Are you sure you wish to do this?

Confirm Cancel
BCM
User Panel

Arrow Left Previous Page
Page / 2
Posted: 2/1/2015 10:27:54 AM EDT
Reading the recent measles thread prompted me to post this as a public warning:

I just started a new job at a hospital and as part of the pre-employment checks they do they did a blood test on me to see if my titre (immunity) to several diseases was still strong enough.
They do this to protect both the employees and the patients from what they could be exposed to.

Most of mine came back fine except my measles immunity was now non-existent.  
I just turned 50, was fully vaxed as a kid in the 60s and early 70s but either the shots were no good or it had worn off.

So even if you had all your shots as a kid, you may not still be immune now as an adult.    

With the measles now actively spreading in the US again if you are middle aged like me you may want to talk to your doc and find out if you should get revaxed for MMR (Measles/Mumps/Rubella - they all come in the same shot).

My new employer gave me another MMR vax and other than having a fever the night of the shot it was no big deal .

Hope that this helps someone out there,
CG

Link Posted: 2/1/2015 10:28:37 AM EDT
[#1]
I had the measles as a kid..........am I still immune?
Link Posted: 2/1/2015 10:31:52 AM EDT
[#2]
No idea RDAK, not a doc :) .    I think having had it gives you a stronger immunity than the shot but you really should ask your doc this.
Link Posted: 2/1/2015 10:34:34 AM EDT
[#3]
Interesting........... I had all my vaccinations but don't remember when my last ones were for standard stuff - maybe 3rd/4th grade so ~ 53 years ago?. Only thing I've had since is updates to tetanus (and whatever extra they throw in that one) every few years. No one has ever suggested doing measles/mumps again. had mumps (2x on both sides) as a kid, measles and polio,  so hopefully don't need to worry about those again..
Link Posted: 2/1/2015 10:35:07 AM EDT
[#4]
Is it true that some people can't get measles?

Yes. Some people are immune to measles, meaning that their body has already learned how to fight off the virus, and they won't become sick from it. People can become immune to measles in 2 ways. If they've already had measles earlier in life, then they are immune and won't get it again. Or, if they have gotten 2 doses of measles vaccine, they should be immune (protected from getting measles).
Link Posted: 2/1/2015 10:35:21 AM EDT
[#5]
Discussion ForumsJump to Quoted PostQuote History
Quoted:
No idea RDAK, not a doc :) .    I think having had it gives you a stronger immunity than the shot but you really should ask your doc this.
View Quote

Thanks for the info.
Link Posted: 2/1/2015 10:35:46 AM EDT
[#6]
pretty sure you are suppose to keep up to date on these things no?   I just got my Measles, Mumps, Rubella, Diphtheria, Tetanus, Pertussis shot a few years ago as an adult. As an update, not my first one.  Was recommended by my doc and nurse and they are all in the same shot now I guess.  Or the one they carried was
Link Posted: 2/1/2015 10:35:49 AM EDT
[#7]
Quoted:

Yes. Some people are immune to measles, meaning that their body has already learned how to fight off the virus, and they won't become sick from it. People can become immune to measles in 2 ways. If they've already had measles earlier in life, then they are immune and won't get it again. Or, if they have gotten 2 doses of measles vaccine, they should be immune (protected from getting measles).
View Quote

Thanks for the info.
Link Posted: 2/1/2015 10:38:03 AM EDT
[#8]
I had vaccinations as a kid and upon entering the US Navy received a shit load of vaccinations. What all did the military vaccinate for?
Link Posted: 2/1/2015 10:39:51 AM EDT
[#9]
Quoted:
Reading the recent measles thread prompted me to post this as a public warning:

I just started a new job at a hospital and as part of the pre-employment checks they do they did a blood test on me to see if my titre (immunity) to several diseases was still strong enough.
They do this to protect both the employees and the patients from what they could be exposed to.

Most of mine came back fine except my measles immunity was now non-existent.  
I just turned 50, was fully vaxed as a kid in the 60s and early 70s but either the shots were no good or it had worn off.

So even if you had all your shots as a kid, you may not still be immune now as an adult.    

With the measles now actively spreading in the US again if you are middle aged like me you may want to talk to your doc and find out if you should get revaxed for MMR (Measles/Mumps/Rubella - they all come in the same shot).

