Are you sure you wish to do this?

Confirm Cancel
BCM
User Panel

Arrow Left Previous Page
Page / 4
Posted: 1/30/2015 11:05:52 AM EDT
http://www.mprnews.org/story/2015/01/29/body-cameras

Quoted:A bill introduced in the Minnesota House on Thursday would keep any videos recorded by police body cameras private, alarming those who say it would hinder efforts to hold police accountable.
View Quote

Link Posted: 1/30/2015 11:09:08 AM EDT
[#1]
Private? What does that even mean?

Does that mean unavailable to a FOIA request?

I don't think they should be public, but they should be available.
Link Posted: 1/30/2015 11:18:03 AM EDT
[#2]
Good.

Basement dwelling Tommy doesn't need to be able to request videos of some of the shit cops see. Why would a video of me finding a father who hung himself or a father who slit his wrists in the bathtub with his family downstairs need to be made public?
Link Posted: 1/30/2015 11:21:00 AM EDT
[#3]
They should be live streamed to U stream. I would pay to watch live stream policing in the Ghetto or white trash areas. Its like COPS.... but live.
Link Posted: 1/30/2015 11:23:07 AM EDT
[#4]
Discussion ForumsJump to Quoted PostQuote History
Quoted:
Good.

Basement dwelling Tommy doesn't need to be able to request videos of some of the shit cops see. Why would a video of me finding a father who hung himself or a father who slit his wrists in the bathtub with his family downstairs need to be made public?
View Quote

Some here hate cops so bad they would give up your privacy in the hopes of catching 1% of police taking a doughnut without paying.
Link Posted: 1/30/2015 11:24:16 AM EDT
[#5]
They should be available like anything under FOIA.

Certain parts will be redacted due to court cases, some will be redacted due to keeping TTPs less well known, and some will benefit the public and LEOs to release, etc.  this is not rocket science.

ALL of it?  No.  

NONE of it?  Also, no.

Link Posted: 1/30/2015 11:25:15 AM EDT
[#6]
Quoted:
They should be live streamed to U stream. I would pay to watch live stream policing in the Ghetto or white trash areas. Its like COPS.... but live.
View Quote

Me too
Link Posted: 1/30/2015 11:30:28 AM EDT
[#7]
Quoted:
Good.

View Quote

I disagree somewhat, it should be available upon request as it pertains to a certain event and only if it does not jeopardize an investigation. I do agree that some basement dweller does not need it because he more than likely wants to post the stuff on the internet. It also makes public people's homes and can show explicitly a person at their lowest or most embarrassing moment of their life where the dry prose of a report can take the edge off. I'm all about accountability but there should be something in place to safeguard people's privacy and dignity.

Posted Via AR15.Com Mobile
Link Posted: 1/30/2015 11:31:59 AM EDT
[#8]

Quoted:

I disagree somewhat, it should be available upon request as it pertains to a certain event and only if it does not jeopardize an investigation. I do agree that some basement dweller does not need it because he more than likely wants to post the stuff on the internet. It also makes public people's homes and can show explicitly a person at their lowest or most embarrassing moment of their life where the dry prose of a report can take the edge off. I'm all about accountability but there should be something in place to safeguard people's privacy and dignity.

View Quote View All Quotes
View All Quotes
Quoted:

Quoted:

Good.

That's where I'm at. (I think you are both saying the same thing, FWIW)

Link Posted: 1/30/2015 11:39:53 AM EDT
[#9]
If its unavailable as evidence, its worthless.  

That said, it should be available for pending cases only.
Link Posted: 1/30/2015 11:40:58 AM EDT
[#10]
Quoted:

View Quote

exactly this.
Link Posted: 1/30/2015 11:41:33 AM EDT
[#11]
Publicly funded cams worn by public servants while performing their duties should be public.

If you are arrested the police blotter puts your name in the paper. If you are the victim of a crime, your privacy is preserved (somewhat). This is just new media replacing the printed blotter.
Link Posted: 1/30/2015 11:44:42 AM EDT
[#12]
Quoted:

Some here hate cops so bad they would give up your privacy in the hopes of catching 1% of police taking a doughnut without paying.
View All Quotes
Quoted:
Quoted:
Good.

