Are you sure you wish to do this?

Confirm Cancel
BCM
User Panel

Site Notices
Arrow Left Previous Page
Page / 5
Posted: 1/15/2015 9:30:42 PM EDT
First, consider the handgun market as it stood before these new mags were announced. There were marginal differences between service pistols, and we argue about those differences on a daily basis here, but for the most part, if you buy a quality pistol from the likes of Glock, Smith and Wesson, Beretta, or CZ, it's most likely going to be just fine. And I say that as a guy that's bought two defective Glock 9mms. The majority of the guns produced by any of these manufacturers will run with excellent reliability, and most experienced shooters won't observe much of a difference in accuracy.

Glocks have below average triggers and below average ergonomics, but mechanical simplicity and brand recognition are strengths. Another selling point often brought up by Glock fans is the availability of holsters and pricing of magazines. Holsters for many if not most major pistols will be available in most places that sell holsters. That leaves magazines...

Before today...
Magazines for Glocks were twenty-something dollars.
Magazines for Beretta 92s were twenty-something dollars.
Magazines for CZ 75s were twenty-something dollars.
Magazines for BHPs were twenty-something dollars.
Magazines for S&W 5906s were twenty-something dollars.

Some were more expensive, but I think you get the idea.

For the sake of this discussion, let's make two assumptions about these new Glock mags:
-Magpul is building a product that will work as advertised.
-These will have a street price around $10-12.

Now, we're looking at a change in market conditions. All of the above statements are still true, except Glock magazines are no longer twenty something dollars like most everything else. They're now under half that price. That's in addition to the fact that Glock ships the Gen4 pistols with three mags instead of two like everyone else. Even in retail terms (as opposed to Blue Label or GSSF), it will soon be possible for a customer to walk out of a gun shop with a brand new Gen4 G17 with 10 magazines for under or around $650. For the first time, Glock pistols have an edge that is objective, measurable, and quite significant. And the best part, from Glock's position, is that it's the investment of a third party that makes it possible.

And that leaves the rest of the industry an interesting decision to make. If you were running things at S&W, Springfield Armory, or Beretta, how would you address this problem? Do you increase the number of magazines that ship with your pistols? Do you find a way to cut costs on magazine production or reduce margins to make your product more affordable if possible? Or do you just stay the course and hope consumers still choose your pistols despite this disadvantage?

This could get interesting.
Link Posted: 1/15/2015 9:32:55 PM EDT
[#1]
I truly hope it drops the prices across the board.
Link Posted: 1/15/2015 9:33:21 PM EDT
[#2]
They can be $7 a piece and smell like gingerbread for all I care.. they go into Glocks, and Glocks aren't for me.
Link Posted: 1/15/2015 9:34:46 PM EDT
[#3]
Glock has had an edge on competition ever since it burst on the scene.

Link Posted: 1/15/2015 9:35:07 PM EDT
[#4]
I don't think Magpul will make mags for handguns that take metal mags.
Link Posted: 1/15/2015 9:35:57 PM EDT
[#5]
My first thought was if I would bite on a 10 pack for $89. I'm not sure how many sidearm magazines I need just now. I'll have to buy more shelving if my Glock mag collection grows to AR proportions.
Link Posted: 1/15/2015 9:36:56 PM EDT
[#6]

Discussion ForumsJump to Quoted PostQuote History
Quoted:

They can be $7 a piece and smell like gingerbread for all I care.. they go into Glocks, and Glocks aren't for me.
View Quote

This.

Still a huge fan of the 92FS/M9.

But, I have been thinking about buying another G19 for CCW.

Link Posted: 1/15/2015 9:37:10 PM EDT
[#7]
First I've heard of this. Are they available?

