Confirm Cancel
BCM
User Panel

Arrow Left Previous Page
Page / 3
Posted: 1/30/2015 4:25:58 PM EDT
The gun is AMAZING.  

Backgroud:

-been shooting guns for 25 years/ average shooter with mostly steel trained targets...I really hate indoor ranges.

-Mostly steel and mostly HK until 2 years ago when I bought a 17 and 26. (I switched to Glock because I began carrying and loved the 26.  Just a nice gun)

-6 months ago, I began hitting INDOOR ranges and started shooting paper which I noticed that I really sucked at precision with the 17.

-decided to try to "fix" the Glock perfection

I never shot Glocks well but was mostly low left in the 2-3 ring but I never could figure out WHY it WASNT consistent groupings-I continued to work out the variables.  I tried Skateboard tape, new sights, Skimmer trigger and though I love the trigger, different backstraps (GeN4) I only improved a little. Something was NOT right...SURE, I accepted that I need to work on the fundamentals but come one....I was consistent with other guns, at least low left were in 1 inch groups CONSISTENTLY.  Then it occurred to me, ERGOS.

So, today I shot the HK.  Ergos were inherently addressed with this gun...and I mean BIG TIME.  

RESULTS"

at 25ft-I shot 4 mags of 15, each getting a new target after one mag.  

After a 2 mag adjustment to the gun, the groupings went from 3-4 inch low 2-3" STRAIGHT DOWN to the final 2 mags 1-2inch CENTER BULLS EYE.  I was like, WTF.  I FOUND NIRVANA!!

So, moral to this tale, YES, a shooter has habits and these SHOULD be transferred to all guns shot right??  I mean, if fundamentals are what you are working with, then the error should be noticed on other guns....

Well, in this case, the Glock SUCKS for me.  Ergos are all fucked up on it for ME.

Ask any indy driver, different cars act differently on the track and though the driver has the same driving ability and skill set, it makes a difference on what car they drive.  Same for your gun.

Also, IN before the, "you need to practice more on the Glock" or IN before the, "I can shoot my Glock the same as any gun...you just suck dude".

..and go.

Link Posted: 1/30/2015 4:28:52 PM EDT
[#1]
Loved my Glocks until I bought a VP9.  Now they all sit in the safe collecting dust, including my 19 with RMR.  After using my VP9 for awhile I tried to switch back to the 19 but, it literally felt like a 2x4.

I did some light stippling on my VP9 and it fits my hand perfectly.
Link Posted: 1/30/2015 4:31:57 PM EDT
[#2]
I've always wanted to try a VP9. One of these days.....
Link Posted: 1/30/2015 4:34:57 PM EDT
[#3]
All HK's need a can...
Link Posted: 1/30/2015 4:36:28 PM EDT
[#4]
I EDC a G23 and have a G35, and I love them.

I got a VP9, and as soon as I get my holster from Nightingale Leather, the Glocks will be relegated to back up status.

Faster, more accurate, better egos, etc.

I was an HK Hater prior to getting the VP9.

My dream gun would be a scaled up VP10 in 10mm…holding 12 rounds and capable of handling the original Norma loadings.

Link Posted: 1/30/2015 4:36:52 PM EDT
[#5]
If the AWB hadn't killed "service-size" pistol development for a decade....

Guns like this, the M&P, and others... introduced in the late 90s, would have sent Gaston back to shovelmaking.  
Link Posted: 1/30/2015 4:38:25 PM EDT
[#6]
Does the VP9 use that same dual recoil spring?
Link Posted: 1/30/2015 4:38:45 PM EDT
[#7]
I'm willing to try one out.  I don't think I have ever gotten my hands on one.
Link Posted: 1/30/2015 4:40:41 PM EDT
[#8]

Discussion ForumsJump to Quoted PostQuote History
Quoted:

I'm willing to try one out.  I don't think I have ever gotten my hands on one.
View Quote
Once you try one, you will buy one.

The Walther PPQ is another great one.  Fantastic trigger and ergos…but I could not find one anywhere.

Also, I REALLY like the paddle mag release on the HK…much faster and easier to use than the button on a Glock.