My new employer gave me another MMR vax and other than having a fever the night of the shot it was no big deal .

Hope that this helps someone out there,
CG

View Quote

That's interesting.
Link Posted: 2/1/2015 10:49:03 AM EDT
[#10]
My wife and I were talking about this last night.
We both grew up when everyone got the measles. So we've had them.

Our kids, who are in their thirties with families of their own, were vaccinated and never had the measles. Now they are at risk because they need to be vaccinated again.

That's the way I understand it. If I'm wrong, correction is always welcome.
Link Posted: 2/1/2015 10:56:16 AM EDT
[#11]
Quoted:
pretty sure you are suppose to keep up to date on these things no?   I just got my Measles, Mumps, Rubella, Diphtheria, Tetanus, Pertussis shot a few years ago as an adult. As an update, not my first one.  Was recommended by my doc and nurse and they are all in the same shot now I guess.  Or the one they carried was
View Quote

My doc had never suggested these in all the years I've seen him as an adult. I did have to ask him about getting a tetanus one as we live on land that used to be a farm and there is rusted metal in random spots all over the lot.

i know I had booster shots as a kid as my parents were diligent to the point of paranoia about vaccines....

I'm really glad I got this job, or I'd never have known.
Link Posted: 2/1/2015 10:58:06 AM EDT
[#12]
That's good to know...thanx

Im 48 and was vac'd back in the early 70's , and probably worn out by now
Link Posted: 2/1/2015 11:01:24 AM EDT
[#13]
Thanks for the public service announcement.  I had the measles as a child.  
Link Posted: 2/1/2015 11:06:18 AM EDT
[#14]
Numbers I was reading earlier today as I have a baby at home say that 1 dose of the MMR vaccine only gives 95% of the people immunity to measles. 2 doses ups it to 99%+.
Link Posted: 2/1/2015 11:07:40 AM EDT
[#15]
Will need to check on this, thanks OP.
Link Posted: 2/1/2015 11:12:29 AM EDT
[#16]
Quoted:
I had vaccinations as a kid and upon entering the US Navy received a shit load of vaccinations. What all did the military vaccinate for?
View Quote

LOL. When I was in Marine boot camp in the middle 60's, we all got vaccinated for about two dozen things, but given the time frame (middle of Viet Nam war), i suspect it was mostly tropical stuff like yellow fever and dengue.

But that brought back memories ... how many of you guys remember walking down the vaccination line with guys on both sides sticking you with needles and shooting you with those air guns? And the double trails of blood drops from it running down your arms dripping off your hands. I lost count that day after about 20 jabs.
Link Posted: 2/1/2015 11:13:53 AM EDT
[#17]
I was reading up on this yesterday (CDC and Mayo Clinic sites).  Apparently the dead-virus vaccines didn't provide much long range coverage.  Dead Virus was big in the early to mid 60s. Most measles vax have been weakened/attenuated live virus.    

So ya, a lot of people who got their measles vaccine in 60s dead vax era need to reboot.   Me included.

And fuck the pseudo-scientific narcissistic snowflakes who made this necessary.
Link Posted: 2/1/2015 11:16:23 AM EDT
[#18]
Quoted:

LOL. When I was in Marine boot camp in the middle 60's, we all got vaccinated for about two dozen things, but given the time frame (middle of Viet Nam war), i suspect it was mostly tropical stuff like yellow fever and dengue.

But that brought back memories ... how many of you guys remember walking down the vaccination line with guys on both sides sticking you with needles and shooting you with those air guns? And the double trails of blood drops from it running down your arms dripping off your hands. I lost count that day after about 20 jabs.
View Quote View All Quotes
View All Quotes
Quoted:
Quoted:

Mine were in 81-82 time frame. Square needle in the left nut was the corpsman favorite way to fuck with us boots.
Link Posted: 2/1/2015 11:17:48 AM EDT
[#19]
I had mine tested about 13 years ago (employment at Mayo), I titered fine and dandy.  Didn't have the measles, but given immunity in the 60s.

Link Posted: 2/1/2015 11:18:08 AM EDT
[#20]
Does anybody know if the .mil gave the MMR for deployments to keep it up to date.?