I could stock up at this price.
Link Posted: 1/15/2015 9:37:26 PM EDT
[#8]
Link Posted: 1/15/2015 9:37:31 PM EDT
[#9]
Quoted:
View Quote

Agree,  all your points I agree with,  but glocks could ship with 10 free mags,  still would buy something different.
Link Posted: 1/15/2015 9:38:21 PM EDT
[#10]
Quoted:

View Quote

Bravo, sir.
Link Posted: 1/15/2015 9:38:22 PM EDT
[#11]
Magpul is making glock mags?
Link Posted: 1/15/2015 9:38:25 PM EDT
[#12]
Quoted:
I don't think Magpul will make mags for guns that take metal mags.
View Quote

AR15s take metal mags.
Link Posted: 1/15/2015 9:39:10 PM EDT
[#13]
May be a reason to buy an HK pistol now.

Link Posted: 1/15/2015 9:39:21 PM EDT
[#14]
If I was a betting man I would say they built these to try and get the magazine contract for the British army's new pistols.  They already supply the mags for the SA80 so it would make some sense.
Link Posted: 1/15/2015 9:39:28 PM EDT
[#15]
I am a glock fan,  I have several and the news is good to me

they start out at 15 and will soon go down to 10 or less as the market is saturated

im excited and my leg is twitching up and down

Link Posted: 1/15/2015 9:39:36 PM EDT
[#16]
I'd probably buy some for my usp's even though I like hk mags for my ars over the magpuls.  
Link Posted: 1/15/2015 9:39:55 PM EDT
[#17]
Quoted:

AR15s take metal mags.
View Quote View All Quotes
View All Quotes
Quoted:
Quoted:

AR15s take metal mags.

So do AKs.

Posted Via AR15.Com Mobile
Link Posted: 1/15/2015 9:40:36 PM EDT
[#18]
Quoted:

Agree,  all your points I agree with,  but glocks could ship with 10 free mags,  still would buy something different.
View All Quotes
Quoted:
Quoted:

Good thing you guys came into a Glock thread, then.  Thanks for sharing.

Link Posted: 1/15/2015 9:40:43 PM EDT
[#19]
More to the point of how this will affect the handgun industry as a whole: Probably not that much. As another poster said, I don't think making polymer mags for guns that take metal factory mags would be worth the R&D, doing the Glock mags is just Magpul grabbing low-hanging fruit.

I also think those of us that post here are in the minority of overall gun owners as far as getting into mass stockpiles of mags. The non-gun-nuts that I know that have a pistol for plinking or self-defense still only have the mags the gun came with.
Link Posted: 1/15/2015 9:40:57 PM EDT
[#20]
I can't shoot a glock got shit. I had a 19 for a short time. The forced position of the grip doesn't work for me. Meaning I don't like the finger grooves. Now if I could find a gen 2 at a good price, I'd probably buy it just to buy Magpul mags for it. Therefore, I'll continue to buy Springfield whose mags I can get on sale for right at $20.
Link Posted: 1/15/2015 9:41:05 PM EDT
[#21]
Except that 87% of pistol owners will never buy more mags than came with the pistol in the box.
Link Posted: 1/15/2015 9:41:53 PM EDT
[#22]
Quoted:

View All Quotes
Quoted:
Quoted:
Quoted:

Not just a Glock thread. I expanded my statements.
Link Posted: 1/15/2015 9:42:00 PM EDT
[#23]
Link Posted: 1/15/2015 9:42:01 PM EDT
[#24]
My VP9 came with 3 magazines and night sights for $650.

That being said, $12 replacement magazines are indeed a bit of a game changer.

If Magpul made VP9 mags that were reliable and worked, I'd probably buy 10 or 20 of them.

That all being said, I have two G23's and a G35…I am transitioning to the VP9 as my EDC…I doubt I will buy any Magpul Glock mags…but they do look nice.

Link Posted: 1/15/2015 9:42:55 PM EDT
[#25]
Meh. Factory mags work great, they are very durable are utterly reliable. A dozen and a few spares will last a loooooooong time.

