Confirm Action

Are you sure you wish to do this?

Confirm Cancel
BCM
User Panel

Arrow Left Previous Page
Page / 4
Posted: 2/11/2015 1:06:48 PM EDT
About a month ago she laid down the law so to speak and told me what I will be doing this spring or else!

First that I have to get her old car fixed and sell it.

Then use the money to buy a pair of motorcycles and teach her to ride.

It looks like I will have a budget of about $5-6k so I should be able to get something decent enough for us to each ride to work and take on weekend trips (which is her plan, because she thinks taking bikes are the only way that I will actually go)

So what should I be looking for, ohh wise GD basement dwelling experts of all things?

We each have a daily commute of about 70-75 miles round trip, on the state highway and city streets.

Same brand would be nice for ease of maintenance and spare parts.

She is pretty small, but she teaches fitness classes, so as long as she can get leverage she can pick up most bikes.

Ohh and she wants me to shave my beard into mutton chops too.
Link Posted: 2/11/2015 1:08:05 PM EDT
[#1]
The very first thing you need to do is follow the rules...
Link Posted: 2/11/2015 1:08:26 PM EDT
[#2]
so... not a pegging thread?

Link Posted: 2/11/2015 1:09:48 PM EDT
[#3]
Well ok then
Link Posted: 2/11/2015 1:09:55 PM EDT
[#4]
Buy her a Honda rebel 250,it will be easy for her to handle
Link Posted: 2/11/2015 1:10:14 PM EDT
[#5]
28K and you don't know the rules!  

I have zero insight on your dilemma !  
Link Posted: 2/11/2015 1:10:30 PM EDT
[#6]
Discussion ForumsJump to Quoted PostQuote History
Quoted:
View Quote

The Colawarriors on FB have seen her. Go peep and puke and so can you
Link Posted: 2/11/2015 1:10:32 PM EDT
[#7]
Link Posted: 2/11/2015 1:10:45 PM EDT
[#8]
Quoted:
View Quote

This guy knows what's up.
Link Posted: 2/11/2015 1:10:58 PM EDT
[#9]

Pegging?
Link Posted: 2/11/2015 1:11:01 PM EDT
[#10]
Beta
Link Posted: 2/11/2015 1:12:43 PM EDT
[#11]
Link Posted: 2/11/2015 1:13:00 PM EDT
[#12]
If you have basic mechanic skills...Vintage 70s Honda CBs.  CB750 for you and CB550 for her.  I love those motorcycles.
Link Posted: 2/11/2015 1:13:01 PM EDT
[#13]
Quoted:

Pegging?
View Quote View All Quotes
View All Quotes

You don't want to know.
Link Posted: 2/11/2015 1:14:09 PM EDT
[#14]

Quoted:
Pegging?
View All Quotes
Go home tonight, shut all the lights off, light a candle, maybe grab a frosty beverage and start Googling.

Link Posted: 2/11/2015 1:14:23 PM EDT
[#15]
Get her a car. The money you'll save on gas won't offset the money you'll spend on her health care after she gets hit by a car on her motorcycle.
Link Posted: 2/11/2015 1:15:12 PM EDT
[#16]
Link Posted: 2/11/2015 1:16:09 PM EDT
[#17]

Quoted:

Get her a car. The money you'll save on gas won't offset the money you'll spend on her health care after she gets hit by a car on her motorcycle.
View Quote
This is true. No one that drives a car has ever ended up in the hospital.

Link Posted: 2/11/2015 1:17:23 PM EDT
[#18]
Quoted:
If you have basic mechanic skills...Vintage 70s Honda CBs.  CB750 for you and CB550 for her.  I love those motorcycles.
View Quote

Those are the most likely candidates, especially since I have a box with most of the parts to build a 74 cb450 in storage.   I'm open to suggestions, but crotch rockets cruisers are out the door on style principles.

She really wants something to ride up to the rockabilly and hillbilly roots shows.

Link Posted: 2/11/2015 1:17:26 PM EDT
[#19]
Quoted:
Go home tonight, shut all the lights off, light a candle, maybe grab a frosty beverage and start Googling.  
View All Quotes
Quoted:

Just make sure you have a large garbage can lined with plastic shopping bags and a rag handy.
Link Posted: 2/11/2015 1:17:56 PM EDT
[#20]
Suzuki Sv650.  Cheap, reliable, common, and easy to work on.  Plus, it was sold for a decade with nearly no changes, so parts are easy to find.

