Confirm Action

Are you sure you wish to do this?

Confirm Cancel
BCM
User Panel

Arrow Left Previous Page
Page / 2
Posted: 3/4/2015 12:05:12 AM EDT
I don't have a .308 battle rifle.  I've got a bunch of 5.56 rifles and a few AKs (In 5.45 and 7.62) and am considering starting to save up for a 7.62 NATO rifle.

I've heard so many good things about the SCAR 17 on here and on YouTube video reviews.  It looks like they have come down in price too and can be bought for around $2700+/-.

What does the hive say?  Should I start saving up and buy one as soon as I am able?  Are they as good as their reputation and worth the money they cost?
Link Posted: 3/4/2015 12:08:40 AM EDT
[#1]
Nothing wrong with an AR10.
Link Posted: 3/4/2015 12:08:58 AM EDT
[#2]
Armalite DEF10.  Use your remaining money to buy mags and ammo.
Link Posted: 3/4/2015 12:09:22 AM EDT
[#3]
Isn't there some issue with them shaking optics to death?
Link Posted: 3/4/2015 12:10:16 AM EDT
[#4]
When you pull a thingy called a trigger it'll go bang.
Link Posted: 3/4/2015 12:14:01 AM EDT
[#5]
I hear that it's one of the lightest weigh and lightest recoiling 7.62 "battle rifles" on the market. Also read about them being hard on optics. Haven't had any experience with one.

I'm already into .308 Ar's so I don't want to add different, more expensive mags into the mix.

Link Posted: 3/4/2015 12:17:19 AM EDT
[#6]
Discussion ForumsJump to Quoted PostQuote History
Quoted:
View Quote

I remember hearing something about this too.  Is this just with cheap optics, or will it tear up an ACOG or ELCAN?

Link Posted: 3/4/2015 12:17:26 AM EDT
[#7]
Still wish there was a .30-06 AR on the market.
Link Posted: 3/4/2015 12:21:36 AM EDT
[#8]
Quoted:

I remember hearing something about this too.  Is this just with cheap optics, or will it tear up an ACOG or ELCAN?

View Quote View All Quotes
View All Quotes
Quoted:
Quoted:

I only have around 1k rounds through mine, but my ACOG has held up to it.
Link Posted: 3/4/2015 12:21:44 AM EDT
[#9]
I currently own three .308 "Battle Rifles"; an OBR, an SR25 ECC, and a Scar17. With that said, I absolutely love mine.
Link Posted: 3/4/2015 12:21:48 AM EDT
[#10]
They are really light, have a pretty good reliability record, fold, and come in cool colors.

That's about all I know.
Link Posted: 3/4/2015 12:23:51 AM EDT
[#11]
Very pleased with mine. I have a Aimpoint m4s on it.
Link Posted: 3/4/2015 12:25:12 AM EDT
[#12]
In before someone bitches about the SOCOM mandated reciprocating charging handle/forward assist. As if FNH forgot how to engineer a non reciprocating charging handle hur dur!

I really like mine. The greatest issue is the cost of the proprietary mags imo. No problems with damaged optics here (Aimpoint).
Link Posted: 3/4/2015 12:28:01 AM EDT
[#13]

Quoted:

View Quote

Found something better.

Link Posted: 3/4/2015 12:28:51 AM EDT
[#14]
Sold my AR platform 308 for one.  I only have 60 rounds through it.  Got the FDE.  Also got sucked in by the prior promotional package with free magazines that I'm still waiting for........
Link Posted: 3/4/2015 12:40:42 AM EDT
[#15]

Quoted:

View Quote

I've read they can eat cheap optics. Why does this rifle do that is their some crazy harmonics traveling through that gun? Does the buffer system work well in it?

Link Posted: 3/4/2015 12:58:07 AM EDT
[#16]
It's pretty operator
Link Posted: 3/4/2015 3:33:21 AM EDT
[#17]
Handles really nice, lightweight and controls are where you expect them to be. Muzzle break slams you with a concussion shock wave and the trigger sucks.
Link Posted: 3/4/2015 3:47:02 AM EDT
[#18]
Link Posted: 3/4/2015 3:48:20 AM EDT
[#19]
Link Posted: 3/4/2015 4:00:45 AM EDT
[#20]
Quoted:
View Quote

I think there is one coming soon.
Link Posted: 3/4/2015 4:09:19 AM EDT
[#21]
about 2k rounds through mine with Acog that hasnt died.  The rifle has a way of shaking mounts lose if you dont locktite and decently clamp down.  (no issues since doing that)   light as hell on weight and recoil for 308 and IMHO the best platform out there.  I am waiting to see how that CZ Bren shapes up though.
Link Posted: 3/4/2015 4:23:10 AM EDT
[#22]
Quoted:
I currently own three .308 "Battle Rifles"; an OBR, an SR25 ECC, and a Scar17. With that said, I absolutely love mine.
View Quote

