Are you sure you wish to do this?

Confirm Cancel
BCM
User Panel

Arrow Left Previous Page
Page / 3
Posted: 3/3/2015 6:51:26 PM EDT
Title pretty much says it all.  

I'm doing ok where I am now.  I just like to keep my options open, as in a backup plan.

I want to be a lion tamer.
Link Posted: 3/3/2015 6:59:48 PM EDT
[#1]
it isn't the training.
it is how much of a pay cut can you take starting at the bottom again.

I have been pondering that same thing for a few months now.
Am 44, just got my BS.
My field doesn't need a degree to get where I am obviously or I wouldn't be here.
I have done this work for 15 years and am quite good at it, but my degree made me look at other possible choices.
however I have no experience in that line of work.

Attempting to move over, looks like a 20k-40k pay cut, with the upside of making 20k-30k more than I make now in about 5 years. There is no chance to make the extra in 5 years doing what I do now.
might eek out another 10k over the 5 years staying put.
it would be a very painful move, with some good upside later.

if you can take that pain, Or your new field pays better starting out, then go for it.
Link Posted: 3/3/2015 7:01:04 PM EDT
[#2]
You need a financial cushion before you make any leaps.
Link Posted: 3/3/2015 7:03:48 PM EDT
[#3]
I just started as a apprentice electrician at 26

Link Posted: 3/3/2015 7:07:10 PM EDT
[#4]
Discussion ForumsJump to Quoted PostQuote History
Quoted:

View Quote

You might want to back out now before an adult bitch-slaps you, son

Link Posted: 3/3/2015 7:07:31 PM EDT
[#5]
I knew a lady who went to dental school at the age of 55 and graduated.  My father studied at night classes for ten years to get his engineering degree (45 yrs old at the time of graduation).  Bottom line' its never too late
Link Posted: 3/3/2015 7:08:27 PM EDT
[#6]
Quoted:
it isn't the training.
it is how much of a pay cut can you take starting at the bottom again.

I have been pondering that same thing for a few months now.
Am 44, just got my BS.
My field doesn't need a degree to get where I am obviously or I wouldn't be here.
I have done this work for 15 years and am quite good at it, but my degree made me look at other possible choices.
however I have no experience in that line of work.

Attempting to move over, looks like a 20k-40k pay cut, with the upside of making 20k-30k more than I make now in about 5 years. There is no chance to make the extra in 5 years doing what I do now.
might eek out another 10k over the 5 years staying put.
it would be a very painful move, with some good upside later.

if you can take that pain, Or your new field pays better starting out, then go for it.
View Quote

I'm 42.  Like I said in my opening post, I'm doing ok now. I'm not in any financial trouble. The truth is I'm worried about retirement, as in I would like to retire before I die.  I could take a cut now if pays off in the end.  

Link Posted: 3/3/2015 7:09:33 PM EDT
[#7]
Quoted:
I knew a lady who went to dental school at the age of 55 and graduated.  My father studied at night classes for ten years to get his engineering degree (45 yrs old at the time of graduation).  Bottom line' its never too late
View Quote

We had an OTA student that was in her late 40's that just finished up one of her clinical rotations.  

I strongly agree with the previous posters though that the biggest factor, by far, is giving yourself a financial cushion.
Link Posted: 3/3/2015 7:11:04 PM EDT
[#8]
Unless it is a job you will really love I think you need to consider how the move will effect your retirement.
Link Posted: 3/3/2015 7:13:01 PM EDT
[#9]
If you are interested in something there is no such thing as too old...
Link Posted: 3/3/2015 7:14:06 PM EDT
[#10]
If you are looking to be a greeter at a major department store, I think you can viably start training at that one 6 months prior to your death of old age, and still get the gig.

So, dream big.
Link Posted: 3/3/2015 7:14:42 PM EDT
[#11]

Quoted:

View Quote

Mouseketeer? That'll be awkward in the dressing room, but I like where your head is at.
Link Posted: 3/3/2015 7:19:25 PM EDT
[#12]
Quoted:
If you are looking to be a greeter at a major department store, I think you can viably start training at that one 6 months prior to your death of old age, and still get the gig.

So, dream big.
View Quote

That's actually my current backup plan. I figure once I'm too decrepit for my field I can switch to that.  
Link Posted: 3/3/2015 7:22:49 PM EDT
[#13]
Quoted:

Mouseketeer? That'll be awkward in the dressing room, but I like where your head is at.
View Quote View All Quotes
View All Quotes
Quoted:
Quoted:

Okay, maybe a few things are out of reach...

