Confirm Action

Are you sure you wish to do this?

Confirm Cancel
BCM
User Panel

Arrow Left Previous Page
Page / 3
Posted: 1/25/2015 2:08:29 AM EDT
Looking for ideas for stashing a full size handgun in a car. Somthing easily accessible, but that also wont be found by someone quickly rummaging / searching thru the car.

Some sort of velcro straps under the seat, attached to the springs maybe? None of that under dash holster stuff. As much as I like that, it would be found instantly. Same with center consoles, glove boxes and under floor mats.

Ideas?
Link Posted: 1/22/2015 12:37:18 AM EDT
[#1]
Cut slit in underside of head rest, sew in zipper?
Link Posted: 1/22/2015 12:42:40 AM EDT
[#2]
I have a stout lockbox, just big enough. It has a stout handle. through the handle goes a stout chain. It is secured under the seat through the frame, by a stout lock, so that it can barely be reached. Can't get a bolt cutter in there. only way to get it is to open the lock, with the key. Whole outfit cost me about twenty bucks.

Stoutness, for the win. It's quick, too. Gun goes in, box locked, shoved under seat, lock through chain.

Two ways it comes back out: 1. Key 2. Cutting torch

They WILL find it. If it ain't locked, they will take it.
Link Posted: 1/22/2015 1:12:39 AM EDT
[#3]
Meh, no conundrum:  long ago I quit worrying about having weapons stolen from vehicles...it's just not that big of a deal and easily replaced...as long as you aren't carrying a First Model Schofield or something like that.
Link Posted: 1/22/2015 2:12:32 AM EDT
[#4]
Look for a panel that pops on and off with no tools.

There is more than enough space behind many of them.

It is not a quick access solution, but nobody is ever stumbling upon it.

Also, check your glovebox.  Many open to a set of stops, but by squeezing them, the glove box opens much further for removal.  There is often plenty of space in there for you.
Link Posted: 1/22/2015 8:31:30 AM EDT
[#5]
Good ideas.

Its not theft im worried about. Its nosy security guards where I work. We have a no gun policy. Sometimes they search vehicles.

I have a 25 mile commute that takes me thru crime areas. That doesnt mesh well with that policy.

So im looking for a solution. Currently have an eg makarov stashed. But want something bigger - like an old glock pd trade in beater
Link Posted: 1/22/2015 8:49:15 AM EDT
[#6]
when I drove an older 1983 280ZX, with a lot of forward leg room, I bolted a heavy duty (probably GI) first aid box to the floor pan ( good bolts and fender washers) , just in front of the seat... hasp hole large enough for a brass combination lock...with dark window tint, and painted similar to the carpeting, was not very noticable
Link Posted: 1/22/2015 9:32:40 AM EDT
[#7]
Edit: Read your second post.

Fuck having some rent a cop search my car.

Find another job that doesn't violate your rights.
Link Posted: 1/22/2015 9:56:05 AM EDT
[#8]
Quoted:
Edit: Read your second post.

Fuck having some rent a cop search my car.

Find another job that doesn't violate your rights.
View Quote

Not quite that easy. It rarely happens, once in 4 years. But... you know.
Link Posted: 1/22/2015 10:11:47 AM EDT
[#9]
OP what do you drive?
Link Posted: 1/22/2015 10:16:53 AM EDT
[#10]
Just have some random crap setting in back seat.  Get a large box of maxi pads and put gun in bottom of maxi pad box.  Stash box in open with other stuff.
Link Posted: 1/22/2015 10:18:46 AM EDT
[#11]
Quoted:
Good ideas.

Its not theft im worried about. Its nosy security guards where I work. We have a no gun policy. Sometimes they search vehicles.
View Quote

I would park elsewhere.
Link Posted: 1/22/2015 11:06:39 AM EDT
[#12]
Quoted:
Quoted:
Good ideas.

View Quote

I would park elsewhere.
View Quote

I can't bring on a gun on work property so I joined the American Legion across the street and park there. No issues.
Link Posted: 1/22/2015 11:14:00 AM EDT
[#13]
Quoted:
Just have some random crap setting in back seat.  Get a large box of maxi pads and put gun in bottom of maxi pad box.  Stash box in open with other stuff.
View Quote

Or a diaper that looks "used".
Link Posted: 1/22/2015 11:17:56 AM EDT
[#14]
Quoted:
OP what do you drive?
View Quote

A small wagon.
Link Posted: 1/22/2015 11:27:25 AM EDT
[#15]
Quoted:
Good ideas.