I know I got the DPT at least twice but I do not have my .mil vacination records.
Link Posted: 2/1/2015 11:22:08 AM EDT
[#21]
Quoted:

View All Quotes
Quoted:
Quoted:

I can still remember the whine from the air guns.  I reacted very badly to yellow fever.
Link Posted: 2/1/2015 11:22:22 AM EDT
[#22]
Quoted:
I was reading up on this yesterday (CDC and Mayo Clinic sites).  Apparently the dead-virus vaccines didn't provide much long range coverage.  Dead Virus was big in the early to mid 60s. Most measles vax have been weakened/attenuated live virus.    

So ya, a lot of people who got their measles vaccine in 60s dead vax era need to reboot.   Me included.

View Quote

From what I read, it is mostly due to millions of illegal aliens who have never been vacinated, not the special snowflakes.

The soecial snowflakes do not constitute enough of a % to meet the minimum threashold to fuel an epidemic.

The millions of unvaxed illegals do, fueling the epidemic exposure to people whose vaccine immunity has worn off.

At keast that is what I have read.
Link Posted: 2/1/2015 11:22:49 AM EDT
[#23]
Quoted:
That's good to know...thanx

Im 48 and was vac'd back in the early 70's , and probably worn out by now
View Quote

It probably has. I was vaccinated as a child, again in the military, and my titer was checked when I started working as a nurse. It had worn off in less than a decade (since my vaccination upon enlistment), so I got revaccinated AGAIN. I haven't had my titer checked again, but I probably should.
Link Posted: 2/1/2015 11:23:33 AM EDT
[#24]
Quoted:

View All Quotes
Quoted:
Quoted:

Those damned air guns were worse than the needles.
Link Posted: 2/1/2015 11:25:27 AM EDT
[#25]
Quoted:
View Quote

I had the mumps (in '68 or '69) 1 year after getting the vaccination, so no guarantees anyway,  It was a relatively new vaccine back then, but FWIW, YMMV and all that.

Disregard, I thought I read the word vaccine in the original sentence.
Link Posted: 2/1/2015 11:26:30 AM EDT
[#26]
Quoted:

From what I read, it is mostly due to millions of illegal aliens who have never been vacinated, not the special snowflakes.

The soecial snowflakes do not constitute enough of a % to meet the minimum threashold to fuel an epidemic.

The millions of unvaxed illegals do, fueling the epidemic exposure to people whose vaccine immunity has worn off.

View All Quotes
Quoted:
Quoted:

Racist. It's the soccer mom's fault
Link Posted: 2/1/2015 11:30:40 AM EDT
[#27]
Quoted:

I had the mumps (in '68 or '69) 1 year after getting the vaccination, so no guarantees anyway,  It was a relatively new vaccine back then, but FWIW, YMMV and all that.

View All Quotes
Quoted:
Quoted:

He had the measles as a kid.
You don't get them twice.
Link Posted: 2/1/2015 11:31:35 AM EDT
[#28]
Quoted:

View All Quotes
Quoted:
Quoted:
Quoted:

Speaking of that, in our local news, when they were going over the measles story they only showed little white kids like they were the cause of this shit.  Nothing hinted towards the millions of un vaccinated illegals.
Link Posted: 2/1/2015 11:33:20 AM EDT
[#29]
Is this the shot that leaves the round scar on your shoulder?
Link Posted: 2/1/2015 11:34:25 AM EDT
[#30]
Quoted:
View Quote

Given that I've had it 4 times and don't have a scar, I'm thinking probably not.
Link Posted: 2/1/2015 11:35:32 AM EDT
[#31]
I popped pos on the titre when I joined the .mil, but that was 10 years ago. I'm sure I'm good with all the shit they've pumped into me over the last decade though.

it's probably been said in the other thread, but maybe this outbreak will help a few anti-vaxers change their point of view.
Link Posted: 2/1/2015 11:35:52 AM EDT
[#32]
Quoted:
View Quote

Thats smallpox.
Link Posted: 2/1/2015 11:43:18 AM EDT
[#33]
Quoted:

Thats smallpox.
View All Quotes
Quoted:
Quoted:

Thats smallpox.