It has nothing to do with "his privacy" he works on the public's dime therefore he gives up his privacy when on duty, just like the rest of us.
Link Posted: 1/30/2015 11:45:29 AM EDT
[#13]
Quoted:
Good.

View Quote

I agree with you on that point. But when you pull over Jon Q. Citizen and shoot him for no reason other than "thinking" he has a gun.... The video needs to be public

Flame away
Link Posted: 1/30/2015 11:46:12 AM EDT
[#14]

Quoted:

Publicly funded cams worn by public servants while performing their duties should be public.

If you are arrested the police blotter puts your name in the paper. If you are the victim of a crime, your privacy is preserved (somewhat). This is just new media replacing the printed blotter.
View Quote
Not even in the same ballpark.

I don't need you violating my privacy because the police come to my home to take a report.
Link Posted: 1/30/2015 11:47:09 AM EDT
[#15]
Quoted:

View Quote

Yuo.  IMHO it shoiuld be by court order with very few exceptions.

Link Posted: 1/30/2015 11:47:35 AM EDT
[#16]
In for the authority grudges.

Link Posted: 1/30/2015 11:48:26 AM EDT
[#17]
Quoted:

View Quote

Your own post shows why they shouldn't be oublic since police routinely contact victims.

Link Posted: 1/30/2015 11:48:34 AM EDT
[#18]
I'm ok with this. Too many people doing FOIAs on large batches of videos just to put them on YouTube etc.

If you need it for legal reasons that's one thing, of you want to stick your nose in everyone else's privacy that's another.
Link Posted: 1/30/2015 11:48:36 AM EDT
[#19]
Quoted:

View All Quotes
Quoted:
Quoted:
Good.

A public employee needs privacy?
Link Posted: 1/30/2015 11:50:18 AM EDT
[#20]
Link Posted: 1/30/2015 11:51:04 AM EDT
[#21]
Quoted:

View All Quotes
Quoted:
Quoted:
Quoted:
Good.

Reading, how is it done?
Link Posted: 1/30/2015 11:52:40 AM EDT
[#22]
Quoted:

I agree with you on that point. But when you pull over Jon Q. Citizen and shoot him for no reason other than "thinking" he has a gun.... The video needs to be public

Flame away
View All Quotes
Quoted:
Quoted:
Good.

Flame away

I agree with that it's just a huge can of worms as to who decides what videos would be public.  Call a cop to your house to report your car stolen? Now you and all your property is posted on the internet. Wife gets in a bad car wreck and is mangled? Her body/remains are recorded on my camera for all to see.

I just think it would be hard to say "only this" can be released and "not that."  Your son overdosed? His body is now released for all to see. It's just a bad situation all around to figure that out. Not to mention all the time cops spend in hospitals and whatnot.
Link Posted: 1/30/2015 11:52:48 AM EDT
[#23]
Quoted:

Reading, how is it done?
View All Quotes
Quoted:
Quoted:
Quoted:
Quoted:
Good.

Reading, how is it done?

Exactly you need to read it again.

He is replying to a cop, "your" when used to respond to a certain person, means that person. In this case that person is a cop.
Link Posted: 1/30/2015 11:55:31 AM EDT
[#24]
Quoted:

I don't need you violating my privacy because the police come to my home to take a report.
View All Quotes
Quoted:
Quoted:

in the context of my previous post, your report-filing would be grouped in with protecting the privacy of victims of crimes, I guess that wasn't clear.

Perhaps the duration of an interview etc, should be up to the interviewed party. A police officer could check that box EASY, just ask if they want the footage sealed or public, and do they want a copy of the footage made available to them for counsel or?

These police cams will be an industry changer, processing and catologueing all of the raw data will become a career on it's own.
Link Posted: 1/30/2015 11:57:59 AM EDT
[#25]
Quoted:

View Quote

I like this.

If there is a specific complaint, the footage gets reviewed by a grand jury and adjudicated from there.