Can you compare the accuracy of the KAC to the Scar? Own and love my Scar... But I'm wondering if the SR25 is accurate enough to replace my bolt .308 for precision rifle use.
Link Posted: 3/4/2015 4:31:53 AM EDT
[#23]
According to the people who were issued them that post on ARF, they suck.
Link Posted: 3/4/2015 4:37:31 AM EDT
[#24]
Quoted:

What does a scar or ar10 do that a fal doesn't? Well, other than break your wallet. lol
View All Quotes
Quoted:
Quoted:

What does a scar or ar10 do that a fal doesn't? Well, other than break your wallet. lol

Accuracy of the FAL does not compare to that of a SCAR or AR10....not even close. The latter are also much easier to mount a scope, have better ergonomics, are lighter, etc. The FAL and M1A are fine for collectors, but for a shooter, there are better choices now.
Link Posted: 3/4/2015 4:40:45 AM EDT
[#25]
Quoted:

Can you compare the accuracy of the KAC to the Scar? Own and love my Scar... But I'm wondering if the SR25 is accurate enough to replace my bolt .308 for precision rifle use.
View All Quotes
Quoted:
Quoted:

That really depends on what your accuracy requirement is; you didn't say. If you are comparing that SR25 against a really high-end custom bolt rifle, then no, it's not going to be quite as accurate. If you are comparing it to an "off the rack" Rem 700, then yeah, it can be pretty close.
Link Posted: 3/4/2015 4:54:48 AM EDT
[#26]
I love mine. Have a Leupold Mark 6 1-6 on it. No issues. Stock trigger sucks, I replaced mine with a Geissele. I took it deer hunting this year and shot a buck at over 160 yards. I'd recommend one!
Link Posted: 3/4/2015 5:13:57 AM EDT
[#27]
I like mine. I was lucky enough to get it 20% off at a Black Friday sale just before Sandy Hook. I took off the muzzle brake for  a suppressor mount. I've shot .75" five shot groups with it stock using match ammo. At some point I'll get around to changing the trigger. It does have one of the Handl Defense lowers now so it'll shoot P-mags which is awesome. I'm debating about buying 13" bbl for it since they are now available for public consumption. We'll see.

Link Posted: 3/4/2015 5:42:48 AM EDT
[#28]
Quoted:
Quoted:

Found something better.

http://wwiiairsoftreenactorsofmichigan.yolasite.com/resources/VFC-AEG-BAR-M1918A2-STD-AG-1_01.jpg?timestamp=1315427880436

You ever hold one?

Have an OOW model.  20 pounds of hog.  Barely any recoil, but that bitch is heavy.
Link Posted: 3/4/2015 6:05:58 AM EDT
[#29]
Ask yourself why you want a .308 rifle.

If it's to reach out and thump stuff, then ask yourself why you would want to hobble yourself with a 16" barrel and pay out your nose for it.

If you just want a toy that gives you range swag, fireballs, and loud noise, then by all means, go for it.
Link Posted: 3/4/2015 6:29:52 AM EDT
[#30]
Quoted:

If it's to reach out and thump stuff, then ask yourself why you would want to hobble yourself with a 16" barrel and pay out your nose for it.

If you just want a toy that gives you range swag, fireballs, and loud noise, then by all means, go for it.
View Quote

Que?
Link Posted: 3/4/2015 6:52:05 AM EDT
[#31]

Quoted:
Que?
View All Quotes
Quoted:

Quoted:

Que?

Short barrels on 308 rifles suck, because then you are basically shooting an AK round but with 308 weight to it.

But to be honest Larry Vickers says dont go short than 16"
Link Posted: 3/4/2015 7:49:26 AM EDT
[#32]
I've used one quite a bit. It's a very nice rifle. Light, comfortable, low recoil, good aftermarket support.
But for the price they want, they are out of their loopy Belgian minds
At $1,500 it would rule the market, but at $2,500+ there are way better options.

It's not any more accurate than an AR pattern 7.62. Spare barrels are almost $1,000 . There is a documented occurrence of it breaking high end optics, in a relatively short timeframe, due to the recoil impulse. The stock is kind of shitty, I managed to break mine while doing a ruck run and stress shoot event.
Link Posted: 3/4/2015 8:06:20 AM EDT
[#33]
Quoted:

Short barrels on 308 rifles suck, because then you are basically shooting an AK round but with 308 weight to it.

View All Quotes
Quoted:
Quoted:
Quoted:

Que?

It wouldn't be so bad if they'd used a 1:10" twist so heavier rounds could be used, but 1"12" hamstrings it in my opinion for a 16" barrel.

That said, I can do 1 MOA with 168 gr HPBT all day which is twice the accuracy of my old FN FAL with less weight and a better trigger (now that I have the Geissele in it...)

I will be buying a 20" heavy profile 1:10 twist barrel when available. Still kicking myself for not buying that demo Desert Hi-Dog match SS barrel I saw on GB for $1k back in early 2013...
Link Posted: 3/4/2015 8:18:16 AM EDT
[#34]
Quoted:

View All Quotes
Quoted:
Quoted:

My best FAL shoots 2MOA with 155gr Hornady Steel Match.  My Scar 17 shoots 1/2 MOA with the same ammo.
Link Posted: 3/4/2015 8:18:18 AM EDT
[#35]
I had 2 AR10's before I got my first Scar 17. I now had 2 17's and 1 AR10.

