Confirm Action

Are you sure you wish to do this?

Confirm Cancel
BCM
User Panel

Arrow Left Previous Page
Page / 13
Posted: 1/18/2015 4:44:59 PM EDT
I'm just asking from a scientific point and not the governments experiment..
Link Posted: 1/18/2015 4:47:38 PM EDT
[#1]
Link Posted: 1/18/2015 4:48:35 PM EDT
[#2]
One.
Link Posted: 1/18/2015 4:48:48 PM EDT
[#3]
Link Posted: 1/18/2015 4:49:07 PM EDT
[#4]
There are 3.
Link Posted: 1/18/2015 4:49:32 PM EDT
[#5]
Link Posted: 1/18/2015 4:49:34 PM EDT
[#6]
Discussion ForumsJump to Quoted PostQuote History
Quoted:
Depends on the person making the cut-off points.
View Quote

I'm going with this.
Link Posted: 1/18/2015 4:51:41 PM EDT
[#7]
4 is the answer
Link Posted: 1/18/2015 4:55:52 PM EDT
[#8]
Quoted:
One.
View Quote

Link Posted: 1/18/2015 4:58:21 PM EDT
[#9]
I believe 3 is correct if I could spell them I would.
Link Posted: 1/18/2015 4:58:56 PM EDT
[#10]
From a scientific standpoint there is no such as "race." There are no particular genetic markers that decide race. The genetic difference between those with higher levels of melanin in their skin and paler folk is less than that between Finns and Italians.

Race is a completely social construct.

Posted Via AR15.Com Mobile
Link Posted: 1/18/2015 5:00:11 PM EDT
[#11]

Quoted:

From a scientific standpoint there is no such as "race." There are no particular genetic markers that decide race. The genetic difference between those with higher levels of melanin in their skin and paler folk is less than that between Finns and Italians.

View Quote

Link Posted: 1/18/2015 5:00:50 PM EDT
[#12]
too much
Link Posted: 1/18/2015 5:02:15 PM EDT
[#13]
Quoted:
One.
View Quote

Link Posted: 1/18/2015 5:02:32 PM EDT
[#14]
Quoted:

View Quote

LOL cats.

I'm sure somebody will come along soon to post the chart showing various genetic groups and the ratio of difference.

However....   everything is an arbitrary "construct."  Traditional definitions use their own criteria and are no less of a "construct" than more modern categorizations that use different parameters.
Link Posted: 1/18/2015 5:03:15 PM EDT
[#15]

[racist]the right one and the wrong ones[/racist]

ETA:  Oh, nevermind...you said NOT gov't experiment.
Link Posted: 1/18/2015 5:03:26 PM EDT
[#16]
IBTL.
Link Posted: 1/18/2015 5:04:19 PM EDT
[#17]

Quoted:

[racist]the reich one and the wrong ones[/racist]

View Quote
FIFY

Link Posted: 1/18/2015 5:04:34 PM EDT
[#18]
Quoted:

View Quote View All Quotes
View All Quotes
Quoted:
Quoted:
One.

'Race' has no biological meaning. There is, in fact, one species of people.

Link Posted: 1/18/2015 5:04:57 PM EDT
[#19]
Race was created. One.

Like saying how many fat blonds with large second toes
Link Posted: 1/18/2015 5:05:22 PM EDT
[#20]

This has to be a troll post.  Not like is hard too look it up
Link Posted: 1/18/2015 5:06:46 PM EDT
[#21]
There are three races:  pure African homo sapiens, homo sapiens hybridized with Neanderthals (Europe, Asia, Americas), and homo sapiens hybridized with denisovians (Australia, New Guinea).

Its as good as the other definitions.
Link Posted: 1/18/2015 5:08:34 PM EDT
[#22]
Quoted:

LOL cats.

I'm sure somebody will come along soon to post the chart showing various genetic groups and the ratio of difference.

However....   everything is an arbitrary "construct."  Traditional definitions use their own criteria and are no less of a "construct" than more modern categorizations that use different parameters.
View All Quotes
Quoted:
Quoted:

LOL cats.

I didn't say that there were other more "valid" scientific classifications. Historically human groupings have been by kin, clan, and locality.

Link Posted: 1/18/2015 5:08:44 PM EDT
[#23]
Quoted:

View Quote

I'm calling bullshit on this.    It's not a single marker, it's sets of them in combination.   Just because the genetic differences are minor doesn't mean the end results aren't there.   This is real and relevant when you're looking at, say, risks for various types of diseases and disorders.

There are populations that share various genetic traits and which have varying degrees of distinctiveness (since, obviously, people get around).    