I have a 25 mile commute that takes me thru crime areas. That doesnt mesh well with that policy.

So im looking for a solution. Currently have an eg makarov stashed. But want something bigger - like an old glock pd trade in beater
View Quote

What happens if you refuse the search?
Link Posted: 1/22/2015 12:29:43 PM EDT
[#16]
I assume you get fired.

It's not guns they're looking for, its property. They do randoms.

However the guards are....  well some like to screw yt any way they can. Some of us are known carriers and we get a little extra effort when nosy time comes. Hate to say it butits true.

It's a secure facility, so....
Link Posted: 1/22/2015 12:37:53 PM EDT
[#17]
Quoted:
I assume you get fired.

However the guards are....  well some like to screw yt any way they can. Some of us are known carriers and we get a little extra effort when nosy time comes. Hate to say it butits true.

View Quote

In Texas we have a law that says an employer cannot tell us we cannot bring a gun in our own vehicle.
Link Posted: 1/22/2015 1:20:38 PM EDT
[#18]
Quoted:
Meh, no conundrum:  long ago I quit worrying about having weapons stolen from vehicles...it's just not that big of a deal and easily replaced...as long as you aren't carrying a First Model Schofield or something like that.
View Quote

Not the smartest guy right here.......you want a tweaker thief POS running around with a loaded pistol he found laying under your seat when he was tweaking though your car.

Pull your head out....it's not all about you.
Link Posted: 1/22/2015 2:34:01 PM EDT
[#19]

Quoted:

Good ideas.

View Quote
Park off their property?

What state? In some states, even if the search is legal, restricting the gun is not. (WI for example.)

Anything stashed well enough to prevent finding in a search, is going to get seen as you get it before you drive away.

Get a high point, hide it in diaper bag. (Flower print, plastic, garbage in it, and a few diapers.)
Link Posted: 1/22/2015 2:54:34 PM EDT
[#20]
Have a bunch of empty fast food bags strewn around the car.  Leave the gun inside of one, hidden underneath an old big mac.

Just never goto the car wash.  
Link Posted: 1/22/2015 3:02:14 PM EDT
[#21]
Quoted:
Looking for ideas for stashing a full size handgun in a car. Somthing easily accessible, but that also wont be found by someone quickly rummaging / searching thru the car.

Some sort of velcro straps under the seat, attached to the springs maybe? None of that under dash holster stuff. As much as I like that, it would be found instantly. Same with center consoles, glove boxes and under floor mats.

Ideas?
View Quote

Someone I know did that while working at a gun free zone for about 20 years.

Velcroed a holster to the underside of the seat. Even if someone put their hands under the seat they wouldn't find it unless they knew exactly where it was.

Link Posted: 1/22/2015 3:05:37 PM EDT
[#22]
I bet it's only a matter of time before (an) auto maker starts welding a lock box into the glove compartment area. It would be a great marketing feature.....
Link Posted: 1/22/2015 4:48:11 PM EDT
[#23]
Quoted:
View Quote

Yup.
Police trade-in G22 with night sights in the driver's door in a safariland holster.
ETA: read the second post - figure out an alternative parking spot or risk it

Quoted:
I bet it's only a matter of time before (an) auto maker starts welding a lock box into the glove compartment area. It would be a great marketing feature.....
View Quote

Ya, for maybe 25% of arfcom and < 1% of American car buyers.
They want sleek and sexy. That said, some trucks already have lockable center consoles and a good amount of cars have lockable glove boxes
Link Posted: 1/22/2015 5:12:47 PM EDT
[#24]
Guys,
"Hiding" is not the answer.  Most of these "no guns" companies are utilizing dogs now.  Several companies offer the search dog services.  These dogs can sniff out a single round of .22 short from outside a locked vehicle. (Not to mention a bottle of pills or a roach in the ashtray.)   The dog hits on a vehicle, you are brought out and asked to unlock your vehicle for search,  or you are fired on the spot for refusal.  
Glad Texas finally passed laws to protect us from that crap here.
Link Posted: 1/22/2015 8:13:14 PM EDT
[#25]
Under the rear seat cushions?  I can stash many things under mine & no one would ever know about it.
Find a close bank & rent a box.
Link Posted: 1/22/2015 8:57:03 PM EDT
[#26]
My posts in this thread were not very technical, so am deleting them.  Do carry on.
Link Posted: 1/22/2015 9:04:24 PM EDT
[#27]
Put it in a flat rate shipping box.  All sealed and addressed like you are going to drop it off after work.