Link Posted: 1/30/2015 4:41:41 PM EDT
[#9]
I don't have a VP9 yet but I do have a P30 with the light LEM trigger.   I need to take a Dremel to the trigger guard, it is not kind to large hands.
Link Posted: 1/30/2015 4:42:00 PM EDT
[#10]
I plan on getting a VP9 one of these days. I'm currently running an M&P9 full size with an Apex package and it's really sweet shooting and reliable but the VP9 is one of the few handguns out on the market that really has my attention. I had a USP TACTICAL in 45 full size but traded it off because I just really didn't see anything special about it and I didn't have plans to put a can on it.

ETA: H&K would do good to offer a 17 round mag for the VP9. They would probably double their sales if they did. No reason not to really.
Link Posted: 1/30/2015 4:42:43 PM EDT
[#11]
I would try one but I have 6 Glocks and over a hundred magazines so switching isn't really an option
Link Posted: 1/30/2015 4:43:06 PM EDT
[#12]
Absolutely loved my P2000 before switching to Glocks. If the VP9 has similar ergos to the P2000 but is striker fired, that sounds quite appealing.
Link Posted: 1/30/2015 4:44:54 PM EDT
[#13]
Quoted:
I would try one but I have 6 Glocks and over a hundred magazines so switching isn't really an option
View Quote

i'm debating between the two, and this is what makes me lean towards a 17/19.  last time i checked hk mags were pure
Link Posted: 1/30/2015 4:47:00 PM EDT
[#14]
It's nice. But the Walther PPQ M2 is moar betterer.
Link Posted: 1/30/2015 4:47:53 PM EDT
[#15]
Quoted:
<snip>
My dream gun would be a scaled up VP10 in 9x25 Dillon from Speer, Winchester, or Federal 10mm…holding 12 rounds and capable of handling the original Norma loadings.
View Quote

Fixed it for me.
Link Posted: 1/30/2015 4:49:30 PM EDT
[#16]
Quoted:
<snip>
The Walther PPQ is another great one.  Fantastic trigger and ergos…but I could not find one anywhere.
<snip>
View Quote

The PPQ M1 (with lever mag release) is awesome, especially with Dawson Precision sights that do not have the silly wide rear that everyone is so enamored of.
Link Posted: 1/30/2015 4:49:42 PM EDT
[#17]
Quoted:
Does the VP9 use that same dual recoil spring?
View Quote

Nope.  Just a regular single flat coil recoil spring.
Link Posted: 1/30/2015 4:50:20 PM EDT
[#18]
Link Posted: 1/30/2015 4:53:43 PM EDT
[#19]
I love mine as well.
Link Posted: 1/30/2015 4:54:58 PM EDT
[#20]
Quoted:
View Quote

I really would love to shoot it back to back with a VP9
Link Posted: 1/30/2015 5:00:07 PM EDT
[#21]
I'm curious. How exactly did the glock ergos affect your sight picture and trigger pull?
Link Posted: 1/30/2015 5:00:38 PM EDT
[#22]
Quoted:

View Quote View All Quotes
View All Quotes
Quoted:
Quoted:

I've done so. Both are fine pistols.

The trigger on the PPQ M2 was better. Mind you, both are a massive improvement over legacy systems (Glock, M&P), so I am not saying the VP9 had a bad trigger. But I found the PPQ M2 trigger to be better, especially the reset.

The correct magazine release is also an improvement, contrary to the fanbois claims.

The PPQ M2 has more traditional innards. The trigger mechinism of the VP9 is considerably different than most other striker fired guns, and appears more complex. This may or may not be a bad thing, it will take time to tell.

In reality, both guns are amazingly similar side by side... Like, really, really similar.
Link Posted: 1/30/2015 5:08:29 PM EDT
[#23]
Quoted:

The trigger on the PPQ M2 was better. Mind you, both are a massive improvement over legacy systems (Glock, M&P), so I am not saying the VP9 had a bad trigger. But I found the PPQ M2 trigger to be better, especially the reset.

The correct magazine release is also an improvement, comtrary to the fanbois claims.

The PPQ M2 has more traditional innards. The trigger mechinism of the VP9 is considerably different than most other striker fired guns, and appears more complex. This may or may not be a bad thing, it will take time to tell.

In reality, both guns are amazingly similar side by side... Like, really, really similar.
View All Quotes
Quoted:
Quoted:
Quoted:

The correct magazine release is also an improvement, comtrary to the fanbois claims.