Speaking of that, how long does that last.

Link Posted: 2/1/2015 11:45:06 AM EDT
[#34]
Quoted:

View Quote

Good to know, I had it.
Link Posted: 2/1/2015 11:46:22 AM EDT
[#35]
I never had any of the childhood illnesses. I may have to start wearing a mask like the Japanese.
Link Posted: 2/1/2015 11:47:19 AM EDT
[#36]
I'm 45, and haven't had a shot since the 70's. I went in two weeks ago and got an MMR booster. Of course we're headed to SoCal and Disneyland this month so...
Link Posted: 2/1/2015 11:48:16 AM EDT
[#37]
Yay illegal aliens! Lets let in a few more million and see what they bring with them.
Link Posted: 2/1/2015 11:49:34 AM EDT
[#38]
I was a child in the 60's and 70's. I had both vaccines, the one supposedly that didn't wok and not long after that, the one that was "good".

Several years later in about the 6th or 7th grade, I got the measles. This was the mid 70's and I was one of a handful in my county that got it. Population wise our county back then was probably 250K?

I am assuming I am immune now, at least I hope so......
Link Posted: 2/1/2015 11:50:20 AM EDT
[#39]
Quoted:

View All Quotes
Quoted:
Quoted:
Quoted:

Thats smallpox.

According to the CDC, 3-5 years with decreasing immunity over time, unless you get a booster. The .mil docs told me I'd get a booster after 10 years, but I got out before then. I might go to the VA and see if they're willing to give me the booster, just so I can gross out my wife with the rotting flesh that it causes .
Link Posted: 2/1/2015 11:51:47 AM EDT
[#40]
Quoted:
View Quote

Everything known to man according to the number of jabs.
Link Posted: 2/1/2015 11:54:55 AM EDT
[#41]
Quoted:

View All Quotes
Quoted:
Quoted:

Then it was off to the pit for fun and games.  

Missed the big horse shot though that everyone got in the ass.  
Link Posted: 2/1/2015 12:00:39 PM EDT
[#42]
Measels outbreak to derail U.S. stock market like Ebola back in Oct...?
Link Posted: 2/1/2015 12:01:17 PM EDT
[#43]
Quoted:

View All Quotes
Quoted:
Quoted:
Quoted:

The fucking peanut butter shot was the worst. Everyone was limping after that motherfucker. Our TI made us sit on a tile floor and roll around on the knot to loosen it up. I felt like I was going to puke.
Link Posted: 2/1/2015 12:10:02 PM EDT
[#44]

Quoted:

View All Quotes
Quoted:

Quoted:

Quoted:

You must mean the Gama globulin shot (GG) They gave them to us in a cold hanger after getting off the plane in Korea. For the guys that missed them, I warmed it up before I gave them a shot. No point in putting stuff the consistency of adhesive caulk into somebody's ass unless it was an officer.

Link Posted: 2/1/2015 12:30:06 PM EDT
[#45]
Interesting.

Thanks for posting,
Link Posted: 2/1/2015 12:37:07 PM EDT
[#46]
Thanks for the heads-up.
Link Posted: 2/1/2015 12:44:00 PM EDT
[#47]
I topped off my MMR/DPT vax about five years ago after getting a nice puncture wound.
Link Posted: 2/1/2015 12:49:00 PM EDT
[#48]
Quoted:
View Quote

That's the smallpox vaccine. It's a modified live virus administered with a bifurcated needle that creates a vaccination lesion which often leaves a scar.
Link Posted: 2/1/2015 12:49:51 PM EDT
[#49]
Thanks for the PSA.
Link Posted: 2/1/2015 12:51:40 PM EDT
[#50]
Tested 14 years ago, had an extra MMR shot then.
Arrow Left Previous Page
Page / 2
Close Join Our Mail List to Stay Up To Date! Win a FREE Membership!

Sign up for the ARFCOM weekly newsletter and be entered to win a free ARFCOM membership. One new winner* is announced every week!

You will receive an email every Friday morning featuring the latest chatter from the hottest topics, breaking news surrounding legislation, as well as exclusive deals only available to ARFCOM email subscribers.

By signing up you agree to our User Agreement. *Must have a registered ARFCOM account to win.
Top Top