Are you sure you wish to do this?

Confirm Cancel
BCM
User Panel

Arrow Left Previous Page
Page / 19
Posted: 1/29/2015 12:19:19 AM EDT
Am I a thug yet?

*We have been instructed by international to strike tonight at midnight 12/8/15. We have our people in order to stand on picket lines.

Link Posted: 1/29/2015 12:21:51 AM EDT
[#1]
Probably.

What are they itching to strike about?
Link Posted: 1/29/2015 12:22:22 AM EDT
[#2]
Are you going to beat the scabs?

Are you going to stick it to the man?

You could be my new hero.
Link Posted: 1/29/2015 12:23:12 AM EDT
[#3]
Discussion ForumsJump to Quoted PostQuote History
Quoted:
Are you going to beat the scabs?
View Quote

Link Posted: 1/29/2015 12:23:52 AM EDT
[#4]
How does it feel to hate free markets?
Link Posted: 1/29/2015 12:25:28 AM EDT
[#5]
Mind if I cross the line?

Hopefully, everyone striking will get fired.  

Txl
Link Posted: 1/29/2015 12:35:22 AM EDT
[#6]
An Oil Bargaining guy, eh?
Link Posted: 1/29/2015 12:36:55 AM EDT
[#7]
Steel ?
Link Posted: 1/29/2015 12:38:33 AM EDT
[#8]
Quoted:
Are you going to beat the scabs? We have to. Its in our bi-laws.

Are you going to stick it to the man? Im union. I do it every day.

You could be my new hero. I will be.
View Quote
Link Posted: 1/29/2015 12:39:27 AM EDT
[#9]
Quoted:
Steel ?
View Quote

Oil
Link Posted: 1/29/2015 12:39:51 AM EDT
[#10]
Quoted:
How does it feel to hate free markets?
View Quote

It feel good, comrade.
Link Posted: 1/29/2015 12:40:51 AM EDT
[#11]
Quoted:
Probably.

View Quote

I'm sure it's something important, like more free shit
Link Posted: 1/29/2015 12:42:34 AM EDT
[#12]
Quoted:

Oil
View Quote View All Quotes
View All Quotes
Quoted:
Quoted:
Steel ?

Oil

You are involved in the oil industry and you are going on strike?  That doesn't seem very wise with the current price of oil.
Link Posted: 1/29/2015 12:43:17 AM EDT
[#13]
I wouldn't get your hopes up for a strike. Only teachers unions strike anymore.  It's hard to outsource a school to Mexico. It never works out good for plant managers or the bargaining unit if there is not an tentative. Most contracts are agreed apon in the eleventh hour anyway in my experience.
Link Posted: 1/29/2015 12:43:39 AM EDT
[#14]
Quoted:

You are involved in the oil industry and you are going on strike?  That doesn't seem very wise with the current price of oil.
View All Quotes
Quoted:
Quoted:
Quoted:
Steel ?

Oil

You say "you" as if its my idea. Trust me, its not...
Link Posted: 1/29/2015 12:44:36 AM EDT
[#15]
Quoted:
I wouldn't get your hopes up for a strike. Only teachers unions strike anymore.  It's hard to outsource a school to Mexico. It never works out good for plant managers or the bargaining unit if there is not an tentative. Most contracts are agreed apon in the eleventh hour anyway in my experience.
View Quote

Thats what happened 3 years ago. We got a call about 5 till midnight saying report to work Monday. I expect more of the same this time around.
Link Posted: 1/29/2015 12:45:06 AM EDT
[#16]
Someone has to protect the incompetent.
Link Posted: 1/29/2015 12:45:17 AM EDT
[#17]
The threat of a strike is a better weapon than actually striking.  It's been a long time since I've seen a strike where the workers ended up ahead of the game when the dust finally settles.
Link Posted: 1/29/2015 12:46:19 AM EDT
[#18]
Quoted:
View Quote

We do have more than our fair share of those. A lot of hard workers/ smart guys though too.
Link Posted: 1/29/2015 12:47:50 AM EDT
[#19]
You should break peoples legs who cross the picket line
Link Posted: 1/29/2015 12:48:50 AM EDT
[#20]

Quoted:
We do have more than our fair share of those. A lot of hard workers/ smart guys though too.
View All Quotes
Quoted:

Quoted:

About 1 in 5 in my experience.Smart guys.

Link Posted: 1/29/2015 12:49:32 AM EDT
[#21]
Sat in on a conference call tonight with the Negotiators on the Union side.