We agree with the bolded last part--with the exception that all the extra customizations you can do to the VP9 grip can make a difference for some people.

We disagree on the rest of your post. (Me 6' 1" and fiancee 5' 4") We have both, plus a P99c QA. The QA in single action is probably "most best". But we thought the VP9 trigger was slightly better than the PPQ, but there isn't enough difference between the three triggers to matter, for most practical purposes. VP9 trigger had best reset for us--again, there isn't really a big difference between the three that most people are going to detect--they all have "normal" resets.

We prefer the lever magazine release, especially since my fiancee has little, bitty hands. YMMV (both in release preferences and fiancee hand size.)

Fiancee preferred the PPQ slide release but was OK with the VP9 slide release.

VP9 comes with much better sights (either the huge green dot sights or the night sights) for us. The PPQ comes with rear sights that have a huge rear notch--you can fit the front sight in it three times. That's too big for us. YMMV, again.
Link Posted: 1/30/2015 5:13:28 PM EDT
[#24]

My Glock 17 is the only Glock I own.  Can't shoot the thing for shit.  Looks like I need a VP9!

Link Posted: 1/30/2015 5:15:00 PM EDT
[#25]
Quoted:

We agree with the bolded last part--with the exception that all the extra customizations you can do to the VP9 grip can make a difference for some people.

We disagree on the rest of your post. (Me 6' 1" and fiancee 5' 4") We have both, plus a P99c QA. The QA in single action is probably "most best". But we thought the VP9 trigger was slightly better than the PPQ, but there isn't enough difference between the three triggers to matter, for most practical purposes. VP9 trigger had best reset for us--again, there isn't really a big difference between the three that most people are going to detect--they all have "normal" resets.

We prefer the lever magazine release, especially since my fiancee has little, bitty hands. YMMV (both in release preferences and fiancee hand size.)

VP9 comes with much better sights (either the huge green dot sights or the night sights) for us. The PPQ comes with rear sights that have a huge rear notch--you can fit the front sight in it three times. That's too big for us. YMMV, again.
View All Quotes
Quoted:
Quoted:
Quoted:
Quoted:

The sights on the PPQ are indeed crap and require replacement in my opinion... But I replace all sights anyway at the first chance, so that kind of factors out for me.

Agreed on the PPQ slide release being better.

The difference in triggers might come down to the specific guns being compared. The triggers on the VP9 and PPQ M2 are both nice enough that I could see that being the case.
Link Posted: 1/30/2015 5:18:42 PM EDT
[#26]
Quoted:
All HK's need a can...
View Quote

This.
Link Posted: 1/30/2015 5:26:39 PM EDT
[#27]
Quoted:
I'm curious. How exactly did the glock ergos affect your sight picture and trigger pull?
View Quote

They don't point well for people who learned on just about anything else.

Try closing your eyes, and bring the gun up to a target & look at your sight picture. For people who learned on guns with a more traditional grip angle, they point high.
If you are constantly trying to force yourself to unlearn what was your natural point while you're shooting, you probably won't shoot well.

I have to pay close attention when I shoot Glocks.
Link Posted: 1/30/2015 5:29:07 PM EDT
[#28]
Now I'm just waiting on them to come out with a compact or subcompact VP9.  

Link Posted: 1/30/2015 5:30:17 PM EDT
[#29]
Link Posted: 1/30/2015 5:32:08 PM EDT
[#30]
Link Posted: 1/30/2015 5:33:23 PM EDT
[#31]
Quoted:
View Quote

Multi-year IDPA and USPSA shooter here.

I shoot high and to the left with glocks.  ( I've owned or own a  17 / 19 / 21 / 22 / 23 / 34 - So I've given them their fair shot.)

I shoot just a tiny bit high and to the left with M&P's.  (Shoot an M&P 9 pro series right now in IDPA / USPA - own a regular 9, compact 9, 45 full size and shield.)

So far, with my VP9 - I shoot about dead on.  If anything, just a little high.