Oh, and it's a fantastic bike (I have 4 at the moment)
Link Posted: 2/11/2015 1:18:27 PM EDT
[#21]
You gave her the Supra?

Also, don't you already have half a bike stashed over on 8th?

Link Posted: 2/11/2015 1:19:31 PM EDT
[#22]
Quoted:
View Quote

Thank you for that insightful and informative post that answered my question and definitely would help me meet the desires of my girlfriend.
Link Posted: 2/11/2015 1:19:46 PM EDT
[#23]
Eh, I'm not a huge fan of females riding motorcycles on the street. I would feel much better with my lady riding pillion than on her own bike.

But if you must, get her a 250 rebel or ninja/cbr to start out on
Link Posted: 2/11/2015 1:19:54 PM EDT
[#24]
pointy everything!

eject asap
Link Posted: 2/11/2015 1:19:55 PM EDT
[#25]
Bad idea.
There are two kinds of bikers. The ones that had accidents and the ones that will.
Link Posted: 2/11/2015 1:20:17 PM EDT
[#26]

Quoted:

Suzuki Sv650.  Cheap, reliable, common, and easy to work on.  Plus, it was sold for a decade with nearly no changes, so parts are easy to find.

Oh, and it's a fantastic bike (I have 4 at the moment)
View Quote
Well, I guess it's cheaper than rifles.  

Link Posted: 2/11/2015 1:20:24 PM EDT
[#27]
$6,000 budget you say?

Buy yourself a $5,500 motorcycle and get her a 1972 Yamaha IT175 for $500!!
Link Posted: 2/11/2015 1:20:29 PM EDT
[#28]
How is her relationship with her brother?
Link Posted: 2/11/2015 1:20:46 PM EDT
[#29]
Quoted:
View All Quotes
Quoted:
Quoted:

I have never been in the hospital from any car accident, but I have been in the hospital 4 times from motorcycle accidents over the last 45 years. I gave up motorcycles.
Link Posted: 2/11/2015 1:21:58 PM EDT
[#30]
Suzuki SV 650s

That's all you need to know.
Link Posted: 2/11/2015 1:22:47 PM EDT
[#31]
Quoted:
You gave her the Supra?

View Quote

Nope. The supra is gone, which means her civic goes in the garage to get fixed then sold.  

And I have more than a while bike in parts, but it would need to be completely rebuilt and put together which wouldn't match her timeline.

And this project should keep me out of the house enough she won't ask me to repaint the hallway or bedroom
Link Posted: 2/11/2015 1:23:04 PM EDT
[#32]
Quoted:

Thank you for that insightful and informative post that answered my question and definitely would help me meet the desires of my girlfriend.
View All Quotes
Quoted:
Quoted:

Sometimes you have to take charge, and make your woman see the error of their ways. A woman riding a motorcycle 75 miles day during rush hour traffic is not a wise decision.
Link Posted: 2/11/2015 1:23:43 PM EDT
[#33]
Quoted:
How is her relationship with her brother?
View Quote

She is an only child
Link Posted: 2/11/2015 1:24:52 PM EDT
[#34]

Quoted:

Nope. The supra is gone, which means her civic goes in the garage to get fixed then sold.  

And I have more than a while bike in parts, but it would need to be completely rebuilt and put together which wouldn't match her timeline.

And this project should keep me out of the house enough she won't ask me to repaint the hallway or bedroom
View All Quotes
Quoted:

Quoted:

You gave her the Supra?

Fair enough.

Nothing else really to add, just wanted to bust on ya some, it's been a while.

Good luck.

Link Posted: 2/11/2015 1:24:53 PM EDT
[#35]
Motards for everybody.

For a gun forum dedicated to evil black rifles, there sure are a lot of "you may get hurt" types.
Link Posted: 2/11/2015 1:25:01 PM EDT
[#36]
Quoted:
View Quote

Don't forget life insurance for both of you, but especially her.
Link Posted: 2/11/2015 1:25:13 PM EDT
[#37]
Quoted:
Eh, I'm not a huge fan of females riding motorcycles on the street. I would feel much better with my lady riding pillion than on her own bike.