ETA:

One of my classmates during the last year was a "non-traditional" student (I would guess that he is mid to late 50s); he had served some time in the Army and then he spent his civilian career in emergency services. After retirement he decided to pursue something that he was interested in and that he wanted to get a doctorate . . . he is headed towards a Ph.D. within the next year. Good for him, IMHO!
Link Posted: 3/3/2015 7:24:33 PM EDT
[#14]
Quoted:

View All Quotes
Quoted:
Quoted:

Lol...26? Oh lawdy lawd, you old!

Jk, man

I started my career as a lineman at 32...would have been easier ten years ago, but...s'okay.

Just depends on the career and whether your have the physical and financial ability to handle the changes.
Link Posted: 3/3/2015 7:40:48 PM EDT
[#15]
Totally depends on who you are, and how long it takes to get into the career field you want, plus what a "retirement" from that career field takes to reach.

As long as you are alive, you have the opportunity and ability to do something different.  You just need to figure out how badly you want it, and then find a way to get it.
Link Posted: 3/3/2015 7:45:23 PM EDT
[#16]
Link Posted: 3/3/2015 7:46:25 PM EDT
[#17]
Quoted:

I'm doing ok where I am now.  I just like to keep my options open, as in a backup plan.

View Quote

Chartered Accountant, are you?
Link Posted: 3/3/2015 7:47:00 PM EDT
[#18]
Dead.
Link Posted: 3/3/2015 7:48:05 PM EDT
[#19]
I'm 39 and working on pre med.  Looking to go into cardio thoracic surgery.
Link Posted: 3/3/2015 7:53:10 PM EDT
[#20]
Dont discount the time value of money.

Compare a public school teacher vs family practice doctor.

Who makes more over their lifetime?

Most would guess the doc, but some models show the teacher, with a modest savings and investment strategy, makes more because of difference in educational costs, age when you start earning an income, and the value of benefits.

Taking a huge cut now to hope to make more in the future may be a very bad move for you.

Link Posted: 3/3/2015 7:54:13 PM EDT
[#21]

Quoted:

View Quote
I hope you are independently wealthy and planning on that as a hobby.

Link Posted: 3/3/2015 7:59:24 PM EDT
[#22]
Link Posted: 3/3/2015 8:02:30 PM EDT
[#23]
Quoted:

View All Quotes
Quoted:
Quoted:

Neither apply. Thanks for trying.
Link Posted: 3/3/2015 8:09:29 PM EDT
[#24]
If you're not on your death bed, and physically capable of performing the duties of the job, go for it.
Link Posted: 3/3/2015 8:19:50 PM EDT
[#25]
I would say it depends on your choice of a " New Career ".

Some areas are so desperate that they will take the first warm body comes along with the proper credentials .

Others could  careless if you had a sheep skin for Yale. This would be your Walmart greeter type.

Select a new career that has high demand . And of course pays well .

gd
Link Posted: 3/3/2015 8:20:15 PM EDT
[#26]
"Welcome to Walmart ... get your shit and get out."
Link Posted: 3/3/2015 8:20:53 PM EDT
[#27]
Quoted:

View All Quotes
Quoted:
Quoted:

One of my favorite skits from when I was a youngster.  
Link Posted: 3/3/2015 8:21:54 PM EDT
[#28]
Link Posted: 3/3/2015 8:21:57 PM EDT
[#29]
Fifty  
Link Posted: 3/3/2015 8:23:01 PM EDT
[#30]

Ding Ding Ding!  Winner!
Link Posted: 3/3/2015 8:24:11 PM EDT
[#31]
I'm 48, I'd like to do something different after 25 years

I don't have a clue what I want to do though
Link Posted: 3/3/2015 8:24:28 PM EDT
[#32]

Once I hit 95 I'm planning on just putting my feet up and coasting.

Link Posted: 3/3/2015 8:26:06 PM EDT
[#33]
Walter White became a meth cook at 50. It can be done.
Link Posted: 3/3/2015 8:28:53 PM EDT
[#34]
If you want to do something else.  Do it.  

It's your life.  Live it.
Link Posted: 3/3/2015 8:31:45 PM EDT
[#35]
Quoted:

View All Quotes
Quoted:
Quoted:
Quoted:

I applaud you.  You will be pushing 50 to reach that goal and I am guessing with tuition costs pushing a quarter million.
Link Posted: 3/3/2015 8:34:25 PM EDT
[#36]
Id say 40 is pretty much the point of no return
Link Posted: 3/3/2015 8:35:57 PM EDT
[#37]
No idea, but I remember Handel making fun of a caller who called him saying he'd just graduated law school and passed his bar at 50ish.  No one would hire him.
Link Posted: 3/3/2015 8:38:56 PM EDT
[#38]
Link Posted: 3/3/2015 8:39:46 PM EDT
[#39]
Quoted:
Id say 40 is pretty much the point of no return
View Quote

Quite a bit of truth in that (for a lot of companies and industries).