Tear it open to access gun quickly.

or

Do what Charlie Wax does and use cans!

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=lMhDzEQ1AwM
Link Posted: 1/22/2015 9:06:21 PM EDT
[#28]
Quoted:  Put it in a flat rate shipping box.  All sealed and addressed like you are going to drop it off after work.

View Quote

Now that's cleverness.  Just don't forget, and don't let the spousal unit mail it for you when she borrows your car.
Link Posted: 1/22/2015 10:11:07 PM EDT
[#29]
the post box thing, and the under seat velcro straps (Zip tie a kydex holster under seat?) seem to be the best ideas so far.

They don't use dogs.
Link Posted: 1/22/2015 10:12:10 PM EDT
[#30]
friend carries an old Star 1911 compact model.
He has a two gun locks linked to lock it to the seat frame and then pushes it to the back of the seat of his truck.
It would help to know what kind of car you have specifically.
Link Posted: 1/22/2015 10:35:55 PM EDT
[#31]
I used to have a biometric safe under my drivers seat. It was secured with a chain to the metal part near where the seat slides. Worked well and I could access it quickly. Perhaps you can tuck that somewhere so its kinda inconspicuous?
Link Posted: 1/22/2015 11:48:36 PM EDT
[#32]
Quoted:
View Quote
While I won't say you're wrong, this attitude contributes to guns getting into the hands of criminals.
Link Posted: 1/23/2015 12:03:52 AM EDT
[#33]
My posts in this thread were not very technical, so am deleting them.  Do carry on.
Link Posted: 1/23/2015 1:01:13 AM EDT
[#34]
Link Posted: 1/23/2015 2:11:38 AM EDT
[#35]
Link Posted: 1/23/2015 2:24:34 AM EDT
[#36]
Quoted:
Quoted:
Quoted:  Bullshit.  Not shooting criminals contributes to the existence of criminals.  If everybody would shoot people they see breaking into cars, we wouldn't have this problem.
View Quote

It's not legal to shoot people over property here in Ohio and most other States so that's pretty horrible advice and could garner a jail sentence for following it.

That said, not having control of the firearm at all times means it's easier to be stolen. In this instance where there's a possibility of having the vehicle searched, I'd probably try something utilizing a deep cover approach.

OP, would it be possible to have a pistol on you at all times?
View Quote

In Texas, we shoot people over property.  Get your state's law's fixed.  
View Quote

Great law, it needs to spread across the country.    Fuck thieves.
Link Posted: 1/23/2015 4:16:36 PM EDT
[#37]

Quoted:

I assume you get fired.

View Quote
What you have described is the OPPOSITE of a secure facility.

The best possible way to avoid theft from vehicle is to keep said valuables ON your person.
Link Posted: 1/23/2015 5:36:44 PM EDT
[#38]
So, im not going to divulge too much, but where I work we get random searches all the time.  Car searches.... not pat downs.  Although there is no CCW allowed on miltary instalations....

eta ^^^ prev poster gets the point....
Link Posted: 1/24/2015 3:05:04 AM EDT
[#39]
This interests me as well. I rarely carry as I also work on a secure facility. And while changing jobs may be easy for some of you, it's not an option for me.

I've thought about making something for under the seat as well. We have G4S security and most give two fucks. But a few are a little more thorough. And I get searched every time I leave work. Again, they aren't really checking for shit you're bringing in, but stuff you might be taking out.

I like the head rest idea, but not sure how I feel about a handgun sitting just behind my skull. And I have my two minions in the back seat.
Link Posted: 1/24/2015 3:10:06 AM EDT
[#40]
Quoted:
View Quote

Good point. I almost drunk posted in a tech forum.

ETA: It's under the driver seat. I can't legally shoot you to protect property. Go for it. I dare you.
Link Posted: 1/25/2015 1:51:13 AM EDT
[#41]
Quoted:
Quoted:
I assume you get fired.