Not looking good.
Link Posted: 1/29/2015 12:51:01 AM EDT
[#22]
We got fucked and our CEO got a new house in Tahoe and a 100% raise.
Link Posted: 1/29/2015 12:53:37 AM EDT
[#23]
Quoted:

Not looking good.
View Quote

Somalia has unions?
Link Posted: 1/29/2015 12:54:05 AM EDT
[#24]
The federal department I work for is only funded through 27FEB, might not be allowed to work after that, the House is using it as a bargaining chip to try to get something done with immigration, will probably wind up back-paying us to sit at home for a week again like last time.

Posted Via AR15.Com Mobile
Link Posted: 1/29/2015 12:55:27 AM EDT
[#25]
Quoted:

Somalia has unions?
View All Quotes
Quoted:
Quoted:

Not looking good.

Somalia has unions?

Not sure. But PA does
Link Posted: 1/29/2015 12:59:05 AM EDT
[#26]
Quoted:

View All Quotes
Quoted:
Quoted:
Quoted:
Quoted:
Steel ?

Oil

Might as well be if you go along with it.
Link Posted: 1/29/2015 1:00:26 AM EDT
[#27]
Quoted:

View All Quotes
Quoted:
Quoted:
Quoted:
Quoted:
Quoted:
Steel ?

Oil

Ok
Link Posted: 1/29/2015 1:14:26 AM EDT
[#28]
You should sell t shirts.
Link Posted: 1/29/2015 1:18:44 AM EDT
[#29]
My dad went on strike a few times. He was a truck mechanic for the power company and was in the IBEW. He didnt like it and wasn't thrilled to go on strike but didnt want to be a scab either. A lot of guys have that tough decision to make.
Link Posted: 1/29/2015 1:21:36 AM EDT
[#30]
If I'm not mistaken, Indiana, the state listed as your location is a state that protects the Right To Work.

Why the fuck are you in the union in a state that doesn't compel you to be?
Link Posted: 1/29/2015 1:22:17 AM EDT
[#31]
My wife made some serious extra bucks on Scab duty back in 2013.  7X10 for about 6 weeks.

Funny thing...with management & engineering in the plant working, they maintained about 70% the normal output, with less rejected work, but they only put in about 40% of the total labor hours per week as normal union crew.

Link Posted: 1/29/2015 1:25:51 AM EDT
[#32]

Quoted:

My wife made some serious extra bucks on Scab duty back in 2013.  7X10 for about 6 weeks.

Funny thing...with management & engineering in the plant working, they maintained about 70% the normal output, with less rejected work, but they only put in about 40% of the total labor hours per week as normal union crew.

View Quote
Sounds like your wife's company has really crappy management.  
Link Posted: 1/29/2015 1:34:56 AM EDT
[#33]
Quoted:
If I'm not mistaken, Indiana, the state listed as your location is a state that protects the Right To Work.

View Quote

Often times in RTW states, employees at union shops are still considered union members, whether they belong by way of paying dues or not. Those that don't pay dues are referred to as non-dues-paying members. This is because the company and the union have agreed that the union shall be the sole bargaining representative for all hourly employees (or whichever employees that would normally be represented by the union). The union is even required to represent these NDPMs just as they would a member in good standing. The only things NDPMs aren't entitled to is participation in union functions such as meetings, elections, annual picnics, etc.
Link Posted: 1/29/2015 1:37:01 AM EDT
[#34]

Quoted:

View All Quotes
Quoted:

Quoted:

How many times did you vote for Obama in the past election?

Link Posted: 1/29/2015 1:39:11 AM EDT
[#35]
Quoted:
View All Quotes
Quoted:
Quoted:

More likely, they employed union workers....

Txl
Link Posted: 1/29/2015 1:39:11 AM EDT
[#36]
Will you be standing around the burn barrels waiting to bust heads.
Link Posted: 1/29/2015 1:42:17 AM EDT
[#37]
Quoted:

View Quote

I work in a manufacturing facility and have a hard time believing that. Even with a seasoned crew of Amish Mexicans giving it their all, there's no way in hell they would crank out 70% schedule with just 40% of the man hours.
Link Posted: 1/29/2015 1:44:30 AM EDT
[#38]
Quoted:

I work in a manufacturing facility and have a hard time believing that. Even with a seasoned crew of Amish Mexicans giving it their all, there's no way in hell they would crank out 70% schedule with just 40% of the man hours.
View All Quotes
Quoted:
Quoted:

Txl
Link Posted: 1/29/2015 1:46:17 AM EDT
[#39]
OP,

Did stopping up the bathroom sinks to flood the offices below, slowing down work, throwing away tooling, and slitting people's tires not get you the contract you want?  It didn't work for the union at my company either, but they did it anyway.  