Link Posted: 3/3/2015 8:42:17 PM EDT
[#40]
Quoted:
View Quote

This.  Didn't that Colonel Sanders guy start his KFC business when he was in his 60's?
Link Posted: 3/3/2015 8:43:20 PM EDT
[#41]
Quoted:
One of our recent 75 year old retirees is headed to law school.

View Quote

Well according to Handel no one will hire him.  He does offer marginal legal advice though so take that with a grain of salt.
Link Posted: 3/3/2015 8:44:05 PM EDT
[#42]
You get one go around on this orb.

Doing a job you despise is a miserable way to live out your life.

Go for it.
Link Posted: 3/3/2015 8:45:19 PM EDT
[#43]
We just hired a new nurse out of school who is in his early 50's.
Link Posted: 3/3/2015 8:54:09 PM EDT
[#44]
Quoted:
View Quote

This is not the norm unless you're in a podunk rural hospital with a short list of applicants. I am fucked at the ripe old age of 42 trying to get into a hospital as an RT with 18 years of experience. Young , dumb, right out of school, female  and  cheap is what they are looking for.
Link Posted: 3/3/2015 8:57:37 PM EDT
[#45]
Quoted:

This is not the norm unless you're in a podunk rural hospital with a short list of applicants. I am fucked at the ripe old age of 42 trying to get into a hospital as an RT with 18 years of experience. Young , dumb, right out of school, female  and  cheap is what they are looking for.
View All Quotes
Quoted:
Quoted:

I graduate RN school in May at the age of 34, I have a ton of career changers in my class too.  I think its region specific for jobs, Atlanta has no shortage.
Link Posted: 3/3/2015 9:05:25 PM EDT
[#46]
I left IT for a signal job at the railroad at 38.  Granted, it was a big pay raise, and not to mention much better benefits and like, retirement.

It's been hard, I won't lie.  Going from a desk to physical labor overnight was damn rough.  Trying to learn high level electronics and rules and new stuff after not seriously doing 'school' for 20 years is rough.  Being an Old Guy with a bunch of young supervisors around telling you what to do, while even younger 'kids' with more seniority sit around at laugh at you, is really rough!

But, hoping that retirement is worth it!  I sure as hell wasn't going to get one in IT!

But yeah, if taking a major pay cut to do it, make sure your wife is on board, have several months of living expenses put back, and don't burn any bridges at your old job and career field, in case you have to go back.

Good luck!
Link Posted: 3/3/2015 9:06:55 PM EDT
[#47]
Quoted:
I left IT for a signal job at the railroad at 38.  Granted, it was a big pay raise, and not to mention much better benefits and like, retirement.

It's been hard, I won't lie.  Going from a desk to physical labor overnight was damn rough.  Trying to learn high level electronics and rules and new stuff after not seriously doing 'school' for 20 years is rough.  Being an Old Guy with a bunch of young supervisors around telling you what to do, while even younger 'kids' with more seniority sit around at laugh at you, is really rough!

But, hoping that retirement is worth it!  I sure as hell wasn't going to get one in IT!

But yeah, if taking a major pay cut to do it, make sure your wife is on board, have several months of living expenses put back, and don't burn any bridges at your old job and career field, in case you have to go back.

Good luck!
View Quote

Bennies!  Get them Bennies. /Affleck

Glad it worked for you though.
Link Posted: 3/3/2015 9:12:58 PM EDT
[#48]

Barring some arbitrary age limit like in the military, I would say never.

Road blocks and brick walls are there to keep the meek and unmotivated out.  There are ways around almost any challenge.

Link Posted: 3/3/2015 9:14:49 PM EDT
[#49]
The real question is, how old can you be and have people still hire you?  Particularly as a novice in your field.  Also can you afford to live on a novice wage?
Link Posted: 3/3/2015 9:20:29 PM EDT
[#50]
Think was 49 and quit being in IT and started flipping houses. At times it has been hard but enjoy it more, get to carry a gun all day and answer to no one.

Completely different fields and at times scary.

The biggest advise can offer is cut out unneeded expenses, (cable, car payments and etc..), before getting started. I cut my cell phone bills from 275.00 a month down to under 100.00 and started watching all money spent.

Arrow Left Previous Page
Page / 3
Close Join Our Mail List to Stay Up To Date! Win a FREE Membership!

Sign up for the ARFCOM weekly newsletter and be entered to win a free ARFCOM membership. One new winner* is announced every week!

You will receive an email every Friday morning featuring the latest chatter from the hottest topics, breaking news surrounding legislation, as well as exclusive deals only available to ARFCOM email subscribers.

By signing up you agree to our User Agreement. *Must have a registered ARFCOM account to win.
Top Top