The everyday mundane footage and non specific footage gets recycled/dumped every 30 days.

If there is evidentury value, fine, the legal system has access, otherwise.........piss off.
Link Posted: 1/30/2015 12:03:58 PM EDT
[#26]
Quoted:

These police cams will be an industry changer, processing and catologueing all of the raw data will become a career on it's own.
View Quote

QFT. I've said it before, this is not as simple an issue as some people make it out to be.
Link Posted: 1/30/2015 12:04:46 PM EDT
[#27]
Quoted:

I like this.

If there is a specific complaint, the footage gets reviewed by a grand jury and adjudicated from there.

The everyday mundane footage and non specific footage gets recycled/dumped every 30 days.

If there is evidentury value, fine, the legal system has access, otherwise.........piss off.
View All Quotes
Quoted:
Quoted:

I like this.

Why? What are they trying to hide?
Link Posted: 1/30/2015 12:05:10 PM EDT
[#28]
Quoted:

View All Quotes
Quoted:
Quoted:
Quoted:
Good.

Citizens need privacy?
Link Posted: 1/30/2015 12:05:22 PM EDT
[#29]
Quoted:

View Quote

Just because its "publicly funded" does not make everything public property.  You cannot walk into a police station and go up to anyone's desk and start rifling through it.  Same with cameras.  There is way too much stuff on there not pertaining to crimes at all or pertains to victims who do not need to be re-victimized.  

I believe the real reason for the bill is because FOIA requests for camera footage will absolutely break the budgets of most departments, including the state, due to the massive amount of manpower and time necessary to go through hours and hours of video to redact, etc.  And for those who say "tough shit!" remember that the manpower is TAXPAYER funded.  Meaning YOUR money.  Or a lot more of it actually.
Link Posted: 1/30/2015 12:07:32 PM EDT
[#30]
Quoted:

exactly this.
View All Quotes
Quoted:
Quoted:

exactly this.

agreed .

gd
Link Posted: 1/30/2015 12:08:12 PM EDT
[#31]
Half of the reason for police cams is to apply a check to the power of government. If the footage is private, how can we the people keep tabs on them?

Make no mistake, the 2nd ammendment and all of those AR15's exist to keep the state and government fair and balanced. In that equation, government overreach is the eternal foe, and these men in blue are the agents of that enemy.

The body cam could be the most powerful tool to date in preserving liberty; if we give that tool expressly to the foe of liberty in its entiriety, they won't hesitate to use that tool to further divide and subjugate "we the people"

Link Posted: 1/30/2015 12:10:05 PM EDT
[#32]
Quoted:

It has nothing to do with "his privacy" he works on the public's dime therefore he gives up his privacy when on duty, just like the rest of us.
View All Quotes
Quoted:
Quoted:

And that phone call to home while on his break? Should we be privy to that as well? Public Servants as well as private employees do have privacy rights as well. The public should have access to what is pertinent, such as arrests, etc.
Link Posted: 1/30/2015 12:10:13 PM EDT
[#33]
Quoted:

View All Quotes
Quoted:
Quoted:
Quoted:
Good.

Reading is fundamental
Link Posted: 1/30/2015 12:11:19 PM EDT
[#34]
Quoted:

QFT. I've said it before, this is not as simple an issue as some people make it out to be.
View All Quotes
Quoted:
Quoted:

There are technological answers that could make it easy.  Choose wisely to drive the lifecycle cost down.

Link Posted: 1/30/2015 12:12:35 PM EDT
[#35]

Quoted:

There are technological answers that could make it easy.  Choose wisely to drive the lifecycle cost down.

View All Quotes
Quoted:

Quoted:

Quoted:

Nothing is chosen wisely when municipalities pick technology.

Link Posted: 1/30/2015 12:15:26 PM EDT
[#36]
Quoted:

View All Quotes
Quoted:
Quoted:
Quoted:
Good.