But if you must, get her a 250 rebel or ninja/cbr to start out on
View Quote

Considering she can rock crawl a jeep through Utah, I'm really not too worried about her ability to handle herself.
Link Posted: 2/11/2015 1:26:26 PM EDT
[#38]
Quoted:
Motards for everybody.

For a gun forum dedicated to evil black rifles, there sure are a lot of "you may get hurt" types.
View Quote

Truth, btw she loved your grom story
Link Posted: 2/11/2015 1:26:40 PM EDT
[#39]
I don;t see an ultimatum?

Like if you don't comply, what happens?

Link Posted: 2/11/2015 1:27:37 PM EDT
[#40]
2x honda grom
Link Posted: 2/11/2015 1:28:05 PM EDT
[#41]
Quoted:

I have never been in the hospital from any car accident, but I have been in the hospital 4 times from motorcycle accidents over the last 45 years. I gave up motorcycles.
View All Quotes
Quoted:
Quoted:
Quoted:

Sounds like you needed to give up trying to ride about 44.9 years ago.  Slow learner?
Link Posted: 2/11/2015 1:28:27 PM EDT
[#42]

Quoted:

View Quote
Apparently he has to paint otherwise.
Link Posted: 2/11/2015 1:28:40 PM EDT
[#43]
I was going to say Ninja 250 and 600, but I see that's out. The SV650 or V-Strom are cool, but not very Rockabilly. How about building some street trackers?
Link Posted: 2/11/2015 1:29:39 PM EDT
[#44]
Quoted:

View Quote

"Or else!"

I'm pretty sure she might kill me in my sleep, or toss my favorite shirt, or shave my beard in my sleep, or stop baking cookies or some shit.
Link Posted: 2/11/2015 1:30:24 PM EDT
[#45]
Quoted:

View All Quotes
Quoted:
Quoted:
Quoted:

Obviously a good decision for you, now maybe you should mind your own goddamn business and let other people make their own decisions.
Link Posted: 2/11/2015 1:30:37 PM EDT
[#46]
Quoted:

View Quote

A girl that would rather have her own cycle?  I'd eject on that.  You are the beta.
Link Posted: 2/11/2015 1:32:03 PM EDT
[#47]
Quoted:

Sounds like you needed to give up trying to ride about 44.9 years ago.  Slow learner?
View All Quotes
Quoted:
Quoted:
Quoted:
Quoted:

From the good ole' days(around 1990)....yep I'm a slow learner

Link Posted: 2/11/2015 1:32:07 PM EDT
[#48]
Quoted:
I was going to say Ninja 250 and 600, but I see that's out. The SV650 or V-Strom are cool, but not very Rockabilly. How about building some street trackers?
View Quote

That's kind of the idea.  Just need to find a fairly reliable platform to work from.  I would probably mod the seat day 1 to get it set up for her, but keep it mostly stock at first.
Link Posted: 2/11/2015 1:33:00 PM EDT
[#49]
Quoted:

Those are the most likely candidates, especially since I have a box with most of the parts to build a 74 cb450 in storage.   I'm open to suggestions, but crotch rockets cruisers are out the door on style principles.

She really wants something to ride up to the rockabilly and hillbilly roots shows.

View All Quotes
Quoted:
Quoted:

This is a terrible idea.  Vintage UMJs suck: they're heavy, slow, have poor handling, need lots of maintenance, are ugly, and slow.  Did I mention that they are slow?  While the CB750 might be able to keep up with some modern 400s, the CB550 will be dusted by anything with a motor built within the last 20 years, and some dudes on bicycles.  

A $6k budget will get you a pair of decent 15 year old UMJs and you might have enough left over for a nice dinner somewhere.  Don't forget that you're going to want to spend about $2K on riding gear.
Link Posted: 2/11/2015 1:33:37 PM EDT
[#50]
Suzuki Savage 650
Cheap, Reliable

Arrow Left Previous Page
Page / 4
Close Join Our Mail List to Stay Up To Date! Win a FREE Membership!

Sign up for the ARFCOM weekly newsletter and be entered to win a free ARFCOM membership. One new winner* is announced every week!

You will receive an email every Friday morning featuring the latest chatter from the hottest topics, breaking news surrounding legislation, as well as exclusive deals only available to ARFCOM email subscribers.

By signing up you agree to our User Agreement. *Must have a registered ARFCOM account to win.
Top Top