Most of the haters dont have one and have never shot them. I expected more out of the trigger, but through some Giselle triggers in and now the rifle are fantastic!!
Link Posted: 3/4/2015 8:19:50 AM EDT
[#36]
If I was going to spend that much on a .308, I would definitely take a close look at LMT's offering. I have read nothing but great things about those .Besides, I have 4 of the 5.56 LMT's.
Link Posted: 3/4/2015 8:23:11 AM EDT
[#37]
Quoted:

View All Quotes
Quoted:
Quoted:
Quoted:

My TA31,  Aimpoint Micro,  and Eotech 512 all had problems with the SCAR 17.

My Vortex Razor has not.  Ive read that several manufacturers had to harden their scopes for the 17.
Link Posted: 3/4/2015 8:24:47 AM EDT
[#38]
I like mine.  Not substantially better than an AR-10, but a bit lighter and Whippier.   The mag, lower, and optics issues are real, but not something that either more money or patience won't fix.  With more AR-10 options on the market in the market like the Colt, I don't see much reason one can argue for the SCAR-17 these days unless you just want it, which should be reason enough.
Link Posted: 3/4/2015 10:03:05 AM EDT
[#39]
Scar 17 is the best battle rifle ever made
Reliable
Accurate
Light weight
Ergonomic
Easy and fast to clean
Folding stock - if you're inside a car

-----
Hk-91 not ergonomic
FAL not accurate
Ar-10 doesn't fold (slightly less reliable )

Next .....:)
Link Posted: 3/4/2015 10:05:18 AM EDT
[#40]
Thanks for all of the good info.  I think I've picked my next rifle.  Now I just have to figure out a way to pay for it .  Might take a little saving for a while....
Link Posted: 3/4/2015 10:30:49 AM EDT
[#41]
Flame suit on.

At the first Crimson Trace midnight 3 gun, FN brought a full auto SCAR as a stage gun. When we went to rotate in to that stage, the gun was down for repair so we got diverted.

After a few hours' work they could not get it running again and simply cancelled that stage. Meanwhile a full auto PWS ran like a raped ape in the shoot house stage, 60 rounds full auto for each shooter, 10 shooters per squad, at least 10 squads plus press, VIP, etc. The FN-supplied SAW ran, but only 10 rounds per shooter.

The SCAR did not return for the next year's match, or the next.

That episode pretty much cured me of SCAR fever, which I had real bad. Go ahead, bring out the torches and pitchforks.
Link Posted: 3/4/2015 10:33:12 AM EDT
[#42]
Link Posted: 3/4/2015 10:33:54 AM EDT
[#43]

I really like mine.

Link Posted: 3/4/2015 10:52:11 AM EDT
[#44]
Quoted:
Quoted:
Quoted:
View Quote

Found something better.

http://wwiiairsoftreenactorsofmichigan.yolasite.com/resources/VFC-AEG-BAR-M1918A2-STD-AG-1_01.jpg?timestamp=1315427880436
View Quote

You ever hold one?

Have an OOW model.  20 pounds of hog.  Barely any recoil, but that bitch is heavy.
View Quote

HCAR FTMFW!!!
Link Posted: 3/4/2015 10:58:22 AM EDT
[#45]
MK20 SSR is supposed to be released soon

I saw a guy selling 5 NIB FDE Scar 17 mags at a gun show a couple years ago for $70 for all of them.

I would have FO'd like a hobo on a ham sammich...only if I had a Scar 17...

Link Posted: 3/4/2015 1:10:56 PM EDT
[#46]
I've been lusting after one for quite some time. It's 2nd on my buy list after I buy a CMP Garand.
Link Posted: 3/4/2015 1:14:30 PM EDT
[#47]
Quoted:
View All Quotes
Quoted:

Nothing wrong with an AR10, but if it's at a similar price point I'd go with the SCAR.

Quoted:

Link Posted: 3/4/2015 1:17:46 PM EDT
[#48]
Quoted:
View Quote

I think a company called Nemo Arms (or something like that) makes one I believe. It is either. 30-06 or 300WinMag..i don't remember.

Posted Via AR15.Com Mobile
Link Posted: 3/4/2015 1:20:23 PM EDT
[#49]
Link Posted: 3/4/2015 1:21:47 PM EDT
[#50]

Quoted:

Quoted:

Found something better.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=_7IpiI_RLkg

Arrow Left Previous Page
Page / 2
Close Join Our Mail List to Stay Up To Date! Win a FREE Membership!

Sign up for the ARFCOM weekly newsletter and be entered to win a free ARFCOM membership. One new winner* is announced every week!

You will receive an email every Friday morning featuring the latest chatter from the hottest topics, breaking news surrounding legislation, as well as exclusive deals only available to ARFCOM email subscribers.

By signing up you agree to our User Agreement. *Must have a registered ARFCOM account to win.
Top Top