I don't understand how this post is so difficult to understand. Maybe it's just your bias showing.
Link Posted: 1/30/2015 12:19:05 PM EDT
[#37]
Quoted:

He is replying to a cop, "your" when used to respond to a certain person, means that person. In this case that person is a cop.
View All Quotes
Quoted:
Quoted:
Quoted:
Quoted:
Quoted:
Good.

Reading, how is it done?

What makes you think he knows he's a cop. It seems pretty clear he is referring to victims.

Edit

On further examination he mentions a video of me. So maybe that was his point.
Link Posted: 1/30/2015 12:22:08 PM EDT
[#38]
It's a cost-benefit analysis, at its root.  If the costs of editing out juveniles faces and other images that can't be released exceed the amount we are likely to pay in a lawsuit or for legal fees associated with a suit, the cameras will get taken away and there will be NO video.  The "release everything" crowd on here is just as dumb as the "make the minimum wage $15.00 an hour so everyone can have a living wage," crew is her in CA.  Who is going to pay for all of these extra employees needed to honor FOIA requests?  For my 25 officer department, the cameras, docks and equipment cost over $40,000, initially.  At our projected data use, cloud storage is $30,000 per year.  That figured keeping video not related to a case or complaint for 30 days and deleting.  Now, we have received legal advice to keep all video for 2 years because the statute of limitations for filing a civil case is 2 years in CA.  That more than doubles our cloud storage cost.  If we get a bunch of FOIA requests, I predict we will cease using the cameras.  In criminal cases, the video is provided to the defense and the prosecution.  The media has not asked for video, yet.
Link Posted: 1/30/2015 12:27:26 PM EDT
[#39]
The bulk of footage should be public. I pay village taxes and we have a village PD force (I generally regard them as HIGHLY professional, our chief was in the top 5 best paid nationwide, most officers conduct reflects this) collectively our community should get some insight into how our tax money gets spent.

One of my gradeschool buddies dad is a local Sgt. His car will often be parked outfront of their home(no take home cars); it's not unusual to see him driving laps around our communities perimeter rd for the last hour of his shift, gotta get that shift mileage up!!

Another officer I recognise often parks his car in a low traffic area for long stretches of time. Maybe he's doing a show of force for traffic pattens, getting people to stop and signal... Or maybe he's wasting my tax money.

The cops want these cams private for their OWN privacy, but they will use our own privacy as justification to hide behind.
Link Posted: 1/30/2015 12:28:44 PM EDT
[#40]
Quoted:

Reading, how is it done?
View All Quotes
Quoted:
Quoted:
Quoted:
Quoted:
Good.

Reading, how is it done?

I am referring to victims, witnesses, and those still not found guilty of anything.  If I'm arrested, I haven't been found guilty of anything.  But images from my arrest are now like piss in a swimming pool on the interwebs.

Link Posted: 1/30/2015 12:32:43 PM EDT
[#41]
Quoted:
It's a cost-benefit analysis, at its root.  If the costs of editing out juveniles faces and other images that can't be released exceed the amount we are likely to pay in a lawsuit or for legal fees associated with a suit, the cameras will get taken away and there will be NO video.  The "release everything" crowd on here is just as dumb as the "make the minimum wage $15.00 an hour so everyone can have a living wage," crew is her in CA.  Who is going to pay for all of these extra employees needed to honor FOIA requests?  For my 25 officer department, the cameras, docks and equipment cost over $40,000, initially.  At our projected data use, cloud storage is $30,000 per year.  That figured keeping video not related to a case or complaint for 30 days and deleting.  Now, we have received legal advice to keep all video for 2 years because the statute of limitations for filing a civil case is 2 years in CA.  That more than doubles our cloud storage cost.  If we get a bunch of FOIA requests, I predict we will cease using the cameras.  In criminal cases, the video is provided to the defense and the prosecution.  The media has not asked for video, yet.
View Quote

You will.
Link Posted: 1/30/2015 12:33:34 PM EDT
[#42]

Quoted:

The bulk of footage should be public. I pay village taxes and we have a village PD force (I generally regard them as HIGHLY professional, our chief was in the top 5 best paid nationwide, most officers conduct reflects this) collectively our community should get some insight into how our tax money gets spent. As long as there is no private citizen info in the videos, I couldn't care less about them available for request.