Quoted:

View Quote
I think I know where she works, based on that description alone.    I was running CNC lathes on the weekends and cashing in making my engineer's pay rate for it.

Link Posted: 1/29/2015 1:53:49 AM EDT
[#40]
Quoted:

Txl
View All Quotes
Quoted:
Quoted:
Quoted:

Txl

I should acknowledge that things are different from place to place. Where I work, there's too many precision automated operations that actually have the operators waiting on the equipment instead of the other way around. A laser welding application, for example, would be one of the bottlenecks standing in the way of making that 70% schedule.
Link Posted: 1/29/2015 1:56:54 AM EDT
[#41]
Quoted:

Often times in RTW states, employees at union shops are still considered union members, whether they belong by way of paying dues or not. Those that don't pay dues are referred to as non-dues-paying members. This is because the company and the union have agreed that the union shall be the sole bargaining representative for all hourly employees (or whichever employees that would normally be represented by the union). The union is even required to represent these NDPMs just as they would a member in good standing. The only things NDPMs aren't entitled to is participation in union functions such as meetings, elections, annual picnics, etc.
View All Quotes
Quoted:
Quoted:

and strikes. IIRC when I was working at UPS in Kansas, had a strike happened, my not being a Teamster would not have any impact on me working my shift during the strike.

I would also have the same union protections after the strike as the guy who got caught pissing on boxes in his loading trailer.

Fuck unions.
Link Posted: 1/29/2015 1:58:23 AM EDT
[#42]
Quoted:
View Quote

Don't feel bad.  Our CEO just got a $2.4 million bonus (around $5.5 million for all the chairmen combined) and its looking more and more everyday like we'll be bankrupt by the end of this year or the first quarter of 2016.
Link Posted: 1/29/2015 2:00:07 AM EDT
[#43]
What are you striking for specifically?
This is GD & it's early, we might as well run this 10-15 pages telling you how wrong you are...
Link Posted: 1/29/2015 2:01:30 AM EDT
[#44]
Quoted:

Don't feel bad.  Our CEO just got a $2.4 million bonus (around $5.5 million for all the chairmen combined) and its looking more and more everyday like we'll be bankrupt by the end of this year or the first quarter of 2016.
View All Quotes
Quoted:
Quoted:

Wow, big time cronyism in the board and won't do anything for the shareholders?
Link Posted: 1/29/2015 2:03:25 AM EDT
[#45]

Quoted:

View Quote
If my CEO gave up his entire salary, every employee would get $312/year more.  His leadership is worth a lot more than that to me.  I'd even pay more if we could be guaranteed a CEO who performed even better.  I'd trivially make it back with the increase in share price of my company stock.

Your comment drives right to the heart of what people say about Obama: "Small men fret over how to split up the pie.  Big men focus on creating more pie."

Link Posted: 1/29/2015 2:18:24 AM EDT
[#46]

Quoted:

Probably.

View Quote

"Whattaya got?"

Link Posted: 1/29/2015 2:23:28 AM EDT
[#47]
Quoted:

View All Quotes
Quoted:
Quoted:
Quoted:

Our stock hit an all time low of $0.81 per share this week.  The company just suspended the dividends for the first quarter of 2015 to "enhance financial flexibility".
Link Posted: 1/29/2015 2:25:03 AM EDT
[#48]
Quoted:

Oil
View All Quotes
Quoted:
Quoted:
Steel ?

Oil

Seriously? With as much money and per diem as you guys typically get, what possible reason would you have for a strike?
Link Posted: 1/29/2015 2:27:25 AM EDT
[#49]

Quoted:

You should break peoples legs who cross the picket line
View Quote
I know a guy that ran a man down at the local mill during a strike when he was trying to cross the line.

Killed him.

Involuntary manslaughter.

Hell of a thing for a few weeks of shutdown work.

Shit gets real in a small town when the largest employer around is looking for workers and the union boys are striking.
Link Posted: 1/29/2015 2:27:33 AM EDT
[#50]

Quoted:
View All Quotes
Quoted:

Quoted:

Why didn't you demand the same compensation as the CEO when you accepted your job?

Arrow Left Previous Page
Page / 19
Close Join Our Mail List to Stay Up To Date! Win a FREE Membership!

Sign up for the ARFCOM weekly newsletter and be entered to win a free ARFCOM membership. One new winner* is announced every week!

You will receive an email every Friday morning featuring the latest chatter from the hottest topics, breaking news surrounding legislation, as well as exclusive deals only available to ARFCOM email subscribers.

By signing up you agree to our User Agreement. *Must have a registered ARFCOM account to win.
Top Top