Link Posted: 1/15/2015 9:44:04 PM EDT
[#26]
Quoted:
Meh. Factory mags work great, they are very durable are utterly reliable.

View Quote

And they aren't all that expensive compared to other guns either.
Link Posted: 1/15/2015 9:44:46 PM EDT
[#27]
Quoted:

AR15s take metal mags.
View All Quotes
Quoted:
Quoted:

AR15s take metal mags.

Handguns
Link Posted: 1/15/2015 9:45:38 PM EDT
[#28]
Personally, I hope this is a precursor to other offerings.

Like poly M&P magazines.

And I'll even go so far as to say I could tolerate the loss of a round or two if they could pump them out for $10 a piece.
Link Posted: 1/15/2015 9:46:21 PM EDT
[#29]
Quoted:
Meh. Factory mags work great, they are very durable are utterly reliable. A dozen and a few spares will last a loooooooong time.

View Quote

Yes and for almost two years after and hook you could hardly find them.

You can get magpul stuff everywhere.

This is good.  My match mags can take a rest now.

Link Posted: 1/15/2015 9:49:08 PM EDT
[#30]
*yawn*

Link Posted: 1/15/2015 9:50:18 PM EDT
[#31]

These will be reviewed quickly by the guys here and we'll know soon enough if they are reliable.  If they are, they will fly off the shelves.

Link Posted: 1/15/2015 9:51:28 PM EDT
[#32]
I have a bunch of friends behind enemy lines in Connecticut, New York and New Jersey.  I will be buying these up and shipping them out in bulk.
Link Posted: 1/15/2015 9:52:13 PM EDT
[#33]
Quoted:

View Quote

Sure they do.  They're also more expensive.  If Magpul can make a reliable mag for 3/4 of what a Glock mag costs....they're going to sell a bunch.  

The real game changer is if they can do it for guns like HK that have $60ish mags...
Link Posted: 1/15/2015 9:52:25 PM EDT
[#34]
let's see some 1911 mags from magpul... i want heads to explode...
Link Posted: 1/15/2015 9:53:04 PM EDT
[#35]
There are very few people (in the big picture) who buy many pistol mags

That's why magpul had this so far down there list. Sure, they will sell, but glock has a good, metal lined relatively inexpensive mag. Two mags with the gun (or three) buy 2-4 more. Saving $20-$60. That's not much when it comes down to it.
Link Posted: 1/15/2015 9:53:34 PM EDT
[#36]
Quoted:

View Quote

This !! Magpul should go after the HK $52 each magazines . The big fuck up from HK is no swapping of magazines between full sizes and compact . It handicaps HK.
Link Posted: 1/15/2015 9:56:32 PM EDT
[#37]
Quoted:
I have a bunch of friends behind enemy lines in Connecticut, New York and New Jersey.  I will be buying these up and shipping them out in bulk.
View Quote

Why not just send regular Glocks mags?  Not sure I understand your strategy.
Link Posted: 1/15/2015 9:58:11 PM EDT
[#38]
Quoted:

View Quote

Antigunners are attacking magazines.

You need enough to last three lifetimes. Maybe more.
Link Posted: 1/15/2015 9:58:19 PM EDT
[#39]
Link Posted: 1/15/2015 9:58:50 PM EDT
[#40]
Another part bringing me closer to my dream of a Glock using no OEM parts.
Unity slide, Lonewolf frame, ZEV internals, and now magpul mags.

If someone REALLY wanted to bring a game-changer to market they'd design a full-cocked striker assembly.
Link Posted: 1/15/2015 9:59:44 PM EDT
[#41]
OP has a low threshold for game changing.
Link Posted: 1/15/2015 10:01:52 PM EDT
[#42]
I disagree with your opinion on ergonomics and trigger ....