Smug blathering that race is a social construct is, itself, a political-correctness construct.   You might as well deny that dog breeds exist; that's just as fucking stupid.
Link Posted: 1/18/2015 5:10:20 PM EDT
[#24]
About seven billion.   Or one.  Or 87.

Link Posted: 1/18/2015 5:10:22 PM EDT
[#25]

Has OP asked ESPN    
Link Posted: 1/18/2015 5:10:25 PM EDT
[#26]
Quoted:

This has to be a troll post.  Not like is hard too look it up
View Quote

No troll post easy to look up go watch Marco Polo.
Link Posted: 1/18/2015 5:13:15 PM EDT
[#27]
You know what OP, in all seriousness, please provide the scientific definition of a "genetic race", and then perhaps someone may be able to attempt to answer your question.

As it is now, "race" is a very non-scientific measure of anything.
Link Posted: 1/18/2015 5:13:55 PM EDT
[#28]
Quoted:

I'm calling bullshit on this.    It's not a single marker, it's sets of them in combination.   Just because the genetic differences are minor doesn't mean the end results aren't there.   This is real and relevant when you're looking at, say, risks for various types of diseases and disorders.

There are populations that share various genetic traits and which have varying degrees of distinctiveness (since, obviously, people get around).    

Smug blathering that race is a social construct is, itself, a political-correctness construct.   You might as well deny that dog breeds exist; that's just as fucking stupid.
View All Quotes
Quoted:
Quoted:

Is an Asian white is someone from South America white? I say yes.
Link Posted: 1/18/2015 5:14:15 PM EDT
[#29]
Quoted:
FIFY  
View All Quotes
Quoted:
Quoted:

[racist]the reich one and the wrong ones[/racist]

FIFY  

winning.
Link Posted: 1/18/2015 5:16:26 PM EDT
[#30]

Quoted:

View Quote

Used to describe observed genetic differences among humans before genetics were fully understood.

Link Posted: 1/18/2015 5:16:42 PM EDT
[#31]

Quoted:

View All Quotes
Quoted:

Quoted:

Provide a scientific definition of the word race, preferably without googling.

So far, you've provided non-specific meaningless blather.

Then we'll criticize it.

Link Posted: 1/18/2015 5:17:29 PM EDT
[#32]
Quoted:

View All Quotes
Quoted:
Quoted:

...then suddenly the conversation took a turn towards the cerebral when the OP announced that he "likes turtles."

Link Posted: 1/18/2015 5:18:48 PM EDT
[#33]

Quoted:

Used to describe observed genetic differences among humans before genetics were fully understood.

View All Quotes
Quoted:

Quoted:

If you go by this definition, then there thousands, millions, or billions of 'races' depending on how you place that arbitrary "genetic difference" line.

Link Posted: 1/18/2015 5:19:20 PM EDT
[#34]

Quoted:
...then suddenly the conversation took a turn towards the cerebral when the OP announced that he "likes turtles."

View All Quotes
Quoted:

Quoted:

Quoted:

Turtles are a social construct.

Link Posted: 1/18/2015 5:20:11 PM EDT
[#35]
The problem is there is not clear definition of what a race is - and all it takes is two people to have a kid to suddenly created a category that doesn't fit into any previous category.

Similar with species. We tend to lump species based on the physical traits, but when it comes to something like dogs they are all one species. Even though if a Great Dane and  a Tea Cup poodle somehow managed to evolve on their own, we would have made them different species.

Link Posted: 1/18/2015 5:20:52 PM EDT
[#36]
What the hell is a genetic race?

If two things can breed, they are usually the same species.
Link Posted: 1/18/2015 5:21:14 PM EDT
[#37]

Quoted:

View All Quotes
Quoted:

Quoted:

Quoted:

Quoted:

Don't fuck with Gamera.

Link Posted: 1/18/2015 5:22:52 PM EDT
[#38]
Quoted:
You might as well deny that dog breeds exist; that's just as fucking stupid.
View Quote

You know dog breeds are man made, right?  
Link Posted: 1/18/2015 5:23:21 PM EDT
[#39]

Quoted:

View All Quotes
Quoted:

Quoted:

Quoted:

Quoted:

Ironically there is debate in taxonomy about the classification of turtle ancestors.

The reality is, all taxonomy is a "social construct", in that, the categorical levels are arbitrary above and below the species level.