My ammo for the past 2 years have been bayou bullet 130gr 9mm.   Or bayou 200gr SWC 45.
Link Posted: 1/30/2015 5:34:51 PM EDT
[#32]
Love mine.  It's the best polymer gun out there right now.
Link Posted: 1/30/2015 5:35:02 PM EDT
[#33]
Quoted:
<snip>
The sights on the PPQ are indeed crap and require replacement in my opinion... But I replace all sights anyway at the first chance, so that kind of factors out for me.
<snip>
View Quote

We agree, we usually replace any sight that comes on a gun--the problem was that, other than a LPA adjustable (like on the CZ-85), at one time, there wasn't anything that didn't have a huge rear notch for the PPQ. Even now, only the Dawson's have anything resembling a fitted (traditional? whatever the word is) notch. (I don't know about fiber optic sights.)
Link Posted: 1/30/2015 5:35:27 PM EDT
[#34]
I just picked up a VP 9 from my LGS yesterday. Was a Gunbroker purchase. Can't wait to shoot it. Mags are
non existent right now due to it's popularity. I have already noticed neckbearding of mags on the auctions
etc....$65+.

On the H&K forum there is a guy (actually active duty Marine officer who is an HK armorer in NC) that I am sending
my slide to for mounting of some Dawson fiber optic sights soon.
Link Posted: 1/30/2015 5:36:03 PM EDT
[#35]
Yeah, it's a decent gun. Not my favorite, but I'll keep mine.
Link Posted: 1/30/2015 5:36:24 PM EDT
[#36]
Quoted:
I just picked up a VP 9 from my LGS yesterday. Was a Gunbroker purchase. Can't wait to shoot it. Mags are
non existent right now due to it's popularity. I have already noticed neckbearding of mags on the auctions
etc....$65+.

On the H&K forum there is a guy (actually active duty Marine officer who is an HK armorer in NC) that I am sending
View Quote

I had 5 P30 mags
Link Posted: 1/30/2015 5:38:28 PM EDT
[#37]
Quoted:

I had 5 P30 mags
View All Quotes
Quoted:
Quoted:
etc....$65+.

I had 5 P30 mags

Yep. It will be pick up a few here and there for me...but only at decent prices LOL. Waaaay back in the
day I had a USP 40 when they first came out..heck mags for that bad boy were like $40-50 bucks
each best I can remember.
Link Posted: 1/30/2015 5:41:59 PM EDT
[#38]

That is damn good. With a decent ffl, thats easily 600$ after transfer
Link Posted: 1/30/2015 5:56:56 PM EDT
[#39]
Love mine..got the LE pkg too..put 1k rounds 124 Gr NA TO thru in one sitting.  Not one issue.

Still love my HK45 though

Link Posted: 1/30/2015 6:41:27 PM EDT
[#40]
Quoted:

I shoot high and to the left with glocks.  ( I've owned or own a  17 / 19 / 21 / 22 / 23 / 34 - So I've given them their fair shot.)

I shoot just a tiny bit high and to the left with M&P's.  (Shoot an M&P 9 pro series right now in IDPA / USPA - own a regular 9, compact 9, 45 full size and shield.)

My ammo for the past 2 years have been bayou bullet 130gr 9mm.   Or bayou 200gr SWC 45.
View All Quotes
Quoted:
Quoted:

If you shoot consistently a certain way with a certain gun, why not change the sights to match POA to POI?    

Quoted:

They don't point well for people who learned on just about anything else.

Try closing your eyes, and bring the gun up to a target & look at your sight picture. For people who learned on guns with a more traditional grip angle, they point high.
If you are constantly trying to force yourself to unlearn what was your natural point while you're shooting, you probably won't shoot well.

I have to pay close attention when I shoot Glocks.

This is no more a problem then learning DA/SA, flipping off a manual safety or whatever the particular idiosyncrasies of any gun are.  Fixed with minimal levels of effort.
Link Posted: 1/30/2015 6:47:30 PM EDT
[#41]
Quoted:

View All Quotes
Quoted:

No, THIS is a good deal... $528 cash price.
http://www.narkguns.com/heckler-koch-vp9-striker-fired-pistol-m700009-a5-9mm-409-in-polymer-grip-h-km700009a5.html?___SID=U
Link Posted: 1/30/2015 7:00:32 PM EDT
[#42]
View All Quotes
Quoted:
Quoted:

No, THIS is a good deal... $528 cash price.
http://www.narkguns.com/heckler-koch-vp9-striker-fired-pistol-m700009-a5-9mm-409-in-polymer-grip-h-km700009a5.html?___SID=U

Yes it is.
Link Posted: 1/30/2015 7:40:18 PM EDT
[#43]
Good for you, op. My USP is like that for me. It just flat out hits what I aim at.
Link Posted: 1/30/2015 8:10:39 PM EDT
[#44]
Quoted:
The gun is AMAZING.  

