Confirm Action

Are you sure you wish to do this?

Confirm Cancel
BCM
User Panel

Arrow Left Previous Page
Page / 3
Posted: 12/21/2014 5:33:33 AM EDT
Stopped in at target last night and while standing in line I saw a 5 pack of Bic lights for $4.99...good deal, and though I am a non-smoker I like to keep some of these around the house/vehicle/emergency supply box...

Cashier got to these, and asked for ID and that she needs to scan my DL for them.  

I said no thanks and that I don't need them that bad....It was the principle of the whole thing...

Why the fuck would i need ID to buy lighters?

Link Posted: 12/21/2014 5:39:27 AM EDT
[#1]
I suppose that it's because juveniles are huffing the butane.  Target is being "socially responsible".   I don't know how big of a problem butane huffing is, though.

ETA:  Butane is also used to make butane hash oil, which is kind of a new thing.
Link Posted: 12/21/2014 5:47:21 AM EDT
[#2]
Scanning the ID verifies date of birth for the computer. Many stores no longer trust the judgment of their employees in verifying age.
Link Posted: 12/21/2014 5:57:03 AM EDT
[#3]
Link Posted: 12/21/2014 5:59:30 AM EDT
[#4]
Anyone remember that guy here that rage quit at Tractor Supply because they required an ID check for the sling shot for his son?

Link Posted: 12/21/2014 6:03:57 AM EDT
[#5]
Discussion ForumsJump to Quoted PostQuote History
Quoted:
Anyone remember that guy here that rage quit at Tractor Supply because they required an ID check for the sling shot for his son?

View Quote

I paid cash for something at TSC once and they asked for ID...because I was paying cash..True story.
Link Posted: 12/21/2014 6:04:10 AM EDT
[#6]
Quoted:
Stopped in at target last night and while standing in line I saw a 5 pack of Bic lights for $4.99...good deal, and though I am a non-smoker I like to keep some of these around the house/vehicle/emergency supply box...

Cashier got to these, and asked for ID and that she needs to scan my DL for them.  

I said no thanks and that I don't need them that bad....It was the principle of the whole thing...

Why the fuck would i need ID to buy lighters?

View Quote

Their store, their rules. It's illegal to buy lighters while under age in many areas
Link Posted: 12/21/2014 8:27:05 AM EDT
[#7]
Well I was at a wally world 7 years or so years ago and they wanted ID for a fucking can of spray paint.  I did a and said, I don't look fucking 30?    
They said we have to.  I said well then you can sashay back and put this on the self again.  The cashier said really?   I said yes you are being silly.   They said I'll get my manager I said good, he can put it back easier than you.  
Link Posted: 12/21/2014 8:39:50 AM EDT
[#8]
Why is showing ID such a monumental issue?
Link Posted: 12/21/2014 8:49:24 AM EDT
[#9]

Quoted:

View Quote

Next men in black leather trench coats will be going down the aisle of public transportation, saying

''give me your papers".

Slippery slope

Link Posted: 12/21/2014 8:53:47 AM EDT
[#10]
Quoted:

Next men in black leather trench coats will be going down the aisle of public transportation, saying
''give me your papers".

Slippery slope

View Quote View All Quotes
View All Quotes
Quoted:
Quoted:

''give me your papers".

Slippery slope

It's a clerk at a local store. Fuck, and people think I'm paranoid
Link Posted: 12/21/2014 8:59:40 AM EDT
[#11]
Quoted:
View Quote

It's not that showing ID is the issue for certain things.  It's that the nanny state a its extension into nearly every "socially responsible" business wants to limit or control nearly every aspect of life today.  ID for lighters, propane tanks, cold medicine, spray paint, booze even if you look 50+, tobacco even if you look 50+ (and you will receive the woeful stare of victims of your vice).  

Hell, I can't buy a toilet that can handle my power dump in one flush so am forced to flush 4 times wasting more water.  The $40 LED light bulbs burn out just as fast the CFL's that were supposed to be a God send over Edison's great invention.  If they are so concerned about energy ask algore to hold off on his $10K/mos/mansion consumption.  

Solar power has a rate of return after I will be long dead and my 4 year old has begun collection social security.  For that matter wind in just 43 years after installation will actually still have a zero sum add to the power grid as the turbines are only expected to last 30 years.  

Most people need to myob and get back to work.
Link Posted: 12/21/2014 9:05:25 AM EDT
[#12]
Quoted:
View Quote

Slippery slope and all that...

