in here. I'm  gonna check up on this thread throughout the day. Good job OP.
Link Posted: 3/7/2015 12:06:11 PM EDT
[#50]
Some good looking pups, OP.
Arrow Left Previous Page
Page / 15
Close Join Our Mail List to Stay Up To Date! Win a FREE Membership!

Sign up for the ARFCOM weekly newsletter and be entered to win a free ARFCOM membership. One new winner* is announced every week!

You will receive an email every Friday morning featuring the latest chatter from the hottest topics, breaking news surrounding legislation, as well as exclusive deals only available to ARFCOM email subscribers.

By signing up you agree to our User Agreement. *Must have a registered ARFCOM account to win.
Top Top