Backgroud:
-been shooting guns for 25 years/ average shooter with mostly steel trained targets...I really hate indoor ranges.
-Mostly steel and mostly HK until 2 years ago when I bought a 17 and 26. (I switched to Glock because I began carrying and loved the 26.  Just a nice gun)
-6 months ago, I began hitting INDOOR ranges and started shooting paper which I noticed that I really sucked at precision with the 17.
-decided to try to "fix" the Glock perfection

I never shot Glocks well but was mostly low left in the 2-3 ring but I never could figure out WHY it WASNT consistent groupings-I continued to work out the variables.  I tried Skateboard tape, new sights, Skimmer trigger and though I love the trigger, different backstraps (GeN4) I only improved a little. Something was NOT right...SURE, I accepted that I need to work on the fundamentals but come one....I was consistent with other guns, at least low left were in 1 inch groups CONSISTENTLY.  Then it occurred to me, ERGOS.

So, today I shot the HK.  Ergos were inherently addressed with this gun...and I mean BIG TIME.  

RESULTS"

at 25ft-I shot 4 mags of 15, each getting a new target after one mag.  

After a 2 mag adjustment to the gun, the groupings went from 3-4 inch low 2-3" STRAIGHT DOWN to the final 2 mags 1-2inch CENTER BULLS EYE.  I was like, WTF.  I FOUND NIRVANA!!

So, moral to this tale, YES, a shooter has habits and these SHOULD be transferred to all guns shot right??  I mean, if fundamentals are what you are working with, then the error should be noticed on other guns....

Well, in this case, the Glock SUCKS for me.  Ergos are all fucked up on it for ME.

Ask any indy driver, different cars act differently on the track and though the driver has the same driving ability and skill set, it makes a difference on what car they drive.  Same for your gun.

Also, IN before the, "you need to practice more on the Glock" or IN before the, "I can shoot my Glock the same as any gun...you just suck dude".

..and go.

View Quote

Didn't you have a thread asking if you should sell a glock for a VP9?

I said yes.

Glad it worked out. I love mine. It really is better than a glock, but there are people who hate H&K, and those that think there are no guns other than glocks.
Link Posted: 1/30/2015 8:12:25 PM EDT
[#45]
Damn you people; I'm looking for reasons NOT to buy one
Link Posted: 1/30/2015 8:23:47 PM EDT
[#46]

Quoted:

View Quote
Do it. You could be the first person to make one fail in the FEMA swamp.

Link Posted: 1/30/2015 8:30:20 PM EDT
[#47]
Quoted:
View Quote

Do it!

There is one left for that $560 price above. But then there is $30 shipping and near me transfers are $20-30. So it's more like $620, which is still a good price. I paid $650 for mine and think it is worth that price. Plus once I picked it up I knew I had do have it then, so that always costs a little more hahaha
Link Posted: 1/31/2015 12:38:50 AM EDT
[#48]
Quoted:
View Quote

Buy one, I love mine!
Link Posted: 1/31/2015 12:59:54 AM EDT
[#49]
I want to try one.
Link Posted: 1/31/2015 1:21:24 AM EDT
[#50]

Quoted:

View Quote
Dam fucking 2x4 and readjusting after every other shot. This adds slight variables in your shooting and for me, enough to make the experience miserable.  There is a reason why there are so many aftermarket custom shops selling retooling of Glock grips.

I don't buy the "sight picture and trigger pull" only argument. There are other physical and physiological factors that are at play in a human shooter. Ergos help to diminish stress on the shooters anxiety which lowers over gripping and trigger pushing errors.

Arrow Left Previous Page
Page / 3
Close Join Our Mail List to Stay Up To Date! Win a FREE Membership!

Sign up for the ARFCOM weekly newsletter and be entered to win a free ARFCOM membership. One new winner* is announced every week!

You will receive an email every Friday morning featuring the latest chatter from the hottest topics, breaking news surrounding legislation, as well as exclusive deals only available to ARFCOM email subscribers.

By signing up you agree to our User Agreement. *Must have a registered ARFCOM account to win.
Top Top