Honestly, for me it's the principle of the whole thing...I should not have to identify myself for buying something as innocuous as a lighter. Especially at 47 years of age...I also wasn't a dick about it...when the clerk asked for ID I simply said I changed my mind about that item.

I also like to think that I live in a free society, where I can come and go as I please for the most part, and buy what the fuck I want without people asking me for my name and ID...

Hell, I don't even go to the hair cuttery anymore for hair cuts because they insist on putting your name, addy, and phone number in their system.  Its a fucking haircut for crying out loud....why do they need to know all that shit?
Link Posted: 12/21/2014 9:16:31 AM EDT
[#13]

and also, there's the issue of the corporate entities' "management" of your personal info.

I think it has been proven repeatedly that they are much more interested in collecting your

information than they are concerned about safeguarding it.

I agree with the OP - if your business requires personal information before I can buy some

innocuous item such as spray paint, or a butane lighter, etc., then I guess I'll be buying it somewhere else.

Link Posted: 12/21/2014 9:59:03 AM EDT
[#14]

Quoted:
View All Quotes
Quoted:

Quoted:

Quoted:

''give me your papers".

Slippery slope

Its the beginning of the end....

I'll show ID, but will not allow it to be scanned or copied.

Link Posted: 12/21/2014 10:09:16 AM EDT
[#15]
Link Posted: 12/21/2014 10:24:04 AM EDT
[#16]
I thought the op said scan the id

I wouldnt want my id scanned either

and I hate when your trying to get in and out and you get asked
do you have a rewards card
no

do you want one
do I get these items cheaper, then no I dont want one

whats your phone number so you dont need a receipt if you want to return it
all I want to do is pay for this and leave I just want to get out of here!!!

all they want this info for is tracking what your buying

same with the scanning of the id card

bad enough I like using my debit card to purchase items, im just hoping they dont have access to that info as I think its sort of private but who knows
Link Posted: 12/21/2014 10:36:10 AM EDT
[#17]
you show id in texas too...
Link Posted: 12/21/2014 10:37:49 AM EDT
[#18]
Link Posted: 12/21/2014 10:42:52 AM EDT
[#19]
Quoted:

Hell, I can't buy a toilet that can handle my power dump in one flush so am forced to flush 4 times wasting more water.  The $40 LED light bulbs burn out just as fast the CFL's that were supposed to be a God send over Edison's great invention.
View Quote

You are clearly doing it wrong.  The LED bulbs in my house have already paid for themselves, with help of a solar timer on porch lights and occupancy sensors in the kitchen and bathroom.  We did that project starting five years ago when bulbs weren't cheap.  The ROI kicked in about 18 months ago.  The one right over my head at this moment is the original bulb swapped out and is still kicking.

As for toilets,  you are also doing it wrong.  Get a dual switch,  one for yellow, one for brown.  Yellow is low water consumption because it doesn't require much liquid to flush liquid.  On the basis that you urinate far more frequently than you drop a deuce,  it saves money and doesn't require several flushes to discard your poo.
Link Posted: 12/21/2014 10:52:13 AM EDT
[#20]
ID for lighters. But not to vote?   FFS....
Link Posted: 12/21/2014 11:17:28 AM EDT
[#21]

Quoted:

ID for lighters. But not to vote?   FFS....
View Quote
+1

Link Posted: 12/21/2014 11:23:36 AM EDT
[#22]
I stopped in Rite-Aid to get a barbeque lighter Friday night. Clerk hunted around the store to find it for me, then asked for ID to sell it to me.

I'm a grey -beard.

She was apologetic, but I didn't mind. I doubt she looked long enough to find my birth date.
Link Posted: 12/21/2014 11:25:09 AM EDT
[#23]
They ask for mine for buying 2 cans of compressed air.
Link Posted: 12/21/2014 11:36:39 AM EDT
[#24]
a lot of you basement dwelling virgins will protest about anything
Link Posted: 12/21/2014 11:37:56 AM EDT
[#25]
They ask for id at my local chain grocery store for drink mixers that don't even have the booze in it
Link Posted: 12/21/2014 11:38:19 AM EDT
[#26]
Quoted:
They ask for mine for buying 2 cans of compressed air.
View Quote

Huffers use that all the time.
DEA called one time because I was buying it by the pallet and the seller called them, it works great as a leak-detector in a vacuum system we had (sensor in the system detected a certain molecule included in a specific variety of the stuff), and it had a lot of leaks.

Kharn
Link Posted: 12/21/2014 11:40:34 AM EDT
[#27]
Quoted:
View Quote

Has it made ANYTHING or ANYONE actually safer or healthier?