Link Posted: 1/18/2015 5:25:09 PM EDT
[#40]
Quoted:

View All Quotes
Quoted:
Quoted:

Same process as speciation though, favorable traits are bred, unfavorable ones removed from the line. Just replace nature with human.
Link Posted: 1/18/2015 5:26:11 PM EDT
[#41]

Quoted:
Same process as speciation though, favorable traits are bred, unfavorable ones removed from the line. Just replace nature with human.
View All Quotes
Quoted:

Quoted:

Quoted:

Coyotes and Wolves can interbreed.  So can Lions and Tigers.

Link Posted: 1/18/2015 5:26:38 PM EDT
[#42]
13.  The 12 Colonies of Man and Earth.  
Link Posted: 1/18/2015 5:26:55 PM EDT
[#43]
Homo sapiens sapiens
Link Posted: 1/18/2015 5:27:44 PM EDT
[#44]
White, black, Asian, Hispanic, Native American, other.
I believe those are the ones I have to think about pocking ( more like which one do I arbitealy pick) while filling out the census.
Link Posted: 1/18/2015 5:30:38 PM EDT
[#45]
Quoted:
You know what OP, in all seriousness, please provide the scientific definition of a "genetic race", and then perhaps someone may be able to attempt to answer your question.

As it is now, "race" is a very non-scientific measure of anything.
View Quote

Just trying to point out how I believe people have been sold on Race by the government.  Anthropologist I guess look at it differently then we do Ne-groid, Mongoloid and Caucasoid. with about 30 sub-groups.

In terms of a noun Its a race of speed ,running driving or running.

Race is obsolete as a biological system of classification and I get a fucking headache when I look for an answer from some of the best minds in the country who happen to be member's of this site.
Link Posted: 1/18/2015 5:30:39 PM EDT
[#46]
Link Posted: 1/18/2015 5:31:13 PM EDT
[#47]

Quoted:
View All Quotes
Quoted:

Quoted:

Quoted:

Right, and since all dogs can genetically breed with one another and produce viable offspring (even if they practically cant...like a Chihuahua and an Irish wolfhound), the breed classifications are simply arbitrary classifications made up by someone with a pen and paper.  From a scientific standpoint they really are meaningless beyond a "this helps us keep shit a little more organized" standpoint.

Link Posted: 1/18/2015 5:31:33 PM EDT
[#48]
How many BREEDS of humans are there. That is the question. Pure Bree's offspring breed true, hybrids produce random mixed offspring. Though we almost certainly all evolved from Africanis, geographical isolation has created separate breeds, just like every other species.

The problem is that it is politically incorrect to discuss races as breeds, or as different (we are all supposed to be "equal"). Clearly we are not all the same. Each breed has strengths and weaknesses, which we should learn to use to our advantage instead of calling anyone who points out a difference a racist.

So basically, any established group of people is a breed. Some breeds, like Asians, have obvious varieties, like Japanese vs. Chinese or Mongolian, but I suspect they would be considered the same breed.

Why does it seem we spend so much time investigating animals and plants, but not ourselves? I'd love to learn more about our breeds.

So my guess is roughly:

1) African / Black
2) Asian / Yellow
3) European / White
4) Native American (including South American) / Red
Link Posted: 1/18/2015 5:34:07 PM EDT
[#49]
Three primary.
Link Posted: 1/18/2015 5:34:37 PM EDT
[#50]
Quoted:
How many BREEDS of humans are there. That is the question. Pure Bree's offspring breed true, hybrids produce random mixed offspring. Though we almost certainly all evolved from Africanis, geographical isolation has created separate breeds, just like every other species.

The problem is that it is politically incorrect to discuss races as breeds, or as different (we are all supposed to be "equal"). Clearly we are not all the same. Each breed has strengths and weaknesses, which we should learn to use to our advantage instead of calling anyone who points out a difference a racist.

So basically, any established group of people is a breed. Some breeds, like Asians, have obvious varieties, like Japanese vs. Chinese or Mongolian, but I suspect they would be considered the same breed.

Why does it seem we spend so much time investigating animals and plants, but not ourselves? I'd love to learn more about our breeds.
View Quote

Actually - Africans are the only pure breed humans.

Europeans and the rest are Neanderthal hybrids.
Arrow Left Previous Page
Page / 13
Close Join Our Mail List to Stay Up To Date! Win a FREE Membership!

Sign up for the ARFCOM weekly newsletter and be entered to win a free ARFCOM membership. One new winner* is announced every week!

You will receive an email every Friday morning featuring the latest chatter from the hottest topics, breaking news surrounding legislation, as well as exclusive deals only available to ARFCOM email subscribers.

By signing up you agree to our User Agreement. *Must have a registered ARFCOM account to win.
Top Top