View Quote

In Texas we have a law that says an employer cannot tell us we cannot bring a gun in our own vehicle.
View Quote

Yeah, try that if you work at, say, a nuke plant in TX. I guarantee that employer can still regulate firearms in vehicles on their property. And as far as the advice of "find another job" goes, it's kind of hard when you make the kind of money that you do at places like nuke plants.
Link Posted: 1/25/2015 2:11:53 AM EDT
[#42]

Discussion ForumsJump to Quoted PostQuote History
Quoted:
Yeah, try that if you work at, say, a nuke plant in TX. I guarantee that employer can still regulate firearms in vehicles on their property. And as far as the advice of "find another job" goes, it's kind of hard when you make the kind of money that you do at places like nuke plants.
View Quote View All Quotes
View All Quotes
Quoted:

Quoted:

Quoted:

I assume you get fired.

That law got USAA off our ass.  That was the only thing that sucked about working there.

Link Posted: 1/25/2015 2:12:11 AM EDT
[#43]
Quoted:
Good ideas.

View Quote

How about just telling rent-a-cop to fuck off?
Link Posted: 1/25/2015 2:32:16 AM EDT
[#44]
I'm a big fan of the chain and padlock method. Something your average car theif isn't prepared for, just make sure it's quality.
Link Posted: 1/25/2015 2:36:43 AM EDT
[#45]
Quoted:
Put it in a flat rate shipping box.  All sealed and addressed like you are going to drop it off after work.
View Quote

And to be extra neener-neener to TheMan if he should mess with you, have it addressed to a real FFL.  I've used that trick before...
Link Posted: 1/25/2015 2:42:28 AM EDT
[#46]
Quoted:

View All Quotes
Quoted:
Quoted:
Good ideas.

Go for it and report back. You would be without a job. As stated, I also work at a federal facility regulated by the US Army and guarded by G4S.

It would go like this:

Fat Guard: Sir, we need to perform a random search on your vehicle, could you pull over to the other lane.

Dumb Me: Go fuck yourself.

Fat Guard: (Calls his Captain)

Fat Captain: Please turn in your badge

Dumb Me:

Seriously...
Link Posted: 1/25/2015 3:19:49 AM EDT
[#47]
I work for a national company that has a strict no gun policy in your vehicle, I also live in a state the bars employers from preventing employees with a CHL from keeping a firearm locked in their vehicle.  I keep a cheap PSA AR cable locked to the seat frame underneath the back seat.  It would be an expensive fight in court even though I'm in the right legally speaking.  Most likely be out of the job anyway as who would want to work for someone just waiting for any reason to fire you. It's a choice I make, good thing I'm not in love with the job.  If you're company has rules preventing you from keeping a gun on you/in your car, it's a decision you have to make.
Link Posted: 1/25/2015 5:14:26 AM EDT
[#48]
Quoted:
Guys,
"Hiding" is not the answer.  Most of these "no guns" companies are utilizing dogs now.  Several companies offer the search dog services.  These dogs can sniff out a single round of .22 short from outside a locked vehicle. (Not to mention a bottle of pills or a roach in the ashtray.)   The dog hits on a vehicle, you are brought out and asked to unlock your vehicle for search,  or you are fired on the spot for refusal.  
Glad Texas finally passed laws to protect us from that crap here.
View Quote

Sounds like the best thing in that case is to put a pinch of gunpowder in every car that goes there, especially company vehicles.  Dogs will be useless once they continually alert on every vehicle that comes through.
Link Posted: 1/25/2015 5:21:47 AM EDT
[#49]
Quoted:
That law got USAA off our ass.  That was the only thing that sucked about working there.

View All Quotes
Quoted:
Quoted:
Quoted:
Quoted:
I assume you get fired.

Can you explain the connection to USAA?  I have USAA but apparently am unaware of what you are referring to.  

Link Posted: 1/25/2015 5:27:55 AM EDT
[#50]
The company I'm currently working for has a no weapons policy. You can't even have a friggin pocket knife. My 1911 sits under my seat waiting for me to get off of work. I really don't worry too much about theft because the facility has state of the art cameras all over the parking lot an inside the building. I'm not too worried about losing the job if I get caught either since it's just a temporary position anyway. I just make sure to stash the gun before I get onto their property so they don't see me reaching under the seat.
Arrow Left Previous Page
Page / 3
Top Top