It is like the Dept of Education.  Trillions spent and our publicly educated children are less educated and less competitive with the rest of the world, and have not improved on any standards.

"It's for your own good" is the biggest lie ever told.
Link Posted: 12/21/2014 11:43:20 AM EDT
[#28]
fake IDs how do they work
Link Posted: 12/21/2014 11:43:53 AM EDT
[#29]
Quoted:
Well I was at a wally world 7 years or so years ago and they wanted ID for a fucking can of spray paint.  I did a and said, I don't look fucking 30?    
They said we have to.  I said well then you can sashay back and put this on the self again.  The cashier said really?   I said yes you are being silly.   They said I'll get my manager I said good, he can put it back easier than you.  
View Quote

That's a state law in Texas and probably is in Wyoming.
Why treat the cashier poorly for doing her job and following the instructions management gave her in accordance with the law?
Hell I'm 52 and got carded at Costco liquor last week by one of the girls serving whiskey samples. I yelled across the store at my wife bragging about getting carded.

Link Posted: 12/21/2014 11:45:35 AM EDT
[#30]
Quoted:

How old are you?

It's too bad we can't turn the clock back to 1966 for all the members here that were born in the late 70's and later.  They all would be amazed at the lack of nannyism.

View All Quotes
Quoted:
Quoted:
Quoted:
Quoted:

''give me your papers".

Slippery slope

How old are you?

It's too bad we can't turn the clock back to 1966 for all the members here that were born in the late 70's and later.  They all would be amazed at the lack of nannyism.

I think that would scare many of them.
Link Posted: 12/21/2014 11:47:28 AM EDT
[#31]
Quoted:

''give me your papers".

Slippery slope

View All Quotes
Quoted:
Quoted:

''give me your papers".

Slippery slope

Jesus.......really?
So when should we check ids? Never?
What about when someone who looks 14 is buying beer?

Link Posted: 12/21/2014 11:48:50 AM EDT
[#32]
whats yer phone number
555-1212

whats yer zip code

you don't have to give UP any real truth INFO to those that
don't NEED it...
Link Posted: 12/21/2014 11:49:42 AM EDT
[#33]
Quoted:
Scanning the ID verifies date of birth for the computer. Many stores no longer trust the judgment of their employees in verifying age.
View Quote

So what is the statutory age limit for buying a Bic lighter?
Link Posted: 12/21/2014 11:53:11 AM EDT
[#34]
Quoted:

Jesus.......really?

View All Quotes
Quoted:
Quoted:
Quoted:

''give me your papers".

Slippery slope

Jesus.......really?

if it looks like a duck (14)
it just might be a  duck (14)
NO SALE!!!
Link Posted: 12/21/2014 11:53:24 AM EDT
[#35]
I'm not big on the scanning, but I consent, I must be spineless, or too lazy for the hassle.
I've been getting asked inconsistently for ID on pretty much anything with a propellant for probably a decade. Great time to be alive.
Link Posted: 12/21/2014 11:56:04 AM EDT
[#36]
and  yer address might be
1313 mockingbird lane

make a id just for ALL these purposes...
Link Posted: 12/21/2014 11:59:17 AM EDT
[#37]
Quoted:

It's not that showing ID is the issue for certain things.  It's that the nanny state a its extension into nearly every "socially responsible" business wants to limit or control nearly every aspect of life today.  ID for lighters, propane tanks, cold medicine, spray paint, booze even if you look 50+, tobacco even if you look 50+ (and you will receive the woeful stare of victims of your vice).  

Hell, I can't buy a toilet that can handle my power dump in one flush so am forced to flush 4 times wasting more water.  The $40 LED light bulbs burn out just as fast the CFL's that were supposed to be a God send over Edison's great invention.  If they are so concerned about energy ask algore to hold off on his $10K/mos/mansion consumption.  

Solar power has a rate of return after I will be long dead and my 4 year old has begun collection social security.  For that matter wind in just 43 years after installation will actually still have a zero sum add to the power grid as the turbines are only expected to last 30 years.  

View All Quotes
Quoted:
Quoted:

Most people need to not reproduce and stop repeating the stupidity cycle.

If you hate it here in America that much, reach down, grab a pair if you can find them, pack your shit up, and fucking leave.
Link Posted: 12/21/2014 11:59:51 AM EDT
[#38]
Quoted:
View Quote

A better question is how in the hell did the Republic manage to exist for over two hundred years without requiring ID for a fucking lighter?
Link Posted: 12/21/2014 12:02:50 PM EDT
[#39]
Quoted:
1313 mockingbird lane

View Quote

lol
risk criminal charges with a fake id so you can buy spray paint, butane lighters and such incognito ?
Paranoid much?