One of my gradeschool buddies dad is a local Sgt. His car will often be parked outfront of their home(no take home cars); it's not unusual to see him driving laps around our communities perimeter rd for the last hour of his shift, gotta get that shift mileage up!! You have no idea what you're talking about. Shift Mileage? LOL I love it when people make up shit.

Another officer I recognise often parks his car in a low traffic area for long stretches of time. Maybe he's doing a show of force for traffic pattens, getting people to stop and signal... Or maybe he's wasting my tax money. Or maybe he's doing paperwork? Waiting for a call?

The cops want these cams private for their OWN privacy, but they will use our own privacy as justification to hide behind. I don't give a shit about privacy while on duty, no one else does either. I give a shit about the privacy of a guy who I'm stopping or who I'm taking a report from. They don't need some voyeur assclown looking over my shoulder at their personal details.

View Quote

Link Posted: 1/30/2015 12:36:02 PM EDT
[#43]
Kinda defeats the purpose of the public outcry for law enforcement bodycams. Anyway, I'm sure after all cops have body cams when a questionable incident happens the footage will mysteriously disappear or somehow have mysteriously degraded and be un-viewable or something like that.
Remember, the government keeps telling us citizens "if you have nothing to hide, then you have nothing to fear." Apparently they don't want that advice to be applicable to themselves.

Edited to add: after working around law enforcement for decades, and often dealing with the same "caliber" people that they do, I imagine that 99.99% of the footage taken via an officer's bodycam will support the officers accounting of what transpired and will silence the race-baiters like Sharpton, Jackson, and Obama. But the 0.01% that will incriminate the officer(s) in bad behavior/decisions will be damning to their department and force.

Link Posted: 1/30/2015 12:36:26 PM EDT
[#44]
Cop paid for his/her own camera...ok, it's private.

If I paid for the camera (my tax dollars) fork it over, the video is MINE.
Link Posted: 1/30/2015 12:37:23 PM EDT
[#45]

Quoted:

View Quote

I disagree with both of those.

Link Posted: 1/30/2015 12:40:30 PM EDT
[#46]
Quoted:

View All Quotes
Quoted:
Quoted:
Quoted:

I like this.

If they have nothing to hide....

Txl
Link Posted: 1/30/2015 12:41:25 PM EDT
[#47]

Quoted:

View Quote
I'm no attorney, but I'd imagine it would be construed as evidence in either situation. And then existing laws governing evidence would apply to public access.

Link Posted: 1/30/2015 12:42:25 PM EDT
[#48]
Locally we have folks doing FOIA requests for "ALL THE VIDEO" from local departments. In another case, a local county is dealing with a FOIA request for "every document, recording, and video the county has since 1776".

Link Posted: 1/30/2015 12:43:06 PM EDT
[#49]
Quoted:
View All Quotes
Quoted:
Quoted:
Quoted:
Quoted:

Ain't that the truth.  A year-old request for authorization to purchase three sub-$300 tablets to enable a certain unit to have field access to certain databases has finally been answered........by someone from the city's version of IT showing up yesterday with three $800+ desktops, complete with large monitors, speakers, etc.
Link Posted: 1/30/2015 12:44:33 PM EDT
[#50]
Quoted:
Locally we have folks doing FOIA requests for "ALL THE VIDEO" from local departments. In another case, a local county is dealing with a FOIA request for "every document, recording, and video the county has since 1776".

View Quote

Has anyone mentioned that that's over a hundred years too optimistic?
Arrow Left Previous Page
Page / 4
Close Join Our Mail List to Stay Up To Date! Win a FREE Membership!

Sign up for the ARFCOM weekly newsletter and be entered to win a free ARFCOM membership. One new winner* is announced every week!

You will receive an email every Friday morning featuring the latest chatter from the hottest topics, breaking news surrounding legislation, as well as exclusive deals only available to ARFCOM email subscribers.

By signing up you agree to our User Agreement. *Must have a registered ARFCOM account to win.
Top Top