But really hopeful for cheap reliable mags for my Glock.
Link Posted: 1/15/2015 10:02:55 PM EDT
[#43]
They need to make 20-30 round glock mags
Link Posted: 1/15/2015 10:04:04 PM EDT
[#44]
i'll stack them deep, in 20-30 years, my grandkids will need them
Link Posted: 1/15/2015 10:04:05 PM EDT
[#45]
I might have to learn to like glocks
Link Posted: 1/15/2015 10:04:18 PM EDT
[#46]
Quoted:

View All Quotes
Quoted:
Quoted:

These are cheaper, therefore he can get more of them. Math is awesome stuff.
Link Posted: 1/15/2015 10:05:04 PM EDT
[#47]
Quoted:
View Quote

If the PMag is any indication, I'm sure they will.

Link Posted: 1/15/2015 10:06:00 PM EDT
[#48]
PX4 .45 full cap mag (15+ rounds) would be real nicefor my CX4.
Link Posted: 1/15/2015 10:06:31 PM EDT
[#49]
Why can't someone replicate the ultra rare Mag for a Bren Ten.   IF you can find one, its over $200!

Quoted:
First, consider the handgun market as it stood before these new mags were announced. There were marginal differences between service pistols, and we argue about those differences on a daily basis here, but for the most part, if you buy a quality pistol from the likes of Glock, Smith and Wesson, Beretta, or CZ, it's most likely going to be just fine. And I say that as a guy that's bought two defective Glock 9mms. The majority of the guns produced by any of these manufacturers will run with excellent reliability, and most experienced shooters won't observe much of a difference in accuracy.

Glocks have below average triggers and below average ergonomics, but mechanical simplicity and brand recognition are strengths. Another selling point often brought up by Glock fans is the availability of holsters and pricing of magazines. Holsters for many if not most major pistols will be available in most places that sell holsters. That leaves magazines...

Before today...
Magazines for Glocks were twenty-something dollars.
Magazines for Beretta 92s were twenty-something dollars.
Magazines for CZ 75s were twenty-something dollars.
Magazines for BHPs were twenty-something dollars.
Magazines for S&W 5906s were twenty-something dollars.

Some were more expensive, but I think you get the idea.

For the sake of this discussion, let's make two assumptions about these new Glock mags:
-Magpul is building a product that will work as advertised.
-These will have a street price around $10-12.

Now, we're looking at a change in market conditions. All of the above statements are still true, except Glock magazines are no longer twenty something dollars like most everything else. They're now under half that price. That's in addition to the fact that Glock ships the Gen4 pistols with three mags instead of two like everyone else. Even in retail terms (as opposed to Blue Label or GSSF), it will soon be possible for a customer to walk out of a gun shop with a brand new Gen4 G17 with 10 magazines for under or around $650. For the first time, Glock pistols have an edge that is objective, measurable, and quite significant. And the best part, from Glock's position, is that it's the investment of a third party that makes it possible.

And that leaves the rest of the industry an interesting decision to make. If you were running things at S&W, Springfield Armory, or Beretta, how would you address this problem? Do you increase the number of magazines that ship with your pistols? Do you find a way to cut costs on magazine production or reduce margins to make your product more affordable if possible? Or do you just stay the course and hope consumers still choose your pistols despite this disadvantage?

This could get interesting.
View Quote

Link Posted: 1/15/2015 10:07:17 PM EDT
[#50]
Quoted:
View Quote

The 33 round Glock mags are goofy long. A 20-22 rounder may hit the sweet spot, if it had a built in grip extension type deal on it.
Arrow Left Previous Page
Page / 5
Close Join Our Mail List to Stay Up To Date! Win a FREE Membership!

Sign up for the ARFCOM weekly newsletter and be entered to win a free ARFCOM membership. One new winner* is announced every week!

You will receive an email every Friday morning featuring the latest chatter from the hottest topics, breaking news surrounding legislation, as well as exclusive deals only available to ARFCOM email subscribers.

By signing up you agree to our User Agreement. *Must have a registered ARFCOM account to win.
Top Top