Link Posted: 12/21/2014 12:03:07 PM EDT
[#40]
Quoted:
whats yer phone number
555-1212

whats yer zip code

you don't have to give UP any real truth INFO to those that
don't NEED it...
View Quote

My phone number is 867-5309.
Link Posted: 12/21/2014 12:04:38 PM EDT
[#41]
Quoted:

lol
risk criminal charges with a fake id so you can buy spray paint, butane lighters and such incognito ?
Paranoid much?

View All Quotes
Quoted:
Quoted:
1313 mockingbird lane

lol
Paranoid much?

whos going get  ya the store manager  (now) has the power of ARREST...theres a ...lol
Link Posted: 12/21/2014 12:05:35 PM EDT
[#42]
WHO THE HELL SHOPS AT TARGET ANYMORE ???

Link Posted: 12/21/2014 12:06:54 PM EDT
[#43]
Quoted:
WHO THE HELL SHOPS AT TARGET ANYMORE ???

View Quote

its owned by libs and (coc) people and run by employees of the same ilk
Link Posted: 12/21/2014 12:06:57 PM EDT
[#44]
Quoted:

whos going get  ya the store manager  (now) has the power of ARREST...theres a ...lol
View All Quotes
Quoted:
Quoted:
Quoted:
1313 mockingbird lane

lol
Paranoid much?

So if the store manager is the only one seeing your Id why do you need a fake one?
Link Posted: 12/21/2014 12:09:57 PM EDT
[#45]
Quoted:

So if the store manager is the only one seeing your Id why do you need a fake one?
View All Quotes
Quoted:
Quoted:
Quoted:
Quoted:
1313 mockingbird lane

lol
Paranoid much?

If the store manager is the only one seeing the ID, why does he need to see it at all - for items like spray paint, butane lighters, etc., where there are no
statutory limitations on who can buy?
Link Posted: 12/21/2014 12:10:03 PM EDT
[#46]
Quoted:

View All Quotes
Quoted:
Quoted:
Quoted:
Quoted:
1313 mockingbird lane

lol
Paranoid much?

i don't but for the sake of ARGUMENT...  
its the principal
noone will ever know, you use the REAL one for real reasons.

(and or store employee)
Link Posted: 12/21/2014 12:12:21 PM EDT
[#47]
I'd show my ID with name/address covered up, but I'm not about to let anyone scan it into their system.
Link Posted: 12/21/2014 12:15:28 PM EDT
[#48]

Quoted:

View All Quotes
Quoted:

Quoted:

^ This guy gets it!! ^

My folks bought a new set of appliances for their kitchen less than a month ago.  My mom notices the the dishes and the inside of the dishwasher are still wet after the drying cycle is complete, she reads the manual, double checks the settings, and then calls the number in the manual.  After a little trouble shooting, what do they end up telling her?!?  For her new "energy efficient and economically friendly" dishwasher, she needs to run the hot water in the sink for no less than 5 minutes to get the hot water in the lines to the dishwasher.  She actually tells the lady, "I didn't have to run the hot water for my old dishwasher, it was 15 years old, and it wasn't energy efficient nor economically friendly.  Now I have one that's supposedly better for the environment and I have to waste hot water to get it to work properly?"  

My little guy is going to be 2 in less than a month - I can't even imagine how fucked up and backwards shit's going to be when he's my age...
Link Posted: 12/21/2014 12:15:34 PM EDT
[#49]
i've been the position to ASK for IDs and
staring the person  purposely in the eye as he shows it to me i DON'T look (at the ID)and  say
in a clear voice Yes Sir your good to go, THANKS
Link Posted: 12/21/2014 12:17:29 PM EDT
[#50]
Female clerks ID me all the time when not necessary, because they want to see how old I am and maybe where I live....because I am just that handsome.
Arrow Left Previous Page
Page / 3
Close Join Our Mail List to Stay Up To Date! Win a FREE Membership!

Sign up for the ARFCOM weekly newsletter and be entered to win a free ARFCOM membership. One new winner* is announced every week!

You will receive an email every Friday morning featuring the latest chatter from the hottest topics, breaking news surrounding legislation, as well as exclusive deals only available to ARFCOM email subscribers.

By signing up you agree to our User Agreement. *Must have a registered ARFCOM account to win.
Top Top